Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a huge fan of Beckham. I wouldn't even be happy if we drafted him at 29, nor do I think the team will draft a receiver in the first round. There's too much invested in Amendola, Edelman, LaFell, and Dobson, and the team has Thompkins and Boyce under control for cheap as well. If Amendola gets hurt again, LaFell flops, and the second-year guys don't show improvement, I could see a premium pick on a receiver, but I think giving up on those guys too easily is a mistake. For me, the biggest needs are probably at flex tight end, center, and guard, where the team doesn't really have any convincing long-term options at all. I'd focus on bringing in potential starters there, and looking for depth in the front seven, and then worry about the receivers later.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do like Beckham and think he'd be a nice fit in the offense. As for the WRs there I know they have guys but realistically, unless they see Dobson as the main guy and LaFell as a threat they need someone outside. Our receivers without Gronk are well below average as a group.

I do agree about TE and the line but it will all be about value.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
A lot of rumors going around that the Pats are thinking about moving up for a WR in the first with Mike Evans being the guy they covet.

I know Belichick has very little history of moving up in the first and hasn't drafted a WR in the first in his tenure but I think this is something worth thinking about.

I don't think I like the idea of moving up for Evans. I think he would be exactly what we need but this guy is going top 10 IMO. It will cost at least a 2 and possibly a 3 or 4 to get up to get him. However, if he falls to the early/mid teens I would give up a 2 to get him.

But it got me thinking, how would you guys feel about a draft something like this:

1. Odell Beckham Jr
2. Traded to move up for ODB
3. CJ Fiedorowicz
4. Traded to Tennessee for Derrick Morgan
I don't see how we can afford to come out of the top 4 rounds without an interior offensive lineman. Currently we have 1 horrible starter, 1 below average starter, and a slightly above average starter who is woefully overpaid. We need to start addressing this now.

If we were to trade up into that range, I would hope it would be for Aaron Donald despite being one of the only kinds of players I could never see BB draft. I personally see Donald as one of the top 3 prospects in this class, and I think he'd be a great addition to the team.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah no way we move up in the draft for a WR. This team has proven time and time again we'll let Brady work with a bunch of second and third string tier wrs than give him a legit 1. Plus he never drafts WRs in the first, so I have a hard time believing that will change here. While I personally don't see the issue of trading those picks to move up (Because frankly Im tired of getting 2nd-3rd round DBs who we cut in two years anyway), it just wont happen. We also need depth at DL and LB to go with OL, so staying put seems preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With our first sixth-round pick, #198 overall, we selected Minnesota defensive back Brock Vereen, the brother of current Patriots running back Shane Vereen. Brock started four games at cornerback as a freshman in 2010, then all twelve the following season. He converted to safety in 2012, starting seven games of the team's final eight games, then split time between safety and cornerback this season, with six starts at safety before converting back to corner and starting seven games. He has also worked as a gunner on special teams, so I like his versatility and intelligence, having been able to process a lot of information. He came in at 5115 and 199 at the Combine, with a 4.47-second 40, 6.90-second cone, and 4.07-second shuttle, with twenty-five reps on the bench and a 34" vertical leap. He'll be competing with guys like Tavon Wilson and Patrick Chung for a roster spot. The move also helps us because Brandon Browner will be suspended to start the season, which will challenge our depth at cornerback a little bit. Alfonzo Dennard got dinged up, so that's an issue I was hoping to sidestep. It's possible Vereen could begin the year as an emergency cornerback and special-teams contributor, then take over as one of the team's backup safeties.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

With our second sixth-round pick, #206 overall, we selected Louisiana St. defensive tackle Anthony Johnson. He was the top defensive tackle recruit in the country out of high school, and worked in a reserve capacity for most of his first two seasons while losing over thirty pounds, starting three games as a sophomore, before taking over a permanent first-team role in 2013. He has long arms and a nice frame at just under 6'3" and 308 pounds. He's a strong tackle who gets off the snap quickly and does a pretty nice job against the run, with a high-motor in pursuit, a solid anchor, and the ability to split some double-team blocks. As a pass rusher, he's a bit raw, mostly in terms of his awareness, hand-use, and limited repertoire of moves. He won't be ready to contribute right away, but possesses the potential to develop into a starting three-technique, so I thought the value was good at this point. We have one more pick left in the draft, #244 overall. Here's what our draft looks like so far:

2.43. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada
2.62. DL Dominique Easley, Florida
3.74. RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio St.
4.130. WR T.J. Jones, Notre Dame
4.140c. LB Kevin Pierre-Louis, Boston College
5.152. FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma
6.198. DB Brock Vereen, Minnesota
6.206. DT Anthony Johnson, Louisiana St.*

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 04-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty tough schedule. This long stretch of games stood out to me.

Go to Kansas City, always a tough place to play, then have a short week to prepare for Bengals.

Right after Cincinnati it's at Buffalo, and then it's three days off before a game against the Jets on Thursday.

Chicago and Denver in back to back weeks is rough.

And then coming out of the bye it's 3 away games in 4 weeks. @Indy, @Green Bay and @San Diego.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Pretty tough schedule. This long stretch of games stood out to me.

Go to Kansas City, always a tough place to play, then have a short week to prepare for Bengals.

Right after Cincinnati it's at Buffalo, and then it's three days off before a game against the Jets on Thursday.

Chicago and Denver in back to back weeks is rough.

And then coming out of the bye it's 3 away games in 4 weeks. @Indy, @Green Bay and @San Diego.
I actually think based on the teams we had to play (who we knew already) it is a pretty favorable schedule.

Realistically this is a chance to get a good start and build up a lead in the division. The Pats should be favorite in every game until they play Denver. Yes there are some tough ones but this is a team with Superbowl aspirations.

If they can be 7-1 or 6-2 by the time they play Denver that is pretty good. Then after Denver we get the bye before looking at the Colts, Lions, Packers and Chargers.

They are 5 tough games but you would hope we could go 3-2 at that stage. That leaves the team hopefully 9-4 with 3 divisional games to go with 2 at home.

I'm actually pretty happy with it because the offense we play first up don't look that strong until week 8 at home to Chicago. This should give the defense time to settle and get Browner back and playing.

Last edited by AntoinCD : 04-24-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KC is a tough place to play but I think we see them regress in Reid's second year. Cincy is hot/cold and could go either way. Bills/Jets are division games but neither team is scary, though the Bills fast paced O will likely look better this year. The other six games are definitely big game potential.

It's nice to get the bye late, so that's good. It also breaks up that tough stretch, which is another bonus.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 04-24-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: my reasons are my own!
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Count me in as someone who doesn't think KC is going to be a legit threat next year. They played a 32nd ranked SOS last season where the best defense they played was the Giants. They lost multiple offensive lineman, Tyson Jackson, and the <200 lb Charles is coming off multiple 320+ touch seasons. Now they have the AFC East and NFC West on their schedule which were better conferences than the NFC East and AFC South in 2013.

I would be very surprised if they're back in the playoffs next year.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Agreed on KC and also think the Bengals could be in for a tough year next year. I think losing Michael Johnson will be tough to get past and Geno Atkins is coming off a bad injury. Particularly against the Pats, if Revis shuts down AJ Green then I think they will struggle to move the ball

Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

In a pretty unsurprising move the Pats picked up the 5th year option on Solder giving him a salary a shade under $7.5 million for 2015. The Pats are going to have a very interesting cap situation in 2015 as they're already over the projected cap, but the Pats could save $20 million with the release of Mankins, Wilfork, and Browner, and there could be substantial cap savings with a Revis renegotiation.

Either way, using the option was the right move.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Yeah it was a no brainer. They can hopefully get creative with McCourty and Solder to free up some room. It will be interesting next year because I feel there will need to be some big casualties

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

7.5 million is a bit much for Solder, but given our need along the line I understand the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
7.5 million is a bit much for Solder, but given our need along the line I understand the move.
I think $7.5 million is the right amount for Solder. If you look at the AAV on a lot of the LT contracts out there that number falls right in line with the Michael Roos, Will Beatty, Eugene Monroe, Brandon Albert, Jared Veldeer, and Sam Baker's of the world. I'd consider Solder comparable or better than the majority of those guys.

The thing with Solder is that he's dominant 90% of the time and inconsistent the other 10% of the time. Going back and watching NFL rewind Solder always pops on film for me. He's far and away our best offensive lineman. He's the best run blocker, the most mobile blocker in space, and he rarely gets penalized. He gets beaten a decent amount for sacks which lower his reputation, but by in large he's the player that most Pats fans and writers think Mankins is.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I'm not sure there are many linemen in the league who can do what Solder does. As cmarq has stated for 90% of the time he is absolutely dominant. He may well be one of the top run blocking linemen in the league which is ridiculous for a guy who many thought would never have a strong enough base as a prospect. He also gets left to single block elite pass rushers, which in fairness is what the best guys are asked to do, but generally the better pass blockers aren't as strong run blocking.

The issue he has is he has some lapses in concentration and ends up lunging. I think there is also an issue where Brady holds the ball too long as well.

Overall I would place him in the top 5-7 LTs in the NFL and for that $7.5m is absolutely fine and probably a starting point for negotiations when his contract is up

Old 04-28-2014, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really have no idea where we are gonna go with this draft. We need a TE and some OL help, but I don't know who will warrant a first round selection for us at those spots considering who will probably be available. Trading down has to be in play, I would love to trade up but I can't see it happening.

Matthew Jones has me on the Bitonio wagon but I would think he is more of a second rounder, obviously this team will take someone whenever they want to but I don't know if he is a first round pick.

I have really been high on Hageman this whole time. Obviously very talented and would bring nastiness up front, but the character concerns seem to be real and he is a little bit older than you would like.

I just have a hard time projecting what we will do at the end of the first if we stay there. I can't see us taking a receiver there even though I like a lot of these guys. Personally I don't see any of the tight ends being worth it outside of maybe Ebron but he will be gone. I like both Amaro and Nicklas, but again I don't see them as first round type of tight end prospects. I am still very high on ASF and believe he will be a steal in the second. Has so many tools to work with, he is my guy in this TE class.

I can't see us taking a DB, especially not a corner. It could happen but we have much bigger immediate needs outside of the secondary for the first time in a while.

I like some of the OL, already mentioned Bitonio but there are a few of other potential fits. Zach Martin is an obvious one but he will probably be gone as will the top 3 tackles. Most of the guards outside of XSF are lumbering road grader types and we aren't going to draft a player like that very high if at all. Anthony Steen is a guy who I have viewed as a fit for us for a while, he is more a mid-late round prospect.

For DL/pass rushers I know I mentioned Hageman but outside of him I like Jernigan and Easley a lot. Clowney, Mack, Barr, and Donald will be long gone at the end of the first. I like Nix, he is not just a space eater and he has a lot of talent but I can't see us being too high on him. I think he will be available when we pick though. Some things concern me about Hageman but he is a talented dude, would be a nice addition. Jernigan and Easley are my guys when you factor everything in.

I am very meh on Ealy, that seems to be a common sentiment. He has some tools but I've never really seen what the fuss is about. I was sky high on Tuitt before this season but he never improved, he has talent that can't be taught but he took a step back in 2013. He is another guy to keep an eye on in the end of the first or in the second, but I could see someone taking a chance on him earlier than that. Dee Ford is one of my favorite prospects in this class and should be getting more love. He looks to have cemented himself in that end of the first/early second round range, but I think he should be pushing Barr to be the third rusher after Clowney and Mack. He is better than people are giving him credit for. Kareem Martin has impressive tools and put up good numbers, I think he will be a solid second round pick. Will be a good safe player but I don't see him ever being an impact guy. Van Noy is a guy I have liked for a long time after I watched him dominate Ole Miss a few years ago, his name doesn't come up much but I could see him sneaking into the first round. He is a guy I would like us to take a look at.

We do need another linebacker at some point. We could go in many differenct directions but if we take a true linebacker I see it being a coverage type guy. I like KPL from BC personally and Telvin Smith is interesting as well.

If we do look at a receiver, there are a lot of potential fits. Most of you know I love Donte Moncrief, but we won't look at him in the first (I think). The guy who I like for us is Brandin Cooks. The only thing he is lacking is size but other than that he is the total package. Jordan Matthews is another guy who would make sense in the second or third if he lasts that long. Bruce Ellington is an explosive player but I don't know if he is the outside guy we need.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with everything you said

-Bitonio can play all 5 positions
-Hageman just has that Haynesworth vibe
-Love Ford
-Like Ealy better than most, plays the 3-tech on passing downs, great 3-cone and shows, just raw.
-Wouldn't shock me if Cooks is our selection
-Have a huge talent crush of Attaochu and DeMarcus Lawrence, guys can get at the QB
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are all the names of prospects who had a visit or we worked out

Quote:
Offense:
Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (Visit)
Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (Visit)
Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State (Private workout)
Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (Visit)
A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama (Visit)
Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU (Visit)
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia (Visit ,Private workout)
Tyler Russell, QB Mississippi State (Private workout)
Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina (Private workout)
Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech (Private workout)
Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State (Private workout)
Dri Archer, RB, Kent State (Visit)
J.C. Copeland, RB, LSU (Private workout)
Devonta Freeman, RB, FSU (Visit)
Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State (Visit)
Stephen Houston, RB, Indiana (Private workout)
Ben Malena, RB, Texas A&M (Private workout)
Geraldo Boldewijn, WR, Boise State (Visit)
D.J. Coles, WR, Virginia Tech (Private workout)
Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (Visit, Private workout)
Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (Visit)
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (Private workout)
Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming (Private workout)
Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (Private workout)
Marqise Lee, WR, USC (Visit)
Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama (Visit)
Kevin Smith, WR, Washington (Private workout)
C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (Visit, Private workout)
Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno St (Private workout)
Wesley Johnson, OL, Vanderbilt (Private workout)
Charles Leno, OL, Boise State (Private workout)
Kevin Pamphile, OL, Purdue (Visit)
Matt Paradis, OL, Boise State (Private workout)
Weston Richburg, OL, Colorado State (Private workout)
Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State (Visit)

Defense:
Dominique Easley, DL, Florida (Visit)
Scott Crichton, DL, Oregon State (Private workout)
Dee Ford, DL, Auburn (Visit)
Anthony Larry, DL, Eastern Washington (Private workout)
Jimmy Staten, DL, Middle Tennessee State (Private workout)
Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (Visit)
Colton Underwood, DL, Illinois State (Private workout)
Nikita Whitlock, DL, Wake Forest (Private workout)
Xavius Boyd, LB, Western Kentucky (Private workout)
Demarcus Lawrence, LB, Boise State (Visit cancelled)
Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State (Visit)
Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech (Visit)
Michael Sam, LB, Missouri (N/A)
Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana (Visit)
Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU (Private workout)
Jordan Zumwalt, LB, UCLA (Visit)
Prince Shembo, LB, Notre Dame (Private workout)
Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty (Private workout)
Justin Gilstrap, CB, Middle Tennessee State (Visit)
Al Louis-Jean, CB, Boston College (Private workout)
Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (Private workout)
Sammy Seamster, CB, Middle Tennessee State (Private workout)
Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State (Visit)
Lonnie Ballentine, S, Memphis (Visit)
Alden Darby, S, Arizona State (Private workout)
Dez Southward, S, Wisconsin (Private workout)
Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota (Visit)
Visits are mostly for injured players and private workouts are just that, whats interesting is that they have had 28 of 30 visits and I remember some of players they pick have flown them in within 2 days before the draft

My take

Offense:
-QB's are pretty spread out from 1st round to undrafted FA's
-RB's other than Freeman most are UDFA, big fan of Freeman, reminds me of Ray Rice and best pass blocker in the draft
-Surprised at how many WR's and most are slot WR's slotted in the 1st-4th
-Surprised at the lack of TE's, though CJ had both visit and workout
-Late round Tackle/Guard versatile players minus Richburg.

Defense:
- Other than Easley (Who I would take a chance on) no early round DT's
- Lot of pass rusher which I like all slotted in rounds 1 & 2
- Coverage MLB's (You can include Van Noy in this)
- Late round CB's
- Safeties from round 2 to UDFA, interested in Southward with that size and speed(JUST NOT IN ROUND 2)

fin
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only player that visited last year that they ended up drafting was Boyce. In fact, if this list is accurate, they only drafted two players who they had some sort of pre draft contact with. The other being Dobson who had a private workout.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 04-29-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I think private workouts are used for a few different reasons. One is for injured guys to go and show their progress, and another is to either confirm or dispell some thoughts you have on guys.

For instance, if you bring in a guy like Shazier thinking he is a great athlete who can be a 3 down guy but have a thought he gets caught at times due to poor recognition skills you bring him in and check that out. If he struggles it reinforces your position so you lower him on your board. However, if he shows his recognition skills are good then you re-evaluate the tape and ask why certain things happened. It could be poor coaching he received for example and therefore you may raise his grade a little.

I really think private workouts can put a player further down a team's board as much as they can raise a player. It all depends on what they were asked to do

Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Dustin Keller is visiting per Schefter
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign him. The worst case scenario is he's destroyed from prior injuries and costs little to kick the tires then cut.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Dustin Keller is visiting per Schefter
For the love of god give this man a contract. I can't think of a single move that we could have made this offseason that would make more sense than this.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
For the love of god give this man a contract. I can't think of a single move that we could have made this offseason that would make more sense than this.
I agree completely, we need a tight end who can impact the passing game in the worst kind of way. He won't be Hernandez but he could fill the role of our move tight end. Plus it doesn't look like there are many great options for us in this draft class, we need to sign this guy.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote