Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Screw you Cleveland. You're right, Auron. I would be happy with any of those picks... except for McBride, McDonald, & Kalil.

And there goes McBride.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The site has been going very slow for me I can't seem to post when I want to. Wright, and Josh Wilson are off the board two players we could've used.

We're on the clock. Looks like we traded out of the 58th spot with the Lions. Exchanged for the 66, and 145. Maybe we can still get one of our main targets.

Last edited by Auron : 04-28-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the 66th pick we took Usama Young, CB from Kent State.

don't know much about the guy, we did pass on McCauley for him but I'll trust the front office and scouting department on this one after all they did spend countless hours watching the film, and talking to coaches.

Here's Scott's scouting report on him
Quote:
Strengths: Has good size and a solid frame with long arms...Timed speed is excellent...Very athletic...Hips are fluid...Has terrific feet...Solid tackler...Smart...Tough and a hard worker...Has special teams potential...Pretty productive...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Did not always play against top competition...Instincts are questionable...Still has to get stronger...Is not overly physical...Awareness is coverage is just average...A workout warrior who might not play up to his triangle numbers..Just okay in man.

Notes: First name is pronounced "oo-SOMM-uh"...A four-year starter...He has everything that you look for from a measurables standpoint...An underrated prospect who really put his name on the map at his Pro Day and will go higher than most think.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know what the front office is capable of but I would much rather have drafted McCauley than Young.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree. McCauley should have been the pick.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree. McCauley should have been the pick.

Signature made by me

Old 04-28-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I know what the front office is capable of but I would much rather have drafted McCauley than Young.
True at first glance I'd have to agree with you there. However I'm just going to have to trust them on this call, I don't do nearly as much research, and watch as much film as the scouts do.

A lot of other teams passed on McCauley so I have to question what was wrong there. According to this site Young is a hard worker, very intelligent, and he enjoys watching game film and trying to improve himself. Sounds exactly like the type of player Sean Payton is looking for, and the coaches can mold.

Usama Young - New Era Scouting Report
Quote:
Smart player who makes the calls in the defensive backfield. Spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for a game. Played in 45 games, starting 37.

Worked hard to get better as a player both physically and mentally. In the off-season, he doesn't get lazy and maintains his hard work habit.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

We just took Andy Alleman at #88.

Signature made by me

Old 04-28-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Andy Alleman, OG from Akron with the 88th overall pick.

Good pick I had him going to the Saints in one scenario. Athletic, guy who can get to the outside and 2nd level, perfect fit for the Saints scheme. Provides great depth along the O-line.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm okay with the Young pick, but not all that excited about this Alleman kid. I wanted Quinn Pitcock there.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quite a few nice prospects left for Day 2, we have quite a few picks. I wouldn't rule out the Saints making a move or 2 tomorrow.

Antonio Johnson, Kareem Brown, Walter Thomas, Brandon Siler, Zak DeOssie, Stephen Nicholas, even Ben Patrick hasn't been taken yet.

Last edited by Auron : 04-28-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Here's a overview of the Saints 1st Day.

1.27 - Robert Meachem - WR (Tennessee)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 214 | 40-Time: 4.39

Highlight Video
*some very interesting stats "Meachem was thrown to 8 times in the redzone and caught all 8 of those passes, and has never fumbled in his college career."

Quote:
Has terrific timed speed and quickness with a burst. Excellent size and he knows how to use it. Has a pretty solid build and the frame to bulk up further. Has long arms. Elusive and runs well after the catch. Shows some power and he'll break tackles. Has big hands and will snatch the ball out of the air. A big play threat in the vertical passing game. Coming off his best season and still has some upside.
Auron's Take: After thinking about it for a while I love this pick. Meachem should solidify the #2 WR spot, and be an excellent compliment opposite Colston. He's a humble good character kid, hard worker. Mickey and Sean were surprised when they saw he fell to our pick.

Here's a Madden preview pic of him as a Saint.

(love the fact he's getting open against the Bears :D)

2.66 - Usama Young - CB (Kent St.)
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 196 | 40-Time: 4.39

Quote:
Parts of Usama Young Scouting Report

Smart player who makes the calls in the defensive backfield. Spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for a game. Played in 45 games, starting 37.

Worked hard to get better as a player both physically and mentally. In the off-season, he doesn't get lazy and maintains his hard work habit.

Young is an extremely athletic football player that often showcases his agility and speed. Will benefit from better coaching, which will help him exploit his physical gifts

A good guy who works in the community and was Kent State's nominee for the Draddy Award which combines academic achievement, community work and football skill. Very humble.
Auron's Take: We traded down into the top of the 3rd to land this pick, we passed on McCauley which seemed like a questionable move but we could've struck gold with another small school gem yet again with Young. He is a great character guy, who is a hardworker, he has great potential, and measurables a highly productive 4 year starter. The important part is, he won't be forced to play right away and the coaches can groom him behind McKenzie, and Jason David.

3.88 - Andy Alleman - OG (Akron)
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.07

Quote:
Strengths:
Has a good frame and can still get bigger...Excellent athlete for the position with solid timed speed...Moves well and can adjust in space...Hard worker with a great motor...Plays with a nasty attitude...Light on his feet...Has a good deal of upside.

Weaknesses:
Is raw and he still has much to learn about playing the position from a technique and fundamentals standpoint...Could still stand to add some weight...He needs to get stronger, especially in his lower body...Might not be an ideal fit for everyone.

Notes:
Actually began his career as a defensive end at Pittsburgh before transferring in 2004...The type who would appear to be a perfect fit for teams that run a zone blocking scheme...Not yet a finished product but a prospect on the rise who has intriguing potential and could be one of the initial handful chosen at his position.
Auron's Take: Alleman is a perfect fit for our O-line and the scheme as he's a highly athletic Guard, he moves his feet well, and is quick out of his stance. He's a hard worker, with a high motor. He should provide great depth a long the O-line which was much needed since behind Jahri Evans, and Jamar Nesbit we had very little.

Overall I thought we had a solid first day, no one will view it as amazing but that's ok. We brought in high character, hard working, intelligent football players who the front office believe can help the team. I am looking forward to Day 2. Cheers.

Last edited by Auron : 04-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

One of the more under valued aspect that I enjoy about Meachem is, he has NEVER fumbled in his entire collegiate career.

sorry

Last edited by BiggerFoot : 04-30-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Stoopid512

I am happy with day one. It took a while for me to digest Meachem, but i'm satisfied. i really, REALLY, wanted to see Puz or Houston since they were available. We did manage to get a speedy CB and a solid o-lineman with two 3rd's, so there will not be complaining from my end. I would like to see them address the defensive line and linebacker tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really liked your guys first day. Meachem was a great pick in the first even if TE was a bigger need. Young was sky rocketing up boards and should make an impact. Alleman should be a great OG duo with Evans for a long time.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:11 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i like Brandon Siler, Ben Patrick, Antonio Johnson, Kareem Brown for today.

i am not real happy with our draft so far. we have passed on so guys that could have made a huge difference on defense. i think meachem will probably work out, but i pray he doesnt turn into a stallworth. also, he looked disappointed when we picked him. last year we showed some skill in picking quality WRs in the late rounds. i just think that we had bigger needs. i dont know much about young, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt. Alleman should be solid.
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopid512 View Post
I am happy with day one. It took a while for me to digest Meachem, but i'm satisfied. i really, REALLY, wanted to see Puz or Houston since they were available. We did manage to get a speedy CB and a solid o-lineman with two 3rd's, so there will not be complaining from my end. I would like to see them address the defensive line and linebacker tomorrow.
same way for me...

today...we HAVE to upgrade the LB/DT-DE-/CB up and possibly S.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

With the 27th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft the New Orleans Saints select

Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

http://www.easports.com/maddennfl/draft.jsp

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really hoping we can steal one of the 'big' LBs today... I'm really high on Rufus Alexander, I've seen him play plenty of times and he would help our LB corps. immediately. Also, someone like HB Blades or Brandon Siler (even though I heard he has injury issues). Also, Ben Patrick is still on the board. And, we still need some depth at QB. If we can address these needs, I'll be set.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

We have just traded up. Maybe for Patrick? :D

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

C'mon guys.. he's our first round pick. His name is M-E-A-C-H-E-M. ;)

Here's a quote from Alleman that I just LOVE:

Quote:
Alleman is a 6-4, 302-pound native of football hotbed of Massilon, Ohio. He was thrilled at the news that he would be a Saint and enthusiastically participated in conference call with the New Orleans media after his selection. "I am really, I don't even know the word, but I am just numb. I am coming down there to block for Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush! Whew! I am so fired up."
"I can't wait to get there!" he said.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Well, then. That was an odd selection.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

With the 107th overall we took Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State. Very disappointing if you ask me!

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

what are we doing?
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
LSU Man
Rookie

LSU Man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Antonio Pittman?!?!?! What was the reasoning for this?