Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.
Default Draft musings for all...

Just to get it started:

I was in favour of LT in the 1st, QB in the 2nd. But then I looked back at the past fifteen years of drafting, and only one 2nd round QB has turned out to be franchise quality, Drew Brees. That's a rather worrying precedent, though obviously that's all history.

Petrino may well believe that one of the very good but not perfect QBs - who might be available in the 2nd - would be a good fit for his system, and could be coached up for a year or two. Possibilities would be Booty, Henne, Brennan, Ainge, Keller, Ryan. That's six guys, odds are that Petrino fancies one of them.

On the other hand, there are a load of very good Left Tackles available this year, and we may well be able to get a franchise calibre LT in the 2nd, and Brohm or Woodson in the 1st, who are both clearly better than those six 2nd tier guys.

Either way, if we don't come out of the first two rounds with a QB and LT, I'm going to aggravated.

Incidentally, it seems quite possible to me, based on the past two years, that Woodson will be drafted ahead of Brohm. Unlimited potential will always be drafted ahead of proven college performance. Woodson may not have the numbers of Brohm, but he has the same huge potential as Russell. And Brohm has the negatives of "injury-prone" and "system QB" to be thrown at him. If Woodson has a good year, then I'd expect him to be a top 5 pick. If Brohm has a great year, then he should be too. But if Brohm has even just a good year, I'd expect him to have, if not a Quinn-like fall, then at least a Leinart-like slip.

Imagine getting Brohm at #10 (or possibly with a minor trade up). It's not impossible. In fact, history suggests that it may be more likely that not. Fingers crossed. And while I'm at it, how about Barry Richardson or Tony Hills in the 2nd. Drool.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Not bad man, being in Australia i dont see that many college games. But from the very little ive seen i like the idea of getting Woodson more than Brohm, just a personal preference. Woodson is a guy who is well spoken and a guy who i think would be a great role model for the fans in Atlanta who are now disillusioned after looking up to Vick for so long, he would also be a tad more entertaining to watch than Brohm with his ability to move around in the pocket and take a few hits, guys with upside are fun to watch.

I agree with you however about our draft, its funny really, we are reasonably set at every position except for the two most important positions LT and QB.

Dude imagine if we could clone the Browns draft. As i say, we are reasonably set at the other positions so i wouldnt even mind surendering the first in 09. My fantasy atm

our 1st - LT, Jake Long OR Michael Oher
other teams 1st - QB, Andre Woodson
houstons 2nd - NT, Red Bryant

I like the idea of Stone and Williams as our safetys, Stone doesnt seem to be as big of a project as we thought and just might save us from taking a SS high

Imagine the young neucleas of our team

DHall, Williams, Stone, Houston, Anderson, Boley, Bryant, Blaylock Long OR Oher , Norwood and the new face of Atlanta Andre Woodson (id still be happy with Brohm)

More realistic scenario
1st - QB, Andre Woodson
2nd - OT, Gonsder Cherrius (sp)
2nd - NT, Red Bryant

God dammit rich mckay! if only you had listened and taken Jared Gaither WITH A FOURTH we wouldnt need to use a high pick on a LT and we would have a guy with more upside than all of them who is already starting to live up with his potential with the ravens.

-----------------
Man missing out on a guy like that, who i loved (gaither), for such a cheap price and the goings on with the player that (im not gonna lie) was a main reason i became a fan of this team really gets to me, all the atrocities aside im really gonna miss the exitement of not knowing what #7 is gonna do next and the amazing stuff he came up with.*sighs*

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 08-21-2007 at 11:42 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hmmm. makes sense. now imagine this...
we're at 2. we trade down with Minnesota at 7 for the #7 and their 2nd and 3rd.
we now have a boat load of picks. at 7 we get Brohm. at 34 we get Clady. at 39 we get Oher and let's say Houston's is 45 and we get say Red Bryant. we will have just filled out biggest needs and then still have two 3rd round picks and then a pick in the 4th 5th 6th and 7th.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We're going to be looking GREAT after next year's draft, that's all there is to it.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
hmmm. makes sense. now imagine this...
we're at 2. we trade down with Minnesota at 7 for the #7 and their 2nd and 3rd.
we now have a boat load of picks. at 7 we get Brohm. at 34 we get Clady. at 39 we get Oher and let's say Houston's is 45 and we get say Red Bryant. we will have just filled out biggest needs and then still have two 3rd round picks and then a pick in the 4th 5th 6th and 7th.
not bad, i very much like it. My only problem is with where you have Oher, he seems destined to go much higher than that. Would i be all that wrong in saying

Jake Long = Joe Tomas
Michael Oher = Levi Brown-ish
Andre Woodson = Jamarcus Russel - to a lesser extent in terms of boom/bust, not as big of an upside but safer
Brian Brohm = Matt Leirnart = Brady Quinn, the golden boy who ends up being passed on.
Red Bryant=Alan Branch ala the next Henderson OR Stroud but then falls when people get worried about work ethic

Also, Trey Lewis (who continously improves), Babineaux, Bryant and Coleman and even Grady Jackson if he stuck around are 4 legitimate guys who i couldnt see a drop off with depending on who is in the game, imagine what it would be like to have constant pentration from the DT position with no let up. The backups we have now are good players but there is an obivious drop of when the starters arent there

What can you tell me about Clady?

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 08-21-2007 at 06:38 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Hmm, after a bit of an investigation, if i could do the Browns trade id love to go
1st -LT Jake Long
1st (frm someone) QBAndre Woodson
2nd (frm Houston) NT Red Bryant
3rd- RT Heath Benidict

Now thats a 1st day!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as we can get either Brohm or Woodson, I will be happy. I prefer Woodson personally, but the fact that Brohm already knows the playbook is a big plus.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Play Hard
Rookie

Play Hard hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default You guys should

You should be able to get whomever you want as you will most likely be in the top 5 draft picks
Play Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think of it this way: if Brohm came in all he would have to adjust to is the speed of the game. He would already know the offense and the terminology, which removes a lot of the learning curve for a rookie QB. Have there been any other circumstances where a college QB/HC tandem both rejoined in the NFL?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote