Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's always good take something for your muscles like 30 min after you lift. It doesn't have to be a protein shake but some source of food because your muscles are starving for something right after you work out. I think it's more important then the pre workout.

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I usually have dinner right after I work out. I have a preworkout shake, and sometimes a banana or something light before I workout just so I don't go on an empty stomach, then I eat dinner right afterwards because I usually workout around 6, and I'm done by say 730 to 8'ish (including 30 min cardio) so I have dinner when I get back home.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eating beforehand is smart. Food is used for energy. If that's a shake, fine. You should also take a quick digesting protein immediately after lifting though. Your muscles have small tears in them after lifting. They are repaired by protein. This is how your muscles grow. I covered this in detail sometime in the last week.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My shake is whey protein. So maybe I should just do like a PB sandwich and banana before working out, and a shake plus dinner (low carbs or no carbs) after workout?

I know your muscles need protein to repair, and whey protein is quickly digested, that's why I took it before my workout, so it can work immediately as I need it. I'll start taking it afterwards now.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
My shake is whey protein. So maybe I should just do like a PB sandwich and banana before working out, and a shake plus dinner (low carbs or no carbs) after workout?

I know your muscles need protein to repair, and whey protein is quickly digested, that's why I took it before my workout, so it can work immediately as I need it. I'll start taking it afterwards now.
I mix up a double protein shake and ~30g of this and drink half of it 30 minutes pre-workout, and the 2nd half 30 min. after. I don't like eating a lot of carbs but some are necessary and doing it this way is an easy way to get a spike in energy when I need it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Usually before working out I hve a glass of Ovaltine and egg Sandwich with a banana.

And then, I take all my pre workout product.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

COC #1 is hard.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#TomHardysTraps
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

have any of you guys had to recover from a significant injury? how did it go?

i'm trying to get back to the gym after a leg injury and it ******* blows.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Working out with my football team blows. Sucks being a tall scrawny guy, but I have made some significant improvements since my rookie year. Bench is the worst for me though, I have long ass arms and no chest to speak of, hoping to throw up 185 at least 5 times by the end of April.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyJob View Post
have any of you guys had to recover from a significant injury? how did it go?

i'm trying to get back to the gym after a leg injury and it ******* blows.
I've never had to recover from a significant injury, but I've considered how I will deal with it if it ever happens to me. Can you afford a trainer or physical therapist to help you? If not, you may consider researching how to best go about rehabbing yourself. Doing things the right way can mean the difference between making a full recovery or potentially making things worse. What did you do to your leg?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have started doing physical therapy, and it has definitely helped out since i've started. i wouldn't consider getting a personal trainer because i'm fairly confident i know more than the majority of them, but physical therapy has shown me some things that i otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

i have talked to my doctor and ran through everything i'd been doing to make sure i wasn't doing myself any harm, and she approved everything. most of my workouts have been confined to the pool at my gym where i'll do 20-30 minutes of laps in the pool. aside from laps, i'll walk the length of the pool (25 yards) trying to kick my feet out of the water, and do some lateral leg lifts. it does pain my leg, but not to the point where i'm doing any damage i'd hope.

i broke my right femur. it was fantastic.

edit// i mostly wanted to know if anybody felt the same lethargy toward hitting the gym as i do currently, and how they got over it. prior to the injury, i'd look forward to the gym, but just getting back into the motions of things has been a *****. BUT! if you've got any insight or advice i could apply towards this thing, i'd be glad to hear it.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Working out with my football team blows. Sucks being a tall scrawny guy, but I have made some significant improvements since my rookie year. Bench is the worst for me though, I have long ass arms and no chest to speak of, hoping to throw up 185 at least 5 times by the end of April.
what #'s are you sitting at right now?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyJob View Post
i have started doing physical therapy, and it has definitely helped out since i've started. i wouldn't consider getting a personal trainer because i'm fairly confident i know more than the majority of them, but physical therapy has shown me some things that i otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

i have talked to my doctor and ran through everything i'd been doing to make sure i wasn't doing myself any harm, and she approved everything. most of my workouts have been confined to the pool at my gym where i'll do 20-30 minutes of laps in the pool. aside from laps, i'll walk the length of the pool (25 yards) trying to kick my feet out of the water, and do some lateral leg lifts. it does pain my leg, but not to the point where i'm doing any damage i'd hope.

i broke my right femur. it was fantastic.

edit// i mostly wanted to know if anybody felt the same lethargy toward hitting the gym as i do currently, and how they got over it. prior to the injury, i'd look forward to the gym, but just getting back into the motions of things has been a *****. BUT! if you've got any insight or advice i could apply towards this thing, i'd be glad to hear it.
Complete break?

A good trainer will know how to adjust exercises and expectations for most injuries. However, I'd rather stick with PT for the early stages, and a trainer for the later stages. IMO, it is better to have dedicated time targeted specifically at healing from an injury.

