Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Executives laughing at the vikings

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/16879054.htm

"On Wednesday morning, two executives for an NFL team called a Pioneer Press reporter to mock the Vikings for signing free-agent wide receiver Bobby Wade the previous night for five years and $15 million.

"I can't believe they paid him that much," one of the executives said.

Such comments reverberate around the Vikings these days, both publicly by their fans and privately by several team executives and agents speaking anonymously to the Pioneer Press. Wade is one of three NFL backups along with tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and linebacker Vinny Ciurciu the Vikings signed to relatively high-paying contracts during the first week of free agency. It has been a puzzling start for a 6-10 team that still is $27.8 million under the salary cap and could have afforded A-List players at A-Level salaries."
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can laugh all they want, Childress is paying them more money because he Envisions Bigger roles for them here in minneasota whether his eye for talent is right or not, at least we dont pay a butt load of money for average guys to come in and do the same thing they did on there other teams, and dont take offense to this im just making an example, but like the 49er's i mean come on 80 million dollars for Clements?? thats absolutly insane whether or not most of its through incentives. Nate clements is a good corner back ill give him that but thats money worthy of only Champ Bailey if even him... im fine with what childress is doing to me its a much much much better option than following the lead of the Redskins like everyone else is doing. Because it reallyyyyyy got the skins to go far
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh ya what i forgot to mention he did the same thing last year with Chester Taylor and ben leber they both seemed to work out fine.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I've read from several sources regarding NFL front office types laughing at the Minnesota Vikings offseason. Peter King's article was another one.

It is definitely a problem. I don't understand why they are giving 2nd/3rd tier free agents 1st tier contracts. It's like they think they are too smart to bother sticking to common sense. They are too arrogant to pay attention to draft value (Cook, Jackson). They are too arrogant to bother paying market value (Shiancoe, Wade).

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I actually agree with you here Swagger....paying the 2 "big name" F/A we did sign had to seem like a dream to those 2.
I'm curious as to what Shiancoe would have to do statistically to warrent that contract. I'm thinking no less than 45 grabs and close to 5 td's.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yeah I would have to agree it has been a strange offseason for the Vikes so far. They did the same thing last year giving Ben Leber, a pretty average LB, a big contract. I didnt like their draft too much either precisely because of picks like Cook and Jackson. Overall, I just dont like what the Childress regime has been doing and I think hes an awful coach.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im worried about the continuous reaching. Shiancoe gets a chance because he played with Eli and behind Shockey, that will explain not seeing him. But Wade is on starter money and thats scary if thats how we value him.

Reaching will kill a team. Leber is a classic example last year he starts all year almost to justify the contract. He isnt a starter in the NFL but because we are paying him as one, you almost have to start him, especially if you are as stubborn and arrogant as Childress seems.

Bucking convention is only good in small doses. Convention is there for a reason, because it works. If you are only going to sign backups, you have to draft stars(which we havent done yet and dont look like doing) or you get stuck in the middle. You also have to take some gambles on guys with potential in the latter rounds. Guys like Colston for example. A big fast reciever with good hands. We should certainly be taking that sort of player from the 5th round on and Im not a fan of drafting like that, its high risk, but its the alley you back yourself into if you only sign backups in FA.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Vikings Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Compared to other teams its not bad at all, here are some of my favorites this offseason:

Dewayne “Zippo Pro Bowls” White gets five years, $29 million, including $13 million guaranteed – or nearly a cool mil per career sack — to leave Tampa for Detroit.

Leonard “Zero Pro Bowls” Davis gets $18.75 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus, in Dallas? And now they’re moving him to guard?

Guard Derrick Dockery gets the same deal from Buffalo — seven years, $49 million with $16 million guaranteed — that Steve Hutchinson got from the Vikings last year. And then guard Eric Steinbach gets an even sweeter deal — seven years, $49.5 million with $17 million in guarantees — from Cleveland. I could go on and on.

Source: Mark Craig - Star Tribune
Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Excellent points VF. I'm not upset that we're not going after the more higher profile guys.....but the guys we do go after...do we really need to give them contracts like we gave ?
Seriously ?
And if Stienbach is "worth" 7+Mill a season I'd hate to think of what a Walter Jones would commmand in this years market.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Excellent points VF. I'm not upset that we're not going after the more higher profile guys.....but the guys we do go after...do we really need to give them contracts like we gave ?
Seriously ?
And if Stienbach is "worth" 7+Mill a season I'd hate to think of what a Walter Jones would commmand in this years market.
Im not defending our decisons I was merely remarking that to write a story on how WE overpay for free agents is silly, there are a hundred better, funnier instances out there.

No, we didnt but I guess that is the direction the market is going in, these kinds of contracts will only be more commonplace as time goes on.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

that was more of a rhetorical question...but it's cool.
I'm wondering if the league is going to "pass the buck" on to the fans via
higher ticket prices....the money has to come from somewhere....and owners have never been shy before about jacking up prices across the board to make themselves a nice chunk of change. And in this case it would counter some of the terrible decisions to throw some of their money away.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

I don't mind the players, really, either. I actually really like Visanthe Shiancoe. I don't really care for Bobby Wade very much, but I thought he would be a good depth signing before free agency.

But to give these guys the types of contracts they got is ridiculous. Bobby Wade got more guaranteed money then Donte Stallworth for Christ's sake. Just ridiculous. $8 million guaranteed for Shiancoe is almost just as ridiculous.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-14-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
that was more of a rhetorical question...but it's cool.
I'm wondering if the league is going to "pass the buck" on to the fans via
higher ticket prices....the money has to come from somewhere....and owners have never been shy before about jacking up prices across the board to make themselves a nice chunk of change. And in this case it would counter some of the terrible decisions to throw some of their money away.
Well, yes but I had a point I wanted to make.

As for passing the buck, its possibel but the NFL is still growing so maybe the incresaed revenue from TV ads and such will make up for it. But its always possible they raise the ticket prices as well.

swagger,

That much money is silly but I guess Chili is trying to send a message "Be my kind of player and you will be rewarded (ex Dugan). Mouth off, talk to the media and I'll cut you on Christmas Eve (ex Robinson/Culpepper)." Agree or disagree (I disagree) he has a message and a plan and for the next few years its the policy of Minnesota Football.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Does anyone think that some of the over paying is to lure players to a team that hasnt shown alot of potential to be in the playoffs?
I mean we have a project QB, a career back up runningback who fumbles, No #1,#2 or #3 receiver. A over paid, Over rated offensive line, A pretty good defense who lost their Coordinater after one year. In a perinally cold small market state which never has a home field advantage because their games are played in 70 degree weather all year long. WHo is coached by a man who never called his own plays until last year, Which if that was any indication of his play calling then we have no reason to believe we can duplicate the wins we had last year much less improve. By A GM Rick Speilman who's most noted accomplishment is being the brother of our once arch nemisis Chris. The only positive selling point is we have an owner who is willing to spend what ever it takes to make this team a winner.

I dont know just guessing?
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I've read from several sources regarding NFL front office types laughing at the Minnesota Vikings offseason. Peter King's article was another one.

It is definitely a problem. I don't understand why they are giving 2nd/3rd tier free agents 1st tier contracts. It's like they think they are too smart to bother sticking to common sense. They are too arrogant to pay attention to draft value (Cook, Jackson). They are too arrogant to bother paying market value (Shiancoe, Wade).
Arrogant to pay attention to draft value? Peterson? McCauley? Rufus Alexander? Wow....those were all terrific values.
hagy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

That post was before the draft.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/16879054.htm

"On Wednesday morning, two executives for an NFL team called a Pioneer Press reporter to mock the Vikings for signing free-agent wide receiver Bobby Wade the previous night for five years and $15 million.

"I can't believe they paid him that much," one of the executives said.

Such comments reverberate around the Vikings these days, both publicly by their fans and privately by several team executives and agents speaking anonymously to the Pioneer Press. Wade is one of three NFL backups along with tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and linebacker Vinny Ciurciu the Vikings signed to relatively high-paying contracts during the first week of free agency. It has been a puzzling start for a 6-10 team that still is $27.8 million under the salary cap and could have afforded A-List players at A-Level salaries."
I got a telephone call from your mothers doctor laughing and telling me how your mom was attempting to sell herself as a sex object so she could get money for an abortion. The only offer she got was a 5 dollar bill so she could go buy some arsenic....unfortunately that wasn't enough and the end result was you....
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Crimmony, gravedig much?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always laugh at the Vikings offseason.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote