Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Good teams find ways to win close games. Really...don't undersell the value of this win.

We appreciate that. Especially after you said you'd give Philly ten points. lol. I don't blame you though. We would have folded and lost this game this time last year.

This win is as big as it gets for the first week of the season. It gets even bigger if we win next week.

I thought that if we either won this game or came out winning more than losing in the first 4-5 weeks of the season we'd have a good shot at the playoffs barring injury to some of our best players.
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense-
QB-Favre had an average day with a couple of great plays. Any other QB would have never have been able to make that 3rd and 12 into positive yards let alone a first down. He was 23/42 with over 200 yards but he made some poor throws with an interception and no TDs. B-

RB-Where to start. Just a very poor game from them. We could not get anything going on the ground all game. We were without Morency which is basically half our running game. Jackson wasn't drafted to carry the full load this year. From the beginning the plan was to use both of them about equally. No Morency along with Herron on IR forced Jackson to be in pretty much the whole game, even split out at WR too. Their recieving is the only thing that's keeping me from giving them an F. Infact Jackson and Wynn's caught for more yards than we got on the ground. D

WR-Not a big game from anyone here either. Not a terrible game, but nothing special. Getting Jennings back should help take coverage off of Driver and give Favre another option. Speaking of Driver he was getting held plenty of times, but it never got called. C

TE-Once again nothing special. Were effective in blocking and got a couple catches. Bubba really should have broken up that INT though. C+

OL-I don't know what was going on here. Defenders were getting into the backfield all day long. Even when Philly was only bringing the front four they were penetrating. Favre had guys in his face everytime he dropped back to pass, and they got no push on runs. As unipressive as Jackson was they have to take just as much blame. D

Defense-
DL-Great game from the big men. Only one sack, but they did their job. With the rotation inside, all of them having different skill sets, it's going to be hard for offensive lineman to stop them. Kampman brought pressure and came back to make some big tackles. Jenkins was solid, much better than KGB against the run. I think they stopped Westbrook pretty well. Also how about Mr. Jolly with 3 pass deflections. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an INT by the end of the year like he did last preseason. A

LB-Good game from them. Barnett racked up 13 tackles and and a nice interception. None of them really made a mistake in the game. Not much else to say here, but did anyone else notice that Hawk lined up on the line in a 3 point for a couple plays. Also we had Pickett drop into coverage once. A

CB-Woodson and Harris look to match what they did last year. Even when Harris had to comeout we were still pretty good here. Bush looked better than Ahmad Carroll ever did. When Harris left they brought 4 wide and tried to pass all over our inexperienced corners, but it didn't work too well for them. The only thing keeping me from giving them an A is they let Avant make some key catches. B+

S-I think there is one thing that everyone can agree on, Atari Bigby>>>Marquand Manuel. His first ever NFL start was better than any game Manuel had. take for instance one of those Avant catches. Avant beat Tramon Williams, but Bigby ran over to knock him out of bounds to save the TD. Manuel would have just let him walk into the endzone. Collins was also alright just missing an interception. B

Special Teams-A
It might have been more of the Eagles ST sucking, but still we wouldn't have won without some key special teams plays. 2 recovered punts with one for our only TD of the day. Also kick coverage was much better than last year. The return game could have been better, but it should be once Blackmon gets back there. Ryan was good on punts pinning them back most times. Crosby was money, definitely the right choice for kicker.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the rotation helped the DLine alot, cuz we looked fresh late in the game

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
I think the rotation helped the DLine alot, cuz we looked fresh late in the game
Yeah, it'll always help whenever you can have that much talent being rotated in for different game situations that favor the style of the players. I'm definitely interested in how it will play out throughout the rest of the year. Could be a stellar defense at times.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defensive line looked great. They had a lot of pressure on McNabb. Unfortunately they weren't able to bring him down that often.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Our run defense is going to be incredible this year. We just held one of the NFL's top O-line/RB to 3.7 yards per carry (they ran at a 4.8 clip last year).
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804 View Post
Our run defense is going to be incredible this year. We just held one of the NFL's top O-line/RB to 3.7 yards per carry (they ran at a 4.8 clip last year).
Meh..it was just one game. You can't project like that. It's the same as saying that your offense is going to be terrible all year long and you'll only win games on special teams mistakes.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

I'm taking into account this game and the last four games of last season, or as I like to call it, "The Cullen Jenkins Era." I'm also basing it off the fact that Jenkins (303), Pickett (322), Jolly (312), and Kampman (270) are all built to stop the run. Poppinga and Hawk, both listed at 247, are also good run stoppers. Barnett pursues well. Collins and Bigby love to hit. I don't know, I just got a feeling...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with the analysis GB

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing bad i noticed about this game...

