Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC West Division Forum

NFC West Division Forum Discuss the NFC West

Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.
Default NFC West trash-talking thread (aka the seahawks are better than your team thread)

Keep in mind the following rules:

2. Do not personally attack another member.
a) You should be capable of disagreeing without calling someone else an idiot.
b) You should attack ideas and arguments with your own arguments and supporting evidence. Calling someone's idea moronic without bothering to say why is grounds for a warning.

15. No "trolling".
a) Do not post in threads with the sole intent of provoking other board members.
b) If you don't have some legitimate information to add to a debate or thread, don't bother hitting submit.
c) Any posts submitted with the clear intention of provoking other board members will not be tolerated.

Rule 15b needs to be emphasized. Posts like "Team A is better than Team B" or "Team A will win the super bowl and Team B will go 0-16" are grounds for an infraction.

With that said, let the trash talking begin.

The St. Louis Rams are not going to be any better this season. They still havent solved their abysmal run defense (unless you count a rookie DE/DT hybrid a solution, which would be very premature seeing as he hasnt even played in a regular season game yet), which will directly lead to another 7-9 or 8-8 season.

Now onto why the Seahawks are the best team in the NFC west, and are definitely up there for the best team in the NFC. To start off, I will quote a Bill Simmons article (Simmons is the only good writer on ESPN).

Quote:
Everyone is sleeping on these guys. They finished 9-7 during a season when nearly everything went wrong; now they're healthy and happy; they dumped their clubhouse cancer guys; they added a pass rusher (Patrick Kerney) and an overqualified defensive assistant (Jim Mora Jr., who nearly made the Super Bowl 30 months ago); they're playing in one of the easiest divisions (the NFC West); and they'll probably be favored in every 2007 game except Pittsburgh in Week 5 and Philly in Week 12. And it's not like they haven't done it before. Throw in their homefield advantage and skill position guys and they seem like the safest bet in the NFC. So why can you currently get 25-to-1 Super Bowl odds for them in Vegas? Because it's no fun to pick the Seahawks. They've been there before, they play in a smaller market, they have a bald quarterback, their uniforms are boring, their best player is boring, their coach looks like he should be wearing a sheriff's outfit and buying donuts, and if you say you've met more than three Seahawks fans in your entire life and you're not from Seattle, you're lying. Really, the only thing that stands out about them is their crowd. Switch their roster with Dallas' roster and they'd be 7-to-1 odds right now. Since they're in Seattle, nobody cares yet. But you will. Give it a couple of months.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...7&sportCat=nfl

To add on, the Seahawk defense is the best in the offensive-oriented NFC West, and is only getting better with age. Brandon Mebane, Darryl Tapp, Baraka Atkins, Craig Terrell, LeRoy Hill, Lofa Tatupu, Marcus Trufant, Kelly Jennings, Josh Wilson, and Jordan Babineaux are all starters or get a decent amount of playing time and are all young, solid players. Their pass rush is superb, with great blitzing linemen and linebackers. With the great running backs in the NFC West, the run support is what the big emphasis is on. The seahawks do not have a great run defense (but then again, neither do any of the other NFC west teams), but it is solid. Bryce Fischer and Patrick Kerney are good run-stopping DE's, we have a good rotation of 5 solid DT's which will keep each one fresh, and our linebackers are arguably the best in the NFL. The hawks defense looks good this year.

The offense is undeniably excellent this year. Hasselbeck and Alexander are both healthy, the best offensive linemen in the NFL is still starting at left tackle, and despite losing Darrell Jackson, our WR corps has improved. The offensive line was the major concern last year, but I feel that this year we are solid at OL. Walter Jones is starting at LT, so the left side is fine. It doesnt hurt that Rob Sims is at LG, and he has been great so far and will only improve. Chris Spencer at C has franchise center written all over him. RG Chris Gray is ok, but he's our weak link. RT Sean Locklear is very underrated and has quick feet, he should hold his own. The group of WR's is excellent. There is no other team in the NFL that could afford to put Nate Burleson at 4th string WR.

Great backfield + Solid O-line + Great WR's = Great offense
Great offense + Good defense = SB contender.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
Everyone pwns the Rams.

Last edited by Tubby : 09-08-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams = 1st in the NFC West and Superbowl Champions

Seahawks = 0-16

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 AM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just wanted to thank any seahawks fans for D-Jax

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
Great backfield + Solid O-line + Great WR's = Great offense
Great offense + Good defense = SB contender.
I see we're using the words: Great, Good, and Solid pretty loosely here.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, here is how I would rank the offenses.

1. Rams
2. Cardinals
3. Seahawks
4. 49ers, this is not a diss on the 49ers. All the teams in this division have great offenses. The Rams have the best QB and RB in the division, so I have to give them #1. The Cardinals have the best WR core in the division with Boldin and Fitzgerald, they get #2. The Seahawks have the best line in the division, so they get #3. But the 49ers have a good offense, don't get me wrong.

