Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I would just like to point out...I'm sure you got it LSU but that mock I threw up was just on our biggest needs right now. How crazy is it to think we haven't had to draft a starter in 2 years if everything stands fold.
Oh, I know. In fact, I'm not opposed to a NT at all. I would put our needs at CB, WR, NT in that order right now. I also like the players you have on in your mock.

My issue is more the 'OMG what will we do if Fergie goes down' doom and gloom from Cowboy fans. Every team has those issues.

Look at the Colts. They lose Raegor, Simon and now McFarland on the DL. They drafted Pitcock in the third round, but romor has it he's not passing his physical. They did pick up Dan Klecko, but he's JAG. Do you think they are panicking? Probably not. They will still go 10+ wins this year.

I think people are underestimating (or overestimating depending on your point of view) the difference between Starters and Second Team players in the NFL. With the exception of the superstars, the difference between a first team player and a second team player isn't nearly as big as people make it out to be. That's why teams like Baltimore, New England, Philadelphia and several other teams consistantly win despite losing players to FA. Their backups are pretty good.

Some positions are different of course, but for the most part a NT or any DT for that matter isn't making a 50% improvement in your team by themselves. It's not like a QB who makes a decision every single play that affects the game greatly. NT's can be perfectly acceptable players with 30 tackles and 1 sack a year. They are there to be steady, not spectacular. It's not that hard to find steady players in the NFL.

That being said, would having a spectacular NT be a huge bonus? Of course, but I think having an average NT is just fine.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Oh, I know. In fact, I'm not opposed to a NT at all. I would put our needs at CB, WR, NT in that order right now. I also like the players you have on in your mock.

My issue is more the 'OMG what will we do if Fergie goes down' doom and gloom from Cowboy fans. Every team has those issues.

Look at the Colts. They lose Raegor, Simon and now McFarland on the DL. They drafted Pitcock in the third round, but romor has it he's not passing his physical. They did pick up Dan Klecko, but he's JAG. Do you think they are panicking? Probably not. They will still go 10+ wins this year.

I think people are underestimating (or overestimating depending on your point of view) the difference between Starters and Second Team players in the NFL. With the exception of the superstars, the difference between a first team player and a second team player isn't nearly as big as people make it out to be. That's why teams like Baltimore, New England, Philadelphia and several other teams consistantly win despite losing players to FA. Their backups are pretty good.

Some positions are different of course, but for the most part a NT or any DT for that matter isn't making a 50% improvement in your team by themselves. It's not like a QB who makes a decision every single play that affects the game greatly. NT's can be perfectly acceptable players with 30 tackles and 1 sack a year. They are there to be steady, not spectacular. It's not that hard to find steady players in the NFL.

That being said, would having a spectacular NT be a huge bonus? Of course, but I think having an average NT is just fine.
This is the key point--in order for the talent gap to be small, you have to have good/decent backups. At times, Dallas has proven to have crappy talent at backup positions. I think our overall talent level is much better than it was a few years ago--Thanks, Bill--but the idea of Ratliff or Stanley being forced to play NT scares me, as does the idea of Jacques Reeves holding down one of the top three CB spots. I think we can do better.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NT is not my forte when it comes to prospects I look at and follow through out the season. But With Scott's new rankings, BJ Raji seems to be the only guy I see that fits the mold.

6-1 340lbs

Look like he had a pretty good junior campaign with 8 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. I'm going to keep my eye on him.

Any other NT type guys you guys can tell me about?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm loving Scott's new mock with us taking Phillips and Stewart. That sure sounds dreamy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm loving Scott's new mock with us taking Phillips and Stewart. That sure sounds dreamy.
It gave me a hard on! Man... two amazing athletes.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
'backer

That draft would be amazing. Phillips is the best prospect at any position, imo, and Stewart is the most complete prospect at running back.

Last edited by 'backer : 08-06-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
NT is not my forte when it comes to prospects I look at and follow through out the season. But With Scott's new rankings, BJ Raji seems to be the only guy I see that fits the mold.

6-1 340lbs

Look like he had a pretty good junior campaign with 8 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. I'm going to keep my eye on him.

Any other NT type guys you guys can tell me about?
I'm not an expert on NTs, either. However, with this new system, our NTs won't have to be as stout. Perhaps Marcus Harrison out of Arkansas could play NT. I'll likely watch him. I also like Terrance Taylor from Michigan, who I had us drafting in my mock but he's a Junior and I'm not sure he'd come out this year.

BoneKrusher

Last edited by Staubach12 : 08-06-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
I'm not an expert on NTs, either. However, with this new system, our NTs won't have to be as stout. Perhaps Marcus Harrison out of Arkansas could play NT. I'll likely watch him. I also like Terrance Taylor from Michigan, who I had us drafting in my mock but he's a Junior and I'm not sure he'd come out this year.
Can I ask why not?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Can I ask why not?

Because the system requires more speed from all players. It's all about crashing 1 gap assignments instead of hold up your man and win the 1v1 battles. NT won't be any different. The NT by nature has to be a stout position, but in this system he will need to be less stout than in BP's system.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would be mad if we had a top 5 pick and kept it. There's just too much of a chance of messing up your team for too long with how much you have to pay a top rookie and the pressure you have to play them because you're giving them so much money. Maybe for a special player I would go along with it, but preferably I would want to be closer to 10 overall.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Because the system requires more speed from all players. It's all about crashing 1 gap assignments instead of hold up your man and win the 1v1 battles. NT won't be any different. The NT by nature has to be a stout position, but in this system he will need to be less stout than in BP's system.
...well, I guess every time Ferg shoots the gap, that'll mean more double teams for the DEs or LBs. Call me crazy, but I want our DEs and LBs facing the single coverage moreso than Ferg. Lets say he crashes the gap on a running play and misses the RB... that RB will be in our secondary immediately as the blockers that Ferg was to occupy are now leveling our LBs. Let's say he shoots the gap on a screen... another big gain.

From what I got reading quotes of Jamal Williams, he didn't sound like a one gap lineman.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the season plays out the way I think and hope it will, I see us adding some offensive firepower in the first. Having (what I predict will be) a top 5 pick will be a great opportunity to add one of those rare athletes that playoff teams never get a shot at. Not a project guy, but a day 1 starter that can come in and make an outstanding team even more unstoppable. For me, it makes a ton of sense to go after McFadden if we get the chance. I'm usually not a big believer in taking RB's that high, but then I'm usually speaking of cellar dwellers and criticizing the draft habits of teams that choose to bring in the icing before they've made the cake.

Jones is good. Barber is good. Together they form a very nice tandem, and I'd be happy to have them as a duo for years to come. However, if I could point to one starter that has the best chance of not being here next year, and doesn't already have a replacement on the roster, it's Jones. And part of that reasoning is attributable to the availability of some seriously talented potential replacements coupled with the possibility of owning the very high pick needed to attain said talent. I think Jerry will be fully aware of the potential devastation we could wreak upon opposing defenses if we were to instantly bump up the RB play a full notch. Can't really do that at most positions. I think adding a guy like McFadden to what is already one of the NFL's best offenses will make for an instant superstar. You just don't see that. You don't see talents like Adrian Peterson or Ricky Williams being drafted by the Colts. But imagine if they were. Imagine the Colts adding Reggie Bush last year. You see guys like Ronnie Brown and Ced Benson struggle for a few years before the team around them matures and helps them along to realizing their full potential, while less talented RB's at the bottom of the draft win ROY and enjoy instant success. In other words, I don't think there will be any team picking in the top 5 that would get a better McFadden than us. I think we would make the most of him, assuming the teams that are picking in that range are kinda weak.

We have our LB's. (I think) We have our QB. I don't see us going defense unless the d-line doesn't pan out like I think it will. I don't see a corner worth taking that high. I think we're set at safety. I could see a few scenarios where we might end up going OT though. I could see a Jake Long or Sam Baker in our future for sure. WR? I like Sammie, I really don't think TO and Terry will be retiring soon, and I am opposed to taking one that high anyway. Yeah, so for me, it's gonna have to be Mcfadden, Stewart, Long, Baker or Oher at this point. RB or OT if we have a top 5 pick like that. Maybe DE or NT. To me it makes a ton of sense to just go BPA (short for McFadden) with the Browns gift, and then take a look at our needs when it comes down to the (very) bottom of the 1st. I'm thinking CB will be the pick at 32. Of course, this is only how I feel today, in August for chrissakes. I'm sure I'll waffle all season long. For all we know, Romo could tank and we might end up with BJ as our starter and find ourselves selecting Andre Woodson. But I'm just going off how I think things will play out.

*I could also see Stewart's stock rising steadily over the course of the season, and I obviously wouldn't be opposed to selecting him with a premium pick. But if you replace the word McFadden with Stewart in this post, then it goes from warp-speed homerism to ludicrous-speed homerism. And honestly at this point I do think McFadden is clearly the better prospect, and I imagine Jerry is a bit more interested in him as well. I really believe he's destined for Dallas.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brushing up on my NT prospects, another one:

Antonio Dixon(Miami Huuricanes, JR)
6-3 335

Quote:
"..Reminds some observers of former Huricanes star Vince Wilfork. Hard-working big player who can run and has fine technique that he honed over the past year in prep school. Has good size and strength and showed excellent balance for a player his size. Gets a strong push on the defensive front...."
Quote:
...Dixon has great lateral movement. Super work ethic off the field. At this stage, a terrific run stopper..
Stats are not very impressive because of limited reps. But another guy I'll be keepin my eye on.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tell ya, I just watched a highlight vid of McFadden, and I know I'm not breaking new ground here, but he is amazing.

I may get grilled for saying this, but he looks even more explosive than Reggie Bush.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was looking through some 2008 draft stuff today and I couldn't help but think.

Our biggest hole at this point in the season is CB. We have been calling for one for awhile. We should be picking in the 20's. CB talent seems to be up in the air at this point but doesn't look like any of the top guys are in the elite catagory. So I started thinking if with our second pick in the first round who would be a good bet. I started by looking at size and style of play. Two names that immediately popped into mind were Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib. Talib looks like a boarderline first rounder at this point. And Jenkins looks a bit lanky to me. And then it struck me.....Zack Bowman.

Here we are talking about a guy who is either injury prone or has a case of bad luck. The combine gives us a small idea about some things that lead to being an injury prone player. So the more I thought about it I really set my mind on bad luck. Well after doing some more research I was getting really excited.

Here we are going to be sitting with two corners 30 years old or older. We have good special team corners behind them but we really need to start looking for a guy for the future.

Bowman could possibly be back for the Oct. 6th game. And I don't really think it matters how he plays because he'll likely recieve an invite to the senior bowl if healthy...which is what will really matter for him. If he shows that he still has that 4.4 speed and can be that physical pressence. I think he is a perfect fit. Reminds me of a Cromartie type of situation. And yes Bowman does have those type of measurables.

Start me on the Zack Bowman track.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was looking through some 2008 draft stuff today and I couldn't help but think.

Our biggest hole at this point in the season is CB. We have been calling for one for awhile. We should be picking in the 20's. CB talent seems to be up in the air at this point but doesn't look like any of the top guys are in the elite catagory. So I started thinking if with our second pick in the first round who would be a good bet. I started by looking at size and style of play. Two names that immediately popped into mind were Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib. Talib looks like a boarderline first rounder at this point. And Jenkins looks a bit lanky to me. And then it struck me.....Zack Bowman.

Here we are talking about a guy who is either injury prone or has a case of bad luck. The combine gives us a small idea about some things that lead to being an injury prone player. So the more I thought about it I really set my mind on bad luck. Well after doing some more research I was getting really excited.

Here we are going to be sitting with two corners 30 years old or older. We have good special team corners behind them but we really need to start looking for a guy for the future.

Bowman could possibly be back for the Oct. 6th game. And I don't really think it matters how he plays because he'll likely recieve an invite to the senior bowl if healthy...which is what will really matter for him. If he shows that he still has that 4.4 speed and can be that physical pressence. I think he is a perfect fit. Reminds me of a Cromartie type of situation. And yes Bowman does have those type of measurables.

Start me on the Zack Bowman track.
I heard Bowman actually played a little this week in the win against Nevada
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:36 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I heard Bowman actually played a little this week in the win against Nevada
Really...thats good news I didn't even watch/hear about the game I can't imagine he is anywhere near 100% tho.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really...thats good news I didn't even watch/hear about the game I can't imagine he is anywhere near 100% tho.
Me Neither but if he was well enough to get on the field that's always great news
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

After doing some further research he did play. However he didn't start and won't until he is a little further along in his recovery and up to a higher game speed. Pretty impressive work either too come back this fast.

Designs by me
Quote: