Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-26-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Draft crunch time...

Everybody post your Vikes mock drafts in these waning days before the draft. Sorry if there was already a thread about this, didn't see one specifically for Viking mock drafts.

Here is mine w/out trades:

1/7 - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma: This isn't necessarily the pick I would make, but rather what I think might occur. Zygi could see AP as an attraction to the fans, while Childress could see him as BPA. I'm scared of his injuries/durability and upright running style, especially with the revelation of his lingering collarbone injury. Personally, I want to trade down as I don't really think the value of the #7 pick really fits with our needs.

2/41 - Sydney Rice, South Carolina: I really like him, he is smooth and has great ball skills and only 20 years old. I think he has better potential to start than guys like Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzales, though he may be a bit more raw.

3/72 - Ryan McBean, Oklahoma: DT is actually a pretty big need for us, as Pat and Kevin Williams are really the onle "true" DTs on the roster. I love McBean's potential in the pros and think he is athletic enough to spell Pat on passing downs and be a factor. Also, there is the Karl Dunbar connection.

4/106 - Andrae Allison, East Carolina: A lot of you will say he'll be gone by this point, but I think he could pretty easily slip to day 2. I think some analysts are putting too much stock in his Senior Bowl practice week in regards to his draft value, whereas front offices may have him pegged later. Either way, I love him and would love to get a shot at him on day 2.

5/146 - Earl Everett: Our backup LBers are a huge need for this team, as nobody behind EJ/Leber/Greenway are guys that I would ever want to see the field with the base defense on Sundays. Everrett is athletic and I think projects nicely to the Tampa-2. He seems to be flying under the radar.

6/182 - Kasey Studdard, Texas: From a championship team. I think he is being overlooked just like Mark Setterstrom was overlooked last year. You saw what Setterstrom did for the Rams, and I think this could be the same type of pick.

7/217 - Jacob Ford, Central Arkansas: Sleeper DE with good tools who could provide some speed of the edge which we don't have with our current crop of ends.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This probably could have gone under Forum Mock Thread.

1 - Adrian Peterson - Oklahoma - RB - Most likely now with the Injury talk he will fall to us and he should be fine before week one or even in preseaon. He is a great runner and a game breaker and will help this team alot with the 2 running back system we could set up with him.

2 - Sidney Rice - South Carolina - WR - It could be him or Dwayne Jarret it just depends if Jarret could fall to us before a team like Dolphins/Bears take him. Sidney Rice is very expolsive and could be our #1 with Troy on the other side.

3 - LaMar Woodley - Michigan - DE - A good Cover 2 DE that would bring a pass rush theart from the side. Very quick for his size and would be a great DE for our Tampa 2.

4 - Paul Williams - Fresno State - WR - Nice frame and long arms would be another receiver that could help us.

5 - Allen Barbre - Missouri Southern St. - OT - Great Speed for an OT and would be a good fit in our Zone Block scheme that needs quick Lineman that can block on the run.

6 - Courtney Brown - Cal Poly - CB - Very Fast and a very good size and a great leaper and could become our Nickel Back.

7 - Jeremy Clark - Alabama - DT - Good size and good speed and quickness.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

*** 1/7 - (TRADE DOWN WITH DALLAS)................*
*** 1/22 Robert Meachem / WR/ Tennesse...........*

As much as I want Quinn to be there, I don't think he will be.
Plus I don't think Childress has the stones to ante up and take him even
if he was there. I can't see the Vikings taking a Rb with so many injury
concerns no matter how many "draft experts" have already enshrined him in canton.
The Vikings are no where near a top 10 pick away from being a legit
contender. This scenario allows them to trade down and stockpile talent.
Then next year the group from this year and last will have SOME form
of self and we'll be able to choose players to "complete the puzzle".
......My thinking with the trade down that far is ,
we'd likely get Dallas'
1st this year, 2nd this year, 6th this year
and a 1st or 2nd next year.
Not only is that "too good to pass up" I believe Jerry Jones
is desperate for that "missing piece" which , in his head,
could very well be that deep pass defense.
If Landry is on the board this is almost automatic in my book.
Denver is also an option as would San Diego.
Meachem is a legit burner who can catch. He's got great size
, and character. he's modest and great. Sounds perfect for
Chilly.

** 2/41 - Jarvis Moss / DE / Florida.....................*

I can't see him as a legit 1st round talent. He's light and
there's questions as to whether he can hold up for 3 downs.
I can see him as a situational pass rusher. Much like Lance Johnstone
used to be for us.

********************************.***************** ***
** 2/53 - (From Dallas) - Manuel Rameriez / OG / Texas Tech....*

As bad as Ryan Cook was last year..Artis Hicks was worse.
Hicks lead the line in penalties and if there was a stat kept
for missed blocks he'd have lead there too. Rameriez is a punisher
who , if he gets his hands on you, it's over.
Right side help is an absolute must.

** 3/72 - Jacoby Jones / WR / Lane...*

The "hottest" WR prospect outside of the top 7. Jones tore up
inferior competition...that's no impressive. But his size & athletisism
are to good to pass on. If Bollinger or Jackson is to be the man
we're going to have to give him something other than
the WR batch we currently have.

** 4/106 - Brandon Mebane / DT / California.......*

Having 3 DT's total isn't suitable. Jayme Mitchell filling in
for big Pat last year cost the team big yards, sustained drives,
and eventual points. A "plug" to insert when either Williamson gets
winded. Has decent upside IMO also.

** 5/146 - Brandon Frye / OT / Virginia Tech........*

One of my personal fav's. Frye is an extemely underrated physical "knocker"
(knock you on your ass) with decent footspeed. lacks experience
but so does Cook. And Frye has better skills suited for a RT.

** 6/182 - Kenny Scott / CB / Georgia Tech......*

3 things. 1.) his speed. One of the faster DB's in the entire
draft. 2.) his big frame and long arms will help hide mistakes.
and 3.) You can't go up against Calvin Johnson every day for 3 years
and not at least get a glimpse of what it's going to take to succeed
at the next level. 3 year starter...not dynamic or a playmaker, but
is good enough to learn how to be in position to knock balls down or shield
the ball from the recievers.

**6/200 - (From Dallas) / / Selvin Young / RB / Texas...*

A smaller 3rd down kind of back who could help out returning
kicks. Not as good a prospect as Mewelde Moore ...but IMO very similar. Decent hands good vision, okay speed. has a nose for
the goal line.

** 7/217 - Dedrick Harrington / ILB/ Mizzu.....*

Run stopper who could be a situational insert for goal line sets or
special teams.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

amesbear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

3/72 - Ryan McBean, Oklahoma: DT

Swagger, McBean is an Oklahoma STATE guy. The only reason I am bringing this up is because the last OK State DT we drafted turned out pretty well. I think its a good pick.

Last edited by amesbear : 04-26-2007 at 07:30 PM.
amesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesbear View Post
3/72 - Ryan McBean, Oklahoma: DT

Swagger, McBean is an Oklahoma STATE guy. The only reason I am bringing this up is because the last OK State DT we drafted turned out pretty well. I think its a good pick.
My bad. That was just a typo. I even mentioned Karl Dunbar in my post, who coached both K-Will and McBean at Oklahoma State.

I really like McBean. I could really see him coming into his own in the NFL.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I think will happen on Day 1.

1. LaRon Landry

2. Aaron Ross

3. Johnnie Lee Higgins

4. Brandon Mebane
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Aaron Ross in the 2nd is my "ideal" pick.
I'd probably be happier with Ross than either Peterson, Jammal Anderson, Levi Brown or Leon Hall in the first.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas CBs in the second round 2 years in a row haha
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I forget where I heard this ...but the Vikings were going to start taking "players from schools filled with a tradition of winning".
Which made sense with Greenway and Griffin last year.
I guess that belief must only be for the first 2 picks because after that
New Mexico ? D1-AA ?

I don't understand how ,with all the double talk this administration does , aren't they called on it more often.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

http://www.draftnotebook.com/draft_projection.htm

Either some one from this site stole my idea...or I have an evil twin
somewhere who shares the same mental wave length as I.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:44 AM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie

reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Grubbs in the 2nd round - gimme a break, we picked up 2 OG's in free agency, didnt anyone else watch that? and then no MLB until the 3rd? dump the OG, and grab Durant or Harris instead, and personally instead of QB in the 2nd, get a CB/s and get the Qb if you want (which i doubt, with next years QB class) in the 3rd.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:48 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

wow I thought williamson was a reach and now meachum who has no history of even being a decent receiver. I would rather take a known commodity
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well with my prediction im going to go in a different direction than the consensus LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson...

The worst kept secret in this years draft is how much gruden Likes Calvin Johnson, But i believe the best kept secret in this years draft is just how much Childress likes Calvin Johnson himself all the interest in Peterson, Quinn, and Landry is all a smoke screen intended to give the bucs a false sense of security that Calvin will fall to them at #4. There has been a lot of talk about the bucs trading from #4 to #2 but that would consist of there first rounder and both there seconds in this years draft which i believe is too expensive for Bruce allen's(their GM) taste so the trade won't happen. It's also said that if the bucs dont trade the Lions are content taking Calvin Johnson themselves, although i agree that would be the smart choice there, its not the Millen choice i believe its all a bs smoke screen to try and force the bucs to make the trade... I belive that Speilman will trade 1(7) 2(41) and a future 2nd to move up to #3

1(3):Calvin Johnson WR
3(72): Quentin Moses DE
4(106):Ryan McBean DT
5(145):Kenny Scott CB
6(182):Mike Walker WR
7(217):Mike Jones G

Last edited by Crazy_Chris : 04-28-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My true beliefs for our draft:
1) Laron Landry
2) Steve Smith - ICK!!! I really would hate this, but I see it coming
3) Charles Johnson
4) Dan Santucci
5) Michael Coe - ASU all the way!
6) Derek Landri
7) Gary Russell - Ha!