Defense, this is much harder
1. 49ers
2. Seahawks
3. Rams
4. Cardinals
This was really hard. I said all of us have great offenses, its just the opposite, we have very mediocre at best with the exception of the 49ers, who I think have a good defense. The 49ers are young and a great defensive coach, so they get #1. The Seahawks have Kearney and Tatupu and other defensive stars, they get #2. And really the Rams and Cards were a toss up, I am biased, so I didn't have a coin toss, I just gave it to the Rams.

With that being said, Tubby is a homer. The Seahawks time was the last couple of years. This year, the division is the Rams'. However, next year and for the next few years, it will be the 49ers, I really believe so. Alex Smith getting a year under his belt without Norv, and a year with a o coordinator that doesn't leave. I think the 49ers are a year away. The Cardinals? They scare me, they have a great offense with Leinart, James, Fitzgerald, and Boldin. And like with the Rams, if the defense improves and the o-line performs under Grimm, lordy, the Cards can be good. So this is how I see the division finishing.

1. Rams, great offense, defense does enough to get us in the playoffs cuz this division is open.
2. 49ers, could very well get a wild card, have the best defense in the division, and if the offense plays well, they could very well be #1 in the division. And no, Frank Gore is not as good as SJax, whoever said that.
3. Seahawks, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, they had their time, they had their super bowl, they won the NFC, their window closed, as Sean Salsberry said.
4. Cardianals, most of my predictions are wrong, so they will prolly win the division, but as I said before, I could defntly see them winning this division. I will not be shocked at all if any of these teams win this division, and I will notbe shocked if the 49ers and Cards finish 1,2 and the Seahawks and Rams finish 3,4. I will not be shocked with anything that happens with this division.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't really talk any trash, so here it goes.

Seahawks:Ur time was last year and a couple of years. U didn't get the Lombardi trophy back to the Pacific northwest. But wait a minute, the refs gave the Steelers 11 points. The refs are the reason u guys lost? Are u kidding me? Another thing, are u guys gonna give the Rams fans hope again this year. How about u guys save Yodachu's heart and blow us out or something. If u guys want Josh Brown to live, u will not do the same as last year.

49ers:Frank Gore better than Steven Jackson? Are u kidding me? There is a reason why people are picking him to be a sleeper for an MVP. There is a reason why people are taking him #2 in fantasy drafts. There are reasons why people say he could very well get 2,500 yards. Its because he is the 3rd best RB in the league, some say #2. Gore is prolly 4th, but he is not better than Jackson.

Cardinals:I have a problem with your nickname, so change it. The real Cardinals are in baseball. They are world champions and they have the second most world series wins ever. U guys are one of the worst franchises in all of sports. Whens the last time u've been in the playoffs? Was I born yet? Okay, I was, but no one remembers who loses in the 1st round, especially to the Vikings.

The Rams are the class of this division, hell the class of the NFC along with the Buccaneers. Since we are the last two teams from the NFC to win the super bowl this millenium and century. So good day.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

yoda, with the offenses list, I think you are FAR undervaluing the importance of OL. People say the Cards have a fantastic offense because they're strong at all the skill positions (with the exception of TE and maybe QB depending on how Leinart develops), but the entire left side of the OL is still pretty bad, IMO. Lutui and Levi Brown on the right are a good start, Russ Grimm is a good coach, but I don't see any way 'Zona has a front five better than that of the Rams, 'Hawks, or Niners, and that should push them down the list some.

Defensively-- eh, it's an okay list, but I think I'd tweak it to look like this:
1) Seahawks
2) Niners
3) Cardinals
4) Rams

Obviously, I think the Niners defense is on the right track, but for this season, the team is bringing in so many new starters that it could take time for them to gel. Also, the DL isn't exactly stellar. The Seahawks, meanwhile, have a pretty decent D with all the important parts returning plus the addition of Kerney. As for the Rams, until they show me that an undersized nose tackle (Carriker) and an undersized backup LB (Draft) are enough to turn around the worst Run Defense in the league, I think they have to be at the bottom of this list.

ETA: On Jackson v. Gore-- there's no doubt Jackson has more talent than Gore. He's bigger, stronger, and probably faster. He's also likely a better receiver out of the backfield.

But I don't think you can underestimate Gore's grit, intensity as a team leader, vision, and cutback ability. And given his life story and the way he plays the game, I'm not sure if there's ever been an easier guy to root for.

Still, if I'm being unbiased, I think Jackson probably is the better back. But I also think the Niners have the better, and deeper OL. In any case, to me, they're both great, and debating who's better is kind of pointless. Any team (other than San Diego with LT) would be overjoyed to have either on their roster.

Last edited by stl9erfan : 09-08-2007 at 01:19 PM.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

I hate the "seahawks window is closed" argument. Here is a list of starters we have that are over 30 years old:

LT Walter Jones
RG Chris Gray
TE Marcus Pollard
FB Mack Strong
QB Matt Hasselbeck
DT Chuck Darby

That is six out of 22 starters over the age of 30. Only one of whom is on defense. This means that 16 of our 22 starters are either in their prime or approaching it.

The window for the seahawks isnt closing; its more open than its ever been.

Now for trash-talking.

St. Louis: Your defense is so terrible, Oakland would score 21+ points against you.

Arizona: Tell your GM we arent playing Madden. Good skill players does not automatically mean good team.

San Francisco: Thank you for a fourth round pick. D-Jack was good because of his chemistry with Hasselbeck. Have fun with an average WR who is injured half the year.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Everyone pwns the Rams.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hate the "seahawks window is closed" argument. Here is a list of starters we have that are over 30 years old:

LT Walter Jones
RG Chris Gray
TE Marcus Pollard
FB Mack Strong
QB Matt Hasselbeck
DT Chuck Darby

That is six out of 22 starters over the age of 30. Only one of whom is on defense. This means that 16 of our 22 starters are either in their prime or approaching it.

The window for the seahawks isnt closing; its more open than its ever been.

Now for trash-talking.

St. Louis: Your defense is so terrible, Oakland would score 21+ points against you.

Arizona: Tell your GM we arent playing Madden. Good skill players does not automatically mean good team.

San Francisco: Thank you for a fourth round pick. D-Jack was good because of his chemistry with Hasselbeck. Have fun with an average WR who is injured half the year.
Being young doesn't mean your in your prime or approaching it. Being in your prime doesn't even mean your good. You listed people who are or over 30.. You failed to mention Shaun Alexander and Bobby Engram. Ashworth and Peterson are 29 pushing 30.

As for DJax.. Thanks! He was average a WR, who was injured half the year(I don't think we play 26 games a season), and STILL got more yards and TDs than the 3 scrubs he left to play the position. Have fun Seahawks.

Last edited by YAYareaRB : 09-08-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Being young doesn't mean your in your prime or approaching it. Being in your prime doesn't even mean your good. You listed people who are or over 30.. You failed to mention Shaun Alexander and Bobby Engram. Ashworth and Peterson are 29 pushing 30.

As for DJax.. Thanks! He was average a WR, who was injured half the year(I don't think we play 26 games a season), and STILL got more yards and TDs than the 3 scrubs he left to play the position. Have fun Seahawks.
Shaun Alexander is 30, Bobby Engram and Tom Ashworth arent starters, and Peterson is still under 30.

As for D-Jack (I dont know where you niners fans got DJax), the reason for his success was the great chemistry he had with Hasselbeck. Without that chemistry, he will be an average WR who's injured half the year.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Everyone pwns the Rams.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Shaun Alexander is 30, Bobby Engram and Tom Ashworth arent starters, and Peterson is still under 30.

As for D-Jack (I dont know where you niners fans got DJax), the reason for his success was the great chemistry he had with Hasselbeck. Without that chemistry, he will be an average WR who's injured half the year.
What does that say about your WRs on your team if he's just average?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
What does that say about your WRs on your team if he's just average?
You havent been paying attention, have you?

The reason Darrell Jackson was so good on the seahawks was the chemistry he had with Matt Hasselbeck. He most likely wont have the same chemistry with Alex Smith, and certainly not in his first year. Without that chemistry, he will just be an average WR who has injury problems.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Everyone pwns the Rams.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You havent been paying attention, have you?

The reason Darrell Jackson was so good on the seahawks was the chemistry he had with Matt Hasselbeck. He most likely wont have the same chemistry with Alex Smith, and certainly not in his first year. Without that chemistry, he will just be an average WR who has injury problems.
It sounds like your hoping and wishing they won't have chemistry when in reality.. That's about all they had since he's been signed. Just sit back Tubby, while the rest of the NFC West runs wild all over the Seahawks this year.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i personally like both Sjax and Gore...and of course Gore more. I admire the kind of heart Gore has for the game....i read that he was hysterically crying when he signed his extension, shows he rly cares. Hes over come many obstacles in life and has come out on top...i full-heartedly respect that.

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cardinals are gonna win the divison, we we're 4-2 in the divison last year and this year we will sweep you all

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Cardinals are gonna win the divison, we we're 4-2 in the divison last year and this year we will sweep you all
Tell that to Nate Clements and the gang..

Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anquan will be sure to send Nate the message, its almost been 3 years since the 49ers have beat the Cardinals

Last edited by fenikz : 09-10-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Anquan will be sure to send Nate the message, its almost been 3 years since the 49ers have beat the Cardinals
Yeah.. But, we can't live on the past. They better be running streaks all day because if anyone has the balls to cross the middle, they might get asses handed to 'em by the Lewis'. Ask Tubby and Deion Branch how that feels ahahahahaha

Old 09-10-2007, 01:54 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

it seems you forget too easily

Anquan Boldin is a Grown Ass Man

Last edited by fenikz : 09-10-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

The Rams are the worst team in the league.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Actually they shut out the Raiders last season.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
it seems you forget too easily

Anquan Boldin is a Grown Ass Man

Didn't look like one tonight. Kinda looked like this:

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

We are the worst team in this division.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, with whisenhunt's new offense, looks like i better get rid of anquan boldin on my fantasy team