Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Parcells wanted to be Giant's GM, while still with the "Boys

Have any of you guys heard this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
Hours before a big Giants-Cowboys showdown last December, then-Cowboys coach Bill Parcells sat in a car outside Giants Stadium and made it clear to the Giants that he was interested in their soon-to-be-vacated general manager's job.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ts_genera.html

I heard this story on the NFL network a few days ago, and I was appalled that Parcells would be secretly lobbying for a job with a division rival WHILE WE WERE ON THE VERGE OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. I know this was reported in January, but everyone involved denied it then.

Where's the outrage over this? if I was Jerry Jones, I'd be FNing livid.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Parcells did this before to the Patriots.

Regardless, this is Ernie Acorsi's book and Acorsi writes that Parcells "all but asked for the job."

Which mean Ernie thinks Parcells wanted it.

Parcells has not commented but it is clear he did not want to coach anymore and Jerrah was going nowhere as GM
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

Regardless of Acorsi's interpretation of Parcells intent, Parcells still (allegedly) chose to meet a Giants personnel member covertly before the game and throw his hat in the ring.

That in itself speaks volumes.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
Regardless of Acorsi's interpretation of Parcells intent, Parcells still (allegedly) chose to meet a Giants personnel member covertly before the game and throw his hat in the ring.

That in itself speaks volumes.
I would not take it so personally that Bill Parcells met with some Giant Management when in New York.

Hell he did work there and was friendly with lots of folks in the organization.

Fact is, Bill Parcells is a football god in New York. He turned around 2 franchises in New York.

He gets respect from the folks for that..... what, so he met them and said in so many words he wants the job?????????????

Whatever. Parcells wanted out of Dallas and out of coaching. Cowboys lost cause they played poorly -- not b/c Parcells met with the Mara and Tisch family. Also, they did win that Sunday.

He wants to be a GM, not a coach, and that positon is not open in Dallas. So........
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

I realize how revered Parcells is in New York. I also realize his closeness to the two NY teams.

I've always regarded Parcells as a professional, regardless of the mess with the Patriots, so it shocks me that he would have the gall to openly discuss other job options while still gunning for a playoff spot with his current team.

The NFL has rules against clubs contacting players from other teams before they are released/traded/whatever. If the NFL is indeed "holding team personnel to a higher standard" then players, then these rules should also apply to coaches etc. as well.

This just shows me that Parcells didn't have the heart to continue coaching the Cowboys, even before the December collapse. That speaks volumes to me.

Although, I'm not saying that Parcells somehow ruined this teams chance at a deep playoff run. The Cowboys have no one to blame but themselves and a shiny, slippery extra-point football.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This isn't surprising at all. Bill Parcells has a history of doing this. Thats the reason why he wasn't handed the GM job to begin with. He would probably leave in a couple of years anyway, so the lack of stability wasn't ideal.

Also, it says that if George Young (our GM) had his cellphone on him, Jim Fassell wouldve never been HC of the Giants. Parcells wouldve been coach. The owners changed their mind, but before they could reach Young, he already offered the job to Fassell. The Giants are sometimes too classy for their own good, after that happened they stuck with Fassell because they didn't want to do him dirty.

I have a feeling that if Coughlin gets fired, make no mistake, Parcells will be VERY interested in the Giants HC job. And Id love to have my boy back :). Come home Bill. Its time to come home. Theres a warm meal waiting for ya. :)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This isn't surprising at all. Bill Parcells has a history of doing this. Thats the reason why he wasn't handed the GM job to begin with. He would probably leave in a couple of years anyway, so the lack of stability wasn't ideal.

Also, it says that if George Young (our GM) had his cellphone on him, Jim Fassell wouldve never been HC of the Giants. Parcells wouldve been coach. The owners changed their mind, but before they could reach Young, he already offered the job to Fassell. The Giants are sometimes too classy for their own good, after that happened they stuck with Fassell because they didn't want to do him dirty.

I have a feeling that if Coughlin gets fired, make no mistake, Parcells will be VERY interested in the Giants HC job. And Id love to have my boy back :). Come home Bill. Its time to come home. Theres a warm meal waiting for ya. :)
If Parcells goes back to coaching, I will be very surprised. His style is too old (or too vanilla) for today's game. As a GM for the Giants (or any team) he could probably step in and be one of the best in the game for a long time.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
If Parcells goes back to coaching, I will be very surprised. His style is too old (or too vanilla) for today's game. As a GM for the Giants (or any team) he could probably step in and be one of the best in the game for a long time.
I think the vanilla thing is blown out of proportion. Theres really nothing that separated his defense from Bellichick's "complex D" in terms of Xs and Os. Bellichick just has better personnell to run it with.

Remember, Dallas had the #2 ranked D before Ellis went down. Once that 2nd passrusher went down, Dallas was never able to bounce back....until the playoff game when Carpenter flashed his potential in BP's scheme. That game the defense was back (minus James and Roy).
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
I think the vanilla thing is blown out of proportion. Theres really nothing that separated his defense from Bellichick's "complex D" in terms of Xs and Os. Bellichick just has better personnell to run it with.

Remember, Dallas had the #2 ranked D before Ellis went down. Once that 2nd passrusher went down, Dallas was never able to bounce back....until the playoff game when Carpenter flashed his potential in BP's scheme. That game the defense was back (minus James and Roy).
Could not agree with you more on BP as a coach. I just think he tired of the Dallas situation and he had some players who really did not understand (and still do not) what their job was on D.

But a 66 year old coach --- BBD, ya gotta wonder. Would it no be better to let him find a coaching staff and let him be GM. He is a great evaluator of players -- particularly those 5th round to UDFA.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A different Bill who makes his home in New England right now is more likely to be the next HC.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Pretty sure you were one of the harshest critics of BP's vanilla ways. If you're retracking on those statements, or don't want to admit to saying it at all, then fine. Interesting to see how views change when the coin flips.

I personally would not want Parcells as my coach if I were a Giants fan. The amount of changeover that would be required to switch to the 3-4 would be a major undertaking.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Pretty sure you were one of the harshest critics of BP's vanilla ways. If you're retracking on those statements, or don't want to admit to saying it at all, then fine. Interesting to see how views change when the coin flips.
Um, D-Unit, no he was not. Try re-reading some of his posts.

In fact, BBD is the one POSTER who I have seen does not talk out of both sides of his mouth.

And when he does change it -- he acknowledges it.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Although it was a big loss when we lost Ellis last year, the crumbling of our defense was during the game against the Saints. Where Sean Peyton did a great job of exposing our weaknesses. Even though it was late in the year, other teams took notice.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Um, D-Unit, no he was not. Try re-reading some of his posts.

In fact, BBD is the one POSTER who I have seen does not talk out of both sides of his mouth.

And when he does change it -- he acknowledges it.
Something you should learn...

Well, I do know that BBD is a big fan of Parcells schemes, so you're probably right. Just not sure if he was part of the group of guys that acknowledged that his schemes were turning vanilla.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

I personally would not want Parcells as my coach if I were a Giants fan. The amount of changeover that would be required to switch to the 3-4 would be a major undertaking.
Im pretty sure Ive been pretty linear in my assessment of Parcells scheme. If not, I'll eat crow for it. The only things I noticed he does differently is he favors man coverage slightly more than Bellichick, and he rarely does over/under shades, whereas Bellichick will do that once in awhile. Ive been defending his scheme for quite awhile now. Ive been critical of certain players within the scheme, but the scheme itself, Ive been pretty supportive of.

Also, the nickel defenses are a little different. But I think alot of that has to do with player personnell. The philosophy is ultimately the same, and has been for quite some time.

As for him on the Giants...my major concern would be his age. He's awfully old. But I don't think he's lost it quite honestly. My question is how much longer he can do it. I think if you guys beat Seattle last year, you wouldve went to the SB. And we wouldnt be having this discussion about how he's lost his touch. In terms of personnell, we have the LB core for it. Osi, Kiwi, Pierce and Blackburn. We'd need to redo the downlinemen, and would probably have to start off as a hybrid before making a full transition. But I think its doable. Tuck has loads of potential as well. Don't know where he would fit in this scheme though.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Although it was a big loss when we lost Ellis last year, the crumbling of our defense was during the game against the Saints. Where Sean Peyton did a great job of exposing our weaknesses. Even though it was late in the year, other teams took notice.
I agree. He definately showed the blueprint. However, I always go back to the Seattle game. That game, the defense as a whole played very well, and Holmgren tried doing many of the same things that Payton did. But the main difference in that game was Carpenter breaking out and playing like a legit pass rusher opposite of Ware. And you saw the results. The defense did not lose that game. The offense did.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Something you should learn...

Well, I do know that BBD is a big fan of Parcells schemes, so you're probably right. Just not sure if he was part of the group of guys that acknowledged that his schemes were turning vanilla.
Please point to 1 contradiction I have made. And take note of difference between I wish and I expect in my posts. very important.

Not one Parcells fan has ever said BP ran a complicated D.

In fact, BP's lack of complication is what made his D's highly successful versus the Niners, Bills and other high powered teams.

It basically relies on each player doing their assigned task and manning up. No need to **** and move and juke and fake and ......

Not gimmicks to cover up player's weaknesses -- like pretending your SS should be a linebacker by relieving him of any TE or FB coverage duties.

But BP is gone and a new set of ideas are here.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
I agree. He definately showed the blueprint.
Yeah, the blue print is make the FS, Bradie Jame and Roy Williams cover your third to fifth reads.