Note, this is what I see happening, not necessarily what I want to happen.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
chug o nomics
Rookie

chug o nomics hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. LaRon Landry
2. Sidney Rice
3. Victor Abiamiri
4. HB Blades

or if we're being realistic here...
1. LaRon Landry
2. Eric Weddle
3. Aaron Rouse
4. Joel Filani
Old 04-28-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
well with my prediction im going to go in a different direction than the consensus LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson...

The worst kept secret in this years draft is how much gruden Likes Calvin Johnson, But i believe the best kept secret in this years draft is just how much Childress likes Calvin Johnson himself all the interest in Peterson, Quinn, and Landry is all a smoke screen intended to give the bucs a false sense of security that Calvin will fall to them at #4. There has been a lot of talk about the bucs trading from #4 to #2 but that would consist of there first rounder and both there seconds in this years draft which i believe is too expensive for Bruce allen's(their GM) taste so the trade won't happen. It's also said that if the bucs dont trade the Lions are content taking Calvin Johnson themselves, although i agree that would be the smart choice there, its not the Millen choice i believe its all a bs smoke screen to try and force the bucs to make the trade... I belive that Speilman will trade 1(7) 2(41) and a future 2nd to move up to #3

1(3):Calvin Johnson WR
3(72): Quentin Moses DE
4(106):Ryan McBean DT
5(145):Kenny Scott CB
6(182):Mike Walker WR
7(217):Mike Jones G
That isn't enough to move up. Trust me if someone moves up to #3 Cleveland isn't going to let that spot go for anything less than 2-#1's.
you can add up all the "value points you want" 25 - 4th rounders...a combination of 3rds and 5th's...reality is, that spots "value" is dictated by the player that sits there. In this case the "privilage" of drafting Calvin Johnson ON draft morning (the highest this kids value will ever be) is going to be 2-1's, 2-2nd's and probably a 3rd AND either cash or future consideration picks.
As much as I'd love to see it, I just can't see it.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thats probably true but im just trying to think outside the box lol and hoping we find a way to grab him
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
1/7 - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma: This isn't necessarily the pick I would make, but rather what I think might occur. Zygi could see AP as an attraction to the fans, while Childress could see him as BPA. I'm scared of his injuries/durability and upright running style, especially with the revelation of his lingering collarbone injury. Personally, I want to trade down as I don't really think the value of the #7 pick really fits with our needs.

2/41 - Sydney Rice, South Carolina: I really like him, he is smooth and has great ball skills and only 20 years old. I think he has better potential to start than guys like Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzales, though he may be a bit more raw.
There it is.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
litlharsh
Veteran

litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Solid ************* picks. Nice job, those were the players I was hoping for too.
litlharsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
This probably could have gone under Forum Mock Thread.

1 - Adrian Peterson - Oklahoma - RB - Most likely now with the Injury talk he will fall to us and he should be fine before week one or even in preseaon. He is a great runner and a game breaker and will help this team alot with the 2 running back system we could set up with him.

2 - Sidney Rice - South Carolina - WR - It could be him or Dwayne Jarret it just depends if Jarret could fall to us before a team like Dolphins/Bears take him. Sidney Rice is very expolsive and could be our #1 with Troy on the other side.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there Swaggar.
Dynasty "guessed" the same 2 picks.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:23 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Im not sure anyonewas surprised by the picks.
I think we did a pretty good job as far as injuries go Name a rb who hasnt been injured in the league.
Honestly the peterson pick prolly saves childress job. Now Taylor wont have to carry the ball 30 times a game. and Maybe that will reduce his fumbles.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there Swaggar.
Dynasty "guessed" the same 2 picks.
Good job for Dynasty, too, then.

PS. I also had Andrae Allison going to the Vikes, albeit a round too soon.

Quote:

4/106 - Andrae Allison, East Carolina: A lot of you will say he'll be gone by this point, but I think he could pretty easily slip to day 2. I think some analysts are putting too much stock in his Senior Bowl practice week in regards to his draft value, whereas front offices may have him pegged later. Either way, I love him and would love to get a shot at him on day 2.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Good job for Dynasty, too, then.

PS. I also had Andrae Allison going to the Vikes, albeit a round too soon.
yeah he was a steal in the 5th I had him going late in the 3rd
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

According to the USA todays TOP 100 prospects we ended up with

#4 Adraian Peterson
#43 sidney rice
#63 rufus alexander
#83 aundrae allison
#53 marcus McCalley

not bad for 8 pick draft