Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What happened to Michael Huff?

Where is he now?

They said this guy had it all. Can't miss.
Had the size, the speed, the quickness, the athletic ability, the football-smarts.

Was he on Denver late last year and we didn't even notice him?
Is he a free agent?

Did he have some knee, leg injuries after he was a top-10 pick in that 2006 Draft that had Hawk, Vernon Davis, Huff, and Ngata?

I still have a hard time accepting, if he did not suffer some ACL injury, that he wouldn't be the immediate 2nd best S on the Packers.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had a very underwhelming career in Oakland, where despite at time a stage cover skills he just could not tackle regularly.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He sucked forever, kept getting benched for other bad players, balled out in his contract year, got a big second contract, and went right back to sucking.

No, he didn't have some series of debilitating leg injuries. He's been healthy as an ox from day one. He's just a bad player. I don't know why that'd be difficult for anyone to wrap their head around.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
He sucked forever..... He's just a bad player. I don't know why that'd be difficult for anyone to wrap their head around.
Because I watched him in college, and he was a phenom, and not too small.

Some quotes from back then:

Quote:
NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.34, 225 bench press - 21 reps, vertical jump - 40.5"

Michael Huff has been a playmaker since stepping on to the field as a freshman in 2002 for Texas. He earned freshman All American honors after finishing the season with 70 tackles, 10 for loss, and two interceptions, both of which were returned for touchdowns. As a sophomore, Huff tallied 66 tackles and two interceptions, with both of those being returned for touchdowns. Huff earned All Big 12 and All American honors as a junior, finishing the year with 73 tackles and two picks. Huff had an awesome senior season, racking up 109 tackles, 10 for loss, with two sacks and an interception. He also ran track for Texas in 2004.

Huff is one of the more versatile defensive backs in the draft. He has experience at both safety and corner, and has had success at both. He has a nose for the football at either spot, and breaks well on the ball. Playmaker is the best word to describe Huff. He has all the tools to be a standout defensive back at the next level. He's got good size, he's athletic, and he's fast. His versatility makes him even more intriguing.
Quote:
Insider's take: "He can play safety or corner, and not many guys can play both safety or corner, so I really believe he will be the first defensive back taken." -- Gil Brandt, NFL draft expert and former Dallas Cowboys personnel chief on Michael Huff.

Prospect's view: "You never really know anything for sure until draft day, but I'd like to think I'd go kind of high. Hey, there's more money up there, you know?" -- Michael Huff

Stats and stuff: Winner of the Jim Thorpe Award, which goes to the best defensive back in college football. Returned four interceptions for touchdowns during his career, a school record. He also was the player who recovered the fumbled lateral attempt by USC's Reggie Bush in the national championship game.
Quote:
Oakland Raiders

Safety Michael Huff could give the Silver and Black flashbacks of the intimidating Jack Tatum roaming the middle. Of the five defensive backs the Raiders have chosen in the first round since 2001, Huff's the best.
Quote:
I am now watching Mike Mayock on the NFL Channel. He just called Michael Huff the BEST CORNERBACK in the draft, and he doesn't even play corner! How's that for athleticism?!?!?

He thinks there may be a chance that Huff shadows Bush all night long tomorrow nite. (This was the night before Texas beat Reggie Bush/Leinart/USC Dream Team)

Mayock also used a term I heard him describe Nick Collins last April - he said Huff was a "freakish physical specimen". Well, he was obviously spot-on about Collins in that regard. I can't help but wonder how much more Huff can bring to the defense than.....
Quote:
Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Closing Speed
Coverage Awareness
Instincts

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Size

Smart, instinctive player who reads the quarterback well and has good closing speed. Rose into top part of draft with an excellent 2005 season. A leader on the champion Longhorn defense.
More recent: http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/ba...and-versatile/
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How nice might Jay Cutler have fit the Raiders? They could have had him with that pick. Yeah, Leinart went before Cutler, and the Raiders might have preferred Leinart at that time had they taken a QB. Their leading passers in 2006 were Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks. Huff was a 'safer pick' than taking a risk on a QB though. It'll be interesting to see if the Raiders go the 'safe' route again this year and if they will miss out on another good QB.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Because I watched him in college, and he was a phenom, and not too small.

Some quotes from back then:

More recent: http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/ba...and-versatile/
Oh, I get it. This is the first bust you've ever seen. Welcome to the NFL draft, youngster. The first time I saw a god-like college player suck in the NFL, I was pretty damned confused, too.

Last edited by Monomach : 04-02-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
How nice might Jay Cutler have fit the Raiders? They could have had him with that pick. Yeah, Leinart went before Cutler, and the Raiders might have preferred Leinart at that time had they taken a QB. Their leading passers in 2006 were Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks. Huff was a 'safer pick' than taking a risk on a QB though. It'll be interesting to see if the Raiders go the 'safe' route again this year and if they will miss out on another good QB.
They did take the QB, with all the skills and measurable, at the top of that next draft though.

Jamarcus Russell.

Peterson and Megatron just laughed.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Oh, I get it. This is the first bust you've ever seen. Welcome to the NFL draft, youngster. The first time I saw a god-like college player suck in the NFL, I was pretty damned confused, too.
With Huff, it seems to me (and Warren Sapp agrees, FWIW), that Huff has greatness "physically", but intensity-wise, nope.

Played, conducted himself as spoiled. Entitled.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=6310

Again, even if he is bad, isn't that still a significant upgrade over what the Packers, Cowboys had last year on the back end? Maybe the Bears too.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some guys just have the "ball hawk" ability and are always in the right place a the right time. Huff isn't one of those guys. Also, he can't tackle. He was pretty good at covering TE's though.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

never forget your first 'lock' that busted. Robert Gallery we hardly knew ye...yes I know he forged a mediocre career at guard but go back and read the scouting reports.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
never forget your first 'lock' that busted. Robert Gallery we hardly knew ye...yes I know he forged a mediocre career at guard but go back and read the scouting reports.
That was the first time I realized I really hadn't understand Handegg yet. So glad our GM moved up for eli instead of being happy with Gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
See Tony Mandarich, about 15 years earlier.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The ghosts of Desmond Howard

I was really surprised that the Huff-Stu saftey combo didn't pan out. The moves Al Davis made following the super bowl loss were his last sane moves he made. He picked up a bounty from the Bucs, and drafted what I thought would be the best Saftey duo in the game. Schwigert and Huff were both top shelf play makers. Its not a surprise that Huff can't tackle though, he tackled pretty high in college. You can't get away with that in the Pros.

My draft bust was Desmond Howard. He was such a beast in college. I still to this day can't figure out why he never panned out as a receiver. I thought all you needed to do is get him in space.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He ended up in Baltimore was terrible. Got moved to special teams and showed no effort so we cut him. He ended up at Denver as a back up.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

all we heard was what a genius ozzie was for signing huff and mcclain...whoops lol

He played decent at corner for the raiders, he was always a **** head at safety though...which is ass backwards
Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
all we heard was what a genius ozzie was for signing huff and mcclain...whoops lol

He played decent at corner for the raiders, he was always a **** head at safety though...which is ass backwards

PPL say he is a genius because he built 2 completely different Super Bowl teams in different decades. How many GMs have done that?

And if people are bashing him for his mistakes of bringing in a FA signing for 2 million a year and he sucks and brining in a guy without a cent guranteed then he must be a genius GM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
PPL say he is a genius because he built 2 completely different Super Bowl teams in different decades. How many GMs have done that?

And if people are bashing him for his mistakes of bringing in a FA signing for 2 million a year and he sucks and brining in a guy without a cent guranteed then he must be a genius GM.
take it easy
Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

lol my bad sarcasm is hard on the internet. I saw a steelers fan and immediately thought it was a shot lol
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

It was.
Good stuff.
Love that rivalry.
Hope both teams are back on top next year (AFC), and battling for the conference.