Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Not sure who reported it first or I'd credit but Dixie St. TE Joe Don Duncan suffered a broken foot during training and won't be able to participate in the 2014 Senior Bowl. Bummer!
I was actually hoping to see him against an improved level of competition. Is that how Jacob Pedersen got in?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 AM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

Titanfan99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Andre Williams (RB) Boston College has dropped out of Senior Bowl.
Possibly because of a shoulder injury he received before BC's
bowl game...
Titanfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

Lamin Barrow (LB) LSU accepting Senior Bowl invitation...
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanfan99 View Post
Andre Williams (RB) Boston College has dropped out of Senior Bowl.
Possibly because of a shoulder injury he received before BC's
bowl game...
Would have liked to see him block/catch. Didn't do either at BC with anything resembling regularity.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just heard on ESPN radio that they will find out today if A.J will play in the senior bowl.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, it looks like Alabama QB A.J. McCarron has officially declined his Senior Bowl invite.

Just a stunning decision on so many levels. Probably a major mistake as well.

On the flip side I do hope this means we get to see Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo in Mobile. Unlike McCarron I am sure a guy like Garoppolo would relish the opportunity to showcase his talent, answer questions that scouts have about his game and improve his draft stock.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Last edited by Scott Wright : 01-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, it looks like Alabama QB A.J. McCarron has officially declined his Senior Bowl invite.

On the flip side I do hope this means we get to see Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo in Mobile. Unlike McCarron I am sure a guy like Garoppolo would relish the opportunity to showcase his talent, answer questions that scouts have about his game and improve his draft stock.
Have to think McCarron has some medical issues he's dealing with. Either that or he's just getting real bad advice.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I can't believe it's possible, but A.J. McCarron just proved he's substantially dumber than Geno Smith.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard some rumors that AJ wasn't very well liked by his teammates. Saban was bent on changing the offense which may or may not have anything to do with QB play. I doubt these two hurt him but he has a mouthy mom and just broke up with his gf. I dont know just seems to be a lot of stuff going on with him. Any chance he drops alot before may?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garrett Gilbert should be in instead of Jimmy Garoppolo.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Have to think McCarron has some medical issues he's dealing with. Either that or he's just getting real bad advice.
No Injury.

Here is an article with the family's explanation:

Quote:
Alabama QB AJ McCarron Declines Senior Bowl Invite
By Chase Goodbread

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron will not participate in the Reese's Senior Bowl, according to al.com. McCarron's choice to pass on the all-star game he grew up on in Mobile, Ala., will probably be criticized both locally and nationally -- and for different reasons -- but it was ultimately a business decision.

That's what his father, Tony, essentially said in describing what was a very tough call for his son.

"His agent thought that was best," Tony McCarron told College Football 24/7. "The reason AJ didn't say anything for sure before the bowl game is because he had already decided to put that decision in his agent's hands, but he didn't know who that was going to be yet. But that's the advice he got, and if you're going to pay those people, you've got to trust them. All I can say is, the people who criticize it don't have a thing to lose."

McCarron has hired agent Todd France. Efforts to reach Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage were unsuccessful.

McCarron is a Mobile, Ala., native and grew up well aware of his hometown all-star game at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Rosters often include a strong dose of talent from Alabama or Auburn, and Mobile natives such as McCarron are the favorites of local fans. McCarron's absence will break a streak of Senior Bowl quarterbacks who started at Alabama, from Brodie Croyle to John Parker Wilson to Greg McElroy. As such, it wasn't an easy decision for McCarron, a fifth-year senior who is proud of where he came from and has referred to himself as a "DIP kid" (Dauphin Island Parkway), the Mobile area he grew up in.

"I really appreciate being invited to play in the Senior Bowl," McCarron said. "It is quite an honor and something I've dreamed about while growing up in the Mobile area. However, at this time, I'm putting all of my focus and energy into preparing for the NFL Combine, pro day and the rest of the pre-draft evaluation process. Therefore, I won't be taking part in the Senior Bowl."

McCarron's decision opens a slot for another quarterback. Five have accepted Senior Bowl invitations, and typically, six are carried (three per squad). Other quarterbacks already committed include Fresno State's Derek Carr, Clemson's Tajh Boyd, San Jose State's David Fales, Miami's Stephen Morris and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas.

Tony McCarron said rumors that his son declined because he needs minor surgery are off base.

"I told a friend of mine, that must've been double-secret surgery, because I don't know anything about it," he said.

As for whether France delivered McCarron the right advice, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt's reaction included recognition of both perspectives.

"He's proved an awful lot in his career at Alabama and been very successful," Brandt said. "The one thing about going to the Senior Bowl and throwing to receivers you're not familiar with, it sometimes does not bring out the best in you. Obviously, you would like to see him there, you'd like to see him perform under game conditions. But we've seen him over three years under game conditions and how he reacts. The only thing is that he's putting his eggs into one basket now, and that's the Combine. Brandt added: "Remember, too, that Geno Smith also didn't play in the Senior Bowl last year. So this isn't something that's unusual. It happens."

Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of that.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't care less about the game.
I'm shocked that AJ believes it's in his best interest not to participate in practices against some of the elite college football talent in the country.

Ultimately it probably won't affect his draft status. He wasn't a first rounder anyway and probably ends up going in the 4th - 6th round.

Only character issues or off the field problems are going to change the opinion of what scouts see on film of McCarron.

But I do think McCarron had an outside chance to be taken high in the 2nd. Not now.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

The way I see it, the Senior Bowl has been far too much weight in evaluating. Many people literally use a few days of practice as a significant indicator of value which drastically alters a prospect's draft grade, sometimes by multiple rounds, even though these players have four years of experience in college football games to be evaluated on. For some players, such as those who didn't play against a high level of competition, the Senior Bowl is an opportunity to watch them against some top talent. But for a player like McCarron, who cares whether or not he accepted? He's been playing against some of the best defenses in the country for the past three years, operating in a pro-style offense. I think who he is as a player should be pretty clear to everyone by now. I'd much rather see someone like Garoppolo in there than McCarron.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 01-14-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsy82 View Post
Hmmm. Not sure what to make of that.
I think this is a huge indictment of how confident his handlers are in him. And I have no reason to think his handlers are stupid.

This reeks, to me, of a guy who may have bombed so badly that he'd fall to the 6-UDFA range.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
The way I see it, the Senior Bowl has been far too much weight in evaluating. Many people literally use a few days of practice as a significant indicator of value which drastically alters a prospect's draft grade, sometimes by multiple rounds, even though these players have four years of experience in college football games to be evaluated on. For some players, such as those who didn't play against a high level of competition, the Senior Bowl is an opportunity to watch them against some top talent. But for a player like McCarron, who cares whether or not he accepted? He's been playing against some of the best defenses in the country for the past three years, operating in a pro-style offense. I think who he is as a player should be pretty clear to everyone by now. I'd much rather see someone like Garoppolo in there than McCarron.
I'd rather see Garoppolo as well.

In regards to McCarron, what I personally would have liked to see is how he handles himself outside of the Bama cocoon. What happens when he doesn't have Nick Saban? What happens when he doesn't have an NFL-quality offensive line or the best running game in the country? How does he handle adversity? Skipping also raises questions about his competitiveness. After all it's not like he's considered to be a first rounder by most and some feel he isn't even a second or third rounder. Only time will tell whether McCarron made the right decision but I have a feeling he is going to regret not taking advantage of the Senior Bowl opportunity.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
This x100. AJ has played three years in the almighty SEC and the evaluation of his tape should be the greatest barometer. Choosing to wait for the Combine and Pro Day allow him to be in a more controlled environment than what the Senior Bowl may throw at him. I think he will show teams in his interviews how strong he is with the mental part of the game and during workouts he will show the adequate physical tools to be quarterback in the NFL. I still him going in the 2nd or high 3rd round.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn I couldn't disagree more.

Everyone knows what McCarron did in the SEC (with by far the best talent around him). And he was rarely the best player on the field.

The fear to me, is that when he goes to the Sr. Bowl, he'll continue to not be the best player on the field, which would doom him.

He's a farce of a prospect in terms of looking for a franchise QB in the top 4 rounds and this decision just backs that up.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Unfortunately Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack won't participate in the Senior Bowl, per his father.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCarron will have a chance at the combine, assuming he participates, to answer all the critics. It would have been nice to see him at the Senior Bowl from a competitive standpoint but it's hardly necessary.

The top 3 guys at the position right now won't be in Mobile so it isn't the end all for evaluating talent.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

The Senior Bowl announced that Alabama OLB Adrian Hubbard will participate as a junior!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 AM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

I would certainly make a poor GM...Any player that turned down the opportunity to play in the Senior Bowl would just get marked off my draft board...Too chicken to compete in less than perfect conditions...Especially QB's and small school guys with very little top competition---McCarron and Mack would be scratched...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garoppolo is officially in!
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanfan99 View Post
I would certainly make a poor GM...Any player that turned down the opportunity to play in the Senior Bowl would just get marked off my draft board...Too chicken to compete in less than perfect conditions...Especially QB's and small school guys with very little top competition---McCarron and Mack would be scratched...
If we were talking a prospect like Peyton Manning as a Senior, I could not fault them for skipping an all star game.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Senior Bowl is no longer a key for prospects. Thanked to hard rookie salary.

Today, all prospects will have a chance to improve themselves for better money during the rookie contract. If you are guaranteed to be drafted by 4th round then you have no reason to overwork yourself to climb into higher round.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote