Illinois 9 16.07%
Boise State 2 3.57%
Missouri 3 5.36%
Other(Please specify) 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Why do fans of teams from other conferences feel a need to bash on the Big East?

By any computer measurement in 2006, the Big East was the second best conference. They won most of their OOC games. What more do you want? Certain teams like Rutgers need to beef up the schedule in the future, but that's happening with Notre Dame etc... getting put on the schedule.
I want to wait and see when the Big East doesn't play a sissy bowl schedule. Rutgers v. K-State. West Virginia v. Ga Tech (showed off the Mountaineers great D prowess against a great offense). Louisville v. Wake Forest. South Florida v. East Carolina. C'mon....those are tailor made victorious. The bowl committees certainly didn't believe they would have competitive games unless they matched them up against much lower ranked opponents.

Quote:
Any of the "they haven't beaten anybody" arguments fail to hold water. Who did the ACC beat in 2006? Who did the Big XII beat? Wisconsin played one of the easiest schedules in the country, no one's questioning them.
Wisconsin beat Arkansas. That's better than any win the big east had out of conference. Also beat what turned out to be a pretty good Penn State team, considering they beat Tennessee in their bowl. Wisconsin also has proven themselves over years in a major conference. Beat Auburn and Michigan the year before. Won 3 straight games at Columbus against OSU and 4 of 6. Winning record against PSU since they joined the conference. 9-3 or whatever in bowl games. 3 big ten championships in 14 years. 3 major bowl wins in 14 years. We've proven it for years and proven it against teams who've proven it. Please don't compare the big east or Rutgers to Wisconsin.

Quote:
Which team changed "overnight"? Rutgers for one last year depended heavily on contributions from its upperclassmen that had to live through a painful rebuilding. It went from 5 to 7 to 11 wins. Did it get a few lucky bounces in 2006? Probably, but it's not going away.
Errrrrr......Rutgers, Cincy, South Florida. South Florida was 4-7 in a mid major conference before they joined the big east. Cincy was an average C-USA team. Rutgers went from 4-7 (1-5) in the old big east to 7-5 (4-3) in the new big east. They all recruited like mid major schools (including Rutgers), yet all of a sudden they have major caliber players because they realigned their conference? West Virginia went from pretty good major team to great major team, immediately upon joining the big east. They've always had a good offensive system and players like Amos Z., Cobourne and athletic QB's. Nothing has changed really. It didn't elevate them to elite status in the past though. I'll give it to them, in 2005, they had a good win over Georgia. They won the occasional big game in the past too. But play 8-9 games a year in the SEC and Big Ten, and their lack of defense would be exposed. Those conferences actually have teams who play BOTH offense AND defense.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.

What control did the Big East have over the bids? They were re-aligned after the ACC defections. They can't be changed for a couple of years.

My argument was about 2006 and only 2006. What does anything else matter? Hey, Rutgers won the first football game ever, guess that means I can infer that they will go undefeated.

I'll compare to Wisconsin all I want. They played a horrific schedule. No Ohio State. Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego State, and Buffalo were easily the worst OOC schedule in the country, inexcusable with no OSU on the schedule. Wisconsin only played three teams that were any good in 2006.

Rutgers's schedule actually got harder in 2005/2006 than in 2004 (after Miami and VT left, before the new additions joined). Do you think adding Louisville was responsible for gaining 7 wins from 2004? And they were not recruiting like a mid major. If you go back to 2002, Schiano had started pulling in the occasional **** player, and it got better every year. THAT is what explains the improved play.

Cincy was terrible its first year in the Big East, much worse than they had been in 2004. However, they were really young, and they used that experience to be much better in 2006. Same for USF, they had several winning seasons in C-USA before a rebuilding season their last year there.

West Virginia was a top program in the Major Harris days, long before they joined the Big East.

8-9 games a year vs. the SEC or Big Ten? You don't play Florida or Michigan every game. Those conferences are better at the top, but they're actually much worse as the bottom. Northwestern and Vanderbilt are just as much in those conferences.

In conclusion, you've shown you're not familiar with the Big East programs at all, and your argument clearly confuses correlation with causation.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Will Hill has always said he just wants to go far away from home. My high schools QB is transfering to Hill's school and said the Will has just always wanted to get away from home, which is understandable. I also think that kid maybe trouble.
I am Rutgers fan as well, and remember the days when we sucked soooooooooo badly. I still liked watching those games because at that point I found it funny that my HS games seemed to have more people in the stands.

But I think the future is good, but we need some more good seasons before recruits stay at home regularly. Getting Davis and Abreu was huge for us, and I doubt Hill would stay home, but if we can get Frost and other guys, I think Coach S. can do his thing. Remember it's not like we became good by recruiting top notch players. We recruited 3 star and 2 star guys and they worked out well for us.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also Rutgers already has two 4 star recruits for next year. 5 years ago Rutgers would not be on anyone's recruiting list nevermind getting two verbals this early in the process. Kids are starting to want to go there and with all the talent in New Jersey it's going to be good for the school and the state. Rutgers has everything it needs to become a semi powerhouse.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
jbooshey
Rookie

jbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Wisconsin played one of the easiest schedules in the country, no one's questioning them.
You must not have been paying attention...EVERYONE was question Wisconsin's legitimacy because of their schedule.
jbooshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Also Rutgers already has two 4 star recruits for next year. 5 years ago Rutgers would not be on anyone's recruiting list nevermind getting two verbals this early in the process. Kids are starting to want to go there and with all the talent in New Jersey it's going to be good for the school and the state. Rutgers has everything it needs to become a semi powerhouse.
Yeah kids are wanting to come, but I am still waiting for the day that we can keep the Will Hills, and Rolles in state. That would be such a great day or time period! If we can limit the efforts of USC, ND, BC and other schools in being successful in picking top talent from Jersey I think that would be a great thing.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
CC
Veteran

CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Will Hill has always said he just wants to go far away from home. My high schools QB is transfering to Hill's school and said the Will has just always wanted to get away from home, which is understandable. I also think that kid maybe trouble.
I don't know, sounds like he at least has some semblance of intelligence as he knows well enough to get the hell out of New Jersey.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I don't know, sounds like he at least has some semblance of intelligence as he knows well enough to get the hell out of New Jersey.
actually, he has family issues, and he's a trouble maker. I for one am happy he's not going to Rutgers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

before i vote.. i need to know where louisville stands. are they a power? where does louisville stand?
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidrunner View Post
before i vote.. i need to know where louisville stands. are they a power? where does louisville stand?
I would say there just kinda there... not really moving up or down IMO... by the way nice responces to the thread keep it up

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
New Jersey is a lot nicer than Michigan. It's also the wealthiest state.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I'll try and be different and say ASU.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Whoever takes over for Ron Zook in 2-3 years is going to have a talented team. When that guy "weeds" out all the knuckleheads, gets the players in shape, and teaches them how to win, they'll contend for the Big 10.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Zook made a championship caliber team down in UF, too bad he couldn't coach it. Zook's gonna make another championship caliber team at Illinois, who cares if he won't be there for the championship, some dude like Urban Meyer will just come around and coach it for them. Illinois is gonna be a scary team in a year or two(if Zook learns to coach if not, when he's fired)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
miketomczak

Is it really true that Ron Zook can't coach? Maybe he should have been given a few more years at Florida? Maybe people should give him one more chance. If Illinois still sucks in three years then ok, until then give the guy a break...

also, sure, the big east isn't that great, but i don't remember people saying that about the acc in the past. before Miami and Va Tech came the only powerhouse/consistent team was Florida St. everyone was else was pretty horrible. at least the big east has a few decent schools.

and finally, can we consider Pitt as an ascending team? their past few recruiting classes have been good. or is Wannedstat just another Zook?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Well i envy the coach that will get that team... they are gonna have some serious talent down there... im looking forward to watching juice to benn

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
CW99
Rookie

CW99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hawaii is on an up swing

but i feel Maryland is falling may just be me though