Originally Posted by Ronniec513
I love the pick. I would've liked to trade down at the time, but our two main targets, Griffin and Ross, went 19 and 20 after our pick so we couldn't have traded down too far and still gotten a guy we liked. Hall is rated as a top 10 player i this draft, he slid a little because he doesn't have top-end speed but that's why he fits perfect here. Joseph has the top-end speed to match up against the speed WR on any team. Hall is simply solid in every area of the game. Show me a team in the NFL that has 2 WR's that run 4.35. It doesn't happen. Joseph covers the speed guy, Hall covers the bigger, route runner.
Good point and I hadn't thought of that. There are a ton of reasons this was a great pick for the Bengals:
1. The Bengals HAD to get a great character guy in the first round. The media would have been in a frenzy if they had taken someone like Merriweather. Also, just for team chemistry we needed a guy like Hall who is a student of the game and works extremely hard.
2. CB is premium position. For the Bengals, who spend a ton of money on the offense, it is impossible to go grab good CBs in free agency. Nate Clements is a good but not great CB and he got 10 mil. per year. Now we have 2 young guys who are going to be signed long term. Their combined salaries will be about 1/3 of what Clements makes.
3. Bengals filled their biggest need. The offense is obviously very good and didn't have major holes. The run D was actually middle of the pack last year. It was the pass D that was horrible. It absolutely killed us that we couldn't get off the field on third downs. Now, we don't have to count on the inconsistent Deltha O'neal to HAVE to be the starter. He could still start if he earns it, but he won't be given the position. Also, we would have had to go into the season with Kiewan as the nickle and he has looked terrible the last two seasons.
4. Addition of a physical presence in the secondary. One thing the Bengals have lacked for years is physical players in the secondary. Deltha is weak against the run. With Hall, Marvin White, Madieu and Joseph (surprisingly solid tackler I thought) we now have the makings of the best and toughest young secondary we have had in 15 years.
5. Very low bust factor. As mentioned earlier, CBs are expensive and very hard to find. Hall doesn't have to be a Pro Bowler. If he is a solid #2 corner alongside Joseph, he will be well worth a mid first rounder.