Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Football Terms

I'd like to have some help with some football terms... I feel I should know most of these, but I don't.

3 Technique?
4 Technique?
5 Technique?

I know they mean to be DTs, but that is it.

What is a ''tex''? I know it refers to some OL move, just don't know whose and what it is.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

nbarnett56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
I'd like to have some help with some football terms... I feel I should know most of these, but I don't.

3 Technique?
4 Technique?
5 Technique?

I know they mean to be DTs, but that is it.

What is a ''tex''? I know it refers to some OL move, just don't know whose and what it is.

Thanks.
The number represents what gap that player is assigned too. Generally the only player with a number attached to their name is the 3 technique DT. That player is usually a smaller, quicker DT.

I don't see what your getting at with "tex" though.
nbarnett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the easiest way to answer this:

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anybody know what a 4-I is?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the 4-I? maryland I?
Four people lined in an I in the backfield?
Full back, two running backs in an I behind the quarterback.
If i think that's right.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
the 4-I? maryland I?
Four people lined in an I in the backfield?
Full back, two running backs in an I behind the quarterback.
If i think that's right.

I was wondering if it was position. I had never heard of it used as a position, but I heard a football coach say that kid would make one great 4I.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I was wondering if it was position. I had never heard of it used as a position, but I heard a football coach say that kid would make one great 4I.
he was probably refering to one of the backs in the 4I

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It might be cool to turn this into a bit of a trivia thread.

Who can explain what a joker linebacker is?

Hint: Thomas Davis was used in this capacity for a year.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
It might be cool to turn this into a bit of a trivia thread.

A LB that is used specifically for blitzing? I think thats right
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Riotmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post

Since "joker" isn't a by-the-book position, it can be described differently according to different teams. I'm not sure how Carolina used Davis.

The Eagles used to use the joker all the time before Kearse got hurt. He played it in 04 and 05, not so much last year due to playing 2 games. They used Juqua Thomas as a joker sparingly last year. In the Eagles version, it was a linebacker lined up maybe only a yard behind the defensive line over a gap. They'd blitz the gap, bump and run the TE or cover a RB. Juqua and Kearse were used in a variety of different ways when they lined up as the joker. Basically, the joker has to be a versatile athlete with good blitzing skills and change of direction.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud

A tex block is one between the tackle and guard. The tackle takes a down step to the inside while the guard waits a split second then down blocks to the outside right behind the tackle's butt. I think it's cause it kinda makes an X shape, and T for tackle. At least that's how i remembered it.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A 4I is also used for defensive technique. It is just a little inside of the regular 4 technique.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarnett56 View Post
The number represents what gap that player is assigned too. Generally the only player with a number attached to their name is the 3 technique DT. That player is usually a smaller, quicker DT.

I don't see what your getting at with "tex" though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
This is the easiest way to answer this:

Thanks you guys, now I can run the Midline in my team!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
A 4I is also used for defensive technique. It is just a little inside of the regular 4 technique.
This is basically correct. For some strange reason, whoever invented the numbering system decided to put the 4 tech on the inside shoulder of the tackle, the 4I tech head up on the tackle, and the 5 tech on the outside shoulder. I think it was so they could keep even numbers on the shoulders of the tight ends, but, I don't know if that's true or not.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotmaker View Post
Since "joker" isn't a by-the-book position, it can be described differently according to different teams. I'm not sure how Carolina used Davis.

The Eagles used to use the joker all the time before Kearse got hurt. He played it in 04 and 05, not so much last year due to playing 2 games. They used Juqua Thomas as a joker sparingly last year. In the Eagles version, it was a linebacker lined up maybe only a yard behind the defensive line over a gap. They'd blitz the gap, bump and run the TE or cover a RB. Juqua and Kearse were used in a variety of different ways when they lined up as the joker. Basically, the joker has to be a versatile athlete with good blitzing skills and change of direction.
You are correct sir, they can also line up over a slot receiver in a pinch usually.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote