Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Official Game Day Thread

Discuss Saints game day football here!

Introduce breakdowns of their opponents each week, discuss whether or not they will win, discuss keys to victory, and all else that is associated with Saints game day football!

Geaux Saints!

A few days early but I just can't hold back generating some thoughts/discussion for this game. I've been waiting the whole off-season for it.

Week 1 - Saints @ Colts
vs.
Thursday, September 6th. 8:30 PM (Eastern)

This is a tough match up for an opener, it should be one of the most exciting games in Week 1. It is widely expected to be a "Shoot Out" and for good reason as 2 of the league's best Offenses square off on national TV. I think this a great test for our team to see how we stack up against the AFC Elite, with all the Super Bowl hype of the off-season. Some of my key thoughts for this game:

- Will Smith & Charles Grant absolutely have to step up with huge games and show why they are Pro Bowl caliber players who are regarded to be one of the better DE tandems in the league. It's not all about sacks, Peyton Manning is one of; if not the most difficult QB to sack in the league simply because he's so great at feeling and avoiding the rush, and getting rid of the ball quickly. What I feel is most important is getting enough consistent pressure to force him to get rid of the ball before he wants to.

- Jammal Brown is also another key player along the trenches for this game. It'll be a monumental task for Brown who is coming off a knee injury and is probably rusty after not having played in a pre-season game for a while to just step right back in and block Dwight Freeney, one of the best pure pass rushers in the game. As long as he can hold his own.. I expect to see us give him a lot of help by rotating in a Tight End on his side, and sending a RB to chip Freeney.

- I hope we utilize Roman Harper as a extra Linebacker down in the box to Shadow Addai and cover him on those quick dumpoffs and screens Manning loves to check down to. I'd also like to see us bring him on the blitz.

- This was a rough draw as a first game to throw our Secondary into. This was our weakest unit last season, and although I think it is improved. Facing a QB like Peyton, and all those weapons in the passing game. (Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez) is a monstrous challenge for any Secondary. I'm already expecting us to give up 200+ yards passing but I think the key is buckling down and getting the key stops down in the redzone, and on 3rd downs.

- We have to sustain long drives and eat up clock to keep Peyton and co. off the field as much as possible. They'll try to do the same thing to us so the Defense has to get off the field and can't fail on 3rd downs.

Also I can't believe we are only 4 days away from this game.

Last edited by diabsoule : 09-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote