Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 AM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Greetings Gentleman. This thread is designed to discuss the most overrated program over the last 10 years. I guessing there will be some great e-banter but lets try and keep this thread from breaking out into another tOSU v. Michigan thread, we have several of those already.

I have added a poll question with some of the big dogs who usually get to much credit every year. But by all means discuss other teams I have left out. Please remember this is over ten years, not a couple.

Also, judge the programs by NFL talent put out.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

To me, by far the most overrated program is Texas.

This team is ranked in the Top 5 basically every year, have top 5 recruiting classes every year, and if it wasn't for one man who goes by the name of Vince Young Texas would continue to do absolutly nothing. Also, lets not forget this team(minus VY) chokes in every single big game I have ever seen them play. Oklahoma Domination

The one thing going for Texas is the caliber of NFL players they put out. However, most of these programs put out great NFL players minus Notre Dame(cheap shot).
Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Florida St and Penn St.

Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are simply way too old to be still coaching.
It looks to me that Joe has become just a figurehead holding on for a few more victories while his OC and DC are actually coaching the team. It seems like a pathetic end to an absolutely tremendous career and I think he should just retire.
Bowden is a worst case senerio, he's also way too old to be coaching but I suspect he hasn't turned the coaching over to his co-ordinators. He's still trying to coach and the team is collapsing around him. He has simply gotten way past his prime and Florida St will continue on their steep decline until they force him out. It also doesn't help that his son is a terrible OC and needs to go as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Bowden is pretty much in the same boat as Paterno now although I feel he might do every so slightly more. Mickey Andrews seems like he has full control over that defense and Bowden's soon seems to pretty much run the offense. Both these guys are their for inspiration and recruiting. Although I feel Bowden might be a little more hands on with the players.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
I think Bowden is pretty much in the same boat as Paterno now although I feel he might do every so slightly more. Mickey Andrews seems like he has full control over that defense and Bowden's soon seems to pretty much run the offense. Both these guys are their for inspiration and recruiting. Although I feel Bowden might be a little more hands on with the players.
I get the impression Bowden still runs the ship while Paterno has graciusly stepped aside. Neither one want to retire and let the other one pass him in the overall victories list.
You have to wonder if Florida St will have to force Bowden out because he is starting to make his college into a loosing program.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Quote:
I get the impression Bowden still runs the ship while Paterno has graciusly stepped aside. Neither one want to retire and let the other one pass him in the overall victories list.
You have to wonder if Florida St will have to force Bowden out because he is starting to make his college into a loosing program.
Apprently they want him out. It is a sticky situation. The one who should probably get fired is his son. They have called for his head for a while now, but that is fine line to walk with daddy being the head football coach.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think teams like Texas, Michigan, and Ohio State should be out of consideration right away, at least imo. All three teams have won a National Championship in those years and all are constantly ranked in the top 10. Texas not so much throughout the whole 10 years. Tennessee and Florida State have also won championships, but they haven't been near the top as much as the other three have. I'd probably go with Georgia actually. Year after year I hear how Mike Richt is one of college football's great coaches, and I still have yet to see it. His recruiting classes are overrated and people always want to put them with the upper tier programs. I'm really not sold they are of the level of Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, USC, and Texas.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM    (permalink
manning18
Rookie

manning18 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think this is easily Notre Dame.

Kellen Lewis=The next Troy Smith
manning18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well if we're doing from 96, FSU has been in 3 national championship games. Only other team with that much is USC.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:01 AM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST
well if we're doing from 96, FSU has been in 3 national championship games. Only other team with that much is USC.
FSU also used to play in a weak ACC where it was easy to go unbeaten. The only challenges they had were Florida and Miami and Miami was down in the late 90s. I think FSU only lost 2 ACC games in the entire decade of the 1990s which shows how absolutely pathetic the ACC was.

From the list I have to agree Greg Behrendt that its Texas. Georgia is another strong consideration considering the fact that they haven't won a NC in a while and haven't really competed for one either other than maybe 2002 where they got closest in recent memory. Texas for a major all time program seems to be the #1 recruiting class every year so you would think they would do better than they are doing. Sure teams like Florida, Ohio State, Michigan are all getting elite recruits but they are never consistently #1. Bob Stoops totally owned Mack Brown for the past few years till Vince Young came along and carried the Texas team on his back. Heck look at how much this one guy did for a team supposedly full of high school superstars.

And while Texas has had produced a lot of top 10 picks in recent drafts, second most to Miami IIRC, overall their list of players is not that impressive. They have a couple of elite players in Shaun Rogers, Hampton and maybe Roy Williams (he'll get there) but I believe in total Texas has fewer players in the NFL than say Wisconsin or Texas A&M.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM    (permalink
snuff

ND, Returning to glory since 1988.

They have lost 8 bowl games in a row... They haven't won a bowl game in 12 years.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:11 AM    (permalink
danman253

Notre Dame and its not even close
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Florida St and Penn St.

Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are simply way too old to be still coaching.
It looks to me that Joe has become just a figurehead holding on for a few more victories while his OC and DC are actually coaching the team. It seems like a pathetic end to an absolutely tremendous career and I think he should just retire.
Bowden is a worst case senerio, he's also way too old to be coaching but I suspect he hasn't turned the coaching over to his co-ordinators. He's still trying to coach and the team is collapsing around him. He has simply gotten way past his prime and Florida St will continue on their steep decline until they force him out. It also doesn't help that his son is a terrible OC and needs to go as well.

THey are not overrated programs, maybe overrated coaches right now, but certainly not overrated programs. PSU is actually rising from their dismal seasons in early 2000, and barring this year, FSU has always been a top tier program...so no, they are not overated programs at all. ND is the most overrated, them and Georgia, always hyped up to make a BCS Bowl, possible National championship...yet never delivering

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

If it wasn't for this year, I would be almost inclined to say Michigan. Mainly beacuse of Lloyd Carr. I guess the talent is just so good there this year, that he would have to be an even bigger moron than we know he is to screw up this seaosn.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:21 AM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
If it wasn't for this year, I would be almost inclined to say Michigan. Mainly beacuse of Lloyd Carr. I guess the talent is just so good there this year, that he would have to be an even bigger moron than we know he is to screw up this seaosn.
I put much more blame on those dolts Jim Hermann and Terry Malone than Lloyd
Old 10-26-2006, 11:27 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman253
Notre Dame and its not even close
Here, here!

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Does anyone know a site where I can pull up the preseason polls from these years in question?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Quote:
Does anyone know a site where I can pull up the preseason polls from these years in question?
I was going to do that but had to go to school. Go ahead and do it if you want.

I should go back and change my vote to Notre Dame, they are the most overrated team and probally always will be.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Behrendt
Quote:
I was going to do that but had to go to school. Go ahead and do it if you want.

I should go back and change my vote to Notre Dame, they are the most overrated team and probally always will be.
I would check it out but I can't find a site that provides that info. My point being that I'm not sure Notre Dame is the most overrated. Mostly because they really weren't expected to do much. Last year they were unranked and receieved one vote in the preseason poll. Who was overrating them.

Michigan started at 4 and ended up being unranked.

Who was overrated there?

I'm going to lunch but I'll look into it deeper in a bit.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST
Actually, OU has played in 3, and USC has only played in 2. :roll:
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notre Dame. In this ten year period, they haven't met expectations, yet every year it feels like they SHOULD win. They never do. Also, NFL output hasn't been as tremendous as the other schools IMO...

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
Notre Dame. In this ten year period, they haven't met expectations, yet every year it feels like they SHOULD win. They never do. Also, NFL output hasn't been as tremendous as the other schools IMO...
I looked into it a bit as far as past polls. Notre Dame hasn't been good in the past 10 years (at least up to their standards), that much is obvious. But who was overrating them? There were a quite a few times where they weren't in the top 25 in the preseason polls.

There is a difference between struggling and being overrated. They have struggled over the past 10 years but the media has been right on with them most years as to where they thought they would be and where they actually ended up.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Behrendt
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?
They won a National Championship in 1996.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:20 PM    (permalink
danman253

Every year it seems as though Notre Dame is either supposed to be a BCS bowl team or a national champ. Year in and year out. Even last year. Weis came in, and even though they did not start ranked, they were supposed to be at worst a 2 loss team by their standards. Look at this year. One loss and this season is a bust.