Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Incidentally that was probably the best thing to happen since we not get a more talented arm in the fold. Rettig wouldn't have come with Nelson still on the depth chart I feel.
If you're worried you can't beat a scrub like Philip Nelson out, you lack the testicular fortitude necessary to play QB at the BCS level.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dorial Green-Beckham possibly on the move to Sooner land.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...er-to-oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Dorial Green-Beckham possibly on the move to Sooner land.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...er-to-oklahoma
Since he'll enter the NFL draft I just don't see an FBS team taking him. His best option is to go down to FCS, resemble Randy Moss at Marshall in 1996, and move onto the NFL. Sitting a year only hurts him.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Since he'll enter the NFL draft I just don't see an FBS team taking him. His best option is to go down to FCS, resemble Randy Moss at Marshall in 1996, and move onto the NFL. Sitting a year only hurts him.
I agree with everything you've said. If by any chance he actually ends up in a Sooner uniform with a Trevor Knight return, it could be a pretty exciting offense to see.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it depends. If he sits out a year, is a model citizen for 2 years and becomes a weapon for Oklahoma, he could wind up in consideration for a top 5 pick. If he goes the FCS route, he might not be able to do enough to convince NFL teams he should be a top pick, and get much less value on his rookie deal. I'm not sure which route I would take if I were him, but no matter what, he's completely screwed if he does anything wrong between now and when he declares for the draft. Sitting out the season seems to be the only bad option here.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand why a kid in his situation would want to take a quick route to the NFL and why kids in this position always take the FCS route so that they can play for one year and then leave. His stock is as low as it's going to get, I don't think that by playing one year at an FCS school, where he'll be for 4-5 months, and then bolting to the draft he'll be proving he's changed much to NFL teams. If he stays out of trouble during that period of time then congratulations, you've been on good behavior for almost, not even, a year.

I think if he goes to a school like Oklahoma, or any FBS school, and sits out a year and then plays a year he's much more likely to be drafted with a higher pick. By doing that he's making a bet on himself that he can stay out of trouble for a year and a half and still compete against the best competition. If he goes the FCS route he's pretty much saying, I don't care if I get drafted at all I just want to get to the league because I don't know if I can stay out of trouble for an extended period of time.

Look how it worked out for Isaiah Crowell. He played one year at the FCS level, went undrafted, and got a 10K signing bonus. Da'Rick Rogers also went undrafted after transferring to Tennessee Tech.

If you want to play in the NFL, believe in yourself, and have patience then FBS is the way to go. If you aren't sure of yourself, just want to make a quick 10K, and start your career on a practice squad then go play in the FCS.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Because the goal is the second contract, not the first.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:48 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couldn't he potentially play FCS this year and then transfer to an FBS next year? He'd be entering the draft at the same time and he wouldn't have to sit at all.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Couldn't he potentially play FCS this year and then transfer to an FBS next year? He'd be entering the draft at the same time and he wouldn't have to sit at all.
Only if he graduates, otherwise he'd still have to sit a year. That rule only goes one way, FCS transfers must sit a year if they go up to FBS unless they qualify as a graduate transfer (or I suppose are given a hardship waiver, I cannot recall that every happening though). The typical work around is to go to a Juco for a year and then transfer whatever you want. However since he has exhausted 2 years of eligibility* I do not believe he'd be eligible to play at the Juco level. Another option would be the Arena League where he actually meets the age retirement.

*Cam Newton left for a Juco after 2 years at Florida but took a redshirt so he had only exhausted one year of eligibility.

Last edited by MassNole : 06-20-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

On a side note, I am surprised more top FCS (or lower) players don't take advantage of the graduate transfer rule to go to FBS for a year. The only one I can think of is the Seahawks kicker who went from Division 3 Middlebury College to N.C. State, but that isn't really the type of player I am referring to. I was more thinking the Towson RB.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The second contract is where you get all the money, but the difference between a first round contract and a mid-round contract is rather steep, and I don't know that I'd want to take the risk of flaming out or getting hurt during the rookie deal.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You might not even get a second contract. And I wouldn't be surprised if UDFAs have a harder time getting more lucrative second contracts than players that were drafted.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
On a side note, I am surprised more top FCS (or lower) players don't take advantage of the graduate transfer rule to go to FBS for a year. The only one I can think of is the Seahawks kicker who went from Division 3 Middlebury College to N.C. State, but that isn't really the type of player I am referring to. I was more thinking the Towson RB.
Why piss people off and potentially mess up a good thing. You've got a cozy situation where you're the guy at an FCS school. You have a shot at being a mid round draft pick. Why mess that up and charter unknown waters by going to a school where you may not start, don't know the coaching staff as well as your current one, and don't know the system.

It happens in basketball much more often. Seth Curry, TJ McConnell, etc.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DGB to OU. Probably should have done that out of HS.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
DGB to OU. Probably should have done that out of HS.
I hope Knight returns after the season. This will be a nice tandem. Hopefully better than Manziel/Evans.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
gophervike
Rookie

gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DGB isn't even that good. Still riding his HS hype.

It will be fun watching him in the Big 12. I expect him to have the occasional monstrous game against Kansas and Iowa State that people go crazy for and then disappear against Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, etc...
gophervike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophervike View Post
DGB isn't even that good. Still riding his HS hype.

It will be fun watching him in the Big 12. I expect him to have the occasional monstrous game against Kansas and Iowa State that people go crazy for and then disappear against Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, etc...
Never jumped on the DGB wagon, but I just love the thought of Knight having a big target.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
gophervike
Rookie

gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gophervike is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Never jumped on the DGB wagon, but I just love the thought of Knight having a big target.
He will. Your 2014 recruiting class includes several guys 6'5" and 6'6". Knight will be throwing to them soon enough. Don't have to worry about him leaving early IMO.
gophervike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and the quickest ND transfer of the year award (also known as the vanderdoes) goes to Nile Sykes, tranferring to Indiana within his first week on campus

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
and the quickest ND transfer of the year award (also known as the vanderdoes) goes to Nile Sykes, tranferring to Indiana within his first week on campus
That award could also be called the Tee Shephard.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:51 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
That award could also be called the Tee Shephard.
shephard at least made it to campus (actually stuck around longer than sykes did)

but yeah, its a weirdass trend

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was on campus and saw DGB while he was on his visit, should've come here out of HS rather than after trouble off the field. Excited to watch OU in two years though with Knight, Mixon, Mark Andrews (6'6"), Dallis Todd (6'5") and Michiah Quick. I'll root for them in every game except against us.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
The academics at Notre Dame aren't for everybody, this is inevitable when you recruit elite players. My issue with Brian Kelly is his childish antics with blocking transfers to other schools.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

LSU QB Rob Bolden transfers to Eastern Michigan

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ichigan-eagles

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

TCU DE Devonte Fields to Stephen F. Austin.