Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 AM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.
Default Post Draft Musings

Overall I thought we had a fantastic draft. We didn't fill all our needs, but anyone that looked at the situation objectively going into the draft knew it would be almost impossible to do so. We stuck by a BPA approach while also drafting players that made sense for what we're trying to run. Simply put, we are a much better football team now than we were two days ago.

1. WR Dwayne Bowe A

Great pick for our scheme, i'm not sure why there weren't more of us on his bandwagon beforehand. Size, speed, strength, great blocker - he has it all. I compared him to Anquan Boldin yesterday and i'm sticking by it, this guy is going to be physical with DBs and make plays if we can get him the ball.

2. DE/DT Turk McBride B

It sounds like we are leaning towards plugging McBride in at DE, but we will see how it unfolds. Personally, I think he would be a great fit in an undertackle role in the Cover 2. He reminds me a bit of Montae Reagor, or even a poor man's Tommie Harris. There was a wide variation in how experts viewed him - i've seen him as high as the 5th DT and as low as 17th. His upside is through the roof.

3. DT Tank Tyler A-

Best pick in the draft, as I didn't think Carl had the balls to take a guy like this if he dropped a bit. I give him an A- just because of the character concerns and motor issues, but this kid has everything you look for in a potentially dominant 2-gap DT. You get a guy like this to step up and reach his potential, and it completely transforms a good defense into a great one.

5a. RB Kolby Smith B

I scratched my head when his name was first called, but after thinking about it more it makes a lot of sense. I see some similarities between LJ and Smith, and I think he has a chance to be a reliable backup in our system. Bennett is a nice player but is more of a change of pace guy rather than someone who could carry the load if LJ went down. If needed, I think Smith could hold up for a bit as a starter if LJ got hurt.

5b. K Justin Medlock D

Probably my least favorite pick. I'm not a big fan of taking kickers or punters in the draft, as I think they can have a lot of variability in their performance from year to year. Last year's playoff game notwithstanding, I still had confidence that Tynes could be at least a league average kicker. They must have some confidence in this kid's long-term value, otherwise it will end up being a wasted pick.

6. OT Herbert Taylor C-

Odd pick IMO, he has poor size and seems to be a better fit in a zone blocking scheme. Not sure if he is sticking at tackle or guard, but I think there were better options. Don't have high expectations for him.

7. TE Michael Allan B+

IMO this was a great low-risk/high-reward pick to end the draft. Allan has an amazing size/speed ratio, is an amazing athlete, and seems to have reliable hands. If we use him correctly he could be a huge mismatch problem for NFL secondaries. I would prefer that we have him drop a few pounds and use him in a WR/TE hybrid, similar to how the Saints used Colston, rather than try and force him into a traditional TE role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Overall I thought we had a fantastic draft. We didn't fill all our needs, but anyone that looked at the situation objectively going into the draft knew it would be almost impossible to do so. We stuck by a BPA approach while also drafting players that made sense for what we're trying to run. Simply put, we are a much better football team now than we were two days ago.

1. WR Dwayne Bowe A

Great pick for our scheme, i'm not sure why there weren't more of us on his bandwagon beforehand. Size, speed, strength, great blocker - he has it all. I compared him to Anquan Boldin yesterday and i'm sticking by it, this guy is going to be physical with DBs and make plays if we can get him the ball.

2. DE/DT Turk McBride B

It sounds like we are leaning towards plugging McBride in at DE, but we will see how it unfolds. Personally, I think he would be a great fit in an undertackle role in the Cover 2. He reminds me a bit of Montae Reagor, or even a poor man's Tommie Harris. There was a wide variation in how experts viewed him - i've seen him as high as the 5th DT and as low as 17th. His upside is through the roof.

3. DT Tank Tyler A-

Best pick in the draft, as I didn't think Carl had the balls to take a guy like this if he dropped a bit. I give him an A- just because of the character concerns and motor issues, but this kid has everything you look for in a potentially dominant 2-gap DT. You get a guy like this to step up and reach his potential, and it completely transforms a good defense into a great one.

5a. RB Kolby Smith B

I scratched my head when his name was first called, but after thinking about it more it makes a lot of sense. I see some similarities between LJ and Smith, and I think he has a chance to be a reliable backup in our system. Bennett is a nice player but is more of a change of pace guy rather than someone who could carry the load if LJ went down. If needed, I think Smith could hold up for a bit as a starter if LJ got hurt.

5b. K Justin Medlock D

Probably my least favorite pick. I'm not a big fan of taking kickers or punters in the draft, as I think they can have a lot of variability in their performance from year to year. Last year's playoff game notwithstanding, I still had confidence that Tynes could be at least a league average kicker. They must have some confidence in this kid's long-term value, otherwise it will end up being a wasted pick.

6. OT Herbert Taylor C-

Odd pick IMO, he has poor size and seems to be a better fit in a zone blocking scheme. Not sure if he is sticking at tackle or guard, but I think there were better options. Don't have high expectations for him.

7. TE Michael Allan B+

IMO this was a great low-risk/high-reward pick to end the draft. Allan has an amazing size/speed ratio, is an amazing athlete, and seems to have reliable hands. If we use him correctly he could be a huge mismatch problem for NFL secondaries. I would prefer that we have him drop a few pounds and use him in a WR/TE hybrid, similar to how the Saints used Colston, rather than try and force him into a traditional TE role.
It's exciting to see how this is all going to unfold going into training camp. I commened Peterson and Edwards in another thread for not appearing to reach for players to fill a need and taking the guy they had rated the best. I slightly disagree with two of your grades though EZ, let me know your thoughts:

Kolby Smith (D)- Looking at the player he seems to offer a little of everything we need out of a running back. Where I have an issue is that we essiently spent a 4th round pick on Bennet and an immediate 5th rounder on Smith. With all of the holes I thought we could have gotten much more value out of this spot. It's not a knock on Smith, but on the postion we went in.

Herbert Taylor (B-)- I don't think there is any way this guy ever lines up as a tackle for us, but he is just the type of athletic guard that Peterson always seems to find. I really think this guy is going to stick for us though his impact won't be felt for a couple of years. I actually like this guy more than I do Tre Stallings from last year. There's a ton of potenital here and I bet Solari and team will be able to bring it out of him.

My fear for this draft though is that it appears Peterson has drafted a backup plan for losing both Johnson and Allen next season. While I agree it's a good idea to get some players in the fold, it's going to be a huge step backwards for our team if that does in fact happen. A long way to go I know but just reading between the lines I am a tad worried from that perspective.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

On Smith, i've heard that we view him as a multi-talented back similar to a Kimble Anders. I think he can be effective in our RB rotation immediately because he is more of a downfield runner like LJ, rather than a shifty, pure speed guy like Bennett. Also, with us running LJ into the ground last year, there is a decent chance that he could start to wear down this season. If that happened, I have doubts that Bennett could be counted on to carry a full-load. The Smith addition provides insurance that if LJ goes down, Smith and Bennett should be able to help us survive.

On Taylor, I think he may be an adequate guard, but he just seems too light right now. He sounds like an athletic guy with good footwork so maybe I am focusing too much on his size, but at first glance he seems like a bit of a T/G tweener rather than a true guard prospect. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like your analysis EZ. I too question the kicker and o-line pick. I don't believe kickers or punters should be drafted, and the o-lineman doesn't seem to fit in the direction the Chiefs offense is going. Very puzzling and it will be interesting to see how much bigger he can get.

And I like your analysis of the TE. I've kind of warmed up to him a little bit, good pick in the 7th round, although I'm sure there could have been more immediate value, but then again, it is the 7th round and you're only going to find your Colstons and Pages every so often.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Tyler can stay clean can you say steal?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
On Smith, i've heard that we view him as a multi-talented back similar to a Kimble Anders. I think he can be effective in our RB rotation immediately because he is more of a downfield runner like LJ, rather than a shifty, pure speed guy like Bennett. Also, with us running LJ into the ground last year, there is a decent chance that he could start to wear down this season. If that happened, I have doubts that Bennett could be counted on to carry a full-load. The Smith addition provides insurance that if LJ goes down, Smith and Bennett should be able to help us survive.

On Taylor, I think he may be an adequate guard, but he just seems too light right now. He sounds like an athletic guy with good footwork so maybe I am focusing too much on his size, but at first glance he seems like a bit of a T/G tweener rather than a true guard prospect. Just my 2 cents.
I'm not doubting Smith as a player. I really liked the kid this year and think he is a very useful addition. I'm more concerned by the fact that we already had 3 RB's on our roster that were expected to make the team and taking a 4th seems more like a luxary pick given the amount of needs we had. I'm trusting that Herm and Peterson our on the right track, but the 5th round as a whole left me somewhat bewildered. As far as Taylor, I have never seen the guy play so I'm just guessing bases on various scouting reports, but he just seems like a guy that gives us a bunch of options on our offense, I'm assuming Solari is wanting to open the field a bit more with sweeps and screens this season and this is the type of guy that should excel in those areas.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think our running back situation is one that we should have been content with. LJ is gonna be a good runner unless he gets hurt, so what happens if (when?) he gets hurt? Bennett is unreliable and Ross is unproven and likely to be taking a beating in Europe. Kolby is a good choice there and is great insurance (hopefully) in case LJ bolts in free agency.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

I think the Kolby Smith pick essentially says that we aren't confident in Derrick Ross as our 3rd RB. I doubt Ross makes the team at this point.

By the way, is Boomer's move to FB a done deal? I haven't heard much about it lately.

Quote:

Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

Quote:
I think the Kolby Smith pick essentially says that we aren't confident in Derrick Ross as our 3rd RB. I doubt Ross makes the team at this point.

By the way, is Boomer's move to FB a done deal? I haven't heard much about it lately.

I've read on KCChiefs.com that Wilson is the starting full back next year. I don't know what that means for Grigsby if anything. It will probably be sorted out in training camp.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I only that likes Justin Medlock... He completely dominated Mason Crosby at the skills competition, but then again it was kind of meaningless... also, I'm not a big Tynes fan. I also think that Herb Taylor might be like a Chris Bober type player.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I don't have a problem with Medlock (although his drunk driving thing is...bothersome), I'm just not a big fan of drafting kickers. Colquitt has worked out thus far, but, generally I don't think it should happen.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Medlok as well.Tynes has gotta go.