Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Giants Defensive Staff Talks with the media

http://giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=25392

Interesting read. The thing that stuck out to me is that Jay Alford will compete at the NT position.

Does that mean that Coffield is going to UT? I found that a little odd.

Another interesting note is that RW McQuarters might play some safety, and Gibril Wilson packed on some muscle.

I was disappointed that they didn't talk about DeOssie. I wouldve loved to hear more about him. It seems like they plan on having Wilk make the leap this year at WILL. They dont sound fully commited, but it sounds like theyre hoping he can do it. Its a make or break year for him. If Wilk doesnt pan out at WILL, and Chase doesnt work out there either, we'll definately look for a WILL in the draft. My biggest issue with Wilk is he plays soft. He doesnt play with a mean streak. I want to see more agression and power out of him. He's too finesse right now.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Am I the only one that thinks Fred Robbin's season was a fluke? I don't think be as productive this year. I want to see Alford and Cofield (Our DTs for the future) start right away. I think they fit into Spags system more than Robbins. The philly defense had DTs that aren't necessary big, but they are very quick and athletic. Alford and Cofield fit into that category much more than Robbins.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Fred Robbin's season was a fluke? I don't think be as productive this year. I want to see Alford and Cofield (Our DTs for the future) start right away. I think they fit into Spags system more than Robbins. The philly defense had DTs that aren't necessary big, but they are very quick and athletic. Alford and Cofield fit into that category much more than Robbins.
I don't expect Robbins to have a repeat performance. It seems like every year we have an overachiever at DT who does great for one year and then falls off. I think the coaching staff noticed it too, which is why they went for Alford in round 3.

I think we'll be fine at DT. I personally don't like undersized DTs, I would prefer more thickness up front, but with AP back there it shouldnt be a huge problem.

I would like to see Coffield get up to 315 to 320.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Couple things regarding DT-

-I don't think Cofield was ever above 305 last year. I highly doubt he'll be above 310 this year but weight really isn't as important as some people think. That's just another number for people to fall in love with...Barry was successful at DT last year because he is strong and he plays with outstanding techinique and leverage. They say Alford will bring the same things to the table but I don't think he will play NT. He is considerably weaker than Cofield was last year and he plays high at times. I still think we will and we should have Cofield at NT and Robbins at UT to start with Bell spelling Cofield at NT and Alford/Joseph/Cofield spelling Robbins at UT. We have plenty of above average DTs on this team for our scheme and that has to make you happy. All these guys will see the field a lot, so who starts and who doesn't really does not matter.

-Robbins was a good player in Minny before he signed here. Had a couple of underachieving seasons but I think that was due to Joseph seeing the field more than he should. I expect Robbins to have another big year, especially with our new scheme. He could play at a level that Corey Simon did with the Eagles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talks abouw R.W. moving to safety have been going on for years, on a few teams, for him. I'm pretty sure hes always been against the move, but hes probably accepted it as inevitable now.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Talks abouw R.W. moving to safety have been going on for years, on a few teams, for him. I'm pretty sure hes always been against the move, but hes probably accepted it as inevitable now.
He has played there several times over his career. He'll be what Bell was for us last year....a guy that will provide adequate depth at both spots.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-04-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RW would be our best bet at FS. he lpayed there a couple years ago(well thats what my madden game from 2 years ago says:)) gibril putting oon muscle is very good. they told him relax, and just play, and with new strenght, i expect good things from gibril. RW would be a great "qb" of the secondary with his vet knowledge would be a very good leader back there. i like demps, but he's really a SS, and gibril is better than him. also if RW makes the swithc, expect alot of Ross, possbily #2, but most likely #3 to start off the season

edit: wow, 700th post- yay me! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Last edited by scottyboy : 05-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll have a great rotation at DT this year, which I'm not sure we if we did last year. I look DT to be a strong point this year, and arguably we have a top 5 interior line rotation, which I think will help Strahan and Osi.

See, I like passing rushing DT's for us, because a lot of the Osi and Strahan are being double teamed and having those strong, quick, pass rushing DT's allow us to get sacks from the inside.

I look for Cofield to have a really big season this year, I thought he did amazing last year. Got worn out a bit towards the end, but it's bound to happen to all rookies who have never played a 16+ season. Especially at DT.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alford at NT? Huh, that's interesting, I would have thought he was far better suited at UT.

Well, we'll see how it pans out by the time the season starts.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

I heavily doubt Alford will see any time at NT unless it is a passing down.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'll be interesting to see, but on obvious passing downs, the interior of our line might be completely different then on other downs.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote