Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Who cares about what Clausen did or did not do in his highlight tapes. Nobody here knows exactly what they're talking about. That's why we're on a message board. I'm sick of reading, "Well Rivals said this, and Rivals said that." I don't care if they show a video of him chucking the ball 80 yards or 20 yards. The only thing I care about is if he can get under the center and be able to take the pressure of being ND's QB. And nobody can say for sure how he'll do with that. Any praise and any criticism is unnecessary at this point. The only thing we can say about Clausen is that he was the #1 recruit in all of high school football this past season. That's a mighty impressive notion. To say that Clausen is overrated and/or overhyped is an uneducated response. The experts ruled that Clausen was the best of the best. I believe what they have to say considering that they have a wealth of knowledge in scouting. And trust me, I don't think the scouts are on their computers checking out the highlight tapes on Rivals.

And for those of you who are preaching Demetrius Jones over Jimmy Clausen, make sure you choose him without your own prejudices (you're black and you're from Chicago).

Last edited by machoking6 : 05-17-2007 at 01:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,098
Reputation: -1470
ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs
Default

ND fans are absolutely ridiculous, they truly believe they will be national title contenders in 2008 and 2009 simply because of a couple of good recruiting classes.

The 06' ND team was ultra-talented and still flamed out.

All this bitching about Charlie 'not having his players', and this and that, it's garbage. He isn't even a decent coach, and he publicly makes an ass out of himself at least five times a year.

So what happens after this season is a total disappointment? The season where Charlie has all of his own players, players expected to be 3 and out, and still loses 6-7 games. Oh, you just wait till 09'.

ND and Nebraska fans are in for some pretty big surprises the next few years, because the leaders of your respected programs at this point are unscrupulous and lack the talent/coaching ability to satisfy their lofty ambitions.
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,507
Reputation: 758537
dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
And for those of you who are preaching Demetrius Jones over Jimmy Clausen, make sure you choose him without your own prejudices (you're black and you're from Chicago).
Yeah, well I am from the Suburbs of Chicago, and am white. DJ to me has shown what it takes to be ND QB.

And Told no where did i say we were title contenders. I think that we will probably have an 8ish win season because of the schedule and we will get a mid to high range bowl we probably don't deserve.
Everyone says that it's so good. But ND didn't deserve the BCS the last two years, but they have to play the best teams who are more talented and get killed. You say ultra talented, but really we had 4 quality skill positions and everywhere else we were A. overrated or B. totally outclassed(aka defense).
You need everyone to be talented as is shown by LSU, OSU, USC, Texas, of the world. Iowa really only has to get up for like 2 big games OSU and Michigan, in which they don't have to play if im correct this year. And they still won't sniff the Big Ten title. But still you pretend like your not a homer, even though you are one of the biggest on the board.
__________________

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
ND fans are absolutely ridiculous, they truly believe they will be national title contenders in 2008 and 2009 simply because of a couple of good recruiting classes.

The 06' ND team was ultra-talented and still flamed out.

All this bitching about Charlie 'not having his players', and this and that, it's garbage. He isn't even a decent coach, and he publicly makes an ass out of himself at least five times a year.

So what happens after this season is a total disappointment? The season where Charlie has all of his own players, players expected to be 3 and out, and still loses 6-7 games. Oh, you just wait till 09'.

ND and Nebraska fans are in for some pretty big surprises the next few years, because the leaders of your respected programs at this point are unscrupulous and lack the talent/coaching ability to satisfy their lofty ambitions.

Glad someone came out and said it. It's utterly ridiculous what ND fans expect of their team. They assume every 5 star recruit will pan out. For a good laugh, check out ESPN's ND board. These guys are talking about 10-2, 11-1 with them thinking they have a shot to beat SC and Michigan. They have absolutely zero chance of winning either of those games and they have zero chance at another BCS bowl. Good call on the "Why did Florida jump us in the rankings while eating cheeseburgers " there Charlie, dead on accurate with that one. Their defense is still atrocious and they lost their QB, 2 WR, RB and they expect to be better? Reallllllllllllllllly realistic
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
ND fans are absolutely ridiculous, they truly believe they will be national title contenders in 2008 and 2009 simply because of a couple of good recruiting classes.

The 06' ND team was ultra-talented and still flamed out.

All this bitching about Charlie 'not having his players', and this and that, it's garbage. He isn't even a decent coach, and he publicly makes an ass out of himself at least five times a year.

So what happens after this season is a total disappointment? The season where Charlie has all of his own players, players expected to be 3 and out, and still loses 6-7 games. Oh, you just wait till 09'.

ND and Nebraska fans are in for some pretty big surprises the next few years, because the leaders of your respected programs at this point are unscrupulous and lack the talent/coaching ability to satisfy their lofty ambitions.
Someone must hate ND. What a surprise.

I don't know too many ND fans who are anticipating a national championship. For those who are, they must be the "fans" who watch ND because A)ND is on TV every week B)they're irish or C)their favorite movie is Rudy. As an ND fan, I do expect them to do well. As far as your prediction of 6-7 losses, that's just unreasonable and it's ashame you base such a lofty prediction off of your hatred for another team. I hate USC and Michigan, but I'm not going to make these irrational comments saying they're going to lose 3-4 games this year. Be reasonable.

Say what you will about the 06 team, they were too overhyped because of Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardjiza's previous season. The defense was still awful, and that's why they didn't do as good as anticipated. It's hard to win games when one's defense is letting up 40+ points a game.

As far as saying Charlie Weis isn't a decent coach is probably the most absurd statement you made throughout your terrible post. Once again, you're making comments with your heart and not your brain. In his two seasons as head coach he's been to two BCS bowls. They got smoked in both and that's all good and well, but he got to that point. And one can put up the argument that ND always gets the BCS bid because of their name. However, ND must finish within the top 10-13 (I'm not entirely sure which number) in the BCS. That's not an easy thing to do, and Charlie has accomplished that feat not once, but twice. Give credit where credit is due.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
Yeah, well I am from the Suburbs of Chicago, and am white. DJ to me has shown what it takes to be ND QB.
Surprise, surprise. Someone from Chicago wants Demetrius Jones to win the QB job at ND. That's cool man, but you got to be able to expand your horizons beyond the city of Chicago. If Jones gets it, then it's because he's earned it. If Clausen gets it, then that means he's earned it. Same goes with Sharpley and Frazier.

To say that DJ has shown you what it takes to be the ND QB is rather odd. Did I miss something, or did DJ get snaps on the field last year? I didn't see it, but then again, maybe I missed it. Could you tell from the small number of throws that he took at the Blue/Gold game? Or are you basing this "DJ has shown what it takes to be ND QB" comment off of some high school game you saw? Or some high school tape that they show on local television? There has been nothing that anyone has seen which constitutes Jones or Clausen being better suited for QB. Not even Charlie Weis. If he knew this then we wouldn't have to be awaiting his announcement of the 2 QB race. Be fair and get your head out of the Chicago clouds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
Someone must hate ND. What a surprise.

I don't know too many ND fans who are anticipating a national championship. For those who are, they must be the "fans" who watch ND because A)ND is on TV every week B)they're irish or C)their favorite movie is Rudy. As an ND fan, I do expect them to do well. As far as your prediction of 6-7 losses, that's just unreasonable and it's ashame you base such a lofty prediction off of your hatred for another team. I hate USC and Michigan, but I'm not going to make these irrational comments saying they're going to lose 3-4 games this year. Be reasonable.

Say what you will about the 06 team, they were too overhyped because of Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardjiza's previous season. The defense was still awful, and that's why they didn't do as good as anticipated. It's hard to win games when one's defense is letting up 40+ points a game.

As far as saying Charlie Weis isn't a decent coach is probably the most absurd statement you made throughout your terrible post. Once again, you're making comments with your heart and not your brain. In his two seasons as head coach he's been to two BCS bowls. They got smoked in both and that's all good and well, but he got to that point. And one can put up the argument that ND always gets the BCS bid because of their name. However, ND must finish within the top 10-13 (I'm not entirely sure which number) in the BCS. That's not an easy thing to do, and Charlie has accomplished that feat not once, but twice. Give credit where credit is due.
Hard to do? You had to win 9 games. Beat all 3 Armed Forces team and you're 33% there. ND does get there because of their name. If they're supposed to be ranked 15-18, NBC plays Rudy a couple of times and the voters bump them up to 10-13. Give me a break. ND has beaten no one good since Weis has been there. The only team that was highly ranked was #3 Michigan in 05, a team that fell flat on their face and finished 7-5. Other than that, who have they beaten? More importantly, other than the Bush Push game, they haven't even sniffed victory, losing by an average of almost 22 points.

Here's my ND prediction

Vs. Georgia Tech=Win
@ Penn State= Loss
@ Michigan=Loss
Vs. Michigan State= Probably a win, but Sparty always gives them fits
@ Purdue= Win
@ UCLA= Loss
Vs. Boston College= Loss
Vs. USC =Loss even with a 20 point head start
Vs. Navy= Annual Win
Vs. Air Force= Win
Vs. Duke=Win
@ Stanford= Win

7-5. BC game could be a toss-up.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Hard to do? You had to win 9 games. Beat all 3 Armed Forces team and you're 33% there. ND does get there because of their name. If they're supposed to be ranked 15-18, NBC plays Rudy a couple of times and the voters bump them up to 10-13. Give me a break. ND has beaten no one good since Weis has been there. The only team that was highly ranked was #3 Michigan in 05, a team that fell flat on their face and finished 7-5. Other than that, who have they beaten? More importantly, other than the Bush Push game, they haven't even sniffed victory, losing by an average of almost 22 points.

Here's my ND prediction

Vs. Georgia Tech=Win
@ Penn State= Loss
@ Michigan=Loss
Vs. Michigan State= Probably a win, but Sparty always gives them fits
@ Purdue= Win
@ UCLA= Loss
Vs. Boston College= Loss
Vs. USC =Loss even with a 20 point head start
Vs. Navy= Annual Win
Vs. Air Force= Win
Vs. Duke=Win
@ Stanford= Win

7-5. BC game could be a toss-up.
Having to play Army, Navy, and Air Force was atrocious. That was the first time in a while that they played all three of those schools in one season. But everyone has their share of awful matchups. Michigan played Central Michigan, Ball St. and Vanderbilt last season. And that's on top of the terrible Big 10 teams they had to play (Minnesota, Northerwestern, and Indiana). Ditto Ohio St. who got to play Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, and Cincinatti on top of Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, and Northwestern. The national champions, Florida, played Central Florida and Western Carolina. Those two teams, combined with Southern Miss, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, gives them more than enough cake games. Everybody has that schedule. It's just the way it goes.

Saying ND is ranked 15-18, then NBC plays Rudy, so the voters bump them up to 10-13 is a very uneducated statement. And it's also very lame. If you're going to go for the comedic factor then you got to raise your game Jerry Seinfeld.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
JCarver27
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 265
Reputation: 42
JCarver27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
ND fans are absolutely ridiculous, they truly believe they will be national title contenders in 2008 and 2009 simply because of a couple of good recruiting classes.

The 06' ND team was ultra-talented and still flamed out.

All this bitching about Charlie 'not having his players', and this and that, it's garbage. He isn't even a decent coach, and he publicly makes an ass out of himself at least five times a year.

So what happens after this season is a total disappointment? The season where Charlie has all of his own players, players expected to be 3 and out, and still loses 6-7 games. Oh, you just wait till 09'.

ND and Nebraska fans are in for some pretty big surprises the next few years, because the leaders of your respected programs at this point are unscrupulous and lack the talent/coaching ability to satisfy their lofty ambitions.
holy crap. i couldn't endorse this anymore if i tried.
JCarver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
reese
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
Who cares about what Clausen did or did not do in his highlight tapes. Nobody here knows exactly what they're talking about. That's why we're on a message board. I'm sick of reading, "Well Rivals said this, and Rivals said that." I don't care if they show a video of him chucking the ball 80 yards or 20 yards. The only thing I care about is if he can get under the center and be able to take the pressure of being ND's QB. And nobody can say for sure how he'll do with that. Any praise and any criticism is unnecessary at this point. The only thing we can say about Clausen is that he was the #1 recruit in all of high school football this past season. That's a mighty impressive notion. To say that Clausen is overrated and/or overhyped is an uneducated response. The experts ruled that Clausen was the best of the best. I believe what they have to say considering that they have a wealth of knowledge in scouting. And trust me, I don't think the scouts are on their computers checking out the highlight tapes on Rivals.

And for those of you who are preaching Demetrius Jones over Jimmy Clausen, make sure you choose him without your own prejudices (you're black and you're from Chicago).

u must not get the point of a football message board....thats what its here for...for ppl to discuss and exchange opinions on whats goin on in sports so if we wanna talk about if clausen is gonna be good or bad or overrated or whatever we wanna say then this is the place to do it if u dont like it then dont read the post
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
HuskerNation
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 266
Reputation: -61
HuskerNation needs more cowbell.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
ND fans are absolutely ridiculous, they truly believe they will be national title contenders in 2008 and 2009 simply because of a couple of good recruiting classes.

The 06' ND team was ultra-talented and still flamed out.

All this bitching about Charlie 'not having his players', and this and that, it's garbage. He isn't even a decent coach, and he publicly makes an ass out of himself at least five times a year.

So what happens after this season is a total disappointment? The season where Charlie has all of his own players, players expected to be 3 and out, and still loses 6-7 games. Oh, you just wait till 09'.

ND and Nebraska fans are in for some pretty big surprises the next few years, because the leaders of your respected programs at this point are unscrupulous and lack the talent/coaching ability to satisfy their lofty ambitions.
Nebraska has been on it's way up ever since Solich left, and there's no reason to think it won't continue. Callahan brings in top flight prospects every year.
__________________
Do not weep for those lost on 4-16-07 for they are in a better place than those left behind who mourn them. God is Love.
HuskerNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
u must not get the point of a football message board....thats what its here for...for ppl to discuss and exchange opinions on whats goin on in sports so if we wanna talk about if clausen is gonna be good or bad or overrated or whatever we wanna say then this is the place to do it if u dont like it then dont read the post
I'm all for DISCUSSING and EXCHANGING opinions. I enjoy that, and a lot of other people do as well. But I'm not for one person badgering another person on what they think is right and what they think is wrong. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. But it crosses a line when one person (ND haters/ND homers) is so stubborn in their rigid opinions that they're not willing to bend. There is no DISCUSSION, just arguing over something as stupid as whether or not a player that has yet to play a college snap will be a good QB or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
reese
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

i was tryin to make discussion y ppl think he will be good or not...i havent seen anything to say he will be good so i asked if anyone else had
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,507
Reputation: 758537
dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
Surprise, surprise. Someone from Chicago wants Demetrius Jones to win the QB job at ND.
I didn't even see him play that much high school ball at all. I know he is talented, and HIS PERSONALITY is what I believe will make him successful. Jimmy Clausen has always seemed arrogant. Jones acts like a leader and talks like one in every interview he has ever given.

Those are the attributes I look for. A playermaker is not always a guy who is a phenomenal athlete, however, he is a guy who has the attitude that he is going to make the play. You still see this with Brett Favre, a man I hate, he does not have the athletic skills to get something done but he does it because he is a playmaker.

I think you believe since I am a Chicago native that I believe every chicagoan is better than other players. I'm not dull, the So Cal area is where the best football players come from, but considering you believe that everyone is bias then I must be as well.
__________________

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I didn't even see him play that much high school ball at all. I know he is talented, and HIS PERSONALITY is what I believe will make him successful. Jimmy Clausen has always seemed arrogant. Jones acts like a leader and talks like one in every interview he has ever given.

Those are the attributes I look for. A playermaker is not always a guy who is a phenomenal athlete, however, he is a guy who has the attitude that he is going to make the play. You still see this with Brett Favre, a man I hate, he does not have the athletic skills to get something done but he does it because he is a playmaker.

I think you believe since I am a Chicago native that I believe every chicagoan is better than other players. I'm not dull, the So Cal area is where the best football players come from, but considering you believe that everyone is bias then I must be as well.
I'm not doubting his talent. I'm not doubting that he's better than Clausen. On that same token, I'm not doubting that Clausen is better than him. Personally, I really hope it's one of the two who gets the starting nod. But I'm not jumping to any conclusions by saying one of them is better than the other because there is no proof of that yet.

I want ND's next starting QB to be someone who is good and will be great. I want someone who will digest the playbook and will be able to run the offense efficiently. I don't know who that will be yet. Nobody does, so we'll have to wait til the summer. But I don't care if the new QB is a pompous jerk, or someone who is well spoken in interviews. If he wins ball games, then that's all I care about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
Having to play Army, Navy, and Air Force was atrocious. That was the first time in a while that they played all three of those schools in one season. But everyone has their share of awful matchups. Michigan played Central Michigan, Ball St. and Vanderbilt last season. And that's on top of the terrible Big 10 teams they had to play (Minnesota, Northerwestern, and Indiana). Ditto Ohio St. who got to play Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, and Cincinatti on top of Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, and Northwestern. The national champions, Florida, played Central Florida and Western Carolina. Those two teams, combined with Southern Miss, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, gives them more than enough cake games. Everybody has that schedule. It's just the way it goes.

Saying ND is ranked 15-18, then NBC plays Rudy, so the voters bump them up to 10-13 is a very uneducated statement. And it's also very lame. If you're going to go for the comedic factor then you got to raise your game Jerry Seinfeld.
OK I'm a Michigan fan. I'm not even gonna try to defend the Ball State game. Vandy was an SEC team. If you're gonna schedule a cupcake, at least make it an SEC team. CMU I guess is a geographic rival, but also pretty tough to excuse. Can't do anything about the conference games though. You're locked into a conference you have to play those teams. ND, on the other hand, gets to pick every team they play. SC and Michigan are major rivalries and I suppose Navy and MSU are "semi-rivals". (I say semi because Navy is 0-38 or something in the past 40 years). Seriously though, all 3 service academies? Might as well ask the Marines to get a team too.

Your point about schedules is accurate, I won't argue with you. But your BCS game point doesn't exactly mean much when you're losing 34-20 and 41-17. Oddly enough, you don't comment on the results vs. ranked teams point (OSU, USC, UM, LSU)
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
machoking6
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
OK I'm a Michigan fan. I'm not even gonna try to defend the Ball State game. Vandy was an SEC team. If you're gonna schedule a cupcake, at least make it an SEC team. CMU I guess is a geographic rival, but also pretty tough to excuse. Can't do anything about the conference games though. You're locked into a conference you have to play those teams. ND, on the other hand, gets to pick every team they play. SC and Michigan are major rivalries and I suppose Navy and MSU are "semi-rivals". (I say semi because Navy is 0-38 or something in the past 40 years). Seriously though, all 3 service academies? Might as well ask the Marines to get a team too.

Your point about schedules is accurate, I won't argue with you. But your BCS game point doesn't exactly mean much when you're losing 34-20 and 41-17. Oddly enough, you don't comment on the results vs. ranked teams point (OSU, USC, UM, LSU)
Everyone hates on Notre Dame for their schedule, but a majority of the games they play are deemed rivalries. Some of these rivalries are big, some of them small. USC, Michigan, and Michigan St. are all big rivalries, and those should not be questioned. Purdue is another team they play year in and year out because they are in-state foes. Navy is another one they always play and it's considered to be a rivalry because of what you said about Navy never beating ND. BC is a rivalry I consider, but I guess opinions vary. They are another catholic college filled with guys who wanted to go to ND, but couldn't. And thus, they have ND's number. Stanford is a team that they have always played as far as I can remember. And Army, as bad as they are, have some kind of rivalry with ND dating back to the Knute Rockne era. My point with all this is that a good majority of all their games have some sort of significance behind it. When they do schedule games with teams they never play, they schedule them with very good teams. For instance, last year and this year they have Georgia Tech and Penn St. They also have UCLA, but I'm not going to say they are very good. But, in all fairness, they are good (a lot better than Vanderbilt, Ball St., or Central Michigan). I remember several years ago ND and Michigan decided to take one another off each other's schedule for 2 years. ND picked up Nebraska. Those were the Eric Crouch/National Champion contender days. Michigan picked up Rice. Michigan is locked into it's conference and I understand that. But you gotta understand the history of such games like Navy, Army, Stanford, and Purdue for ND.

ND making it to BCS bowls has a lot to do with the fact that they are ND. As long as they are in the top 13 of the BCS, they will most likely get picked. But that's because ND produces money. And until a playoff system ensues, it'll always be that way. They generate money and in the end, these big sponsors who represent the Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, and Rose Bowls will always want ND because of the fanfare that will pay to see them. But ND MUST be in the top 13 of the BCS rankings. They get to that point by winning in the season. The sponsors of the BCS bowls have no impact on what ND does during the regular season. You can argue that they get in that top 13 through easy wins, but Michigan has just as many easy games, if not more, as ND.

Finally, you mention how I'm ducking the point that ND has gotten smoked by the ranked opponents. Quite frankly, that's because I don't dwell on the past. I never turn back...I'm always looking forward. In my opinion, either you're the national champion or you're not. ND is not and thus, I look towards next season. If I really wanted to dwell on the past, then I could mention how ND has beaten Michigan 3 out of the past 5 years. But it doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is what happenes starting September 1st when Georgia Tech comes to South Bend.

Last edited by machoking6 : 05-18-2007 at 10:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,507
Reputation: 758537
dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
I'm not doubting his talent. I'm not doubting that he's better than Clausen. On that same token, I'm not doubting that Clausen is better than him. Personally, I really hope it's one of the two who gets the starting nod. But I'm not jumping to any conclusions by saying one of them is better than the other because there is no proof of that yet.

I want ND's next starting QB to be someone who is good and will be great. I want someone who will digest the playbook and will be able to run the offense efficiently. I don't know who that will be yet. Nobody does, so we'll have to wait til the summer. But I don't care if the new QB is a pompous jerk, or someone who is well spoken in interviews. If he wins ball games, then that's all I care about.
Okay, it's not like I was saying that DJ will be the QB. It's just the guy I want and believe to be the best. Obviously I am not talking about anything with real evidence. Just that gut feeling I get.

Irish.
__________________

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.