Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really want us to significantly improve the offense this offseason. Everybody is jumping on the Seattle badnwagon of how to build a Superbowl team, but it's an unrealistic expectation.

Could our defense do with a few more pieces? Sure, but you look at how Seattle did it this year and you see a model which can't be replicated with any kind of success rate.

Game changing FS on his rookie deal. Top CB on his rookie deal. Playmaking LB on his rookie deal. 2 vet DEs on prove it deals. SS on a decent sized but not great deal etc.

When you combine this with the fact they aren't paying franchise QB money for their franchise QB then you get a perfect storm.

If you have a franchise QB you are paying well you can't have as complete a team as the Seahawks. It is the main benefit to teams of the rookie wage scale. If you draft Sam Bradford you can't build your team as well as you can if you draft Andrew Luck. I think in the next few years you will see an emergence of "bad" teams who become good for a few years. Once the QB gets paid, if he isn't transcendent then you will cripple your team by paying him - case in point the Ravens.

What the Pats can do is enhance the talent they have on defense and build their offense up to full strength. If you look at 2011 in particular you have a great offense with a bad defense. 2007 was our most complete team but we laid an egg in the Superbowl. Get Brady options in the passing game, shore up the offensive line and hope for emergence from Dobson and healthy year from Amendola and the offense will be back.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go after one proven WR in FA is all I ask for, at least knowing we tried would make me happy. Im sure a team will give him a big contract because thats what stupid organizations do, but I'm not sure if it will happen for Nicks after last year. Really hoping we can nab him for a "prove it" type deal without a ton of guaranteed money. That is of course after making sure we keep Talib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Go after one proven WR in FA is all I ask for, at least knowing we tried would make me happy. Im sure a team will give him a big contract because thats what stupid organizations do, but I'm not sure if it will happen for Nicks after last year. Really hoping we can nab him for a "prove it" type deal without a ton of guaranteed money. That is of course after making sure we keep Talib.
Exactly. I'm not into the idea of drafting a WR at all. We have 3 guys who hopefully all improve. That's good enough for me as far as development players. A vet FA would be ideal.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just dont trust our drafting abilities when it comes to the position. I know alot of you hold out hope for Dobson and Thompkins, but I don't see them all of a sudden stepping up into a legitimate #1. And I also don't think we should be settling for anything less than that while we still have Brady.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gronk is a #1 receiver, though.

Brady needs another TE and he needs to make Dobson and Thompkins better.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Gronk can't stay healthy and even if he could there is zero excuse to continue to let that position elude us because we have a bunch of Welker's and Te's through the years. I'm sorry but I'm not ok settling with Dobson and Thompkins.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signing a big time FA WR isn't going to happen.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I'm too aware and we'll all be sitting around on these parts next year asking why we continue to try the same formula when all its done for us is get us falling a game or two short of reaching the ultimate goal. Or at least in part serving why we fall short.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Fair enough. I'm just against drafting another WR.
I'm completely okay with going after a 'prove it' deal guy like Nicks.
We don't have the financial flexibility this year to go after a big WR.
Who exactly would we go after this year anyways? Decker? Eh.

I'd rather resign Talib, add to our trenches and add another TE to supplement Gronk and start in his absence.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Talib can get done reasonably. I'd take the Amendola for Sanders trade-off. I think Zach Miller is someone the Pats could talk into a reasonable one-year deal (you're playing with Tom Brady, you will post numbers, you will rake in 2015) .

Spikes is gone, but that frees Hightower to play in a more natural position. Collins is really promising

The Pats have a lot of great options. There is no way they are as injured as they were in 2013. It is notable that their most successful seasons occurred when they had a lot of injured players the year before.

Last edited by nepg : 02-08-2014 at 11:27 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dont need to sign a big deal WR but try for the 1-year deals to players like Sidney Rice, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt low risk high reward
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Dont need to sign a big deal WR but try for the 1-year deals to players like Sidney Rice, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt low risk high reward
I agree with this. That'd be ideal. I do think though that Matt Jones is correct when he brought up that we're a great contender to sign E. Sanders from Pitt. Makes sense.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I agree with this. That'd be ideal. I do think though that Matt Jones is correct when he brought up that we're a great contender to sign E. Sanders from Pitt. Makes sense.
Sanders is probably going to be a Patriot. The issue, though, is that he's more of a Deion Branch type of receiver. Bring in a 1-year downfield receiver to at the very least push Dobson and Thompkins to get better faster.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys.

Moncrief is gonna be a Pats and you're all gonna love it.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate when this happens, but every year I see a player that I really like and think would be great in NE, he falls to them, and then they go and either trade down or draft someone else.

This year, it's Stephon Tuitt. Tuitt would be insane opposite Jones. If NE is confident in their interior DL, taking Tuitt would give them a great DL or would allow them to play 3 man lines.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im right there with you on Tuitt, can really hide coverages with him
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

The general public and the Patriots front office view Ninkovich completely differently. I think, to them, Nink is the perfect guy on that side of the line. He does exactly what's asked of him every play, no matter the situation.

I think this is one of those years in which they trade their #1 pick.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I like Tuitt and all but I don't see him as this great prospect like some do. I am happy with Nink but I don't think he should be playing 95% of snaps in a year. He does his job which is all you can ask, the Pats just need someone who can come in and spell him and Chandler, unless there is a guy who can be a clear upgrade and then Nink can be the rotational guy.

I just don't think Tuitt is that guy. He could be a really good 5 technique which is another story. He and Chandler at 5 with Vince at the nose I like a lot. I think it also suits our LBs more.

But for that left end role that Nink plays I don't think Tuitt is that big of an upgrade, especially not in the first.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Anyone else gearing themselves up to be disappointed this year with the draft? This is the year to load up on receiving talent and/or defensive linemen. Yet, I believe the Pats will trade down and take an offensive lineman and a DB.

I will say I am quickly falling in love with 3 WRs who could realistically be available when he Pats pick. Marqise Lee, Davante Adams and Donte Moncrief, Wooty I am jumping on your bandwagon here.

This guy is big, can get off the jam and has some serious quicks. I think he would be perfect opposite Dobson. Two big bodied guys who can run and beat single coverage. It's what Pats fans have been crying out for

Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

YES! finally!

Moncrief would be amazing on the pats. If we can land him at 6'3 230 he can be a perfect compliment and potentially be our #1 receiver.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

How about Jernigan in round 1 ?

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
How about Jernigan in round 1 ?
I don't love Jernigan as most as some do, but where we are picking I like the value. Really, I have the top 4 DTs (Hageman, Nix, Donald and Jernigan) in my top 32 right now so at 29 I would be happy with any of them. Although I think based on size we can scratch Donald from the possibilities.

I suppose it all depends on who else is there but in a vaccuum I wouldn't complain

Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if the Hernandez situation would cause NE to be more careful about drafting a guy like Colt Lyerla or not. He definitely could come in and replace what Hernandez did.

That's the biggest reason I don't want to go near a guy like Amaro or even (if he somehow fell to us) Ebron.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

wouldn't go near him.
Cokehead who quit on his team. Is already on his 2nd agent
Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 AM    (permalink
ecupatsfan12
Rookie

ecupatsfan12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldn't touch Lyerla with a ten foot pole, he is nothing but trouble that we don't need.

- I think we should try to keep Talib/Edelman. Maybe franchise Edelman and pay Talib, would rather lose Edelman than Talib.
- Trade Mallett to Minnesota for a 5, and a 6 next year.
- Get Alex Mack, Sidney Rice, or Nicks. I would take Rice or Mack, doubt we will get Nicks.

Draft
1- Timmy Journigan- DT
2.Austin Sefarian Jenkins/Jace Amaro
2. Lamarcus Joyner-CB
3. Gabe Jackson- G
4. DeMarcus Lawrence- LB
5. Arthur Lynch- TE
6. Joel Bintonio- T
6. Aaron Murray/ Jeff Matthews QB
7. Marqueston Huff- DB

UDFA
Kevin Norwood- WR