Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default HS/College wrestling

I just got done with all of my off season wrestling
i was in our club i went to off season tournaments
i went to the Fullerton Camp and then our Bosco camp

I feel that wrestling is one of the more under appreciated sports.
I think it deserves a lot more publicity as its a great sport.
It has lots of physical contact and its a violent tiring sport.
Not many other sports work as hard as wrestlers.

So, since i think wrestling deserves a lil more publicity i thought itd be a good idea to make a thread about it. You can discuss moves, work outs, camps, etc. etc.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CCB's Words of Wisdom: quit wrestling and train for MMA.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

My freind is one of the best wrestlers in canada for his weight class... he has gone to japan, oregon and a crap load of other places for it aswell

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post

So, since i think wrestling deserves a lil more publicity i thought itd be a good idea to make a thread about it. You can discuss moves, work outs, camps, etc. etc.
Absolutely. It is about as physically draining as it gets. I don't know how you train, but my high school coaches always turned the heater up to 100 degrees with us in sweatpants working non-stop for 2+ hours. Incredibly grueling, but the reward you feel after pinning a guy to win a gold medal or win 6 points for you team in the duel meet--there's nothing like it.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love wrestling, I went to Cary Kolat and Ken Chertow camps, I am so pumped for next year I hope I make varsity.

So to all wrestlers what are your favorite moves/strategies?

for takedowns I like to do, duck unders, slide-bys/shrugs, ankle picks, high-c, double, low single, sweep single, and I am going to use this move from a Russian 2 on 1 were you spin away from him and lower his arm so you can go behind.

on top I like 2 on 1 and re-bar tilts, turks, and I am going to start using parrallel and cross body rides. I learned ways to stop basically all counters for the cross body ride plus the tilt Derek Moore always did in the finals against Ryan Lang.

on bottom I usually try sit out to petersons or Granbys.

If anybody is going to wrestling camp next year I highly suggest Ken Chertow or Kolats. Kolat showed us everything possible about a russian 2 on 1 and showed us some nice legs and tilts from top. Plus hip hiests on bottom. Chertow showed us a wide variety of everything involving wrestling, they are both highly suggested.

So who is everybody's favorite wrestlers? Mine is probably Kurt Backes I love the moves he does, I also like Askren, Nick Simmons, Herbert and Lang. Also for freestyle watch out for Henry Cejudo he is going to be the next american stud, he can go down with the names of John Smith, Baumgardner as multiple world champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
CCB's Words of Wisdom: quit wrestling and train for MMA.
I would actually want to try MMA it seems fun after wrestling.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now im working to hit a Super Duck or Mega Duck, i saw it at the Fullerton Camp and its friggin awesome...you do a duck under without even touching the guy.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Fitzgerald11
Rookie

Fitzgerald11 needs more cowbell.

Quote:

I agree. You have to be in great shape. I did it and quit because it was too hard. I have a respect for wrestlers knowing what they go through to even wrestle in a match.
Fitzgerald11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right now im working to hit a Super Duck or Mega Duck, i saw it at the Fullerton Camp and its friggin awesome...you do a duck under without even touching the guy.
you should try a Nate Carr duck under. youtube Nate Carr it is like a duck under to a body lock and he hit it like crazy all over the world. I am going to start using inside trips they will be a good move to add even if it works once every couple of matches.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

ripdw27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yea its THE MOST intense sport ive ever gone out for... every nite after practice i went to bed rite away lol.. theres no other sport thats even close to varsity hs wrestling or hs+ wrestlng.. its hard to cut down to a wt class n stay there.. you cant eat a lot n then you have to still work you ass off.. not complaining.. its nice when all that work pays off n you get a pin or even just a win.. i dont wrestle year round or anything i lettered as a frosh this year but im still pretty dedicated to it
ripdw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Man the good old days of wrestling. I haven't wrestled for damn near 17 years, because I'm old now, but it is good to see people talking about it.

In my day John Smith was it, the best wrestler in the world. I met him a couple of times, seemed like a good dude. Dan Gable was the coach of Iowa, that guys was just a legend. He was 182-1 in H.S. and college, won the gold medal at the 72 Olympics and in the process didn't surrender a point to any opponent.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Im not a great neutral wrestler, i'll always look to set up my front head lock and then drag my opponent to the mat and work from there, im great at the Hawk Eye and I got one of the Hardest Crossfaces on the team, ive busted a few noses with it and broke 2.

This year im looking to fill in for our former 215 Robert Ortiz who was a 2 time state qualifier. But one of my coaches wants me to drop to 189s which is possible but would require a lot of work.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 08-01-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
Man the good old days of wrestling. I haven't wrestled for damn near 17 years, because I'm old now, but it is good to see people talking about it.

In my day John Smith was it, the best wrestler in the world. I met him a couple of times, seemed like a good dude. Dan Gable was the coach of Iowa, that guys was just a legend. He was 182-1 in H.S. and college, won the gold medal at the 72 Olympics and in the process didn't surrender a point to any opponent.

John is a legend I love watching his low single, it was so graceful.

raiderz4life what is your weight now?

because if you are like 215 now it might not be the best idea, I know the Russians don't cut as much weight as americans and they are a lot better at wrestling then us.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

im a little over weight right now. My wrestling weight is usually about 210 or so but right now im about 217. Im a short guy compared to a lot of the 215's ill have to wrestle this year. So one of my coaches decided itd be better if i dropped to 189's so then my height wouldnt be too much of a disadvantage.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

well I guess it depends if you are kind of fat, if you can cut to 189 just from fat then that could work. But if you do doubles and duck unders or moves that use your low center of gravity you can do fine at 215.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I never wrestled in high school, i wanted a break after football, i regret not wrestling. But i have the utmost respect for wrestlers, dealing with their weight and the conditioning they do is very hard.

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
well I guess it depends if you are kind of fat, if you can cut to 189 just from fat then that could work. But if you do doubles and duck unders or moves that use your low center of gravity you can do fine at 215.
I can cut down to 89s and ill probably end up doing that. Like i said im not a great wrestler on my feet, i wont take too many shots, i do hit duck unders though. Im also not a great thrower, my best throw is a modified lateral.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

do you have trouble when they sprawl down and you are stuck holding onto there leg? I always end up like that but I developed my own ways of still scoring.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

ive gotten stuck there a lot, its a problem m trying to fix. My best shot is the Hi-C from there i dont switch off to a double cuz it gets me into trouble instead when they sprawl ill crack down or ill shift to the outside and crack down from there or switch to a backside double.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

the best way w/ Hi-C and you are stuck like that is to step up w/ your outside foot. There is a tape http://www.championshipproductions.c...WRD-02582.html it shows you what to do when you get stuck from a single or hi-c. I got it and I definetly will use some techniques it shows.

Does anybody else get instructional wrestling videos?