For getting back into the gym, I'd say find a reason to continue going. Set a goal that you can achieve, find a friend etc. Simple things. It could be something like increasing the distance you can walk in the pool each time.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

yeah, it was a complete break. it didn't break the skin, but it was poking pretty good.

i know a few very good personal trainers personally (for lack of a better word), just the ones at the gym I actually go to leave a lot to be desired. PT is worth the money; they always show me something I otherwise wouldn't have known or even thought of.

the pool has been good to me. i'm about 2 months into recovery, and i've been walking pretty well for a few weeks now. just waiting to get back to being able to enjoy my time at the gym instead of dreading it...the thought of how badly my bench/squat/DL have deteriorated is depressing haha.

in conclusion, swimming is boring.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like a lot of people struggle with motivation to get to the gym. What worked for me was to find something different that the "old school" style of training. Especially when it involves training by yourself. Going to the gym and lifting on your own just gets old after a while. Consider trying some different training methods in a group setting. I'm a big believer in CrossFit and attend a class up to 6 times a week. Yes, it costs, but it's a worthy investment for me. If you attend a college, find out if they have a power lifting club. Playing a sport is another option. Doing something that involves more than training at the same ole gym by yourself all the time can do wonders for your motivation.

edit: That must have sucked to break your freaking femur. I'd be scared as hell that I'd bleed to death. Glad you seem to be relatively well.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tend to use hate as my motivation to lift. Sith style.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I prefer lifting alone. Most people talk too much to keep it going.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 AM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Playing a sport is another option. Doing something that involves more than training at the same ole gym by yourself all the time can do wonders for your motivation.
edit: That must have sucked to break your freaking femur. I'd be scared as hell that I'd bleed to death. Glad you seem to be relatively well.
Coincidentally, I broke it playing good old football. I'm a big fan of group training, or at the least pairing up for lifting. Way more motivated with somebody with me.

A lot of the drive that I had stemmed from treating it like a game, where you can level up on your lifts. Sounds childish, but whatever it made looking at the numbers and the small progressions more entertaining. So starting from scratch, or rather losing all the gains I'd made is probably the biggest factor when it comes to me hating the gym right now.

Basically I'm just being a puss and need to man up, and I will as soon as I'm able.

And yeah, I was lucky that I didn't have any complications bloodloss/artery-wise as the femur broke relatively high up. I expected morphine to be stronger.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I prefer lifting alone. Most people talk too much to keep it going.
Same. That's my biggest criticism with people at the gym. Breaks are way too long. I make sure my buddy es don't mess around though. Had one who threw up after my warmup a couple of months ago lol.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't mind if there's a few people around. I hate a packed gym for sure. Lifting alone is ok but sometimes I get scared. When someone is around it gives me the assurance that in case I do something to hurt myself there's someone there to save me.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I go harder at the gym when I have a lifting partner.
I'll go for that extra rep, do forced reps, negatives...
When alone, like I lift now, once I struggle to finish a rep...
I pretty much re-rack the weight after that one since I probably won't get the next one
I get a much better workout when I have a lifting buddy.

Also, I'm the opposite when it comes to rest. I don't take enough of a break when alone.
I just keep jumping into the next set. With a partner, I have to at least wait my turn.

Usually my lifting buddies and I both wear headphones so we rarely speak to each other. Just there to spot and help bust out those last couple of reps.

Nalej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I like lifting with someone if they are competent. It forces me to take proper rest, they can let me know if my form is getting wonky and will also actually listen to my directions when I need a spot for a heavy bench.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When it comes to lifting and fitness in general I am very externally motivated. I'm a lot more consistent and push myself more if I am working with people I like. I have weights at home that I use for auxiliary work but I don't keep up with it if it's just by myself. I wish I could be one of those loner types that loves working out in a dark basement by myself but I'm just not.

Did a barbell complex today, or tried anyway.

5 sets of
12 Deadlift
9 hang clean
6 push jerk
at 155 lbs.

Goal was 13 minutes. I got through one round and took off the 10s because **** push jerking 155 over and over. I got through 3 rounds, not happy with it but I want to try it again in a few months to see how much I've improved.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I like lifting with someone if they are competent. It forces me to take proper rest, they can let me know if my form is getting wonky and will also actually listen to my directions when I need a spot for a heavy bench.
Well, of course. I've had some pretty good ones and even when I start going with someone who doesn't a novice, I teach them the proper ways of the art of spotting and gym etiquettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
When it comes to lifting and fitness in general I am very externally motivated. I'm a lot more consistent and push myself more if I am working with people I like. I have weights at home that I use for auxiliary work but I don't keep up with it if it's just by myself. I wish I could be one of those loner types that loves working out in a dark basement by myself but I'm just not.

Did a barbell complex today, or tried anyway.

5 sets of
12 Deadlift
9 hang clean
6 push jerk
at 155 lbs.

Goal was 13 minutes. I got through one round and took off the 10s because **** push jerking 155 over and over. I got through 3 rounds, not happy with it but I want to try it again in a few months to see how much I've improved.
Complexes are no joke. Have no shame at reducing the weight... it adds up quick with all those reps and movements.

Nalej is online now   Reply With Quote