Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Abbrederis did bench only 4 times? Damn it!
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As this site gets busier, Yoto you're really going to have to change that sig or my comp is going to die lol.

Mike Evans dreams, for anyone that wanted him, should be gone by now. He's going top 12 at worst, possibly to Buffalo. He's a monster. Honestly, he was the most dominant receiver this year, despite people thinking it's Watkins. But they'll both be good.

My boy Beckham did his thing, but sadly, I fear he won't be at our pick anymore. If he isn't, I would take a long look at Donte Moncrief. Very impressive explosion numbers from him, and on tape, he did run away from defenders so the numbers probably hold true. He plays with a sort of attitude I love. Seems like he wants to embarrass guys. He's kind of like a faster Dwayne Bowe. Not really refined at the position, but he knows how to make plays and he's a pretty good hands catcher.

Tons of talent showing out at WR. To me though, there's at most 5 guys that should be drafted in the 1st, and I just hope we don't take a guy like Benjamin, Lee, or Matthews. Also, with Landry's horrible combine, I can see us getting a steal in the 3rd.

Heard rumors of us having interest in Ben Tate and Andre Brown. Judging by that, we may be looking at well-rounded backs? If we don't get one in FA, guys in the draft I would like would be Sankey, Mason, or Seastrunk. If it's a gamebreaker, I would highly consider Dri Archer. Scary speed and agility.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 02-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TTGS, your wish is my command.

Michael Campanaro is my winner for WR.

Beckham's numbers and Derza's scouting report would make him a 1st rounder. 18th may be an ideal for him as he could be 3rd WR off the board after Evans and Watkins.

That could mean Matthews could be ours in the first round if Beckham was taken earlier.

RB... Carey ran 4.7? My gosh!

Jerick Mckinnon is the winner for RB. Holy Cow!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the well-rounded RB thing is a smokescreen. We've got a pretty well-rounded guy in Powell and a hammer with Ivory. What the backfield needs is some explosiveness and pass catching. Dri Archer would be awesome. De'Anthony Thomas fits the same mold. I could see Charles Sims or Bishop Sankey, but I think they fit more of an every-down role I don't think the team needs. Someone who they can manufacture 10 maybe 15 touches a game for, return some punts/kickoffs, catch the ball out of the backfield would be ideal.

The WR position is going to be interesting. The more I think about it, as deep as this draft is I'd like them to draft two - get some size and some explosiveness. Like TTGS said, Evans is pretty much officially going to be out of reach now in addition to Watkins. Would have been an interesting fit as a guy who could potentially be a centerpiece on offense defenses needed to account for. Without that I think they're going to have to bring in multiple good but not great guys.

Anyway, I still like Beckham a lot. Doesn't have top 5-10 WR upside, but seems like he could have a really solid career. Not surprised he blew up the combine. He and Cooks are likely the options there - Cook is very vaguely reminiscent of Tavon Austin who there was a lot of smoke they liked last year. He definitely has some explosiveness the Jets could use and played in a pro-style offense with West Coast elements. Last smallish WR the Jets took in the first (really last WR period) has had a decent career. If they go WR a trade down from 18 would be nice since I think there's a pretty substantial drop off from Watkins and Evans.

There's a bunch of guys who might end up really late in the first or somewhere on the second day or even early day 3 that I think would be interesting options. Jordan Matthews between his production, work habits, and better than expected measurables seems like he'll at the very least be a capable WR in the NFL and a reliable target. Maybe not flashy, but a pretty safe pick and definite upgrade for the Jets.

Moncrief who TTGS mentions I like a lot too. Great talent and I like hte way he plays. When I watched him for a bit I saw a bit of a tendency to body catch which was worrisome. Same with Paul Richardson who is definitely explosive though slight and has the body catching/drops issue. Somewhat similar to a DeSean Jackson from a skill-set perspective who obviously played in a Marty Mornhinweg offense in Philly, so that skill set can be used in the offense. Marqise Lee running so poorly was interesting, but I didn't think he was as explosive as most did when I watched him. He's an interesting case after that huge sophomore season but big drop-off. I'd be disappointed with him at 18 but do think he'd be an interesting fit since he's pretty good after the catch, so if he falls to the second I wouldn't necessarily mind him there.

Couple of Big Ten guys who could be interesting day 2 or maybe early day 3 are Allen Robinson and Jared Abbrederis. I particularly like Robinson despite his less than stellar 40. He's great after the catch in the screen game and has a big body that can go up and get the ball. Both abilities that I think suit Geno Smith's skill-set since it seems he's their guy for now and Mornhinweg's offense in general. Really reminds me visually of Keenan Allen with that long, lean frame that can get the ball downfield but has a lot more wiggle than you'd expect for a big guy. Think he could be a steal if he slips because of that 40. Abbrederis has a rep for running crisp routes, returns punts, looks plenty fast enough and backed that up running today. Think in the 3rd-5th range they could do a lot worse, think he should be a reliable wideout. Issue is the small frame and a tendency to get dinged up because of it.

The one big thing about WR's is they'll need to take guys capable of playing outside. I know Kerley has played outside some too but he's essentially the Jets' only capable receiver right now and is a slot guy. I'm also not sold on a guy like Kelvin Benjamin being a fit - raw and with his size/frame I don't think he's a great fit to run precise routes that are necessary.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I still want FS in the first round. There always is a dozen of WR prospects for us to drool over but only few of them pan out well. It is tough.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Derza, is it possible to edit this thread topic? If so, can you change 2013 to 2014. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I still want FS in the first round. There always is a dozen of WR prospects for us to drool over but only few of them pan out well. It is tough.

I don't remember very many drafts that had this many quality receiving options. I look at who's available, and I think 10 of these guys could be first rounders, but only five or six actually will be.

I'd still like the Jets to take Ebron if he's there in the first round and then draft two receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR looks like a priority for the Jets but at some point there is going to be a huge run on WR's, they are just that good, only the OL can match the WR's for talent and depth.
Nice part is that Mayock said that there are 20 prospects this year who would have challenged last year's draftees for the top 10 spots, so the Jets will be getting a very, very solid pick.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Derza, is it possible to edit this thread topic? If so, can you change 2013 to 2014. Thanks.
I'm not a mod so I don't think I can edit the topic. You can always start a new 2014 thread though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I don't remember very many drafts that had this many quality receiving options. I look at who's available, and I think 10 of these guys could be first rounders, but only five or six actually will be.

I'd still like the Jets to take Ebron if he's there in the first round and then draft two receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Receiving options in this draft are pretty crazy, there's just so much depth. I'm kind of with you in that I'd like them to draft two WR's and a TE, but my preference would be a TE on day 2. I like Ebron, I want to love him, but the drops bother me and the success rate of first round TE's is awfully low. I think for how much they're used in the offense the Jets would get more bang for their buck with a Niklas/ASJ, and there's still a little upside there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
WR looks like a priority for the Jets but at some point there is going to be a huge run on WR's, they are just that good, only the OL can match the WR's for talent and depth.
Nice part is that Mayock said that there are 20 prospects this year who would have challenged last year's draftees for the top 10 spots, so the Jets will be getting a very, very solid pick.
I'm curious if the depth of the WR position causes some of the guys to drop because teams are willing to wait since they know they can grab some later. That's really the only chance the Jets have to get a top prospect at the position. I'd imagine it just ends up being Watkins and Evans going high and a gap there, but it'd sure be awesome if somehow that results in one of them slipping a bit.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

stupid internet speed.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

FS in 1st round is a better plan because there are not many true FS options in both FA and draft.

I meet you halfway. FS in 1st, TE in 2nd and 2 WRs in 3rd.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'm not a mod so I don't think I can edit the topic. You can always start a new 2014 thread though.

I thought you could do it since it was started by you. I will try mine to find out.

Edit: Nope. Only post topic not thread topic. oh well.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 02-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
FS in 1st round is a better plan because there are not many true FS options in both FA and draft.

I meet you halfway. FS in 1st, TE in 2nd and 2 WRs in 3rd.

If the Jets don't take an offensive skill position player in the first, that they would probably take a WR in the 2nd and TE & possibly a second WR in the third.

I'm figuring there are going to be a dozen WR's off the board when the second round ends or close to it.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I thought you could do it since it was started by you. I will try mine to find out.
You got me, I figured it out.

I don't think the Jets value safety enough to draft one in the first. What would be nice is if both went before 18 so a high end player drops a bit. I could see an OLB if somebody drops.

Hopefully there's some guys at positions that aren't huge needs/great fits that go above the Jets. I think it's pretty much a lock that Bortles/Bridgewater/Manziel go earlier at QB, Robinson/Matthews at T, Watkins at WR, and Clowney/Mack as pass rushers go before the Jets pick. Wouldn't say lock but pretty likely that Lewan, Evans, Barr, and Ebron are gone before the Jets pick as well.

It'll be really helpful if guys like Carr, some of the DT's (Nix/Jernigan/Donald - far from a need) or DB's (Dennard, Gilbert, Clinton-Dix - I question fit for the DB's and value to the scheme for the safeties) go before the Jets pick to maybe push some of those higher tier guys down. Or a Mosley who isn't really a need as an ILB or Ealy who may not be a great fit but likely drops anyway based on how he ran today. I still have a sneaking suspicion Barr slips.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
It'll be really helpful if guys like Carr, some of the DT's (Nix/Jernigan/Donald - far from a need) or DB's (Dennard, Gilbert, Clinton-Dix - I question fit for the DB's and value to the scheme for the safeties) go before the Jets pick to maybe push some of those higher tier guys down. Or a Mosley who isn't really a need as an ILB or Ealy who may not be a great fit but likely drops anyway based on how he ran today. I still have a sneaking suspicion Barr slips.

I think a DB or Mosley is definitely a possibility for the Jets at #18. Since Sanchez was drafted, the Jets have selected nothing but defensive linemen and cornerbacks in the first round. With Kyle Wilson entering a contract season and Antonio Cromartie's career sadly beginning to wind down, I still think it's very possible for the Jets draft a cornerback in the first round...... again, even if they keep Cromartie this year.

If the Jets looked at Dee Milliner as the next Darrelle Revis, is it really a stretch for them to look at Justin Gilbert as the next Antonio Cromartie? Looking at Gilbert's nfl.com overview: Freakish speed for his size, good man cover corner, natural interceptor, sucks in run support, somewhat immature. Boy that sounds really familiar.

As far as middle linebacker, David Harris is likewise entering a contract season and has definitely lost a step (Watching him, can you believe he ran a sub 4.6 40 at the combine?).

As much as I want the Jets to focus the majority (or... entirety) of the draft on offense, I can certainly see the Jets going the other way in the first round.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well part of me saying that is the fact that I'm tired of defensive players that aren't pass rushers so I'd like them off the board so they aren't options.

Gilbert does sound a lot like Cro. There are two things that make me slightly hopeful they don't take him or Dennard. One is that I would imagine they don't want to rely on two young, inexperienced corners in addition to mediocre safeties. Seems like a great way to get toasted in the secondary a bunch. Gilbert in particular is supposedly a little raw which plays into that a bit. So my guess would be that they want a vet to start across from Milliner - that's where I'd be at least. The other is that Idzik came from Seattle where they look for big, long corners but they were able to find them without burning premium selections. I think Ryan with the press coverage they run also values the size and length and with all the man they run I think Dennard isn't an option if he runs poorly.

Mosley I could see for the reasons you mentioned, but there we're talking about a position that isn't really all that valuable in the scheme. Right now with the 3-4 I think if you come out of base the first two guys you want to take off the field are the nose and one of the ILB's. Davis is supposed to be a coverage ILB so he's staying on the field, I don't think that other ILB position going forward is that important. Pop a guy in the mid-rounds, let him sit behind Harris for a year and start in base packages starting in 2015 and pull him off the field in dime - maybe even nickel. You obviously want Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, and Barnes on the field. Pace/new OLB and Davis make sense to me as the other two. I guess if he doesn't like Davis then Mosley makes sense, but I just don't buy it with all of the other need. There's only so much you can shuffle things around with all the front 7 talent they already have - the real need is at OLB.

As much as they've done stuff we haven't liked over the years, Idzik's decisions have been more or less logical. Based on who's on the team and the skill sets of the guys available at those positions I'm hoping that they're not the selections he'd make. Regardless I'd like them off the board. Both so they push guys down the board and so they're not options.