Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
What about geographic considerations? Not sure about WVU or BSU.
Thats what i thought, and im all for Central Michigan

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they should definitely add a team that can compete with the upper tier. They already have enough patsies in that conference. haha.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Can we move back on topic?

Alright, here is a list I think should be considered:
Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri
Boise State isn't a possibility. Big Ten by-laws state that any joining member has to be in a state touching a state of a current Big Ten member. This is why Colorado or South Florida isn't a possibility either (Mark May)

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Can we move back on topic?

Alright, here is a list I think should be considered:
Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri
First I would not want an extra team at all. If we had to who I'd want would be:

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Pitt
4. Missouri
5. Iowa State
Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota all have very good academics. You know not which you speak.

That actually is a good point though, every school in the Big Ten is either very strong at research or undergraduate (or both). The weakest (Michigan State and Ohio State) are still much much higher than a school like Missouri or West Virginia. That's another reason why Notre Dame would be the best possible fit.
Dont tell other people what they don't know if you can't get the stats correct yourself. Ohio State is the Number 1 research university in the Big 10 and only behind Nothwestern and Michigan in terms of overall academics.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballGod View Post
Dont tell other people what they don't know if you can't get the stats correct yourself. Ohio State is the Number 1 research university in the Big 10 and only behind Nothwestern and Michigan in terms of overall academics.
I've spent almost my entire life living in Ohio, my parents both graduated from Ohio State. You have no idea what you're talking about. Find me an accreditted ranking system that has Ohio State above schools like Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota in terms of research. Just because you're a Buckeyes fan doesn't mean you're even remotely qualified to speak on the issue. I've already listed the rankings in terms of both graduate and undergraduate. These come from multiple ranking systems both inside and outside the academic circle. I do this for a living. You don't know what the **** you're talking about. Good day.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you two want to have that conversation over PM, feel free, but that isnt what this topic is for.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballGod View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. I dont know the exact research rankings but i know for a FACT that for at least the past decade in terms of overall academic rankings its been:
1.Northwestern
2.Michigan
3.Wisconsin

Overall in the nation Northwestern comes in around 11, Michigan around 20-25 and Wisconsin between 30-35.

In terms of Public schools:
1.Cal-Berkley
2.Virginia
3.Michigan
With Wisconsin being as high as 5th on this list and I believe currently they are ranked around 7th.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

According to a very reliable source, believe it or not a school from the deep south approached the Big 11 about joining a few years ago, and it was one of these five programs: Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. However, at that juncture, the 11 wasn't ready to add a 12th team. I thought that would be a very intriguing tidbit of info to pass along. I couldn't tell you if they're still interested, or if this is the school they're currently in serious talks with. As long as the vote is unanimous, it could be any team, even someone who doesn't come close to bordering. I realize the travel would be immense, but obviously that is something they were willing to deal with.

As for the names bandied about-

Iowa State- Why would the 11 add the 2nd best team in Iowa when they have such a weak recruiting base? ISU should drop to mid major if anything.

Rutgers- Why would the 11 take a risk on a school that's had 1-2 good years, which directly correlates to the event where the big east lost their top teams? Their academics are borderline too. Cue the Rutgers homers.

Notre Dame- Not going to happen for financial reasons.

CMU- Why would the 11 slum like that?

Pitt- That one is plausible. They wouldn't be a liability in football really, and at least their recruiting well. They would add to the conference's strength in basketball. Academics are solid.

West Virginia- If they allowed Noel Devine to qualify, then their academic standards can't suffice.

Boise State- Once again, the 11 would be slumming. They'd be a major liability in basketball, and their success in football won't last forever. I doubt their academics are on par.

Nebraska- My personal favorite. The Big 12 is slipping. Nobody thinks of the Big 12 when they think of basketball. Less are thinking about the Big 12 when they think of football. So they'd be stupid not to be interested, especially with the Big Ten Network about to launch. They are a traditional power in football and back on the rise. In basketball they've stunk for a while, but given the fact that they are at least #1 in their state, they have potential with the right coach. I thought their academics were pretty good, but supposedly they'd be about the worst in the 11. Still, they're worth taking the chance on.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerninWI View Post
According to a very reliable source, believe it or not a school from the deep south approached the Big 11 about joining a few years ago, and it was one of these five programs: Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. However, at that juncture, the 11 wasn't ready to add a 12th team. I thought that would be a very intriguing tidbit of info to pass along. I couldn't tell you if they're still interested, or if this is the school they're currently in serious talks with. As long as the vote is unanimous, it could be any team, even someone who doesn't come close to bordering. I realize the travel would be immense, but obviously that is something they were willing to deal with.
Actually no, that's not possible.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:16 AM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Actually no, that's not possible.
Yes it is possible. I'm pretty sure it's just like the constitution. If they get enough votes, they can change it. Why would they restrict themselves when it's something that every school wants and benefits from. Like I said, if it's a unanimous vote, the team DOES NOT have to be from a bordering state.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

As for the names bandied about-

Iowa State- Why would the 11 add the 2nd best team in Iowa when they have such a weak recruiting base? ISU should drop to mid major if anything.

Rutgers- Why would the 11 take a risk on a school that's had 1-2 good years, which directly correlates to the event where the big east lost their top teams? Their academics are borderline too. Cue the Rutgers homers.

Notre Dame- Not going to happen for financial reasons.

CMU- Why would the 11 slum like that?

Pitt- That one is plausible. They wouldn't be a liability in football really, and at least their recruiting well. They would add to the conference's strength in basketball. Academics are solid.

West Virginia- If they allowed Noel Devine to qualify, then their academic standards can't suffice.

Boise State- Once again, the 11 would be slumming. They'd be a major liability in basketball, and their success in football won't last forever. I doubt their academics are on par.

Nebraska- My personal favorite. The Big 12 is slipping. Nobody thinks of the Big 12 when they think of basketball. Less are thinking about the Big 12 when they think of football. So they'd be stupid not to be interested, especially with the Big Ten Network about to launch. They are a traditional power in football and back on the rise. In basketball they've stunk for a while, but given the fact that they are at least #1 in their state, they have potential with the right coach. I thought their academics were pretty good, but supposedly they'd be about the worst in the 11. Still, they're worth taking the chance on.
You said cue the Rutgers homers and I don't really want to argue in this thread but Rutgers is widely considered by many as one of the top 20 public universities in the country.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Syracuse would be right behind Notre Dame as a school that could be #12. Their basketball reputation is second to none and they would bring a football tradition with them along with excellent facilities. They are close to the New York press market which the Big 10 would love.
There is no way in your lifetime that the Big 10 would accept a school that is not a widely known team. I could see Nebraska or Pittsburgh but Iowa St, Missouri and Rutgers have absolutely no chance. Louisville would have a slight chance but West Virginia , never. Too small a TV market which could also limit Louisville.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.

Quote:
Hello!

How are the academics borderline? You can argue football all you want, but Rutgers would be in the middle of the Big Ten academically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think Syracuse would be right behind Notre Dame as a school that could be #12. Their basketball reputation is second to none and they would bring a football tradition with them along with excellent facilities. They are close to the New York press market which the Big 10 would love.
Syracuse is in upstate NY. They aren't close to NYC at all.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Hello!

How are the academics borderline? You can argue football all you want, but Rutgers would be in the middle of the Big Ten academically.
You're right, you'd be middle of the road for the Big Ten according to the rankings; but there is a substantial drop off after the top 3 or so academic schools in the big ten. And we seem to put a lot of emphasis on research vs. undergrad. I don't know which is disproportionately better for Rutgers. Even if Rutgers was an average school academically for the 11, I don't know how they'd be above average athletically, to justify adding them to the conference. And clearly Rutgers hasn't been even close to average in football/basketball the last 10 years or so. Obviously there are many better, more proven options. And that's what this thread is about, and that is; trying to discern who would be among the best options for the 11.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
You're right, you'd be middle of the road for the Big Ten according to the rankings; but there is a substantial drop off after the top 3 or so academic schools in the big ten. And we seem to put a lot of emphasis on research vs. undergrad. I don't know which is disproportionately better for Rutgers. Even if Rutgers was an average school academically for the 11, I don't know how they'd be above average athletically, to justify adding them to the conference. And clearly Rutgers hasn't been even close to average in football/basketball the last 10 years or so. Obviously there are many better, more proven options. And that's what this thread is about, and that is; trying to discern who would be among the best options for the 11.
Rutgers is pretty good for research. Obviously they play second banana to Princeton in New Jersey, but they're easily around Ohio State/Penn State/etc.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
"We're not looking for a championship game. If we were looking for a championship game, we would have had one 15 years ago," he said. "We're looking for a stronger conference, a conference that works better for all 11 members. . . . Our goal from our 11 institutions is how can we get better."
Words from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Words from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany.
Well Columbus wasn't looking for America my man, but look how that turned out. You're here.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote