Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Brown wants to be traded

Saw it on the bottom of ESPN. Good De. What do you guysd think?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/10184941

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this has been rumored for some time now
Old 05-17-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

This isn't really new news. I'd take him if the price was right, but I think that he benefited a lot from the people around him. Plus he just seems like Andre Carter V2. We really need a nice big chunky DLmen to help take up space.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's highly unlikely he'll be traded, and if you read the article he realizes that (and fawns excessively about how he would be happy staying with the Bears). He really has no leverage so he'd only be traded if the price was right, and I don't think with him wanting a new contract the FO will find an offer they like.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Things are only going to get worse in Chicago because of how penny-pinching the front office is. Players will become more disgruntled and disenfranchised, free agents are already being told not to come in by players in the locker room, etcetera.

It's a good thing the Bears didn't have trade for the 6th overall pick, or there would be a long hold-out just as there was with Cedric Benson in 2005.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Things are only going to get worse in Chicago because of how penny-pinching the front office is. Players will become more disgruntled and disenfranchised, free agents are already being told not to come in by players in the locker room, etcetera.

It's a good thing the Bears didn't have trade for the 6th overall pick, or there would be a long hold-out just as there was with Cedric Benson in 2005.
There's absolutely nothing to substantiate the rumors that players were saying that. I saw that nowhere outside of PFT and 80-90% of their stuff is completely made up. Not to mention that the Bears actually spent a fair amount of money in taking on Archuleta, signing Anthony Adams, and resigning Rueben Brown. Not to mention giving the whole coaching staff new contracts.

As for players being disgruntled, Brown isn't disgruntled. Read his comments. Briggs is the only one making a huge piss, and that happens quite frequently when players are franchised.

This is the result of having a championship team, players are going to want more money, nothing more than that. The Bears are in the top half of the league for payroll. The stereotype that they are cheap is just that.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

see: asante samuel...

but. brown's not going anywhere. no one is going to pay him what he wants.
and he'll be getting plenty of reps, he's a good end. and should probably look better this year.

then he might have some leveraging.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The players have to much power and control nowadays, let him get traded to a terrible team please
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Brown a lot and he has gone about this the right way by keeping it respectful and low key. The writing was on the wall that Mark Anderson could supplant him if he didn't up his produciton. It upsets me that when he feels Anderson breathing down his neck he tries to get a trade instead of working harder to keep his starting job.

He was the kind of player that could look like the DPOY for one game and then completely absent the rest. Tampa Bay in 2005 he was all over the field.

The penny-pinching comment is very much based on a media creation. If you look at the signings of Ricky Manning Jr., Brian Griese, Mushin Muhammed, Thomas Jones, and John Tait you'll see that they actually overpay for the guy they really want rather than settle for next best guy.

One thing that people fail to realize about the Bears recent personal decisions is that you have to put Tommie Harris into the context of everything. He's a unique talent that is going to demand a large contract after this year and the Bears aren't going to miss out on signing him just to sign some players who are all just roleplayers in comparison to him.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont see why he would go anywhere.... its not like another team will give him another contract because he still has 3 years left... plus he is playing well for a contender.... not sure why you would want to ruin that opportunity

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpigskin View Post
i dont see why he would go anywhere.... its not like another team will give him another contract because he still has 3 years left... plus he is playing well for a contender.... not sure why you would want to ruin that opportunity
Because Mark Anderson is going to take his starting spot. He's going to talk about a new contract but the new contract is just a euphamism for him wanting to see how much the Bears still value him, which isn't as much as they did two years ago before they had Anderson and Bazuin.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
There's absolutely nothing to substantiate the rumors that players were saying that. I saw that nowhere outside of PFT and 80-90% of their stuff is completely made up. Not to mention that the Bears actually spent a fair amount of money in taking on Archuleta, signing Anthony Adams, and resigning Rueben Brown. Not to mention giving the whole coaching staff new contracts.
Per rotoworld:

Archuleta:
(3/20/2007) Signed a three-year, $8.1 million contract. The deal includes $5 million guaranteed.

Adams:
(3/25/2007) Signed a four-year contract. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus.

Brown:
(3/26/2007) Signed a one-year, $2.2 million contract.

Considering Brown and Archuleta are 16-game starters, and Adams will be a considerable part of the rotation at tackle, there's nothing there that proves your point. Not to mention the signing of Archuleta will force the injury-prone Mike Brown to either restructure his contract or be cut outright.

Quote:
This is the result of having a championship team, players are going to want more money, nothing more than that. The Bears are in the top half of the league for payroll. The stereotype that they are cheap is just that.
19th doesn't qualify as top half of the league, last I checked.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Because Mark Anderson is going to take his starting spot. He's going to talk about a new contract but the new contract is just a euphamism for him wanting to see how much the Bears still value him, which isn't as much as they did two years ago before they had Anderson and Bazuin.
true, but i feel Brown is more valuable than Ogunleye, but that might just be me... Brown is younger and i think cheaper... tell me if im wrong

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Larry Mayer on the official Bears site.

Larry: Last night on NFL Network, I heard Alex Brown talking to Sirius Radio about asking the Bears for permission to seek a trade. Is this true and why?

Nivaldo R.
Chicago

Nivaldo: Yes, Alex Brown has asked for and received permission to seek a trade. But it’s not a situation where he’s demanding a new deal or threatening to sit out. He still has three years remaining on the contract extension he signed in 2004 and apparently just wants to see if there’s another team out there that’s willing to give him a new deal. I suspect that he probably is also concerned about losing some playing time after Mark Anderson’s breakout rookie season last year. Here’s what Brown said during the radio interview you alluded to: “We’re just trying to see what’s out there. That’s what we’re trying to do. It’s not the Bears. They don’t want to get rid of me. It’s just that I want to see what else is out there. I think I’m a very good guy. It’s just sometimes you kind of want to test to see if there’s something else out there for you.

“I just want to let everybody know there’s nothing wrong with me. I really, really enjoy where I’m at. I love the city of Chicago. I love the team. It’s just that opportunities come up and if I’m able to get an opportunity somewhere else that would be fine. I definitely love playing here and if I’m playing here next year I’ll give it everything I’ve got just like I always do.

“If nothing happens and I’m on the same contract that I’m on I’m going to play football because that’s what I love doing. I love playing football and I just can’t see myself sitting down or sitting out or something like that because of a contract. No way. I’m going to play. That’s what I do. I’m going to go play. I love football. I wouldn’t want to give it up. I’m 27. I feel great. I’m anticipating having my best year of my career. No way I’d sit out. Not me.”

Sounds pretty disgruntled and disenfranchised to me.

Last edited by SFbear : 05-17-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Per rotoworld:

Archuleta:
(3/20/2007) Signed a three-year, $8.1 million contract. The deal includes $5 million guaranteed.

Adams:
(3/25/2007) Signed a four-year contract. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus.

Brown:

Considering Brown and Archuleta are 16-game starters, and Adams will be a considerable part of the rotation at tackle, there's nothing there that proves your point. Not to mention the signing of Archuleta will force the injury-prone Mike Brown to either restructure his contract or be cut outright.

19th
doesn't qualify as top half of the league, last I checked.
Mike Brown isn't going anywhere. They'll talk about restructuring his contract but he's not going to get cut.

Regardless of the rest of it, you've yet to effectively make a case that "things are only going to get worse". Brown is going to show up and play if there is no value out there to trade him for. Thomas Jones was traded because they had to start Benson. The only player of concern is Briggs. If he doesn't show up that will be a blow, but I think when given the choice between 7.2 million or nothing he will cave.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Per rotoworld:

Archuleta:

Adams:

Brown:

19th doesn't qualify as top half of the league, last I checked.
Archuleta is going to be PAID to play? ha

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Theres no way Chicago should release Brown simply because Archuleta is there. You shouldn't rely on a guy who was dreadful last year when you already have a very good player. Injury prone or not.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
supermario86
Rookie

supermario86 needs more cowbell.

He would be welcome on the lions :)
Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

They need to try to trade Ogunleye, he's the overpaid one. Alex Brown is their best Defensive End. They just want Anderson rushing from the Weakside, the problem is that's where Brown is. They really need to do something with Ogunleye, he hasn't lived up to the contract.

Ogunleye-
04: 12 games 37 tackles 5 sacks 3 FF
05: 15 games 40 tackles 10 sacks 1 FF
06: 14 games 43 tackles 6.5 sacks 1 FF

Brown-
04:16 games 50 tackles 6 sacks 2 FF
05:16 games 45 tackles 6 sacks 3 FF
06:16 games 46 tackles 7 sacks 3 FF 2 INT

As you can see, Brown is a more healthy player (16 games each year), better against the run even playing on the weak side (tackles), and a bigger play maker. 2.5 less sacks overall, but the only year Ogunleye beat Brown in sacks was 05. And, Ogunleye is paid more, I think 5 mill a year. 2 years older also. Doesn't make sense to shop Brown. Shop Ogunleye, re-structure his deal or cut him on June 1st.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
They need to try to trade Ogunleye, he's the overpaid one. Alex Brown is their best Defensive End. They just want Anderson rushing from the Weakside, the problem is that's where Brown is. They really need to do something with Ogunleye, he hasn't lived up to the contract.

Ogunleye-
04: 12 games 37 tackles 5 sacks 3 FF
05: 15 games 40 tackles 10 sacks 1 FF
06: 14 games 43 tackles 6.5 sacks 1 FF

Brown-
04:16 games 50 tackles 6 sacks 2 FF
05:16 games 45 tackles 6 sacks 3 FF
06:16 games 46 tackles 7 sacks 3 FF 2 INT

As you can see, Brown is a more healthy player (16 games each year), better against the run even playing on the weak side (tackles), and a bigger play maker. 2.5 less sacks overall, but the only year Ogunleye beat Brown in sacks was 05. And, Ogunleye is paid more, I think 5 mill a year. 2 years older also. Doesn't make sense to shop Brown. Shop Ogunleye, re-structure his deal or cut him on June 1st.
I completely agree that Ogunleye has not been living up to his contract and in a perfect world he would have been kicked to the curb but his cap hit would be too big so he gets to sit pretty.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm a big fan of Alex Brown. I think he should stay and make ther best of his situation, he puts up good stats. Overall I thought he has a good attitude, he just wants more money because Ogunleye getting the big bucks.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

No he wants more money because he has no job security right now.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still can't believe that the Bears didn't take the lance briggs trade though.

The Bears are set at DE. They have all the leverage in the world. They could care less what Alex Brown says.