Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Webster was lockdown from 08 to 2012. He had a good run. We miss him a lot actually.

I think we're assuming too much about DRC. He could go back to his lock down ways or he could be a dud. We don't know yet. He's been both excellent and trash in his career, I wouldn't annoint him just yet.

And Terrell Thomas from 08-10 was a better CB than Prince is now. It's unfortunate that he tore his ACL but that 2 year window he was absolutely better than Prince. We didn't even know if we wanted to exercise Prince's option this year, but we were ready to throw a bunch of money at TT before he tore his knee up.

I think we're assuming a lot with this current secondary. Afterall, Thurmond played in a loaded defense with no attention his way, plus he only got a 1 year deal so the market for him wasn't huge. Prince isn't all that great. His ceiling is that of a very good #2 but he's not there yet. He's stiff, lacks speed and has short arms. DRC is a toss up.

Rolle is a year older. And who knows what Stevie Brown will be. So how exactly is this our best secondary? It's really not. And if all the balls bounce the wrong way, it could actually wind up being a pretty mediocre one.
Webster was not lockdown for 4 years, no way. In 2012 he allowed the 4th highest ypc. I couldn't find more stats, but I'd say Webster was lockdown from 2008-2010. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...w-york-giants/

T2 had two good years of production, 2009 and 2010. I don't know the percentages, but he wasn't lockdown ever. He allows a lot, but produces very positive plays via interceptions or deflections rather than just taking away the option. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...T/ThomTe99.htm

Aaron Ross was good or very poor, Kevin Dockery was serviceable, anyone else really isn't worth mentioning. Michael Johnson (FS) was also serviceable in 2009 when Kenny went down. So we only had a healthy group in 2010 of the players you listed.

2010 was the year we had Corey, Kenny, Rolle, Deon Grant and T2 albeit Kenny still dealt with lingering injury and Rolle was nowhere near the safety he is now. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/nyg/2010.htm. Point is, they're different and our coordinator's style has changed since 2010 when Perry Fewell inherited them from Sheridan. Coordinating has to be better, if not the talent cannot cope.

And while I agree I think T2's value as a player was clearly higher than Prince's at the moment, its hard to compare them as players with much different styles. In fact, Webster and Prince are more aligned in their game, and Corey certainly had his troubles in zone didn't he? I think we can expect similar play from Prince as we had in Corey, Prince was very good last year.

DRC was used very poorly in Philly, but why did he have much success in Arizona and Denver? That brings me back to the coordinating. Its no different for Seattle, they don't have all elite talents, they use what they have correctly for their strengths (i.e. jamming and bail to zone deep 3).

I think the corners are comparable, with more depth at the position now. I expect Thurmond to be on par with Deon Grant, if not more useful in coverage. Safety is the big question mark. If we still have Hill, theres no question our secondary is better than we've had in the last decade, but even without the progression of Rolle makes a difference. Stevie's gotta be good and thats all there is to it.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We may have one of the worst front 7s in all of football when you actually look at it. That alone will make any secondary look like ass.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This season I won't have time to do breakdowns. However , I want to see and keep track of how many formations we use. I am very excited about this new offense. Preseason will be exciting to see us run the base offense and see the different things we show.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
We may have one of the worst front 7s in all of football when you actually look at it. That alone will make any secondary look like ass.
It's quite possible. Unless JWill magically makes a leap our LB core is complete ass. And if JPP isn't healthy and/or Moore doesn't develop our front 4 is pretty ass too.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we kept Linval and had a dominating DT corps it would have looked a ton better.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No it wouldn't. We are fine at DT when it comes to run stuffing. We need a 3 tech in the worst way to provide some pass rush up the gut, Linval wouldn't do anything to fix that.

Our problem along the DL this year won't be stopping the run, it's the potential that we could have an anemic pass rush if the ball doesn't bounce our way.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No we certainly aren't and you said it yourself Bromley has bust written all over him. We downgraded and one injury there would really decimate us.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Oh I'm not saying Bromley is the answer at all. He sucks and I'm not going to even try to trick myself into believing he'll amount into anything

But Big Hank will replace Joseph, and our vet DTs are good enough as run stuffers that we should have pretty much the same DT duo we had last year.

I love Linval but he got paid way too much. We have to think long term. I'd be more upset if we signed him back for that money considering what he is and how we already have Big Hank who could do the same thing for 5.5 mill less a season.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
No we certainly aren't and you said it yourself Bromley has bust written all over him. We downgraded and one injury there would really decimate us.
I expect Hank to step up big, if he does then we haven't really downgraded. What we really needed was Donald but unfortunately we only had one first round pick and ODB was equal as perfect for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I like Hank a ton but we're still a better team with both of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe we are, but we're not 5+ mil a year better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

We had room for him cap wise. The cap is going up a lot soon plus we have tons of money coming off the books with Rolle and Eli.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well you gotta pick and choose the positions which you hold as premium and the one's you want to subsidize in order to secure them.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Eli's contract is going to be massive. We can't pay Joseph 5+ mill a season. It's just a bad investment.

Love the player, hate the pricetag. Hank is going to make you forget about Joseph very quickly.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Eli's deal will be less than the money he's received last year and this year cap wise.

Again I love Hank but if we had both this DT corps would have helped the DE's a ton more. Try blocking both of those guys with only 2 or 3 and we have an advantage.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah but why pay 5 mill for a guy who's gonna play 2 snaps every 3 downs at best?

You're not having a package of both Hank and Joseph on the field for more than 30% of the time on defense, it just doesn't make sense. Only time you play both of them together is if you're playing 22, aka heavy run formations vs heavy run teams. That's not as prevelant as it used to be, you won't use that package much.

So to invest in a package that's limited doesn't make much sense.

Having both of them on the DL vs passing formations makes no sense, you're going to sub 1 or both of them for gap penetrators. And considering that nickel is your new base defense in the NFL now, and that you have a guy like Hank who can do the same job for like 500k a season instead of 5 mill, to invest that additional 5 mill for around 30% of your defensive snaps vs a formation that is designed to for grind out plays not explosive ones, it just doesn't make financial sense.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Linval can penetrate more than he showed but he was just never asked to. He was actually in very good shape for someone that big. I'm done with this. I promise I won't bring it up until the games actually begin haha.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Haha oh don't worry. You'll hear me endlessly rant about our awful linebackers for the 1000000x when the season starts too.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We all should draft Rueben Randle and Rashad Jennings on our fantasy teams and be great together.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm gonna draft Adrien Robinson for the **** of it too. Why not. Give me all the Giant players late in the draft. If you land one gem it's worth it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

No one is gunna draft Randle, so I'd rather pick him up on waivers. Jennings would be a good mid-late round pick though.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think Randle will go in the middle to late end of the draft. Even with his mediocre performances last year he still scored a bunch of TDs, so he has fantasy value. I think if you want Randle you're going to have to draft him somewhere in the draft.

Robinson is definitely a waiver wire guy, but I'd pick him up at the end of the draft and stash him. The problem with assuming you can grab guys on the waiver wire is the waiver wire order. What if Robinson kills it in week 1? You probably won't be able to get him.

And people generally don't make changes to their roster until after week 2 at earliest anyway. If you believe in a sleeper you gotta take him late and stash him. And if it doesn't work out after 3 or 4 weeks then you dump him and move on.

I'm constantly playing with my bench in fantasy football. I build depth through the waiver wire and really the only way to be successful at it is with trial and error. You can't be afraid to dump a guy to try something new and see if it works out for you.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Are we doing Giants fans fantasy league this year? I think we need to.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm down. Let's do it.

Let's get a list going.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

We'd need 10 at minimum you think or 8?

sig by BoneKrusher