Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Bleh. I don't like CJ, and I hope the Jets take a RB in the middle rounds. But for a short, cheap deal I guess you could take a shot and still take a RB in the draft. I hope he's not an issue in the locker room though.
I don't dislike CJ (don't like him either, just lack a real opinion), but I agree with the rest.

There could certainly be some benefit to him splitting carries with Ivory, maybe he's got a little more pop in his legs if he's able to stay fresh and can add a home run element the Jets lack. If not it's likely going to be a cheap deal so it's low risk. Really would be a small signing with some but not a ton of upside and little risk that'll get overpublicized because he's a big name.

And I definitely would like them to draft a RB in the mid rounds, or at least a RB/WR like Archer or Thomas.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doubt CJ2Lame would be able to affect the locker room much. He really lacks the same burst though, and as I said before, would really go against everything they're building and what they seem to be looking for, so I kind of doubt we bring him in, but you never know.

On a related note, I do love us bringing in Dri Archer for a workout. He's incredibly small (in fact, he might be one player I'm actually bigger than), so I kind of wonder if he can hold up, but he really has world class speed and it translates to the field. He only needs like 5-10 touches a game to make an impact. He's very similar to what I saw in McCluster, but he actually has the speed and agility to get to the spots McCluster can't. Wonder how high we would have to draft him though (and in all reality, I would actually favor us drafting a well-rounded back so we wouldn't have to rely on specific players for specific roles).
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Jets arguably sign the top FA QB, RB, and WR this off-season.

With how impatient I felt at the beginning of the FA frenzy, I have to say that the Jets are a better team today than what they ended with last season.

Looking forward to the draft and the direction the team seems headed in.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

..... and now they are bringing in Rice .....

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited by Old School : 04-16-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, we essentially have the rich man's version of the Saints' old 3-headed attack (PT, Ingram, Sproles), so you can't hate that. I guess there isn't a lot of downside, unless CJ2Lame is completely a shell of himself and we have an Ed Reed fiasco on our hands. Powell's probably going to get a lot of opportunity to be on the field in sets that also feature Ivory or CJ. I'll always prefer the draft, but hopefully CJ makes the year with us worthwhile. Still wouldn't be surprised if we draft a guy late to be groomed.

The concerted effort to get faster is very exciting. I would expect that movement to carry into the draft.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope the effort to get faster continues into the draft. The Johnson signing is a solid gamble from a few different angles.

Obviously the cap space makes it not too concerning from a money standpoint, and as a two year deal there's not a whole lot of risk there either. Worst case if it's a complete flop you have a middling player stuck on your roster next year - and that's if the guarantees were significant. If not they can just cut him if it doesn't work out.

There also isn't really a need for the signing to work out. It's pretty easy to make an argument that the Jets' running game should have been improved this year even without Johnson. If Geno wins the starting job he's progressed from last year, the passing game is going to take pressure off the running game. And if Vick wins again you've likely got a better passing game, and the threat of Vick running (superior to the threat of Geno) has helped open running lanes for backs in the past. I'd expect that to continue if he's the quarterback. The one bad scenario (and it is a legitimate concern) is that Johnson is washed up but Rex stubbornly sticks with him. Otherwise I expect the running game to improve, perhaps significantly.

This is the right time in the arc of the franchise to emphasize the running game too. If Geno is starting you've got a young quarterback that you want to take pressure off of. And if Vick is starting you've got an inefficient, turnover prone quarterback on the downside of his career (but still better than the Jets have had in a while) who still has wheels and should open up running lanes for backs.

The concept of bringing in Johnson as a committee back makes a ton of sense on paper too. Here's an explosive, big play guy who has been one of the most durable backs in the league. In Tennessee he had a ton of carries which I'm sure wore him down, and as far as I understand didn't get out in space a whole lot. In theory he stays fresh here, gets out in space in the run game and passing game with an offensive coordinator who has used explosive running backs extremely well, and has a bruiser in the backfield with him to wear down defenses. They can get gameplan specific, but if a fresh Johnson is a more explosive Johnson (which makes sense in theory) then it should work out well.

The other benefit of course is that the Jets have not had an explosive player on offense since...Santana Moss maybe? It's been a while. And they really desperately need one. Hopefully they continue to go in that direction via the draft like TTGS alluded to, on both sides of the ball really. But it's a bigger need on offense.

A few things I think will be interesting leading up to the season with the backs. The two obvious ones are a) do they draft a guy and b) who's the primary back - Johnson or Ivory? As far as the draft, it's going to be tough to carry too many backs. A gadget guy like Archer or Thomas makes the most sense to me on paper, but with a ton of picks maybe they take a regular back. Primary back could go a couple of ways. Maybe it's gameplan specific. Maybe Ivory wears down the defense and they try to get in some big plays with Johnson. Maybe Johnson plays early in the game and Ivory is the hammer against a worn down defense a la Shonn Greene circa 2009. Maybe it's a down and distance/game situation thing. Should be fun to follow. The other thing I'm curious about is what this means for Bilal Powell. Probably the most steady back on the roster, but not really many standout qualities. Generally I think you want your third back playing a good chunk on specials. Does he play that role or is his roster spot maybe in jeopardy? What they do in the draft might be telling there.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

How excited is everyone going to be when they go OL, OL, ILB with their first 3 picks? lol
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Depends who the linemen are haha. Double dipping on the OL would surprise me, but something like OLB, OL, ILB I could see.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

something like 1st OLB Demarcus Lawrence 2nd G Trai Turner, LSU ID actually not be disappointed in two guys im high on prob not likely though
nyjetfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I really hope the effort to get faster continues into the draft. The Johnson signing is a solid gamble from a few different angles.
i dont see how it could be a gamble at all i love the signing lol last year our offense was the slowest in the league also plenty of cap with including the wilkerson raise. now imagine vick nd jonhson same package qb option read (smith will start), complete flip i cant be the only one STOKED for september

who u guys think will start our backfield?
i still say smith nd ivory . u guys might think im crazy haha
nyjetfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well we're either putting up the biggest smokescreen ever or we're definitely going WR or CB in the 1st. Bringing them all in this week.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm getting a Bradley Roby vibe. I'd much rather wait on a corner though.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no chance in the first, why bother when you have guys who have not just been busted for DUI sitting around with 1st round labels as well? I'd rather see the Jets pick up another pass rusher to really feed the beast and make the D a true menace again.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about Jets Contest?

I was thinking about a different format from two years ago. I can't imagine us failing to get one right pick out of 12 Jet picks. lol.

I copy and paste the passage from Derza's post. These 30 non Regional prospects Jets invited for pre-draft vist.

Quote:
Quarterback: Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois), Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech), Tom Savage (Pittsburgh).
Running Back: Dri Archer (Kent State)
Wide receiver: Odell Beckham Jr. (LSU), Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State), John Brown (Pittsburg State), Brandin Cooks (Oregon State), Mike Evans (Texas A&M), Jarvis Landry (LSU), Marqise Lee (USC), Walt Powell (Murray State), Paul Richardson (Colorado).
Tight end: Jace Amaro (Texas Tech), Eric Ebron (North Carolina), C.J. Fiedorowicz (Iowa), Troy Niklas (Notre Dame), Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington).
Linebacker: Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College).
Cornerback: Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State), Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech), Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State), Dexter McDougle (Maryland), Keith McGill (Utah), Bradley Roby (Ohio State), Jason Verrett (TCU).
Outside linebacker/defensive end: Demarcus Lawrence (Boise State).
Safety: Deone Bucannon (Washington State), Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Alabama), Calvin Pryor (Louisville).
1. Pick 10 of them PLUS 10 prospects not included in this list. Total 20 chosen prospects per contestant.

2. First Tie-Breaking is How many trades will be made in the 1st round?

3. 2nd Tie-Breaking is In what division, a team will either draft or sign Keith Wenning?

What do you guys think? There is no harm to just say no.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like the idea Yoto - especially picking some guys from the prospect visits and some not from visits. Sounds like fun. I'll throw an entry together on Wednesday or Thursday before the draft.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

See, the way you say that, it sounds like 12 picks are a lot, but the odds of getting any of them right are actually fairly low, especially since we don't pick high. I'd be surprised if anyone gets a non-first rounder right. I will put in my picks tonight when I get the chance.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now, I have a regret about bringing up a Jet contest because I have absolutely no idea who the F will Jets draft. lol.

Since there are not many participants for the contest we probably post ours in this thread instead of new thread. This 2012 Jets contest is embarrassing.

I think we don't need a tie breaking since there is no award for a victor.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

I'm in !!!

10 from the "Pre-Draft Visit List":

QB - L. Thomas
WR - Beckham, Cooks, Landry
TE - Ebron, Seferian-Jenkins, Niklas
CB - Dennard, Fuller
S - Bucannon

10 not on the list:

QB - Murray
RB - D. Thomas
WR - Huff
TE - Burton
OL - Mewhort, Urschel, Bitonio
OLB - Bradford, Shembo
CB/S - Exum

Calling four 1st round trades

Good luck! Can't wait !!!

Last edited by Old School : 05-06-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

who is TE Boston?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
who is TE Boston?

Beats me, lol. Meant to type Trey Burton from Florida.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

This Jets trading up into the top 10 for Beckham rumor seems somewhat fishy. I wouldn't mind a move up for Watkins or Evans (unrealistic as it is) but going up that high to get a tier 2 wideout wouldn't be super appealing from my perspective.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
This Jets trading up into the top 10 for Beckham rumor seems somewhat fishy. I wouldn't mind a move up for Watkins or Evans (unrealistic as it is) but going up that high to get a tier 2 wideout wouldn't be super appealing from my perspective.

Yeah, I don't buy into that one. As much as I want the Jets to select Beckham, I'd want it to be with pick #18. Too much WR talent and too many needs for the Jets. The Jets would be better off keeping their higher picks. Moving up in the first round for a Watkins or Evans seems great, but then we're left looking at a bunch of 6th round picks to fill holes.

Another hot rumor for the Jets is how interested they are in Lee. This time last year everyone had him in the top 5 of this draft. Lee's stock seems way down. Anyone think he could drop to the Jets in the 2nd?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:10 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

One mentioned that it would be surprising if Beckham fell into Jets' 18th spot.

If it is true then Lee would be a good steal at 18. If he is taken earlier then Latimer would be next BPWR.

I am afraid that WR run would push defensive players or quarterbacks down which would urge Idzik to draft either one.

Maybe it is a good idea for Jets to trade up and get the one Jets have been secretly coveting.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

John Brown, Jarvis Landry, Paul Richardson, ASJ, Dexter McDougle, Deone Bucannon, Brandin Cooks, Marqise Lee, Justin Gilbert, Jimmy Garoppolo

Jimmy Ward, Ryan Shazier, Jeremiah Attaochu, Gabe Jackson, Billy Turner, A.C. Leonard, Robert Herron, Bruce Ellington, Charles Sims, Terrance West

NFC East
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I am afraid that WR run would push defensive players or quarterbacks down which would urge Idzik to draft either one.

Exactly what I was thinking. If the rumors of Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Ebron all sneaking into the top 10, there will have to be a slide of some top defensive players. I don't think all the QB's will fall as far as some think. Wouldn't surprise me if the Jets went defense if this scenario plays out.