Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
If Finley is back, Jones is gone, and possibly vice-versa.

I also am starting to think the draft will be all about LBs and building depth there. I, again, feel that Borland is the ultimate player at ILB in this year's draft, and I hope we take him. If by chance we don't re-sign Neal, then I could see using a 2nd-3rd rounder on an OLB.
AMEN on Borland, as you know I have been preaching him for months.
I am not ready to give up on Jones or J-Mike though.
You'd have to think J-Mike won't get nearly as much $ because of the neck.
Not sure any teams would throw a big long term deal his way coming off this.

And Jones at 30, should not command a huge offer anywhere else.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TIGHT END help?
Whatever happened to....

CHASE COFFMAN
6-6, 250

Sometimes, a guy lingers and doesn't do anything for awhile despite having tons of talent. Whether being behind someone better or in the wrong system, a late bloomer, whatever. We've seen it before.

Here's a guy who if he was coming out right now, would probably be a 2nd round pick.
You know I wanted Jerry Hughes after 2 disappointing seasons in Indy. Buffalo took him and he's paid dividends.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=TE
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...ffman?id=71255
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...09ccoffman.php

UPDATE: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...a_falcons_blog
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to JS, Packers probably won't be signing James Jones: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...246732241.html

Makes sense with Boykins emergence last season, however, Jones was a tough guy that always seemed to make an amazing catch. Also, he is a big player in the community, so that will be a loss as well.

Like I said earlier, I think that we bring J-Mike back with an incentive based contract, possibly in the 2 year range. Thus, this gives JMike that chance at a fat payout when he is 28.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
According to JS, Packers probably won't be signing James Jones: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...246732241.html

Makes sense with Boykins emergence last season, however, Jones was a tough guy that always seemed to make an amazing catch. Also, he is a big player in the community, so that will be a loss as well.
My rankings of our most important free agents to keep have Shields #1 and Jones #2.

I love Boykin too, but I believe Jones market value will be affordable and he should be kept. We'll see.

I'll be very sad to lose Jones to a bargain deal.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
My rankings of our most important free agents to keep have Shields #1 and Jones #2.

I love Boykin too, but I believe Jones market value will be affordable and he should be kept. We'll see.

I'll be very sad to lose Jones to a bargain deal.
Agreed, stupid that we gave the other Jones a nice new contract, when James Jones was much more deserving....

Maybe Greg Jennings can lure James Jones to Minny. That would be a pretty solid WR core to have Bortles/Carr throwing to.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Supposedly the Seahawks will be parting with Red Bryant due to his high cap number. Pretty much the prototypical 3-4 DL. If I recall correctly the Packers sniffed around him in 2012 before he re-signed with Seattle.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hear Shazier had a 42 inch vertical and 10'10" broad jump. At 237.

Okay, I still think the dude struggles getting off blocks but I also thought he played at 220. If he can maintain his elite explosiveness at 240ish.. very impressive.

Then again, Nick Perry looked mighty impressive through some of the combine drills and that didn't really change who he was. Shazier takes a lot of bad angles, misses a lot of tackles and gets washed out on blocks a lot.

He might be a guy that tests much better than he plays.

Borland had a nice ten yard split and I'm eager to see how he does in the other drills, as agility should be a stronger point than pure speed for him.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 02-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Supposedly the Seahawks will be parting with Red Bryant due to his high cap number. Pretty much the prototypical 3-4 DL. If I recall correctly the Packers sniffed around him in 2012 before he re-signed with Seattle.
If we are looking to get a more athletic front, Bryant doesn't fit the criteria.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are your thoughts on Ben M as our OC? Do you think he would make a good OC? From what I read he seems promising. However, what can you guys tell me about his impact as a GB position coach?

I am interested to see if he brings some of your passing concepts to our offense. I always loved the full house formation you guys use. I want to see that in short yardage situations.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
What are your thoughts on Ben M as our OC? Do you think he would make a good OC? From what I read he seems promising. However, what can you guys tell me about his impact as a GB position coach?

I am interested to see if he brings some of your passing concepts to our offense. I always loved the full house formation you guys use. I want to see that in short yardage situations.
I know Coach McCarthy speaks very highly of him and Ben is a student of the game each and every day. I think working under Tom will only help him progress as a coach, and he can starting building his own identity as an offensive coach.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Sam Shields is going to test the free agent market. If he signs elsewhere, it will have been a colossal mistake by Ted Thompson. Shields was our best defensive player in 2013 and his absence would only create more issues for a secondary and defense deprived of impact talent.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Sam Shields is going to test the free agent market. If he signs elsewhere, it will have been a colossal mistake by Ted Thompson. Shields was our best defensive player in 2013 and his absence would only create more issues for a secondary and defense deprived of impact talent.
I don't even know how I can support anything TT does if that report is true. Ridiculous.

We need to tag him if he won't sign our deal. Period. The cap is even higher than expected and we have plenty of room.

He's the only free agent we NEED back and even tagging him leaves us with over 20 mil cap space.

Hopefully the report is just a bargaining tool by his agent.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Jairus Byrd is going to hit free agency after failing to reach a deal with Buffalo (assuming they don't tag him and indications are that they won't).

Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Jairus Byrd is going to hit free agency after failing to reach a deal with Buffalo (assuming they don't tag him and indications are that they won't).
I'd feel way better about losing Shields if we picked up Byrd instead.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pick up Byrd and then sign Verner to replace Shields

SIGN ALL OF THE FA
Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

I'm literally inconsolable about probably losing Shields. He is one of the few defensive cornerstones we have and we have plenty of money to spend. We're going to see him sign elsewhere for like 6 mil a year and it's mind boggling.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rapoport just tweeted that the Pack are trying to sign him for a deal similar to what Tim Jennings got. Little bit less than $6 mill a year.

I really hope both sides can just come to a middle ground. Pay him a bit over $6 mill. He really is the only FA they need back
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I'm literally inconsolable about probably losing Shields. He is one of the few defensive cornerstones we have and we have plenty of money to spend. We're going to see him sign elsewhere for like 6 mil a year and it's mind boggling.
Inconsolable is a good word. That's the word I've been searching for to describe how I feel.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Dolphins gave Pro-Bowl CB Brent Grimes a four-year, $32 million deal that includes $16 million guaranteed, per ESPN source.

So long, Shields. Grimes is better but he's also 4 years older. If Pack aren't offering Shields more than $6 million then they have zero chance at bringing him back. He'll get $7 mill from some team for sure
Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
So long, Shields. Grimes is better but he's also 4 years older. If Pack aren't offering Shields more than $6 million then they have zero chance at bringing him back. He'll get $7 mill from some team for sure
It'll be interesting to see how much it moves Shields's price tag. Vontae Davis looks like he'll be back with Indianapolis, and that means Shields will be the second or third best corner on the market. I still expect Sam to get similar money to Grimes given the age difference.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Davis is probably the best comp for Shields, so we need to see what he gets. I'm not liking how things are shaping up though. Shields gone is just another hole in a D with many holes.

This D needs a makeover. I'll be upset if they go a 3rd straight year with Hawk/Jones as their ILB. Enough already....they aren't good enough for a dominating 3-4 D...even with an improved DL. They need to get better there, period
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

A makeover? It doesn't matter what we do if we lose Shields. We're just compounding our problems. We have two defensive players to build around, Clay and Shields, and we're about to let one go.

It's ridiculously bad management. Not laying big bucks for other team's castoffs is one thing; not paying your own best,young players is insanity. We have so much cap room. It's ludicrous.

Go eat a decaying rat, TT.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post

This D needs a makeover. I'll be upset if they go a 3rd straight year with Hawk/Jones as their ILB. Enough already....they aren't good enough for a dominating 3-4 D...even with an improved DL. They need to get better there, period
We are losing Shields, Raji, Pickett, and Jolly (possibly). Plus Tramon Williams is entering the final year of his contract and could honestly be a candidate to be cut. This team is the process of making a transition on defense and the only players locked up are Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnett. We are relying on several young, unproven players upfront, pedestrian players at linebacker after Clay and a secondary with young players but nobody you'd label as proven yet (not counting Tramon).

Makeover might not be the right term to describe this situation but I understand what you're getting at. Simply put, we need to add talent to this side of the ball, and not watch our top end players walk in free agency.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

My problem is not understanding the philosophy. When it's draft and bring in your own guys and build a team that way? Okay, got it. But Shields was our guy. He has earned a contract. Is he going to get overpaid? Possibly but that's the market. Lattes cost almost $5 for 12 oz of milk and 2 T Coffee grinds in Seattle. Overpriced? Hell yes. Do I still buy one every day? Yup. Why? Because the price has nothing to do with my want of a latte and I can still afford it.

Sam Shields is a latte. The Packers would apparently rather drink gas station coffee to avoid the price tag they can afford.

This also means zero chance of signing Byrd. Dude is going to get more than Shields and isn't one of our guys.

Is it possible we told him to go get offers and we'd match or best any? Sure. But at that point we've lost all leverage and insulted him.

Ridiculous mismanagement. It's insanity.

As soon as Grimes deal was made public we should have went over,offered him a mil more over the course of the contract and gone "look, he's a pro bowler and most people had him above you on free agency chart. We want you back and we're willing to pay you above market value if you sign with us now. Wait until after free agency and our offer lowers to match the next best."

Maybe we did that, but if we are really drawing a line at 7 mil a year opposed to 8 mil a year that's crazy.

I'd you asked me of Nelson,Cobb and Shields who I'd most like us to resign.. it'd be shields. Nelson and Cobb are better but Shields is more valuable and important. That doesn't even account for the fact that we can sign all 3 of them to 10 mil a year deals today and still sign our rookies and 3 or 4 minor free agents.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 03-03-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shields is a homegrown talent. He'd only spent one year playing defense when we signed him as an undrafted free agent. The team taught him to play CB, developed him into a very good CB, and now it looks like he's going to walk.

I always supported the "Draft and Develop" approach, so this is kind of a hard pill to swallow. It doesn't make sense.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote