Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:53 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psub10champs
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Ward is a very good player but he isn't an amazing receiver. He is pretty good, but he isn't a top reciever. An argument could be made for CJ as the best WR in the NFL, Ward definately doesn't.
how???? ru kidding. He is the alltime leader in steelers receptions, and he did it in 6 years. He blocks better than any WR, he has excellent hands, he has good speed, he is good at everything. God, please, list why he is overrated, don't just say it
I think Keyshawn is just as good.

I think I would take Ward, I just like his style of play better, IMO he is a more versatile WR. (not talking about throwing)
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For my money, Anquan Boldin is a younger, better version of Ward. He just doesn't have the complete resume that Ward does yet because of age.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not even close, hard to match CJ in EVERY aspect of the WR position that he possess...

speed
agility
hands
quickness

he is top 5 in the NFL at every one, i cant say the same about ward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
not even close, hard to match CJ in EVERY aspect of the WR position that he possess...

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Yea blocking, leadership, toughness, and intelligence really don't matter either.

Hines Ward is in the top 5 in those categories....

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman253
Well Psub, i think its safe to say i have won this arguement
whatever, I said I'd rather have Ward and I still would. I don't care what the poll says, your being a doosh for posting this argument on a forum anyway
We'd all rather have Ward. 8)
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34
Quote:

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Yea blocking, leadership, toughness, and intelligence really don't matter either.

Hines Ward is in the top 5 in those categories....
yea and CJ has no leadership or toughness for the bengals :roll:

granted ward is hands down the best blocker and most physical in that aspect of the game, but i said overall every category i have CJ ranked higher, Ward excells in the steelers system and CJ is great for his system, but stacked up CJ ranks higher almost every time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Quote:
whatever, I said I'd rather have Ward and I still would. I don't care what the poll says, your being a doosh for posting this argument on a forum anyway
We'd all rather have Ward. 8)

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To build a team around Id take Ward for his completeness as a receiver. For a big play receiver Id take CJ hands down.
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i don't know that CJ has better hands. what makes you say that?
I haven't seen him do anything to make me think he wouldn't however neither has Ward. I guees a better playmaker would be the word i am looking for.
fair enough, just wasn't sure if i'd missed something about ward.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chad Johnson. Heinz is just known for his scrappy play and blocking. Yellow mohawk Man does everything.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Chad Johnson. Hines Ward is sometimes overrated because he does all the little things and is a great team player. Announcers always give him love because he's a great locker room player that is easy to like but he's not at the same level as Johnson in terms of catching the football.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Chad Johnson is a better wide reciever, there isn't a single doubt in my mind.

I absolutely respect what Heinz Ward has done in the NFL, and if I was building a team, I would even be tempted to choose him over Johnson as a player and team leader.

However, Johnson is one of the most explosive recievers in the league, and he is worlds more dangerous than Ward.
ditto^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 AM    (permalink
detknowitall
Veteran

detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.

Johnson is definately a better reciever but Hines has him in 2 areas he's definately a better blocker, and Hines is a better reciever when going over the middle.
detknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ led the league in drops a couple years ago...so I wouldn't say he has better hands.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Eat_Meat
Rookie

Eat_Meat hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think you have to account the teams they play for and their roles on the team..

CJ plays for the bengals which is basically a vertical threat type of offense with good recvers and a good QB but CJ is not their main player on offense.

Hines playes for pitt which is a gutsy run first pound the ball type of offense that will throw for 1st downs and needs good possesion recevers. I think Hines helps his teama lot more becuse he is able to block well for their running game and is able to make catches that move the chains.
Eat_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:05 AM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX
CJ led the league in drops a couple years ago...so I wouldn't say he has better hands.
Key words right there. Last Season i sawc hardly any drops from him.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:29 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

I'd take Hines Ward. He's not the modern selfish WR that plagues many teams. He is as happy to lay wood on a defensive back as he is making catches. He hits like a safety on cornerbacks and safeties. I forgot what Baltimore defensive back he took the helmet off on a running play a couple season's ago.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

No doubt Chad Johnson just look at the results so far. Its that easy of a question.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 AM    (permalink

Lol, remember the arguments about Ward being a dirty player danman? You tried telling me he wasn't dirty and I told you how he was voted by the players as the 2nd most dirty player in the NFL.

Anyways, If I was building a team I'd take Hines.

Chad's got speed on him, but he's definitely not a better redzone threat. Hines isn't big but he always found open spots in the endzone and I really wouldn't be surprised if he had more redzone scores than Plax did when Plax was in the Burgh.

Hands wise, I'm not really sure because I don't actually see Chad play every single week like I see Hines play. I know this though, Hines never drops balls. Seriously, I cannot recall one time I saw him drop a pass. He's great in traffic and always fights for extra yards. So despite the fact that he is slower, he actually may be better after the catch than CJ.

As far as routes go, I don't study that stuff on tape, but despite Hines' lack of serious speed he always beats his man so his route running must be pretty damn good.

It's definitely a close call and I can see why either player would be chosen, however, if I were building a team, I would take Hines because he can contribute to the team in more ways than Chad therefore making him the more complete player.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:

This means nothing. The people who voted in this poll are mostly under the age of 17 and see Chad on TV more often talking about how good he is. They also are fantasy players and think that stats are everything.

The beauty of Hines Ward lies beyond his statistical achievments, this is a well known fact.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 AM    (permalink

Quote:

speed
agility
hands
quickness

Wow, you're wild if you think Chad is in the top 5 in speed, agility, and quickness. He's not even close.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Lol, remember the arguments about Ward being a dirty player danman? You tried telling me he wasn't dirty and I told you how he was voted by the players as the 2nd most dirty player in the NFL.
I still don't think he is dirty. But whatever.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:20 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX
Key words right there. Last Season i sawc hardly any drops from him.
He was tied for 6th in the league last year.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard for me to say. As a Steeler fan, Ward is better for us than CJ would be. Ward is a great blocker and a great worker. He makes some hard catches and isn't afraid to take a hit or two. He is much better at the stuff that our WRs are asked to do.

But when you look at CJ he is taller, faster and probably has better hands. For most teams I would rather have CJ at reciever. He is just more of a big play threat than Ward is. He can make a huge impact on any game with his speed and deepball ability.

I will say CJ is a better reciever but I would take Ward first as a player.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hines Ward is slowly becoming one of the most overrated receivers in the game just because he's a "feel good" story. He's a good blocker, but both Keyshawn and Boldin are better yet never get the credit for it.

CJ is explosive, and I don't get how everyone is saying they'd take Hines Ward as a player. It's not like Chad Johnson is a Terrell Owens type player in the clubhouse. He is definitley a leader and has helped the outbreak of Carson Palmer more than most of you think. If he had such a drop problem he wouldn't continually put up 90 catch seasons. Ward has good hands, but Johnson's problem isn't his hands, it's a concentration thing.

Add in the fact that the Bengals are near a lock to be a top three offensive team this year, whereas the Steelers aren't.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote