Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Okay here's how I see it...

Once Byron takes over Michael Jenkins stats are going to improve dramatically. Why? Byron likes big bodied WRs, he's used to them, so he'll trust him and give him the ball.

I also think it will be at least 2 weeks until we see Byron take the helm but I think there will be a lot of pressure if Joey doesn't perform in the dome this week to have Byron start next week. I want to see Byron get the playbook down ASAP so Bobby will have options. Byron is a 59% passer but the season when he passed the most he was 60.5% so that's solid, and I think that he'll get 5% boost here in Bobby's system, so a 64% passer should be plenty to win, especially when he'll take some shots down field, unlike Joey. I think Joey may just be playing too scared because he's afraid to lose his job, he's afraid to throw INTs...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Byron is by far the superior QB to Harrington. I just question whether the O-Line will keep him upright and healthy.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I think Byron is by far the superior QB to Harrington. I just question whether the O-Line will keep him upright and healthy.
Im gonna have to disagree. Leftwich is slow in both his throwing mechanics and speed. To me, Harrington is the superior QB granted neither should be starting in the NFL. With that said Atlanta needs a change and Leftwich is that change, even though I think they would be beter off giving a some what no name QB a chance.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Im gonna have to disagree. Leftwich is slow in both his throwing mechanics and speed. To me, Harrington is the superior QB granted neither should be starting in the NFL. With that said Atlanta needs a change and Leftwich is that change, even though I think they would be beter off giving a some what no name QB a chance.
That's ridiculous. Lefwich has an 80-passer rating career mark and had a 3:1 TD/INT ratio not too long ago. Harrington has a passer rating in the sixties. Leftwich didn't live up to potential, sure, but he's better than Harrington.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Leftwich has a problematic throwing motion, fine. That's a problem. If he were Peyton Manning, we wouldn't have picked him up for free.

However, where it really matters for a QB is in the head. Harrington has shown that he just doesn't have it. We'd hoped for a rebirth - it didn't happen, his brain is fried. There's nothing wrong with Leftwich's head. He has problems with his arm and ankle, those we can deal with.

Incidentally, as I show in the LT thread, the O-line isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. Sure, Leftwich will take some hits. But he'll save himself a LOT of hits by making the read, the quick decision, a lot faster than Harrington. Also, hopefully he'll have the guts to take on the deep ball, which will open up the running game a little, which will itself help the short-to-mid passing game.

Our bye game is not til week 8. It may be that we won't see Leftwich til then. I don't have a problem with that. It's not like we're seriously competing this year. I'd much rather give Leftwich a real chance to come in and succeed, than rush him in and throw him to the wolves.

By week 9, hopefully the O-line will have got its recognition problems sorted, which will itself ease the transition. Then we'll get a full 9 games to determine whether Leftwich has a legitimate chance at being a long-term fix, or if we need an answer in the 2008 draft.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

It depends on how Harrington performs in the Georgia Dome this week. If he stinks up the joint we may see Leftwich sooner rather than later.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not so sure the WRs in atlanta will see much of a boost in stats because besides jimmy smith leftwich has never done much to help his WRs in that area
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
It depends on how Harrington performs in the Georgia Dome this week. If he stinks up the joint we may see Leftwich sooner rather than later.
You're right, Petrino may have to stick him in out of pure desperation. But I'd really much prefer him to wait. Even if it means losing 5 or 6 games on the way to the bye week, I'd rather give Leftwich a real chance to show what he's got, rather than forcing him to learn the playbook at the same time as taking the hits.