Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like our DL.

I am starting to like a standard 4-3 defense now more than 3-4. Things change.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Worthy coming out but purely as an inside rusher in our Nickel 3-4. He was never a 3-4 DE and injuries derailed any chance he had to make an impact. Oh well.

Jeff Janis has to be a lock to be the #5 WR right now. I think that's a done deal. He has elite measurables and continues to make flashy catch after flashy catch. Yes, he needs consistency and time but his upside is significantly higher than any of the other guys fighting for the spot.

I also like how TE is shaping up. RR has looked very surehanded and Bostick has shown some explosiveness, while both have shown solid blocking.

I think Lyerla is finished. PCL and MCL injuries, even non-surgical, will hinder his explosiveness and that's really all he has going for him.

As for 3-4 versus 4-3, meh. We're a nickel/dime centric defense and I expect that to only intensify this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some dime defenses with Peppers-Jones-Daniels-Perry hands down and Matthews as the sole LBer in pure passing downs. Also a lot of "Nickel" formations with Richardson acting as a roving LBer/Safety. I really think we'll transition further into those formations by limiting Jones/Hawk being in on clear passing 3rd downs and choosing unique formations or to use Richardson instead.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post

As for 3-4 versus 4-3, meh. We're a nickel/dime centric defense and I expect that to only intensify this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some dime defenses with Peppers-Jones-Daniels-Perry hands down and Matthews as the sole LBer in pure passing downs. Also a lot of "Nickel" formations with Richardson acting as a roving LBer/Safety. I really think we'll transition further into those formations by limiting Jones/Hawk being in on clear passing 3rd downs and choosing unique formations or to use Richardson instead.
See I like those 4 guys down too, plus Mike Neal and BJ Raji.
I think in a traditional 4-3 defense, with those 6 guys rotating, that's a helluva quartet of DLinemen.
And removing Brad Jones as starter..... well I can dream can't I.

I can't wait for this, September 4th.

22 Days Away

2nd Round Pick Pat Lee

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 08-13-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lyerla's knee injury finally revealed as a torn MCL and PCL

Pack should just stash him on IR
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
2nd Round Pick Pat Lee
That's Super Bowl Champion Pat Lee, sir.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
That's Super Bowl Champion Pat Lee, sir.
That is correct, which is why I chose that photo FROM that Super Bowl.
That I was at personally :o)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

By the way, let me throw this out there, after watching my sig GIF over and over.

I did not want Nick Perry before we drafted him.
Why?
Because I watched the interview with him leading up to that draft where he was asked about the 4-3 vs 3-4, and he said publicly he preferred his hand on the ground in a 4-3.
Usually, these guys are coached by their agents to say "EITHER" so that they're "employable" to all teams, increasing their value and draft position.
Nick did slide down a bit... but Teddy still bit and made him out of his desired position.

But anyway, I do love his power when he's on the field.

But what I do not like, besides the brittle, fragileness, is his lack of any emotion or passion.
Even here with a sack of Wilson, and some pushing and shoving, Perry looked like his mind was on a novel or on vacation.

I want guys like Matthews, Daniels, Jolly, Bradford.
I hate guys who treat it like just a job.
Give us some fuckingfire and emotion out there.

Datone Jones better ignite too this year.

Do our coaches not challenge them enough?
Or is it their personalities?

The Legion of Boom, the Niners, Ravens past defenses, those defenses play with intensity, aggression, intimidation, emotion.

Is it because our head of defense, Dom Capers, is a walking nap himself? Does it filter down from him?

I want our defense to intimidate people.
Give me Charles Martins and Chuck Cecil's instead of Morgan Burnett and Davon Houses.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know it's no mystery that I've never been a big fan of Nick Perry, all the way back to his selection, and when it comes down to it, the team can't trust that he'll be available come game day.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Lyerla's knee injury finally revealed as a torn MCL and PCL

Pack should just stash him on IR
It'll speak a lot to how much he's matured and his attitude towards football if he is placed on IR. The Packers can spend more time with him and develop the person as much as the football player.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I know it's no mystery that I've never been a big fan of Nick Perry, all the way back to his selection, and when it comes down to it, the team can't trust that he'll be available come game day.
Ever since I saw him in person here at TCU in 2009, I wanted Jerry Hughes very very badly. And I am 95% sure we WERE set to draft him in 2010 had that first round gone as projected.

But Bulaga slid way down, and Teddy had to take him because Clifton & Tauscher were so old.

I just don't know why we didn't still obtain him after he was a disappointment (because he was miscast as a hands-down DE) in Indy thru 2 seasons.
We could have had him cheap.

The Bills were smart, and he's been great for them.

Matthews and him would have been fantastic.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Houston was the guy I wanted super badly that we passed on for whatever reason. That would've been a helluva duo.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Justin Houston was the guy I wanted super badly that we passed on for whatever reason. That would've been a helluva duo.
Damn that would have made Matthews almost the 2nd best pass rusher for us.... imagine that against Kaepernick running around the edges.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Really, I'm hoping the coaches pull the trigger on moving Bradford to ILB sooner rather than later. It's going to happen, I would bet money on it; his skillset is much better suited as a 3-4 ILB than a 3-4 OLB. He's much better blitzing off stunts and twists than beating someone one on one on the outside and his hitting, downhill athleticism and tenacity suits a 3-4 ILB well.

I honestly believe he could be our best bet for the future at ILB... but that won't happen until they commit to it.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:21 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's pretty discouraging that they are even trying him at OLB. Pretty obvious he is better suited for ILB. No surprise he hasn't "stood out" so far in camp at OLB
Old 08-16-2014, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

While I still like Haha quite a bit I was annoyed to see Shazier play super well today. 11 tackles and an INT in less than a half of work against mostly the 1s. Granted it was the bills.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I like this:

The 2013 Packers were 6-2 with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, if you don’t count the first Bears game in which he went out early. The Pack was 2-5-1 with anybody else at quarterback.

The ’13 Bears were 5-5 with Jay Cutler at quarterback, if you don’t count the Redskins game in which he went out early, and they were 3-3 with anybody else at quarterback.

The Packers were one of the best teams in the league with Rodgers, one of the worst without him. The Bears were just average no matter who was at quarterback.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Can we please just be done with Burnett? Pretty, pretty please? I think he's just a terrible football player. I don't get it.

You know what I really liked seeing on Saturday? Two long, athletic safeties that can run support and flow in coverage on our defense. Those two safeties were Micah Hyde and Haha Clinton-Dix. Both have much better movement skills than Burnett and are much more sure tacklers. Plus, guess what, they both have ACTUAL INSTINCTS FOR THE BALL. Burnett literally has zero. Even when Haha got beat off the line against the Titans, he was savvy enough to get those long arms around for a deflection. I saw similar plays against the Rams where he was almost able to get in for deflections; plays that could turn into INTs as the game slows down for him.

What does Burnett give us? He allows big plays, doesn't get takeaways and is up and down in run support. Any of Hyde, Haha or even Richardson have higher floors and much, much higher ceilings.

Burnett should be competing for our #4 safety with Banjo. **** his contract.

I just suddenly felt the need to vent about that. I don't get why we coddle some players that aren't worth it. Everyone can see that Burnett lacks instincts in coverage. Even when he gets in perfect position, which is rare, he whiffs on plays. The sooner we move on and give more reps to Haha and Richardson, the sooner they can reach their potential.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny question:

Let's pretend for a moment that every NFL team actually had a Developmental Roster, think a greatly expanded version of the practice squad, which operated as part of a Minor League. And let's pretend that team consisted of pretty much everyone in Camp who didn't make the actual cut.

1. How strong supposedly do those cast-offs/additional Undrafted Players/additional Free Agents look against the rest of the NFL Minor Leaguers?
2. Does ANYONE among the probable cuts stand out in any way to make a Minor League system worthwhile in this case?
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycho32 View Post
Funny question:

Let's pretend for a moment that every NFL team actually had a Developmental Roster, think a greatly expanded version of the practice squad, which operated as part of a Minor League. And let's pretend that team consisted of pretty much everyone in Camp who didn't make the actual cut.

1. How strong supposedly do those cast-offs/additional Undrafted Players/additional Free Agents look against the rest of the NFL Minor Leaguers?
2. Does ANYONE among the probable cuts stand out in any way to make a Minor League system worthwhile in this case?
Sure.
There are plenty of players who are worthy.
Especially at the RB position, where guys get beat up and broken down all the time.

I think the USFL should come back, stay in the spring.
******* Donald Trump ruined what was a great thing, and would have grown.....

I agree, Burnett should be the #4 safety right now with Banjo competing with him.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Lyerla has been waived. If he clears waivers, he'll be placed on IR.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Lyerla has been waived. If he clears waivers, he'll be placed on IR.
Can't really imagine anybody picking him up. Hopefully he can get healthy, stay out of trouble and help the team next year.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might ultimately be the best case scenario for Lyerla. He wasn't going to make the team anyway, and this way he can still stay within the Packers organization. Hopefully he stays in Green Bay all year and focuses on becoming an NFL player.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Can't really imagine anybody picking him up. Hopefully he can get healthy, stay out of trouble and help the team next year.
I can see someone else trying to sign him.

New England did it last year to NYG with TE Jake Ballard.
I'd not be surprised at all if someone else signs Lyerla.
The fact that Ted Thompson brought him in, will give credence to the young man.

Plus the Vikings, Bears, Lions would love to **** us, especially those Grape Apes to the west who live in our shadow for 20+ years now...
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Chicago may be a possibility for Lyerla with Rosario being the lone option behind Bennett after the injury to Zach Miller.