Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default PS Game 3 Discussion

I'm watching the game and thought I would share some thoughts during it.

Mix has looked good as has Eli.

Tynes just shanked the crap out of that
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Osi just completely owned D'Brick. He even tried to hold him.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Well Tynes sucks
Old 08-25-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Well Tynes sucks
Tynes REALLY sucks. Oh fer two.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

After a pathetic start the Giants D looks great
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great isn't even the word. Dominant might be. The Jets offensive was completely shut down by the Giants defense. They couldn't run, they couldn't pass down the field, they couldn't protect, they couldn't do anything.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

I could kick better then this, and I don't think I am lieing about that either
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i was at the game, the D looked amazing out there, taking away te 1st play of the game. Eli looked very sharp, having only about 2 bad throws. Mix may have just made the team. Tynes was awful, but Huston also missed about a 41 yarder.... the kicking situation really scares me. RW looked good on punt returns and Osi is gonna have a monster year, he just abused D'Brick.

also, Whimper got bitched about every single play. he doesnt look good at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loved what I saw out of Justin Tuck. Especially when he lined up in UT in the nickel. Thats gonna give us excellent versatility in the dline this year. Justin Tuck, if he can stay healthy, is the real deal, and I think he'll be Strahan's replacement when he gives it up. Kiwi, I really hope he can continue to pan out at SAM/rushbacker, because then we have a formiddable pass rushing trio for the next 7 years or so.

Kiwi has improved tremendously in his run stuffing, and he's great rushing the passer standing up. However, his coverage still needs alot of work. It seems as if he's better in zone than man, but this scheme is heavily man oriented. Expect him to have minimal coverage responsibilities during the year until he gets more comfortable in that role. But hopefully by the end of the year, he'll be legit. It will be a slow process however, Im not expecting him to be Marcus Washington in 4 games. If Kiwi can really make the leap, he'd be an extremely versatile weapon for us. Think about it, he can play DE, if he pans out he can play 4-3 SAM, he can definately play 3-4 SAM and WILL, and I would consider him possibly being capable of playing 3-4 ILB as well. But thats getting way ahead of ourselves, Im just throwing it out there.

Our starting DTs seem like theyll do a decent job against the run this year, but let's hope theres no injuries, because our backups are useless. Jay Alford is not ready yet, and may forever be a situation pass rusher, and Joseph is a bust with a capital B. Fred Robbins is gonna have to be huge for us this year.

James Butler....yeah, we need Demps back. This defense needs an elite safety, and we simply don't have one on the roster.

Im not worried about Ross, he's gonna have some growing pains, it comes with the territory. I like his physicality and his game speed. I don't think he'll ever be a DeHall type of player, but he can be a Lito Sheppard. And thats fine with me.

DeOssie isn't ready yet. Probably won't be until at least week 8.

Diehl did well, the oline as a whole did well. Im not going to overreact to it however because this is the Jets dline we're talking about. The Jets don't have a very formiddable pass rush at all, and theyre not an attacking defense. We have to go against the Skins, Eagles and Cowboys, all 3 of whom love to blitz the farm. Our true test will be week 1 against Dallas.

Backup oline situation is looking real ugly. Whimper sucks hard, Reugamer is hurt, no quality backup OGs...basically, an injury to the oline screws us badly. Which is why I was pushing for the Schafter trade, however its probably too late for that now. If right now any of our starting olinemen go down, we're screwed. Our depth is paperthin, and our starters aren't exactly Pro Bowlers (outside of Snee) to begin with. So thats a scary situation heading into the season. You can never have too much oline, and we quite frankly don't have any.

Jacobs is the man, we'll be fine in the run game. Ive said all along, im more worried about Tiki's absence in the pass game (pass protection and catching out of the backfield) opposed to his absence in the run game.

I think we have quality WR depth this year. Smith is the real deal, I liked Mix alot yesterday, although I won't jump to conclusions, he still has a lot of work to do. Jennings actually impressed me alot before he went down for the year. We should be ok at WR. Im worried about Sinorice however. I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me believe he's the real deal. Right now, Im very disappointed in him.

Eli looks much sharper in this short passing offense. I think it fits him much better. However, one thing that I noticed. He still throws off his backfoot with pressure in his face up the gut. Thats one thing that i have a problem with. Instead of stepping up, and delivering the ball while taking the hit, Eli instead throws off his backfoot. He can't do that in the regular season. He has to man up and take the hit. Other than that, I love what I see out of Eli so far.

