Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:59 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
Champ is still there, but no CB is shutdown
No one is like me.

Unless you are a scout who has looked at every CB in every situation with absolutely zero bias, then I don't think you can determine who is best.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Chris McAlister should get some mention...anyone who has watched him thus far knows what I'm talking about. I'm not being a homer.

-He shut down Galloway - 0 catches - and he has a 50 yard INT return for TD
-Randy Moss only had 2 catches against him
-Cleveland Game: he makes the play of the game as he intercepted a Frye pass that gave the Ravens the ball back.
-Today: Goes up against McCardell and he has 0 catches
Old 10-01-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Daniel Adams

I say after watching Hall cover Larry Fitzgerald today, Hall is on his way to being a top 3 corner in the NFL. He shut him out for most of the day and plays with a passion. I haven't seen enough of this to say that he's better than Champ Bailey, though. I'd say Bailey is the best shutdown WR in the NFL though.

-DA
Old 10-01-2006, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

McAlister is right up there in the top 5 in my books...

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Daniel Adams

McAlister is heavily gifted and a top 3 CB but I think he's a little too aggressive at times and you can't rank him above Champ Bailey. I'd say he's 2nd with Rashean Mathis or Nate Clements as 3rd. Not sure between the last two. DeAngelo would wrap up my top five.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:23 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Top 5 (no order):
Chris McAlister
Nate Clements
Champ Bailey
Antoine Winfield
Ken Lucas
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:40 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff
Hall played another great game today covering Fitzgerald as well as its possible to cover fitzgerald, he had numerous pass deflection and a vital INT return for a TD
Best CB is still Bailey because of his consistancy but no for long, by that i mean i think my answer would be HALL if this was week 16
i said no homer picks.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bailey is the best CB in the leauge

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Corner is a very difficult position to judge. Because no statistic covers, well, covering ability. All I know, no Receiver has been at all successful against Hall, and he's faced very good receivers. He's up there, but it's too subjective for any of the corners in today's game to be the definitive "best."

Also, to diffuse any potential re-buttals to that statement, Joey Galloway did all his damage away from Hall. Against popular belief, corners only play against the "1" receiver about 50% of the time, so you cannot just look at the statsbook and assume which yardage came against which corner. Such as the Terrell Owens game, he had three of his seven catches against zone defenses, not Hall.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6
scientific football book says he allowed least YPC average or up in top 3 i believe..you guys are underrating him because hes not a Jet anymore
No, i watched the games, there is no stat for trying to jump a route and getting beat
So that means that if a quarterback always throws screen passes or dumpoff passes and his RB's take it all the way each time, he is the best QB in the league?
?

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM    (permalink
D4rk 0ne
Veteran

D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.D4rk 0ne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Bailey is number 1. Chris McCallister, IMO, is 2... Clements is 3.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:06 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Hall is better than Bailey, or at least I'd rather have Hall on my team anyways. Rashean Mathis is pretty darn good too
Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Champ Bailey hands down.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Corner is a very difficult position to judge. Because no statistic covers, well, covering ability. All I know, no Receiver has been at all successful against Hall, and he's faced very good receivers. He's up there, but it's too subjective for any of the corners in today's game to be the definitive "best."

Also, to diffuse any potential re-buttals to that statement, Joey Galloway did all his damage away from Hall. Against popular belief, corners only play against the "1" receiver about 50% of the time, so you cannot just look at the statsbook and assume which yardage came against which corner. Such as the Terrell Owens game, he had three of his seven catches against zone defenses, not Hall.
that's not true across the board. certain schemes don't keep a corner matched up. some coaches like to keep a guy matched up. for instance, until he got re-injured, bailey was on owens all game. foxworth spent 90% of the nfc championship game on cedrick wilson.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan
Champ Bailey hands down.
What exactly separates him so clearly from a guy like Antoine Winfield? His popularity?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM    (permalink

In terms of overall play i would say Nate Clements, but just purely coverman i would say Chris Gamble or Champ Bailey.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:32 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am kinda gettin sick of these threads... Like Sean Taylor of Brian Dawkins. It's always the older guy but the younger guy in a few years. Sigh....

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:

that's not true across the board. certain schemes don't keep a corner matched up. some coaches like to keep a guy matched up. for instance, until he got re-injured, bailey was on owens all game. foxworth spent 90% of the nfc championship game on cedrick wilson.
Pro Football Prospectus cataloged statistics on strategic tendencies, for example "CB1 on WR1." From last year: The Denver Broncos only had CB1, or Bailey, on the WR1 51% of the time, 9th most total in the NFL. The Falcons had Hall on the WR1 56% of the time, or 5th most in the NFL. So take that.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
I am kinda gettin sick of these threads... Like Sean Taylor of Brian Dawkins. It's always the older guy but the younger guy in a few years. Sigh....
Yeah, there's rarely (if ever) a definitive answer. A real exercise in futility.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:37 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
I'd rather have Taylor for the present and future.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:

Pro Football Prospectus cataloged statistics on strategic tendencies, for example "CB1 on WR1." From last year: The Denver Broncos only had CB1, or Bailey, on the WR1 51% of the time, 9th most total in the NFL. The Falcons had Hall on the WR1 56% of the time, or 5th most in the NFL. So take that.
sure, i believe that, i'm just saying that across the board, that's not a universsally appliable stat. for instance, does anyone think bailey followed troy brown around all game? i can't imagine there was any point. the same might go for the falcons playing the cardinals, where hall should cover either fitzgerald or boldin and it typically might (might because i don't know if mora thinks it does) not matter which hall is on.

on the other hand, in a big game, bailey is typically locked down on the #1. terrance newman on the other hand, is not because parcells does not believe in playing match-ups (*). i wouldn't blame bailey because we played some wr-poor teams last year.

* - from the dallas morning news, i can try to find the article if anyone cares.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've decided that determining a better defensive player is almost useless. Unless a player is completely dominant (Deion Sanders), you can't really know.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I'd take Hall over anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Oh, okay njx9, I see your point. I didn't grasp what you were saying. Speaking of what you said; Owens was having a big game last year, then after half-time, Hall was on Owens the whole second half and shut him down.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Oh, okay njx9, I see your point. I didn't grasp what you were saying. Speaking of what you said; Owens was having a big game last year, then after half-time, Hall was on Owens the whole second half and shut him down.
:roll: you know McNabb was injured right?