Cincinnati Bengals Top Needs For The 2014 Draft
1. CB - Yes, they have 4 guys in Hall, Newman, Jones, and Kirkpatrick but nothing after and even when you break down each guy their are some concerns. Hall is coming off his second major injury, Newman is 35+ years old and will be lucky to have one more productive and healthy season in him, Jones is always one incident away from being out of the league, and Kirkpatrick hasn't proven that he can stay healthy or when healthy play up to being a quality starter. Adding Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard, or Verrett in the first round would really help ease the concerns at the position. Wouldn't be surprised even to see them double dip and take an Aaron Colvin or Dontae Johnson later on in the draft.
2. OT - Whitworth moving to Guard at the end of the year was a great move for the team. He is a solid Tackle but he isn't getting any younger and making the permanent to Guard makes sense for his career. They lost Anthony Collins and need another Tackle that can either be a starter this year or be groomed to step in next season.
3. QB - I want Andy Dalton to be the guy but he hasn't proven anything to this point in his career that shows he can take the next step and be a consistent QB. He has good games and he has really bad games. Competition isn't a bad thing and if you can add a Mettenberger or Murray to compete in the 3rd or 4th round then you do it.
4. DE - They have some players at the position in Dunlap, Gilberry, Hunt, and Geathers. However, Hunt isn't proven and Geathers isn't getting any younger and he is coming off an injury. Even though I have this position ranked at #4 I could see them taking a Defensive End as high as the 2nd round and I could also seem them taking the position as low as the 6th. Would love to land a Kareem Martin type guy that has the size and skills to help fill the void left by Michael Johnson. They need to keep the strength of the team, which is the Defensive Line, a strength.
5. C - Mike Pollak will likely be the starter and he played well as a Guard last year and has experience in College as a Center. He may play great but I wouldn't hesitate to add a guy at this spot and keep Pollak as the first guy off the bench on the interior line. He may have to start at Left Guard if Clint Boling isn't fully recovered from injury anyways. Trevor Robinson had a down year last year and TJ Johnson was a guy on the practice squad. How they feel about those two players will go a long way toward Center being a 2nd or 3rd round selection to possibly not taking one at all. Since I don't know how they feel, I am listed as my 5th need.
6. FB - I think they have to look at adding a Fullback if they want to be a run heavy team. Copeland, Prosch, or Millard would all be welcome additions to the team.
7. RB - A replacement for BJGE would be another welcome addition. I could see them looking at someone like Isaiah Crowell late in the draft.
8. WR/Returner - A speedy return man is another position that could use an upgrade. Brandon Tate is average, and if you can upgrade the return game then do it.
9. TE - A third Tight End to go with Gresham and Eifert is needed.
10. LB - They actually have some depth at this spot, but it is mostly unproven depth. I could see them adding a special teams addition in rounds 6 or 7 that could develop as a LB, someon like Denicos Allen.