Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is Craig Johnson's experience.

It looks like he has some experience with RBs, but certainly has more experience with QBs.

201113: Quarterbacks, Minnesota Vikings
2009-10: Running Backs, Tennessee Titans
2002-09: Quarterbacks, Tennessee Titans
2000-01: Offensive Assistant/Quality Control, Tennessee Titans
1997-98: Offensive Coordinator, University of Maryland, College Park
1997-99: Quarterbacks, University of Maryland, College Park
1992-96: Quarterbacks, Northwestern University
1989-91: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Virginia Military Institute
1986-88: Running Backs, Rutgers University
1985: Assistant Running Backs, Army
1984: Graduate Assistant, University of Arkansas
1983: Graduate Assistant, University of Wyoming
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One OL I am keeping an eye on is Notre Dame OT Zack Martin, he seems very similar to Pugh, perhaps with a little more polish.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Giants.com article on Johnson

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...c-9a56e24388a3

It is interesting the Titans moved him from QB to RB coach.

If they are looking to move Ryan from QB coach, could they be considering Gilbride Jr as TE Coach?

or are we waiting to line up potential replacements first?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard to say much about this hire. But Chris Johnson did have his two best years when this guy was the Titans RB coach. Also Fisher thought enough of him to have him on his staff for 10 years.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cruz: “We’re all rookies again” in new ‘O’

http://blog.northjersey.com/giants/3...gain-in-new-o/
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean...who really cares about a RB coach?

"Go run through the hole"

A blind monkey can do that ****. I don't give a **** about a RB coach.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I mean...who really cares about a RB coach?

"Go run through the hole"

A blind monkey can do that ****. I don't give a **** about a RB coach.
I don't like your attitude.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't like your attitude.
I'm just saying. Like, let's not turn into the Cowboys forum where we over-analyze the littlest things. It's a RB coach. The qualifications for rb coach are "do you have legs?"

WR and TE coach matter to me, but RBs are born with their gifts. You can either do it or you can't.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a bit more than that...

I.E. teaching pass blocking to a RB can be really challenging/difficult. Teaching proper ball security mechanics. Route running. Etc.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it really hard to pick up a blitzing player? You just run into him basically. It's not like they're part of the calls given at the line.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Is it really hard to pick up a blitzing player? You just run into him basically. It's not like they're part of the calls given at the line.
I mean, you are simplifying it quite a bit, especially since defenses disguise blitzes more often than not. Identifying a blitz, knowing proper mechanics, and how to prioritize incoming blitzes are all pretty significant I'd say. Pretty sure we all should realize that after some of the failures of our RBs to pick up blitzes this year.

Again, as fans, it's easy to say "LOL, HOW HARD IS IT TO TELL A RB WHERE TO RUN?" but I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't have jobs and get paid good money if that's all they did.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You prioritize by running into the guy closer to the QB. If you have 2 free guys running at the QB you're pretty much screwed anyway. In terms of all of football it's one of the easier things to learn.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think you're making the job to sound a lot more difficult than it really is. Majority of RBs out there are just incredibly stupid, that's why it's hard for them to pick it up.

Blitz pick up is not complicated. Especially when the Qb identifies your guy half the time and lines you up properly anyway.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Like I said, I'm just fan. I haven't played the RB position at the professional level so I think it's very absurd for us to sit here and pretend is simple/easy. I've seen a lot of RBs coaches who do a ton of vision drills/exercises to improve vision, ball security mechanics, etc.

You can simplify anything if you want to. All the quarterback does is read the defense and go through his reads. Maybe change a play now and then.

All WRs do is run their routes, read the coverage, and react.

While I do believe the RB position is the easiest transition (and LB too) from college to the pros, that does in no way mean it is simple or easy to understand.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Oh the "we didn't play so we have no idea what it's like" card.

Please.

You give these guys too much credit. Any job can be viewed as difficult, but we all know some jobs aren't.

In the grand scheme of football, RB is an easy position to play. You either have it or you don't. It's incredibly rare to see a RB get "developed"

They come out of the gates ready made. Minus pass protection, which is not nearly as complex as we make it sound. You have at most 3 gaps you have to account for before the snap, and you block whoever comes out of those gaps. Whoopidy doo.

The qb and/or C is directing the protection before the snap. You pick up your guy. In the event of a breakdown, you adlib and pick up the guy who's closest to the Qb.

It's not rocket science. For what it's worth, old playbooks are available online every now and then for those interested in that sort of thing.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea makes perfect sense. Coughlin would fire one of his long time friends because his position as RB coach doesn't matter.. makes perfect sense.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

It is interesting that we haven't filled the TE spot yet.

There have been the rumours of moving Sean Ryan, I am wondering if Ryan gets moved to WR or maybe even TE.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Pepper Johnson is leaving the Patriots, I would really like to see him get a coaching job here
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Pepper could be a solid LB coach. I think he's looking to go to a place where he can become DC though.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Houston or Cleveland. He has ties to O'Brien obviously and ties to Lombardi in Cleveland.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I reading the sports section today. IF Ross gets fired or leaves for a GM job, I want Ron Wolf's son, Eliot Wolf to be our guy. Ron Wolf is my favorite GM. I read his book which is a must for all football fans. Gives a great insight to a GM's job. It's my favorite football book.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

So what makes Elliot qualified then? Being Ron's son?

Ron is iconic, but I don't want to give Elliot the job just bc he's Ron's son. He better be qualified for it and he should earn it in the interview process.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh the "we didn't play so we have no idea what it's like" card.

Please.

You give these guys too much credit. Any job can be viewed as difficult, but we all know some jobs aren't.

In the grand scheme of football, RB is an easy position to play. You either have it or you don't. It's incredibly rare to see a RB get "developed"

They come out of the gates ready made. Minus pass protection, which is not nearly as complex as we make it sound. You have at most 3 gaps you have to account for before the snap, and you block whoever comes out of those gaps. Whoopidy doo.

The qb and/or C is directing the protection before the snap. You pick up your guy. In the event of a breakdown, you adlib and pick up the guy who's closest to the Qb.

It's not rocket science. For what it's worth, old playbooks are available online every now and then for those interested in that sort of thing.

People always say that and it bothers me. It's not rocket science. No one said it had to be. In fact, why does it have to be that difficult to that degree. It sure isn't easy because of the many pass pro "plays" one has to know.

One major thing to consider is that football players, at all levels are stupid. I coached and was responsible for my TE corps grades. I took pride in this issue. Ready, out of all the positions coached, my guys had good grades. As and Bs, and didn't get called out by the HC.

Usually all the coaches meet with the HC, and the HC reads off players names and grades and classes which the are failing. My guys were not on the list. Why? I told them to come to me and kept on them after each test and told them to come to me. I made the game fun for them. I even had a thing where they told me who they hooked up and went around the circle and who was getting the most booty. I related to my guys and the best compliment was that since all the players days of playing ball, I was his favorite coach.

I was shocked though at how stupid our team was when it came to grades. Most of them were failing multiple classes! This was D3!!! Imagine D2, 1-AA, and 1-A.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
So what makes Elliot qualified then? Being Ron's son?

Ron is iconic, but I don't want to give Elliot the job just bc he's Ron's son. He better be qualified for it and he should earn it in the interview process.
He is high level in the Packers org. They have done well. And according to the article, the guys been watching film since he was a child. I would like him to get interviewed at least.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
He is high level in the Packers org. They have done well. And according to the article, the guys been watching film since he was a child. I would like him to get interviewed at least.
Hmm, have they? The Packers really aren't that talented. Their OL is in shambles, their defense is awful, it's basically Rodgers and 3 WRs vs the world.

Their WR core and Rodgers are great. They struggled to find RBs or develop OL just like us. Their defense outside of Clay Matthews is awful.

I would argue that he hasn't done a good job scouting if he's involved heavily in that area.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Hmm, have they? The Packers really aren't that talented. Their OL is in shambles, their defense is awful, it's basically Rodgers and 3 WRs vs the world.

Their WR core and Rodgers are great. They struggled to find RBs or develop OL just like us. Their defense outside of Clay Matthews is awful.

I would argue that he hasn't done a good job scouting if he's involved heavily in that area.
Well he isn't the GM. TT runs everything. Our structure is such that the Director of Scouting runs the draft. So it was:

Tom Boisture G. Young
Marv Sunderland EA
Jerry Reese EA
Jerry Reese Jerry Reese
Marc Ross Jerry Reese

I am not sure the Packers dynamic but judging by the book I guess their GM usually holds the power.