Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I am very excited about Harmon, I think they might have found something with him. Ryan looks like he could be very valuable as well. I was a big fan of the Ryan pick at the time, the Harmon one was a head scratcher to me but it seems like they both could be a big part of our future moving forward.
Really/ Maybe I just never kept an eye open for him but I didn't see him do all that much last year. Are we just projecting what he could be able to do, or was I completely blind to his on the field play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Re the Breer tweets I think the first one makes a lot of sense and is a big reason why the Patriots have been able to be consistent.

Teams who go "all in" end up forcing a window on themselves. By giving each player a price they are rigid with it means they can always give themselves flexibility going forward. I know we gripe and moan about their FA philosophy but in general it works as far as giving the team a chance.

As for the positions tweet I don't buy that. Belichick will take what he feels is the best value, always does. He won't be tied down to a certain position(s) because there is a need. Thankfully at 29 - to about 50 there is good value at those positions, but if a guy falls at another position Belichick will either take him or trade the pick.

I also think it is obvious that Dmac and Solder will be next for deals. They are two young cornerstones who fit the profile both on and off the field. Unless a really good offer comes in for either they will be locked up sooner than later IMO
I'm all for those tweets. Every single one of them. Still think the LB position needs to be taken into consideration draft day as well however. Especially in the mid rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Really/ Maybe I just never kept an eye open for him but I didn't see him do all that much last year. Are we just projecting what he could be able to do, or was I completely blind to his on the field play?
A lot of it is projection, but he just seems to get it. Seems like he is very well rounded as a safety and we are really working on developing him and he is completely bought in from the sounds of it. A lot of it is speculation at this point but I just have a very good feeling about him.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm all for those tweets. Every single one of them. Still think the LB position needs to be taken into consideration draft day as well however. Especially in the mid rounds.
Yeah I'm all for taking the right type of LB, and depending on the player I would even take one in the first depending on what else happens.

We could do with another athletic guy to go along with Mayo and Collins at LB because the benefit of having 3 LBs who can play the pass on the field at all times means you can't be taken advantage of in the run game. If Shazier or mosley are available I wouldn't opposed to taking them in 1 unless there is someone else who could be better value.

Plus, if we get another LB it opens up the 34 looks again. Slide Chandler to 5 technique and go with Collins and Hightower at OLB with Mayo and a draft pick inside.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted in the other topic earlier, but it's not too active on here, so I figured I'd see what everyone thought of the forum mock so far. We traded #29 and #93 to the Giants for #43, #74, and #152, and through three rounds our picks have been as follows:

2.43. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada
2.62. DL Dominique Easley, Florida
3.74. RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio St.

Bitonio's measurables are eerily similar to Mankins, and, like Mankins, he was a three-year starter at left tackle and one of Nevada's team captains. Supposedly he's being considered as a prospect at all five positions because of his mental tools and athleticism, but I also really like how mean and aggressive he is on the field in terms of finishing blocks and playing through the whistle. He could take over at right guard or center as a rookie starter in my opinion.

Easley may be a bit undersized for a defensive tackle, but he is actually fairly thick for an end and plays the run really well because of his explosiveness and ability to shed blocks. He also has the versatility to slide inside to tackle in the sub package and rush the quarterback. I think he's one of the best defensive prospects in the draft aside from health, so he made sense to me there, especially since Armond Armstead didn't end up getting onto the field last year.

I didn't go into the draft expecting to spend a third-round pick on a running back, but ended up pulling the trigger when I saw that Hyde was still available. I really like his ability to block, whether in pass protection or as a lead guy in the run game, which I think would allow him to get onto the field quickly here. He's a powerful, no-nonsense downhill guy who I think could replace LeGarrette Blount, and with Ridley/Vereen set to become free agents, I wanted another guy in the draft.

What does everyone think so far?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I commented in the other thread but it won't hurt in here either.

Like all 3 prospects and really like Easley. I'd like to look at pass catcher or DE early personally but depending on what has happened prior to the Pats picks i can't complain with those players.

I just seen you would use Easley at DE which is something I would really hope against. It's something Florida liked to do with Easley and Floyd the year before, and the Pats have done it before with both Deaderick and Wilfork at times. But this guy is a 3 technique DT on par with Aaron Donald if he was healthy. I wouldn't move him from there

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I commented in the other thread but it won't hurt in here either.

Like all 3 prospects and really like Easley. I'd like to look at pass catcher or DE early personally but depending on what has happened prior to the Pats picks i can't complain with those players.

I just seen you would use Easley at DE which is something I would really hope against. It's something Florida liked to do with Easley and Floyd the year before, and the Pats have done it before with both Deaderick and Wilfork at times. But this guy is a 3 technique DT on par with Aaron Donald if he was healthy. I wouldn't move him from there
I'm not really a fan of most of the top defensive ends in this class, but I'll keep an eye out for someone who I think could replace Jake Bequette later on. I don't really have any plan for when I want to draft certain positions, but I'd say I'm considering every position. We've got two picks in the fourth round, one in the fifth, two in the sixth, and one in the seventh, so I'll be able to draft for quite a few positions.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally prefer XSF to Bitonio based on the skill set we need most in our interior line right now, so I would have held off making the trade down, but I like the other picks. You're certainly hitting the right types of players, which is something I haven't been seeing on most of the main board mock drafts, (some people continually mock us CB's and thumper LB's).
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I personally prefer XSF to Bitonio based on the skill set we need most in our interior line right now, so I would have held off making the trade down, but I like the other picks. You're certainly hitting the right types of players, which is something I haven't been seeing on most of the main board mock drafts, (some people continually mock us CB's and thumper LB's).
I'm pretty sure Matt is not a fan of XSF. I honestly have not seen a ton of XSF but I know that I am intrigued by Bitonio.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Matt is not a fan of XSF. I honestly have not seen a ton of XSF but I know that I am intrigued by Bitonio.
Gotcha, I see XSF as more of an athletic pass blocker/2nd level player who I'm confident could slide in at RG and start immediately as he's fantastic at pulling and slide protecting in that direction. I see Bitonio somewhat as Matt does, but I'm less sure at the immediate projection from a pistol offense LT to a RG in a pass heavy offense.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

With our first fourth-round pick, #130 overall, we drafted Notre Dame WR T.J. Jones. He's got great bloodlines and was a four-year starter and team captain with the team. He catches the ball really well and runs some good routes, with impressive run-after-catch ability and the toughness to work over the middle. In making that pick, I was hoping he could develop into someone similar to Doug Baldwin. We now have seven receivers on the 53-man roster, those being Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater, and Jones. Our next pick is #140 overall.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

With our second fourth-round pick, #140 overall, we selected Boston College linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis. He was a four-year starter with the Eagles, played on the weakside for the first three years and then strongside last year, earning first-team all-conference honors. He's an explosive rusher and can cover well, with outstanding athleticism (4.51 40, 6.92 cone, 4.02 shuttle, 39" vert, 28 reps at the Combine.) On special teams, he does a great job on coverage units.

Our next pick is in the fifth round, #152 overall.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-aldon-smith/

Aldon Smith may be getting cut. I know he has been a ******* idiot, but I would take that gamble on a player like him.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-aldon-smith/

Aldon Smith may be getting cut. I know he has been a ******* idiot, but I would take that gamble on a player like him.
I'd be happy if the team signed him, but I don't think his mentality and Bill Belichick's would mesh very well. His agent is also Tom Condon, who the Patriots pretty much want nothing to do with after the Ben Watson fiasco.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

With our fifth-round pick, #152 overall, we selected Oklahoma fullback Trey Millard. He's still recovering from a torn ACL, but has the type of skillset which I think would fit well in the offense. Like Aaron Hernandez, he can line up in the backfield or in the slot, and is actually an underrated blocker. I think his mentality also seems well-suited to playing on special teams. He's a player who could be stashed on PUP to begin the season, with a possible conversion to "F" tight end in the cards down the line.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'd be happy if the team signed him, but I don't think his mentality and Bill Belichick's would mesh very well. His agent is also Tom Condon, who the Patriots pretty much want nothing to do with after the Ben Watson fiasco.
This is one of those beat writer anecdotes that gets thrown around waaay to often. The Pats currently have 2 Tom Condon clients (Ghost and Cannon), and have very recently signed 2 Condon clients in free agency (Lloyd and Addai). The Pats would be stupid to, and currently do no shut themselves off from 5-10% of the league because of of a decade old difficult negotiation.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I really don't think Aldon is even a slight possibility to the Pats should he be cut for a few reasons.

Firstly he will demand a mega contract which the Pats won't want anything of.

Secondly, his off field stuff is pretty serious. Teams don't get rid of elite level sack artists because they are simply a headache. He seems like he has a sense of entitlement and alcohol problems.

Third, it's really not Belichick's style. The Pats seldom dish out big contracts to FAs and really Revis is different because it's an easy to get out of deal and Belichick is and always has been a coverage guy

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I just feel the mega contract he's going to look for isn't going to be there. His off field problems will pull that price down significantly, and if a team does give him a huge deal I'd be perfectly fine not having him. Just think it would be interesting to look into if he does indeed get cut, considering pass rusher is still a big need for this team.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

He's an idiot, but Aldon Smith is one of my favorite players in the league. Let's just say I wouldn't be complaining if he got released and we picked him up.

Could you imagine our defense........................................
Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy hell . . . I didn't hear this until I just searched it. What a megadouche.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
He's an idiot, but Aldon Smith is one of my favorite players in the league. Let's just say I wouldn't be complaining if he got released and we picked him up.

Could you imagine our defense........................................
This was really the only reason I posted that. I don't expect him to be cut this year like that report suggests, nor do I see us going out and grabbing him next year. But it'd be totally fantastic if we did.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

He is Belichick's wet dream for a rusher. I would think that we were very high on him coming out even though he was projected to go before we were picking, not many people expected him to go as high as he did either. What an amazing draft class that was, espcially for defense. Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Muhammad Wilkerson, Marcel Dareus, Ryan Kerrigan, Nick Fairley, Corey Liuget, Prince Amukamara, Adrian Clayborn, Phil Taylor, Cameron Heyward, Jimmy Smith, Jabaal Sheard.

Oh yeah and Ras-I Dowling...

****!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Thats such a constant theme with our drafts on that side of the ball over the last few years.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Yeah it is frusturating when you look at some of the players we could have had over the last few years. Every team has 20/20 hindsight, but we missed on some guys at positions of need that looked like they would be fits.

That 2011 draft though...wow
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah it is frusturating when you look at some of the players we could have had over the last few years. Every team has 20/20 hindsight, but we missed on some guys at positions of need that looked like they would be fits.

That 2011 draft though...wow
What frustrates me the most is that 2011 draft! Don't get me wrong Solder was a great pick but it was pretty widely rumored that Belichick loved Robert Quinn and expected him to fall to 17 because of his brain issue. That would have been amazing!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

A lot of rumors going around that the Pats are thinking about moving up for a WR in the first with Mike Evans being the guy they covet.

I know Belichick has very little history of moving up in the first and hasn't drafted a WR in the first in his tenure but I think this is something worth thinking about.

I don't think I like the idea of moving up for Evans. I think he would be exactly what we need but this guy is going top 10 IMO. It will cost at least a 2 and possibly a 3 or 4 to get up to get him. However, if he falls to the early/mid teens I would give up a 2 to get him.

But it got me thinking, how would you guys feel about a draft something like this:

1. Odell Beckham Jr
2. Traded to move up for ODB
3. CJ Fiedorowicz
4. Traded to Tennessee for Derrick Morgan