Its amazing how having WRs who run their routes and not give up can help Eli isn't it?

I think Ahmad Bradshaw should be the #2 over Droughns

I have a feeling that this team, if it doesn't quit on Coughlin, will have a better 2nd half of the season than the 1st, contrary to our recent trends.

Im probably forgetting more, but Ill remember as we discuss it.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 08-26-2007 at 12:21 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heh, I had a chance to go to the game, and I was pretty impressed with out first team in general. The defensive line looked great out there for the most part. Cofield seemed to be collapsing the pocket pretty nicely, allowing Tuck and Osi to get some pressure from the edges.

Webster did pretty well during the absence of Sam Madison, I thought. Gibril was patrolling the secondary nicely too I thought.

Having a chance to see Ross close up a few times, he seemed to be running stride for stride with the Jet's receivers and was doing a good job in coverage.

Overall this year I would say things look a lot better than some of us thought they might. Though as BBD mentioned, the offensive lines depth is pretty much paper thin. I think Whimper could step in at Guard if someone went down and be effective, but I'm not sure he would do so well at tackle.

Next week I'd love to see Bradshaw get the start at RB to both make sure Jacobs doesn't get hurt, and to see how he does against the 1st team defense, assuming New England puts them out there at all..which I doubt.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Go_Eli hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Eli looks much sharper in this short passing offense. I think it fits him much better. However, one thing that I noticed. He still throws off his backfoot with pressure in his face up the gut. Thats one thing that i have a problem with. Instead of stepping up, and delivering the ball while taking the hit, Eli instead throws off his backfoot. He can't do that in the regular season. He has to man up and take the hit. Other than that, I love what I see out of Eli so far.
So do a lot of other QBs in the league. He isn't the only one.
Go_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eli View Post
So do a lot of other QBs in the league. He isn't the only one.
I know, but that still doesn't make it right. Other than that, I have no complaints with Eli, I think he's been a stud so far in PS *knockonwood*. But thats one aspect of his game Id like to see him fix. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and take the hit, and Eli never does that.

Theres gonna be times when pressure comes up the middle. He can't lean backwards and throw off his backfoot each time. Thats not a good thing. Again, thats the only thing I didn't like out of him this PS.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Heh, I had a chance to go to the game, and I was pretty impressed with out first team in general. The defensive line looked great out there for the most part. Cofield seemed to be collapsing the pocket pretty nicely, allowing Tuck and Osi to get some pressure from the edges.

Webster did pretty well during the absence of Sam Madison, I thought. Gibril was patrolling the secondary nicely too I thought.

Having a chance to see Ross close up a few times, he seemed to be running stride for stride with the Jet's receivers and was doing a good job in coverage.

Overall this year I would say things look a lot better than some of us thought they might. Though as BBD mentioned, the offensive lines depth is pretty much paper thin. I think Whimper could step in at Guard if someone went down and be effective, but I'm not sure he would do so well at tackle.

Next week I'd love to see Bradshaw get the start at RB to both make sure Jacobs doesn't get hurt, and to see how he does against the 1st team defense, assuming New England puts them out there at all..which I doubt.
I don't see Whimper hacking it at Guard either. He's not mean enough. Guards have to play with a meanstreak, and Whimper doesn't have one. And he doesn't play with power either, he's just soft all around. I don't see him pulling with success in the NFL, unless he makes drastic changes. Right here right now, I don't see it with him. I don't think he'll ever be the answer at LT, I think they should try him out in other spots, but until he plays tougher, I don't see him working in any starting position in the NFL either.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Bash Whimper all you want, find every supposed negative in his game, but at least admit he's had one hell of a preseason when most fans basically wrote him off.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bash Whimper all you want, find every supposed negative in his game, but at least admit he's had one hell of a preseason when most fans basically wrote him off.
against the Jets he was owned on basically every play. Wright was chased from behind through basically the whole 3rd quarter. At the game, during the lame 3rd quarter, i focused on watching Whimper, who kept getting beat like one of Vick's dogs. Guys were running through him and around him like it was nothing...
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
against the Jets he was owned on basically every play. Wright was chased from behind through basically the whole 3rd quarter. At the game, during the lame 3rd quarter, i focused on watching Whimper, who kept getting beat like one of Vick's dogs. Guys were running through him and around him like it was nothing...
Now I didn't see the game Saturday but I've heard the other side of that coin. I've heard Whimper did his job, it was everyone else who didn't. TE didn't, RB missed a block, whatever, but I heard Whimper was okay.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

he looked lost completly. He had some nice blocks, but just got burned several times. Our backup OL hasnt looked good at all so far, but lets hope we dont need to use them in the regular season!!
Quote:
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I had a chance to watch the game on TV finally, and I think Whimper did a fairly good job a majority of the time. Of course you have to remember, Whimper really didn't see the 3-4 in college or on the practice squad a majority of the time, so it's a pretty different feeling. I'll contribute it to growing pains.

I would agree Whimper doesn't really have a nasty streak though (funny considering his name), but I would be more comfortable with him starting at guard than Zach Pillar. Koets seemed to do all right at guard.

As for Eli throwing off his back foot..it seemed like he improved that quite a bit. I recall seeing a couple defenders in his face and he still stepped up and threw the ball effectively. I liked what I saw against the Ravens though, where he was using some of his athleticism (which I think is underrated for him) to move the pocket and throw the ball. Honestly, I just like the fact he hasn't turned the ball over really, except that botched snap against the Ravens. I think Eli may be in for a great season this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
How? All reports have indicated that he's been getting stomped on in training camp, plus, he was not impressive during preseason games either. Mind you, he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. To play "ok" against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't mean squat. His improvement this year was supposed to let us know if he can be a realistic long term solution at LT, and I think its safe to say the answer is a resounding no. I personally thought he did horrible against the Jets. I haven't seen anything out of him to lead me to believe that he can be a starter in this league. I don't even think he can ever be a guard, he's simply too soft.

I wish he was the real deal too, trust me. But sometimes you just gotta take your losses and move on. Whimper was a failed experiment. I wouldn't invest anymore faith in him. If he does, great even though i doubt it, but I don't think this team should go into this upcoming offseason thinking that Whimper will hold us down in the future.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
How? All reports have indicated that he's been getting stomped on in training camp, plus, he was not impressive during preseason games either. Mind you, he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. To play "ok" against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't mean squat. His improvement this year was supposed to let us know if he can be a realistic long term solution at LT, and I think its safe to say the answer is a resounding no. I personally thought he did horrible against the Jets. I haven't seen anything out of him to lead me to believe that he can be a starter in this league. I don't even think he can ever be a guard, he's simply too soft.

I wish he was the real deal too, trust me. But sometimes you just gotta take your losses and move on. Whimper was a failed experiment. I wouldn't invest anymore faith in him. If he does, great even though i doubt it, but I don't think this team should go into this upcoming offseason thinking that Whimper will hold us down in the future.
Dude, he might not have been impressive, but what lineman are exactly impressive period? Lineman aren't supposed to be impressive, they're supposed to get the job done. And the two preseason games I saw, Whimper did just that.

His pass blocking needs work but he can run block and knows how to do it. Why are we giving up on him yet, because we don't see a mean streak? Did Luke Petitgout have a mean streak? Does David Diehl?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dude, he might not have been impressive, but what lineman are exactly impressive period? Lineman aren't supposed to be impressive, they're supposed to get the job done. And the two preseason games I saw, Whimper did just that.

His pass blocking needs work but he can run block and knows how to do it. Why are we giving up on him yet, because we don't see a mean streak? Did Luke Petitgout have a mean streak? Does David Diehl?
Actually David Diehl does.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I don't know. I don't think he played as bad as you're making it seem. I've re-watched each pre-season game, and basically I've focused solely on him and to be honest, I think he's done pretty decent. Granted, he's had some break downs, but every player will. Especially since he was a conversion from guard and has only been in the NFL one year.

The coaches seem to think he's done 'okay' in camp, which to me sounds like he needs more time to develop. I don't see the harm in letting him back up Diehl this year and see how he does during practice every week to watch if he improves. It think if nothing else, Whimper can develop into a good back up at tackle.

I actually really look forward to the 4th pre-season game for us, because I'd like to see how he does when he gets the chance to play the majority of the football game. That and I'd like to see how some of the CB's do this week.

Well, on that note, how did you think some of the guys did at CB for us during the PS so far?

I think Ross has done pretty well. Dockery seems like a good dime back, McPhearson seemed to be doing pretty well also. Surprisingly, I'd have to say Underwood has been very unimpressive so far. Sadly, I don't think Dockery would ever be a good starter for us, but he could develop into a great nickleback. His size really hurts him when he has to cover a pretty fair sized WR.