Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a crazy one from the thinking that CJ Mosley eventually replaced Tulloch
Round 1 Louis Nix DT (trade Fairley). DT set with Suh extension(plus Lions get 7 million in cap space in 2014), get a decent pick for Fairley, don't have to worry about Fairleys' inconsistencies or weight issues
Round 2 TE Austin Sefarian Jenkins
Round 3 WR Allen Robinson

Whatever pick we get for Fairley, use on a CB, safety or another WR.

Plus you could get a good CB or WR in free agency with letting Pettigrew walk. Verner,Sam Shields, Tarell Brown, Vontae Davis, Brent Grimes, Rodgers Cromartie. Get Mathis back on the vet min (no extra cap hit). I think Houston can get back to 2010-2012 form and Slay has the talent, just needs to develop and get consistent.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cornerback/

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/
Maclin, Jacoby Jones, Josh Morgan, Doug Baldwin, James Jones, Nicks, Eric Decker, Andre Roberts (slot), Golden Tate (slot), Emmanuel Sanders

Cheaper guys Heyward Bey, Jerome Simpson or Kenny Britt.

I think Baldwin, Decker or James Jones or Jacoby Jones would be nice additions. Anything is an upgrade over 80 targets for Kris Durham on the outside.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 02-07-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
At that point you try to trade down then. Each one of those players are not the clear cut best player at their position besides HaHa.

I personally think Denard is the 2nd 3rd best corner but him and Gilbert are essentially 1a and 1b. (Verrett could be better than both of them IMO)

Ebron and Amaro are very close and it could come down to what teams like who.

Evans is already #2 and he may even be 2a with Lee as 2b.

If that's the case try and move down because you should be able to get the same quality 5-7 spots lower (unless we want a WR no matter what). I also think Mosley shouldn't be ruled out as it gives us a cheap replacement for Tulloch in a year or 2.
As I stated, I'm on board with moving down. I don't think any of those players represent poor value at 10 either though. You have to have the offer as was discussed.

My one disagreement is that I think there is a HUGE gap between Dennard and Gilbert. I think that will come out over time, as teams watch film, the combine happens, etc.

In the end, I want a TE though. At every other position of need, I see other options in later rounds or free agency. Not so with an impact TE.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The CB race will be one of the more interesting things to watch between now and draft time. I personally expect Denard to run slow and I just question the level of talent he faced in the Big Ten. Especially considering he didn't even face PSU or Wisco who had 2 of the better WRs in the conference this year. Time will tell and I certianly wouldn't not be upset if one of these guys really pulls away from the rest of the pack.

I agree with you about TE and the depth in the draft. The question I have though is whether we really view TE as that big of a need. Do we think Fauria can fill that need in an offense that utilizes the TE more in the passing game?

I guess the choice between TE and WR (if we choose to go offense) will depend on Lombardi and what we want to do in the passing game. I personally don't think there is much of a difference between Ebron or Evans and if we are choosing between them i'd go with Ebron.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ntinue_pu.html

Austin likes bigger CBs.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice, I like bigger CBs as well(pre-seattle too haha).

detroit4life, I do not consider Fauria anything more than a gimmick player myself. He can't block or run routes. We really lack that reliable over the middle target who Stafford can look for on important mid level throws. I want an 80 catch guy at TE in today's NFL, even if Pettigrew is brought back. I think Amaro and Ebron are both very good and very safe prospects. I wouldn't be shocked if they're both gone by 15.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Pretty well every DC wants bigger CB's after watching Seattle win the SB, wanting them is one thing, finding them is quite another.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we stay at #10, I'd bet our choices will be between Robinson, Auburn(yes, I know he is getting a lot of hype but IMO, he could slide to #10), Lewan, Michigan, he will battle it out at the Combine with Robinson to see who goes earlier than #10. Of course, considering they are both LT's, they could go higher as you just have to look at last year's draft to realize how much LT's are in demand.
Them comes Hageman DT, Minny, C.J. Mosley ILB (has some injury concerns), Clinton-Dix S, Ebron TE and Marqise Lee WR, USC.

I don't think either Evans(he will run a slow 40) or Amaro are anywhere near the top 10.

You all know my preference, I'd take value and draft one of the OT's but even if they don't, my order would look something like this if you leave the OT's/DT out of the equation.

1) Clinton-Dix (Delmas will likely be cut). He's the best DB in this year's draft.
2) Marqise Lee (would be a great complement opposite Johnson)
3) Ebron (We would have to release Pettigrew which will impact our ability to run the ball and our ability to pass protect for Stafford as he is a very mediocre blocker)
4) C.J. Mosley (he has had injury problems in college so there is some risk) Should be a force at ILB.

Take your choice. As of right now, I don't think there is a CB worth drafting at #10. If we trade back a few spots, I believe most of these prospects would still be in play and a CB might also be worth a look.

Our only possibility for a trade back would be with a team looking for a LT and at least one of Robinson or Lewan is still available, otherwise a trade back looks impossible to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are mocks and then there is my mock. I have a clear bias for Khalil Mack. Much attention has been given to WR but I feel we need a corner more. Jason Verrett is smaller but is probably the best cover corner. Available. I assume Gilbert, Dennard and Verrett are drafted first round also maybe Robinson. So in the second I think we're looking at EJ Gaines or Lamarcus Joyner. In the third, I'm thinking Davante Adams or Paul Richardson. I do prefer waiting for combine measurements and forty times before sorting out later round choices.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

I wouldn't mind Joyner, as we have always lacked a strong ballhawk in our secondary, but overall I think we kind of have to bring the same group of CBs back. Mathis looked good and would be a good fit for one more year, Houston can't be cut and should be healthier, Slay was just a 2nd rounder, Bentley has showed some good signs as a nickel back and was a 3rd rounder just 2 years ago and Greenwood is probably the most physically impressive of the group.

I wouldn't mind Haha, but Alabama DBs scare me. Milliner,Jackson,Kirkpatrick and Barron have failed to impress to say the least. We do need a S though. I'm a big fan of Calvin Pryor. If we could some how snag him and Amaro it would be my dream draft.

Everyone is talking about Robinson, but he's the least probably to fall IMO. I think he's a lock for first OT off the board. Lewan and Matthews will fight for the 2nd spot, with Matthews likely winning out in the end.

Evans is a prospect who would scare me if we were almost any other team. The idea of putting the best 50/50 ball WR I've seen in quite a while opposite CJ though, being thrown to by Stafford, that's quite intriguing. If you can't help out over the top of Evans, you are in big, big trouble.

Lee has become quickly underrated. He put up sick numbers as a Frosh/Soph in a pro style offense and that shouldn't be overlooked. He doesn't have the elite hands that Watkins has, but his hands are good enough and otherwise they are pretty similar prospects.

I don't think DT is an option and I think Mosley will fall. He has injury issues and he isn't an elite LB prospect on the level of someone like Kuechly,Willis etc. He's solid value around 15-25 though.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
3) Ebron (We would have to release Pettigrew which will impact our ability to run the ball and our ability to pass protect for Stafford as he is a very mediocre blocker)
Pettigrew's run blocking is vastly overrated. PFF hasn't had his run block rating in positive territory since 2010.

He shouldn't be resigned, period.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I wouldn't mind Joyner, as we have always lacked a strong ballhawk in our secondary, but overall I think we kind of have to bring the same group of CBs back. Mathis looked good and would be a good fit for one more year, Houston can't be cut and should be healthier, Slay was just a 2nd rounder, Bentley has showed some good signs as a nickel back and was a 3rd rounder just 2 years ago and Greenwood is probably the most physically impressive of the group.

I wouldn't mind Haha, but Alabama DBs scare me. Milliner,Jackson,Kirkpatrick and Barron have failed to impress to say the least. We do need a S though. I'm a big fan of Calvin Pryor. If we could some how snag him and Amaro it would be my dream draft.

Everyone is talking about Robinson, but he's the least probably to fall IMO. I think he's a lock for first OT off the board. Lewan and Matthews will fight for the 2nd spot, with Matthews likely winning out in the end.

Evans is a prospect who would scare me if we were almost any other team. The idea of putting the best 50/50 ball WR I've seen in quite a while opposite CJ though, being thrown to by Stafford, that's quite intriguing. If you can't help out over the top of Evans, you are in big, big trouble.

Lee has become quickly underrated. He put up sick numbers as a Frosh/Soph in a pro style offense and that shouldn't be overlooked. He doesn't have the elite hands that Watkins has, but his hands are good enough and otherwise they are pretty similar prospects.

I don't think DT is an option and I think Mosley will fall. He has injury issues and he isn't an elite LB prospect on the level of someone like Kuechly,Willis etc. He's solid value around 15-25 though.

Agree with a lot but have to disagree about Matthews, I still believe he will be the first OT drafted although it isn't impossible for Robinson to go first.

I also think if it wasn't for the injury issues Mosley would be a cinch top 10 pick, he's definitely in the Willis/Kuechly range talent wise.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Bird
Rookie

Bird hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It seems like I see two players mocked to us: Evans and Ebron. I do not like Evans, I do not see the speed needed nor the route running necessary to succeed in the NFL.n He seems to make plays after Manzel ran around the play busted, and he was running back to the qb which also allows him to catch the ball with his body.
Ebron seems like he has much more speed, is able to catch the ball with his hands, high point the ball, and as a TE would be more versatile. I do worry he is too light to be an effective blocker. We will have the TE from Alabama who was on IR last year.
Ebron just makes more sense to me.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

It'd be very dissapointing to not get an impact TE from this draft IMO.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Cursed_Since_1957
Rookie

Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like Pettigrew will be a priority signing by the Lions.

The Lions are expected to turn their attention to re-signing free agent Brandon Pettigrew.

Detroit locked up C Dominic Raiola to a new one-year deal this week and will now shift its focus to Pettigrew. The burly tight end is an above-average blocker and can play all three downs, but the Lions need to not overpay here. If the Lions do re-up Pettigrew, they need to find a pass-catcher to pair with him at tight end.

Which begs the question, what do they do with Joseph Fauria then?
Cursed_Since_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

The Lions may attempt to re-sign Pettigrew, but the original story Rotoworld linked to is speculative based off of Lombardi's comments - not an actual report on what the team is doing.

In any case though, Fauria should still have his role as red zone role player with the team.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Yah, Fauria is a nice specialized weapon, but him and Williams should be the 3rd and 4th TEs on this roster. Pettigrew and Amaro/Ebronwould be awesome.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Yah, Fauria is a nice specialized weapon, but him and Williams should be the 3rd and 4th TEs on this roster. Pettigrew and Amaro/Ebronwould be awesome.
Are you seriously suggesting re-signing Pettigrew AND drafting a tight end high? That's ludicrous.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ebron is top three for me.
Mack, Wakins and Ebron
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Are you seriously suggesting re-signing Pettigrew AND drafting a tight end high? That's ludicrous.
Absolutely. Ebron/Amaro are going to line up in the slot and even outside a lot. We'd still need a player who could play heavy snaps at the TE spot. Williams and Fauria are too limited at this point to play such a role. There's only so much I'd pay Pettigrew though.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 AM    (permalink
Cursed_Since_1957
Rookie

Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cursed_Since_1957 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
This would be the exact issue i'd have with bringing back Pettigrew and already having Fauria as our red zone threat. Seems to me that drafting a Tight End high would be overkill.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about trading down to pick up an extra second and doubling up on LB and WR? Kyle Van Noy -> Jordan Matthews -> Christian Jones -> Jared Abbrederis(3rd) in that order. If we're going to be doing some more 3-4 looks we would need more linebackers. Van Noy and Levy on the outside with Jones and Tulloch in the middle. Jones also has experience at DE for when we're in a 4-3 set. For the receivers Matthews is our #2 and Abbrederis replaces Burleson in the slot?
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Good idea, but throw in more of a speed WR instead of Matthews if you are going to take Abrederris. Cooks or Beckham maybe.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...yl_austin.html

I don't think Mack is in play unless they feel he can move to DE.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Cursed_Since_1957
Rookie

Teryl Austin has compared Darius Slay to Jimmy Smith, who like Slay struggled in his rookie year. If we could see a Smith like jump from Slay in Slay's 2nd year we might have something afterall.

New Lions DC Teryl Austin compared Darius Slay to Ravens CB Jimmy Smith.
Austin spent the last three seasons as the Ravens secondary coach, helping Smith develop from an initial disaster to a plus starter with upside. There's similar appeal in Slay, a size/speed freak that was benched repeatedly during his up-and-down rookie year. The Lions' annually leaky secondary desperately needs Slay to emerge as a consistent asset opposite shaky top corner Chris Houston.
Related: Jimmy Smith
Source: detroitlions.com

I still think Corner in the first or second round should be in play because players like Greenwood, Bentley and Green are nothing more than Nickle Corner's at best and Houston could be on the downside of his career just less than a year removed from getting a long term contract from the Lions last free agency period.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...yl_austin.html

I don't think Mack is in play unless they feel he can move to DE.

Praying this is smoke screen. Would take Mack over Van Noy and Jones if he was there.
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote