Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where would you rather live, Tampa or Minnesota? Case closed!
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:13 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
I do live in Tampa.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:07 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms2Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
Tampa, Marinelli won a championship with it and tweaked it to perfection.
Marinelli was the DL coach.

Also, I think since 2 of our defenses are considered among the best ever (98-99 and 02-03) made the Cover 2 what it is today.

Without those great defenses and great players, the Cover 2 wouldn't be as famous.

Do any college teams run the Cover 2?
I know the University of Miami does. Not sure about anywhere else.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:50 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure many college teams run the Cover 2. I know for a fact that Div-1 AA Illinois State does. Jags' fifth rounder Brent Hawkins was a DE there, and his coach (D-coordinator or head I dunno) is the son of Teerlinck the Colts DL coach. Brent mentioned on an interview that they run the same defense the Colts do.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
minnesota.

but i have an intense personal dislike for the city of tampa.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:05 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
minnesota.

Why? The city itself is a little depressed and its more of a Clearwater than a St. Petersburg but I like it.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:13 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings Fan
Quote:
Quote:
minnesota.

Why? The city itself is a little depressed and its more of a Clearwater than a St. Petersburg but I like it.
i've had to spend a lot of time there for work and i can't honestly point to a single thing i like about it (well, maybe with the minor exception that the airport is easy to deal with).

then again, i've also never been down to y'alls bar street (i can't remember the name of the area right now... ybor or something?), so that might make it better.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
Here's an article that explains the difference, as well as some diagrams:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...minicamps/167/
Nice article. That the Steelers of the 70's used it shows why it has staying poower, as anything that brings rings gets copied. Seeing as how Minnesota continues to be ringless, not likely that anything will get named after them, unless it involves eating oysters in public on Lake Minnetonka.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
minnesota.

i've had to spend a lot of time there for work and i can't honestly point to a single thing i like about it (well, maybe with the minor exception that the airport is easy to deal with).

then again, i've also never been down to y'alls bar street (i can't remember the name of the area right now... ybor or something?), so that might make it better.

The airport is wonderfully easy and quick.

Ybor is the name and its a great place with bars and Cafes with a heavy Cuban influence, its the best part of the area.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
Quote:

Also, I think since 2 of our defenses are considered among the best ever (98-99 and 02-03) made the Cover 2 what it is today.

Without those great defenses and great players, the Cover 2 wouldn't be as famous.

Doesnt Penn State use the Cover 2? Thats why Zemaitis said he knows Tampa 2 good already.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 PM    (permalink
iripcorners26
Veteran

iripcorners26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well. The West Coast offense was invented by Paul Brown in Cleveland, but was perfected by Bill Walsh in San Francisco. Same thing with Cover 2. It doesn't matter where it started; It was perfected and made famous in Tampa.

...and it is catchy
Old 07-09-2006, 11:33 PM    (permalink
bucpimpin
Rookie

bucpimpin smells like sex panther.
Default Re: Cover 2

Quote:
If Tony and Monte created it in Minnesota then why is it the "Tampa 2"?
They didnt create it in Minnesota.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucpimpin
Quote:
Actually they did.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM    (permalink
bucpimpin
Rookie

bucpimpin smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually they did.
Monte came from seattle.. Dungy brought in Kiffen, Marinelli, Lovie, Herm when he came to Tampa. There it was born.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:40 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually they did.
Monte came from seattle.. Dungy brought in Kiffen, Marinelli, Lovie, Herm when he came to Tampa. There it was born.
The concept was first tested and used in minnesota, nobody really disputes that. It was perfected in Tampa/
Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does it really matter? Its an extremely overrated defense anyway. Boo to Tampa 2. Tampa 2 $ucks a$$.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

"Kiffin came to Tampa Bay after spending the 1995 campaign as the defensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints. In 1995, the Saints tied for fourth in the NFL in sacks with 44. Just prior to coaching in New Orleans, Kiffin spent four seasons (1991-94) as an assistant coach for the Minnesota Vikings, serving as defensive coordinator for head coach Jerry Burns in 1991 and as inside linebackers coach for head coach Dennis Green and defensive coordinator Tony Dungy from 1992-94. During that tenure in Minnesota, the Vikings led the league in both total defense and run defense in 1994."

Sorry to burst your bubble....
Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 PM    (permalink
littlewebs
Rookie

Location: The Pacific Northwest - Where great athletes go to be overshadowed by lesser east coast athletes
littlewebs hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4
Quote:
they perfected it
Are you a Packers fan?
packers
ravens
redskins
chiefs
many teams why
Sports bigamist :evil:
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Does it really matter? Its an extremely overrated defense anyway. Boo to Tampa 2. Tampa 2 $ucks a$$.

What? The Buccaneers have had the most consistently great defense the last 10 years using a Tampa 2, including 1 Super Bowl.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

What? The Buccaneers have had the most consistently great defense the last 10 years using a Tampa 2, including 1 Super Bowl.
Cover 2 is a regular season defense. The bucs had much success in the regular season over the past 10 years with it, but outside that one Super Bowl year, have perrenially choked in the playoffs. Its simplicity, vulnerability to power backs, and inability to play man defense kills it in the playoffs. Its fine and dandy in the regular season, but when the stakes are higher and everything intensifies, Cover 2's simplicity is not effective in the postseason because team's already know whats coming at them and can effectively gameplan against it.

In fact, look at this past season. Every Cover 2 team choked in the playoffs. Tampa, Indy, Chicago...all choked. Indy and Chicago got rocked, while Tampa held its own, the bottomline is it didn't get a W at home against a team that wasn't as good.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:36 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
Quote:

Doesnt Penn State use the Cover 2? Thats why Zemaitis said he knows Tampa 2 good already.
UT does as well.