Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post

meh. i just don't think ware is a 43 DE. maybe i'm totally off base and he's played with his hand down enough that it won't be a weird transition, but it feels like drafting ayers for a 34 to me.
All depends on if he can stay healthy. He's had shoulder and elbow issues down the stretch the past 2 seasons, but at the start of this season he was healthy and looked like he hadn't lost a step. He's played a lot with his hand in the dirt throughout his career, although he's no spring chicken anymore and it may not be a bad idea to try and limit the amount of running down snaps he sees. The problem in Dallas was we never had any depth behind him, and he never came off the field... usually wore him down by the last month of the season. Keep him on a healthy snap count and he'll deliver for you consistently on passing downs.

Also never had anyone like Von Miller playing on the other side, which would be extremely intriguing to me... Ware stopped seeing 1 on 1s after his 2nd year.

He's not the best pass rusher in football anymore, but I wouldn't bat an eye if he produced a 15 sack season next year. The one thing about Ware is as he's gotten older he's always found new and creative ways to get the the QB, he's not one of those guys who solely relied on his speed off the edge which makes me believe he's got a lot left in the tank.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-12-2014 at 10:03 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
All depends on if he can stay healthy. He's had shoulder and elbow issues down the stretch the past 2 seasons, but at the start of this season he was healthy and looked like he hadn't lost a step. He's played a lot with his hand in the dirt throughout his career, although he's no spring chicken anymore and it may not be a bad idea to try and limit the amount of running down snaps he sees. The problem in Dallas was we never had any depth behind him, and he never came off the field... usually wore him down by the last month of the season. Keep him on a healthy snap count and he'll deliver for you consistently on passing downs.
awesome, thanks man!
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed, as a Giants fan I can attest that he plays with his hands in the dirt a lot. Also he is pretty stout against the run. The injuries are a concern, so weighing his against Allen in a tough decision, but injuries aside, Ware is the better player.

Is Phillips going to stay? How is your WR depth with Decker gone? Also, if you guys walk away with Verret or Fuller would you feel satisfied with your sceondary?

I know you guys were upset about losing DRC, but to me he is a guy that leaned heavily on his speed. He doesn't strike me as a very physical guy, and his technique wasnt all that great. I like the idea of you guys getting tougher and more physical. Its very much what John Fox's looks for in building a team.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownmaker View Post
Agreed, as a Giants fan I can attest that he plays with his hands in the dirt a lot. Also he is pretty stout against the run. The injuries are a concern, so weighing his against Allen in a tough decision, but injuries aside, Ware is the better player.

Is Phillips going to stay? How is your WR depth with Decker gone? Also, if you guys walk away with Verret or Fuller would you feel satisfied with your sceondary?

I know you guys were upset about losing DRC, but to me he is a guy that leaned heavily on his speed. He doesn't strike me as a very physical guy, and his technique wasnt all that great. I like the idea of you guys getting tougher and more physical. Its very much what John Fox's looks for in building a team.
Phillips becomes less important with Ware, however, Ayers would actually be worth having again now to play running downs. If Wolfe is fully healthy though, the d line depth is actually okay.

A starting cb from the draft would be ideal as of right now.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting that apparently we were trying to sign Byrd originally as well (to pair up with Ward before the Talib deal).

10 mil left. Who do you think we sign next?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Interesting that apparently we were trying to sign Byrd originally as well (to pair up with Ward before the Talib deal).

10 mil left. Who do you think we sign next?
Well there was word earlier this morning that they were interested in both Beason and Daryl Smith to fill the middle linebacker void. Beason has since re-signed with the Giants, but Smith is still out there and has the Del Rio connection.

Other than finding a linebacker I think they'll let the rest of the big name free agents get signed then start working the mid-tier guys, and players looking for those one year "prove it" contracts. If Moreno and Ayers don't get any real enticing offers I could see them both back on cheap contracts, maybe roll the dice on a one year deal for someone like Hakeem Nicks to see if he can fill Deckers role. Maybe hope that DRC doesn't get what he's looking for on the open market and is willing to take a cheaper deal, or take a flyer on someone like Antonio Cromartie and hope they he can regain his health this season.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I miss DRC, but I have to give Elway credit. These FA signings were not just about talent acquisition. It was about changing the attitude of our defense. I always thought Ware was one of the more intimidating players on defense, and Taliab and Ward are about as physical as you can get in the secondary.

Only thing that worries me is giving so much guaranteed money to players with injury histories. These moves are all about winning the super bowl THIS season.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

agreed on the 'this season' part. the future isn't really at play here.

also, keep in mind we get like, $3 million more in cap space when we cut dreesen's worthless ass and like $1 million for tamme (not sure if we'd keep him for depth).
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
agreed on the 'this season' part. the future isn't really at play here.

also, keep in mind we get like, $3 million more in cap space when we cut dreesen's worthless ass and like $1 million for tamme (not sure if we'd keep him for depth).
I would keep Tamme. He is good depth, and can actually play in the slot all day when Welker gets a concussion (you know this will happen multiple times in the season).

Not sure how the cap situation will look next off-season, but they will have to be keeping in mind that DT, Von Miller and f*cking Julius need to be paid next year

Surprised the ILB talk is so quiet. Was expecting to see more about guys like Smith we should be kicking the tyres on.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 AM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I would keep Tamme. He is good depth, and can actually play in the slot all day when Welker gets a concussion (you know this will happen multiple times in the season).

Not sure how the cap situation will look next off-season, but they will have to be keeping in mind that DT, Von Miller and f*cking Julius need to be paid next year

Surprised the ILB talk is so quiet. Was expecting to see more about guys like Smith we should be kicking the tyres on.
I was kinda think Smith as well. Spikes may have been intriguing but with the signing of Ward, I don't see that happening.

I still hold out hope for Dan Connor to come to Denver and things just click, and he becomes the Mike, but that's very very unlikely.
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

re: our cap situation:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...of-free-agency
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so, tell me about JD Walton.

plz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

he's been hurt. looked decent before that, i guess?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he's been hurt. looked decent before that, i guess?
Hooray!

I think.

Ugh.

Better than 6 games and $6 mil of Baas, I guess
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

no, i think he'll be competent, but i'd hedge on anything beyond that. i thought he was promising pre-injury, though.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
no, i think he'll be competent, but i'd hedge on anything beyond that. i thought he was promising pre-injury, though.
competent would make him our 2nd best OL last season. Now 3rd with the signing of Schwartz so trust me, I'll take it
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Yeah, Walton would have still been our starting center had he not got hurt. Not a pro-bowler, but will do his job.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Its only talk at this stage, but I sure am loving reading the stuff Ware is saying about working with Von. If Ware still has something left in the tank and he can make Von better and more consistent like he thinks he can, then this could be fun to watch.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Its only talk at this stage, but I sure am loving reading the stuff Ware is saying about working with Von. If Ware still has something left in the tank and he can make Von better and more consistent like he thinks he can, then this could be fun to watch.
all he needs to do is get him to quit taking pills and smoking for a few years.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

The Talib deal doesn't actually look too bad now. It looks like the guaranteed portion is simply against injury and not a signing bonus that will become dead money if we cut him in next 6 years. The money in yr 1 is big (12 mil), but years 2 and 3 are way less before going back up to 11 mil a season in yrs 4-6. It is a lot of money against the cap this year (which we have), but it wont hurt us much the following two years when we are trying to resign some guys. Good chance that it will really only be a 3 yr deal, unless he is playing other-worldly at the end of that.

Apparently we also offered the Talib money to Revis, but he wanted more.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Talib deal doesn't actually look too bad now.
The structure of the Talib deal is excellent for the Broncos - the only fully guaranteed money is his 2014 salary, the other guarantees are solely against injury. So if he plays well, we can hold on to him for the long term... if he doesn't, he's a minimal cap hit as a cut.

The FO deserves credit for how they are putting these contracts together.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks for the article. Very reassuring.

Quote:
Not sure how many instant starters are available in the draft for us, but I wouldn't mind trying to move up to draft CJ Mosely. I think he could make an immediate impact.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy View Post

Not sure how many instant starters are available in the draft for us, but I wouldn't mind trying to move up to draft CJ Mosely. I think he could make an immediate impact.
Prob too big a move. Borland may be a more likely draft option, especially if we move back into early second round. We still need a cb in draft tho, so dont like idea of going into draft without a mlb on the roster.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy View Post
agreed, i thought we were absolutely destroying ourselves for next year (like the 49ers a few years back), but i feel much better about the contracts given out so far.

Quote:
Prob too big a move. Borland may be a more likely draft option, especially if we move back into early second round. We still need a cb in draft tho, so dont like idea of going into draft without a mlb on the roster.
i like christian jones later in the draft, too.

though i'm still not opposed at all to moving up as far as we need to, if we think there's a guy who can contribute next year.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Daryl Smith gone. Running out of mlb options.