Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you, Torrey Smith must be pretty happy as well. What would he have out of his number 2 and 3 wrs? I remember a while back you had Johnson/Jones and Walters. So I assume he likes to go deep with those 2 vertical threats and have a possession #3 WR
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Thank you, Torrey Smith must be pretty happy as well. What would he have out of his number 2 and 3 wrs? I remember a while back you had Johnson/Jones and Walters. So I assume he likes to go deep with those 2 vertical threats and have a possession #3 WR
You are welcome. I think he should be happy as well. Ravens threw it Smith's way a lot this year and I would be willing to bet they throw even more to him this coming season. He should have a lot of deep passes coming his way. Rice would fit well in his offense too. I think he will definitely try and get him going and then do a lot of fakes like he did with Foster/Tate. He wasn't a big fan of the other WRs with us until this year. Probably because Jones always fumbled for us and Walters never would get open. Andre Johnson had like 185 targets while Hopkins had half of that at 90ish. Granted, a lot of that is probably due to the fact that Foster and Tate went down and we had no other choice but to throw the ball all game.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what is the consensus? I have to say I want them to get Manziel, although I am really uneasy about him. Wouldnt it be exciting though, just from the sexy aspect?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
User Actions
Follow

John McClain
‏@McClain_on_NFL
I've been saying 4 weeks and I will say until I believe differently, but the Texans are taking a quarterback. I'll be shocked if they don't.
Reply Retweet Favorite
McClain is definitely reliable, but does he usually know draft info?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it will be Bortles with the connection with the QB coach having coached at UCF. O'Brian also got to watch Bortles play against PSU as well.

I want them to trade down and then take best available. The more this offseason goes along, the more cocky Bridgewater seems to be. You want your qb to be confident but he seems to be more on the cocky side. I know it wont happen, but I am probably one of the few Derek Carr fans on this site. I got to watch him play a lot when Fresno played NMSU. Can't argue with 5000 yards, 50 td's, and 8 picks though.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 03-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A buddy of mine is high on Carr as well. Some could probably recirculate jerseys!

I too think a trade down is the way to go, if it will be available. And I think it will.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
A buddy of mine is high on Carr as well. Some could probably recirculate jerseys!

I too think a trade down is the way to go, if it will be available. And I think it will.
One thing David Carr always brought to the table was that he was a class act. We never gave him help and he always picked himself off of the turf and went to the next play. Derek seems to be the same way. I wouldn't mind a second round pick on him and maybe he will make it to that point with Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel in this draft.

We could go in a ton of directions if we traded down. Andre won't be around forever and Mike Evans to help out with Deandre would be sick. Eric Ebron to take over for injured OD would look good. Matthews, Mack, Barr, Mosley, Clinton-Dix, and Justin Gilbert would fit in as well. I think we could easily get a lot of good trade down options with Bortles, Bridgewater, and Clowney in the draft. One option is Atlanta at 6 that already has given up a lot for Julio Jones and could do it again for Clowney. He would fit better on their team than ours. That would give us a 2015 first round pick and some extra power to be able to get Winston, Mariota, Hundley, Petty, or Braxton Miller depending on how they do. That is if we don't go the Derek Carr route and let Schaub and Keenum battle it out one more year.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 03-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default With Shuab gone

its a lock you take a QB......the question is, which one.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownmaker View Post
its a lock you take a QB......the question is, which one.
I have been guessing it will be Bortles and it seems he is the leader so far. There goes trading down like I was hoping for though.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Clowney is the guy.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you guys be open to trading a third or a second for Ryan Mallet?

That is the only scenario that I see you guys getting both a decent QB and Clowney.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Would you guys be open to trading a third or a second for Ryan Mallet?

That is the only scenario that I see you guys getting both a decent QB and Clowney.
I'm not a huge Mallett fan. Mostly based off his college days - I honestly haven't paid much attention to him in New England. I think it's basically a waste of a high draft pick though. Might as well stack up on talent and take a chance this year with Fitzpatrick or Keenum. If we end up being bad again, we have a shot at Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Bryce Petty, Brett Hundley, or maybe someone who hasn't popped up on the radar yet. All in all, I think the top of next year's QB class is a lot better than this year's.

I just don't want to see another 1. Carr 2. Peppers scenario. We all know how that played out.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I'm not a huge Mallett fan. Mostly based off his college days - I honestly haven't paid much attention to him in New England. I think it's basically a waste of a high draft pick though. Might as well stack up on talent and take a chance this year with Fitzpatrick or Keenum. If we end up being bad again, we have a shot at Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Bryce Petty, Brett Hundley, or maybe someone who hasn't popped up on the radar yet. All in all, I think the top of next year's QB class is a lot better than this year's.

I just don't want to see another 1. Carr 2. Peppers scenario. We all know how that played out.
I don't get why everyone makes a big deal out of the Carr vs Peppers scenario. We were a brand new team in the league and had to go with either Carr or Harrington in that situation. I would have done it too. Now as far as playing Carr immediately is a different question. I would have called anyone crazy for being a brand new franchise and passing up on the quarterback.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

Quote:

At least you guys made up for it later by taking Mario Williams over Vince Young and Reggie Bush. Sure you had to endure that comeback game....but the equation sorted itself in the long run, lol.

Yeah, the reason why I asked was that Mallet knows O'brien's system, is the prototypical QB for his system, and he has one of the five strongest arms in the league, and got to see how the best QB in the game goes about his business. The Pats were asking around for a second rounder last year, and if you trade down in the first and stay in the top ten, you could pick up an extra 2nd rounder.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Loftin
Rookie

Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I'm an Aggie and have been to every A&M home game for the last 10 seasons.

That being said, I don't jump all over every Aggie prospect. I thought Tannehill was a little (not a lot) overrated, and I believed that Stephen McGee had no business getting drafted.

I have seen every snap of Manziel's career, so I feel like I have a good feel for what he can and can't do. I have absolute faith in his ability to do ANYTHING asked of him on a football field. If the Texans pass on Manziel it will be the biggest mistake in franchise history. This is the guy who is loved by his own fans and other teams HATE to play him. If the Texans take Bortles, like mocks have been saying for the last 2 weeks or so, it will forever be the answer to a trivia question. "Who was the QB taken ahead of hall of famer Johnny Manziel in the 2014 NFL draft?"

Do the right thing, Texans. Take Johnny Football.
Loftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftin View Post
Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I'm an Aggie and have been to every A&M home game for the last 10 seasons.

That being said, I don't jump all over every Aggie prospect. I thought Tannehill was a little (not a lot) overrated, and I believed that Stephen McGee had no business getting drafted.

I have seen every snap of Manziel's career, so I feel like I have a good feel for what he can and can't do. I have absolute faith in his ability to do ANYTHING asked of him on a football field. If the Texans pass on Manziel it will be the biggest mistake in franchise history. This is the guy who is loved by his own fans and other teams HATE to play him. If the Texans take Bortles, like mocks have been saying for the last 2 weeks or so, it will forever be the answer to a trivia question. "Who was the QB taken ahead of hall of famer Johnny Manziel in the 2014 NFL draft?"

Do the right thing, Texans. Take Johnny Football.
Clowney is 50 pounds heavier, stronger, and faster than Manziel. Manziel won't be able to use his scrambling in the pros. Plus, it doesn't hurt that your help comes from Joekel, Matthews, and Mike Evans. Give Bortles those 3 guys and he could put up insane numbers. I would rather trade down, but with Schaub gone, I don't see us letting Fitzpatrick be the starter without someone learning behind him.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
At least you guys made up for it later by taking Mario Williams over Vince Young and Reggie Bush. Sure you had to endure that comeback game....but the equation sorted itself in the long run, lol.

Yeah, the reason why I asked was that Mallet knows O'brien's system, is the prototypical QB for his system, and he has one of the five strongest arms in the league, and got to see how the best QB in the game goes about his business. The Pats were asking around for a second rounder last year, and if you trade down in the first and stay in the top ten, you could pick up an extra 2nd rounder.
I thought it was an easy pick but I got bashed for it a ton. VY took almost all of his snaps out of the shotgun and that isn't the Texans game plan. Plus, we run the ZBS which Bush does not. In fact, he was probably the exact opposite of a ZBS runner coming out of college. Kubiak was coming in and we were moving from a 34 to a 43 so it made sense to go with the top DE in the league.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Why are some mocks giving us Clowney? Do they really think he can be a 34 DE or do they think he will be a 34 DE/OLB hybrid like we did with Mario for a season?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Why are some mocks giving us Clowney? Do they really think he can be a 34 DE or do they think he will be a 34 DE/OLB hybrid like we did with Mario for a season?
Yeah,
I hear that they would make him into a Willie McGinnest type player. You certainly can't make him into a 3-4 DE, you already have one that rushes the passer, you can't have two.

Scheme wise, it doesn't seem like a clean fit.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

Quote:
Funny, I just ran into this, lol.

Start at 15:04 for an answer to your question The Clowney Pro day podcast
http://www.nfl.com/podcast/nfl-draft-tracker-podcast
Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought it was an easy pick but I got bashed for it a ton. VY took almost all of his snaps out of the shotgun and that isn't the Texans game plan. Plus, we run the ZBS which Bush does not. In fact, he was probably the exact opposite of a ZBS runner coming out of college. Kubiak was coming in and we were moving from a 34 to a 43 so it made sense to go with the top DE in the league.
I had no problem taking Mario that year. The Texans have had poor fortune when it comes to #1 picks. All three years have had massive questions about top QB prospects. The Colts one bad year in the past decade had the second coming of John Elway. Why can't we be so lucky?

I don't think you take a QB just because you need one. It's always a risk, but it has to be calculated. It sets the franchise back at least 2 years, and more likely 4-5 when you miss. And recent history shows most of these first round QB's being flops. It's one thing if there isn't another top player on the board. But when Clowney (who's the DE equivalent of an Andrew Luck) is there, you take him. There are a handful of guys who are in the discussion this year and they all have massive question marks. Clowney's revolves around him taking some plays off because he's too good and got lazy. With $25 million in guaranteed money on the line, who wouldn't be a little cautious? Manziel is the most tempting alternative to me, and I wouldn't be upset if we took him, but I'd much rather go with the once in a decade prospect.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
I had no problem taking Mario that year. The Texans have had poor fortune when it comes to #1 picks. All three years have had massive questions about top QB prospects. The Colts one bad year in the past decade had the second coming of John Elway. Why can't we be so lucky?

I don't think you take a QB just because you need one. It's always a risk, but it has to be calculated. It sets the franchise back at least 2 years, and more likely 4-5 when you miss. And recent history shows most of these first round QB's being flops. It's one thing if there isn't another top player on the board. But when Clowney (who's the DE equivalent of an Andrew Luck) is there, you take him. There are a handful of guys who are in the discussion this year and they all have massive question marks. Clowney's revolves around him taking some plays off because he's too good and got lazy. With $25 million in guaranteed money on the line, who wouldn't be a little cautious? Manziel is the most tempting alternative to me, and I wouldn't be upset if we took him, but I'd much rather go with the once in a decade prospect.
I would have to see Crennel's game plan with Clowney before fully going on board. I just don't see where he fits other than what we did with Mario and had him at the line but standing up. That didn't work all that great for us. I don't want to move to a 43 and have JJ further away from the QB, and I don't want Clowney dropping back at all. CJ Mosley, Mack, and Barr would all be better options than Clowney at OLB. If we didn't have Watt then I would say to move to a 43 and pick Clowney in a heart beat.

Next year has a lot of talent at qb, so I would trade down, get a 2015 first rounder, and take best available, but I don't see it happening.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would have to see Crennel's game plan with Clowney before fully going on board. I just don't see where he fits other than what we did with Mario and had him at the line but standing up. That didn't work all that great for us. I don't want to move to a 43 and have JJ further away from the QB, and I don't want Clowney dropping back at all. CJ Mosley, Mack, and Barr would all be better options than Clowney at OLB. If we didn't have Watt then I would say to move to a 43 and pick Clowney in a heart beat.

Next year has a lot of talent at qb, so I would trade down, get a 2015 first rounder, and take best available, but I don't see it happening.
The Chiefs were in some sort of nickel package about 70% of the time last year. So I'd imagine in that front we'd have Mercilus and Clowney at the ends and Watt and Jared Crick/Jerrell Powe inside. Cushing and Reed at LB. Maybe even play Swearinger as the 2nd LB like Antrell Rolle. Kendrick Lewis and Chris Clemons at safety. Brandon Harris at the nickel? I'd hope we can find someone else to fill that role if he doesn't show significant improvement.

Otherwise, I'd expect a base 3-4 to be a little different than last year. Wade's scheme is different in that he likes the down linemen to shoot the gaps a lot more, specifically at NT. Powe is a fireplug in the middle, and I expect Crick to take Antonio Smith's spot as Crick is a solid player against the run while still offering some pass rush. I'd hope they pull the trigger moving Brooks Reed inside. Clowney and Mercilus would be movable pieces depending on how they wanted to attack but I'd imagine Clowney would be used a little like Suggs in Baltimore, at a 2 point stance but angled off the tackle and 1 step off the LOS. Aside from an occasional middle or flat zone drop, he'd be driving the tackle back towards the center, setting the edge for an outside run or collapsing the middle to clog up those running lanes. I don't see any issue with his pass rush because of his exceptional length, he'll be able to keep the tackles arms away from him and use a variety of moves to get to the QB. The tackle could get a good lunge at him in the running game since Clowney wouldn't be starting out with the leverage from a 3 point stance, so I'd imagine the coaches will work on using the tackles aggressiveness and momentum to shred that reach block. He's so gifted athletically, it will just take teaching and he can do anything you need him to. The hard part will be keeping him dialed in with his technique early on.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Khalil Mack get any consideration at #1? It's ideal to think you can move up but moving up to #1 simply does not happen often historically. If you don't take Clowney #1 your options dwindle down to Bortles or Manziel if you believe in them, and then maybe Robinson. Other than that it's tough to say.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
The Chiefs were in some sort of nickel package about 70% of the time last year. So I'd imagine in that front we'd have Mercilus and Clowney at the ends and Watt and Jared Crick/Jerrell Powe inside. Cushing and Reed at LB. Maybe even play Swearinger as the 2nd LB like Antrell Rolle. Kendrick Lewis and Chris Clemons at safety. Brandon Harris at the nickel? I'd hope we can find someone else to fill that role if he doesn't show significant improvement.

Otherwise, I'd expect a base 3-4 to be a little different than last year. Wade's scheme is different in that he likes the down linemen to shoot the gaps a lot more, specifically at NT. Powe is a fireplug in the middle, and I expect Crick to take Antonio Smith's spot as Crick is a solid player against the run while still offering some pass rush. I'd hope they pull the trigger moving Brooks Reed inside. Clowney and Mercilus would be movable pieces depending on how they wanted to attack but I'd imagine Clowney would be used a little like Suggs in Baltimore, at a 2 point stance but angled off the tackle and 1 step off the LOS. Aside from an occasional middle or flat zone drop, he'd be driving the tackle back towards the center, setting the edge for an outside run or collapsing the middle to clog up those running lanes. I don't see any issue with his pass rush because of his exceptional length, he'll be able to keep the tackles arms away from him and use a variety of moves to get to the QB. The tackle could get a good lunge at him in the running game since Clowney wouldn't be starting out with the leverage from a 3 point stance, so I'd imagine the coaches will work on using the tackles aggressiveness and momentum to shred that reach block. He's so gifted athletically, it will just take teaching and he can do anything you need him to. The hard part will be keeping him dialed in with his technique early on.
I think it is down to using Clowney like we used Mario a couple of years ago or to move to a 43. Still don't know how I feel about either one. Moving to a 43 and pushing Watt inside could be done but I don't know about taking him out of his comfort zone when he has been the DPOY in the 34. I would rather have Clowney than Bortles although I think Bortles will be the pick.