If we want to keep winning we have to stop relying on only the quick slant or pass in almost every key medium yardage passing situation. It obviously works really well, and you could say Favre and Driver have pretty much mastered it. But teams are gonna start taking that away with proper planning and i even noticed near the end of the game that Philly had a LB out on the corner to jam DD on a 3rd down. The pass was incomplete.

One play that we need to get better at is the HB Screen, which used to be our best play. It would have been perfect against Philly because they like to blitz alot. The Pack tried to use it a couple times today and it ended in a bad o-line mistakes and some short yardage.

Also, a play that usually works for us that i would like to se used more is a Brett Favre rollout to either side and he just passes it to a WR coming accross the field or one doing some sort of hook.

If they can just improve their success ratio on 3rd and 6-10 it would also translate to their red zone offense.

I did love it when MM took a few chances and had the receivers doing flys or double moves on third down. I thought for sure James Jones had a TD on that 1 play. Favre is usually hits that.

One thing that impressed me in Favre's performances was how smart he was with the ball. He didn't throw into as much double and triple coverage as he usually does. He was also pretty accurate for the most part.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing I loved today was back to back plays when Brett Favre made "Brett Favre" plays with the shovel pass to Wynn and the getting shoved down, sidearm pass to I believe Martin

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we definitly need to improve in the redzone

Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
LB-Good game from them. Barnett racked up 13 tackles and and a nice interception. None of them really made a mistake in the game. Not much else to say here, but did anyone else notice that Hawk lined up on the line in a 3 point for a couple plays. Also we had Pickett drop into coverage once. A
Good write-up.
Yeah I saw that with Hawk, I think they're taking a page from defenses like Baltimore and New England where you do odd things and let your guys freelance and try to take advantage of their playmaking ability in any way possible. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea that Hawk was lined up at tackle but it was in shotgun and it couldn't really hurt us. I'd rather have him coming off the edge but with a QB like McNabb who avoids almost everybody he would've gotten away. I think it was to throw them off more than anything.

I noticed a D Tackle drop into coverage once but couldn't see the number, I thought it was Jenkins

Another thing I noticed was Kampman rushing standing up in our nickel or dime package for one play. He did this for one play in the preseason Steelers game also, pretty cool twist.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
Good write-up.
Yeah I saw that with Hawk, I think they're taking a page from defenses like Baltimore and New England where you do odd things and let yours guys freelance and try to take advantage of their playmaking ability. I don't necessarily it's a good thing that Hawk was lined up at tackle but it was in shotgun and it couldn't really hurt us. I'd rather have him coming off the edge but with a QB like McNabb who avoids almost everybody he would've gotten away. I think it was to throw them off more than anything.

I noticed a D Tackle drop into coverage once but couldn't see the number, I thought it was Jenkins

Another thing I noticed was Kampman rushing standing up in our nickel or dime package for one play. He did this for one play in the preseason Steelers game also, pretty cool twist.
I was thinking it was Jenkins since he's a better athelete, but I thought I saw 79. I know it was 70s number, but 79 is what it looked like.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I was thinking it was Jenkins since he's a better athelete, but I thought I saw 79. I know it was 70s number, but 79 is what it looked like.
it was jenkins
pickett is too fat to cover :)

Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

When I watch the game again I'll make sure to check it out if nobody else does or it isn't pointed out in an article or something.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It might have been Jolly. He had a couple pass break ups.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
It might have been Jolly. He had a couple pass break ups.
I know for a fact that it was in the 70s, so either Jenkins or Pickett.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
CARDIAC CAT 7
Rookie

CARDIAC CAT 7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That analysis was perfect, Green Bay might have the deepest most talented D-Line in the NFL, which is good. The scary part is Justin Harrell didnt get PT yet, hopefully that wasnt a waisted pick.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A win is a win and I'll definitely take it, but this was the definition of winning ugly.

Our defense was everything we hoped and thought they'd be, and with the exception of a few blown plays, I couldn't be any happier about how they played. This is gonna be a fun D to watch for the foreseeable future. It was frustrating though that they just couldn't seem to get McNabb down. But just think of the havoc they'll wreak against far less elusive QB's.

Now, as for our offense.... yikes. What can you say, it was terrible. Besides a few vintage Favre plays and some tough catches by Driver we were completely ineffective.

Personally I was not very happy with McCarthy's play calling. He vowed to be more balanced this year but instead went right back to his pass happy ways. Now, I know we don't have the best running game, but he has to atleast give it a chance to develop or it will never produce. A 43/17 pass/run game plan looks an awful lot like our play calling from last year. I understand that we do alot of short pass routes, but I'm worried that when we keep going 3 and out in a matter of minutes it won't matter how good our defense plays if they can't get off the field. There were a number of situations when we had a 2nd and short and a 1st down could have easily been picked up with a run or two, but instead we threw 2 incomplete passes and gave the ball right back. We also need to get the run established just to take some pressure off of Brett to make plays. Only 3 times in the entire game did GB run on back to back consecutive plays.

We won the game with special teams, or maybe more accurately the Eagles lost it with special teams, but either way it was nice to see some improvement in that unit.

Game ball definitely goes to Crosby. This guy is clutch and I'm still amazed that several other kickers were taken before him in the draft. But hey, their loss is our gain! I look forward to a long successful career for this guy.

All in all this was a huge win for us though and hopefully something we can build off of.

Go Pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
A win is a win and I'll definitely take it, but this was the definition of winning ugly.

Our defense was everything we hoped and thought they'd be, and with the exception of a few blown plays, I couldn't be any happier about how they played. This is gonna be a fun D to watch for the foreseeable future. It was frustrating though that they just couldn't seem to get McNabb down. But just think of the havoc they'll wreak against far less elusive QB's.

Now, as for our offense.... yikes. What can you say, it was terrible. Besides a few vintage Favre plays and some tough catches by Driver we were completely ineffective.

Personally I was not very happy with McCarthy's play calling. He vowed to be more balanced this year but instead went right back to his pass happy ways. Now, I know we don't have the best running game, but he has to atleast give it a chance to develop or it will never produce. A 43/17 pass/run game plan looks an awful lot like our play calling from last year. I understand that we do alot of short pass routes, but I'm worried that when we keep going 3 and out in a matter of minutes it won't matter how good our defense plays if they can't get off the field. There were a number of situations when we had a 2nd and short and a 1st down could have easily been picked up with a run or two, but instead we threw 2 incomplete passes and gave the ball right back. We also need to get the run established just to take some pressure off of Brett to make plays. Only 3 times in the entire game did GB run on back to back consecutive plays.

We won the game with special teams, or maybe more accurately the Eagles lost it with special teams, but either way it was nice to see some improvement in that unit.

Game ball definitely goes to Crosby. This guy is clutch and I'm still amazed that several other kickers were taken before him in the draft. But hey, their loss is our gain! I look forward to a long successful career for this guy.

All in all this was a huge win for us though and hopefully something we can build off of.

Go Pack!
Yes I would prefer a more balanced offense, and I'm sure McCarthy would too, but I'm not going to question his play calling. We could not establish the run early and when you can't do that you're going to have a hard time getting it at all. They were locked on to Jackson and we had no other options. Next week with Morency back I expect a lot more running. Plus the Giants defense is a big step down from Philly's.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

BTW was that Jarrett Bush making plays on punts and forcing fumbles
also Ryan did a great job with hangtime

Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Giants defense is getting torched tonight. With Jennings back we should be able to pass all over them.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad that Crosby has already paid off for you guys. I was upset that he dropped so far and hoped that the Broncos would take him as Elam's successor... he's money and has one hell of a leg (kicked a perfect 58 yarder in Miami two years ago)!

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote