Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Yeah. And then plenty of haters will pile up... woohoo. I can't wait.
Have you seen other Saints forums? I just can't take it anymore, everyone is turning on each other even respectable posters are dragging themselves down in emotional angst. There are stories of Saints fans at the Dome fighting each other, and throwing bottles. It's truly a bad time.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't think it's time to panic yet for the Saints.

They have the bye week to regroup, to move on from Duece and gameplan around Bush as their full-time back (good things will happen when Reggie touches the ball 20 times a game). Less power running, more spread offense imo, get Lance Moore on the field (is it just me or is he the best receiver not named Colston on the roster right now?) and spread those defenses out for Bush and Brees to attack.

Most importantly, the biggest focus should be on the offensive line, it's killing the offense with its play and penalties. Now that Bush is staying on the field instead of having to leave, the Saints can think about running more no-huddle to try to wear opposing defenses down, helping their athletic-but-not-mauling offensive linemen out some as we saw on at least one of the Saints' scoring drives tonight. The Saints fortunately have the veteran quarterback in Drew Brees who can handle it.

The schedule is still favorable for them to win the wild card, if not the division (seriously). The next game is a division game against Carolina in Week 5, there's a great chance to not only get the first win but also a division win which is doubly important.

Last edited by Geo : 09-25-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Have you seen other Saints forums? I just can't take it anymore, everyone is turning on each other even respectable posters are dragging themselves down in emotional angst. There are stories of Saints fans at the Dome fighting each other, and throwing bottles. It's truly a bad time.
SaintsReport.com? Man, I haven't been there after our first game against the Colts. And even the other Saints forums I visit that I love is in pretty bad shape right now.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I really don't think it's time to panic yet for the Saints.

They have the bye week to regroup, to move on from Duece and gameplan around Bush as their full-time back (good things will happen when Reggie touches the ball 20 times a game). Less power running, more spread offense imo, get Lance Moore on the field (is it just me or is he the best receiver not named Colston on the roster right now?) and spread those defenses out for Bush and Brees to attack.

Most importantly, the biggest focus should be on the offensive line picking up its play, they have to. Now that Bush is staying on the field instead of having to leave, the Saints can think about running more no-huddle to try to wear opposing defenses down, helping their athletic-but-not-maulers offensive linemen out some as we saw on at least one of the Saints' scoring drives tonight The Saints fortunately have the veteran quarterback in Drew Brees who can handle it.

The schedule is still favorable for them to win the wild card, if not the division (seriously). The next game is a division game against Carolina in Week 5, there's a great chance to not only get the first win but also a division win which is doubly important.
Goddamn, Geo. You have more faith than any Saint fan on this board (or any other board) has. Kudos to you, but it will take a miracle for us to start to turn our fortunes around. I'm already debating on Dorsey/Long/Baker.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Saints showed me signs of life/improvement tonight, admittedly moreso on the offense. They're getting better, though work is still needed. If I had one major area of concern, it's how bad Brees' mechanics were for most of the game, but I can directly point to the constant pressure in his face which constantly got him off his spot, a recipe for defensive success against any quarterback.

I really hated this match-up for the Saints, I knew the Titans would give them fits. I see these guys twice a year, I saw them a week ago with Haynesworth finally living up to his potential because he's in a contract year. It's hard to run on these guys, and they can hurt you dropping back in coverage when they know you're one-dimensional (hence 4 interceptions for Drew Brees tonight). Keep in mind they'd be even better if they had Pac-man Jones, who more often than not can shut down your #1 wide receiver in man coverage and provide big punt return ability. You can't expect big plays against this defense, you've got to be patient and move the chains.

I know the pass defense looks bad against the Titans, Vince Young was throwing sharp passes around the field to his receivers, but it's so hard to get to Young thanks to his great offensive line and the fantastic job offensive coordinator Norm Chow does for his offense. The line gives Young time to deliver the ball, and if not, he's out of the pocket and hard as heck to get to. The Saints could have the best scout team in the league, but it's hard to accurately recreate the Titans for the first time in a week, and it didn't help that the Saints aren't playing their best ball on either side of the ball right now.

In my opinion, completely chalk this up to facing a tough opponent the Saints weren't particularly familiar with and who got the best of the Saints, much like the Colts in Week 1. Maybe the two toughest games on their schedule that are now over with. I would take solace that they showed signs of improvement and definitely look forward to playing the Panthers at home in less than two weeks. The Panthers offensive line has been a bit faulty the last two weeks, and their pass defense isn't particularly stout either right now.

The one thing though, as much as the media wants to talk about the big plays from last year and how they're missing this year, I think the Saints are better off being patient and focusing on moving the chains methodically. It's not going to come as easy this year, defenses know a good deal of what to expect from the Saints and are keeping everything in front of them.

Forget most of the gimmicks and focus on creating 3rd and very manageable imo. Sean Payton was getting better at this as the game wore on until the 4th quarter when Laboy's forced fumble/recovery changed the game and the score got out of hand.

Last edited by Geo : 09-25-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's air it out time for the Saints. Bush just isn't a feature back, and he never will be. How many yards did he average per touch last night, 2 or 3?

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
It's air it out time for the Saints. Bush just isn't a feature back, and he never will be. How many yards did he average per touch last night, 2 or 3?
Did you watch how our offensive line was blocking that entire game?

Man, the way people like to discredit that fact amuses me.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What happened to the oline? Last year, at least you can do 3 step drops. This year, even those don't work. The line is playing horriblely. And its the same unit as last year, I don't get it.

Brees is just plain playing bad as well. Can't ignore that fact either. Sean Payton's play calling has been figured out as well. That could be a scary situation.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
What happened to the oline? Last year, at least you can do 3 step drops. This year, even those don't work. The line is playing horriblely. And its the same unit as last year, I don't get it.
Hell if I know, BBD. Hell if I know.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Yeah...it does...but it goes in here because I HATE how overrated Reggie Bush is. He's a good WR and KR/PR but man alive as a RB he blows. I've been saying this all along. He played in the Pac10, and until he learns that NFL is faster than the Pac10 and he can't just wait for things to develop and let other people make his plays for him. Bush in space can be scary, very scary, but Bush as a RB makes me a very VERY happy man when I see him back there and not Deuce.
i hate this arguement. So apparently only good rbs can come from the SEC ACC and big 10? please... where's steven jackson from? where's MJD from? where's justin fargas from? where's marshawn lynch from?

you can't trivialize what bush did in college because of the conference he played in. They played many tough out of conference schools as well.

Last edited by soybean : 09-25-2007 at 08:15 PM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
He saying that if Reggie Bush was as good of a player as he's hyped to be. He is supposed to be "Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk." That's really the only reason Bush has such a bullseye whenever he doesn't do very well. It's the media's fault.
In all fairness to bush, the media isn't really saying stuff like that anymore. Just last weekend Terry Bradshaw said he'd definitely take AD over bush, and the others agreed, as a running back. And yesterday, I believe it was Kornheiser and jaws that said reggie bush is overrated when just 2 years ago jaws was saying Bush was the best football player in the world.

Also, considering the commercials. Companies aren't just going to drop them from their advertising campaigns when they spent so much money on him already, also the consequences of voiding a contract.

So the hype really as bad as it was when he was first coming into the league so I don't know what a lot of people are complaining about now.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
i f***ing hate this arguement. So apparently only good rbs can come from the SEC ACC and big 10? please... where's steven jackson from? where's MJD from? where's justin fargas from? where's marshawn lynch from?

you can't trivialize what bush did in college because of the conference he played in. They played many tough out of conference schools as well.
Nope...they didn't...to be honest Bush was wildly successful but only because his surrounding talent was so good. Bush was fast in college...he's above average in the NFL but he's just not in that 'elite' category anymore. He's not one of the 5 fastest players in the league. He was faster than just about everyone in college.

Also the thing is those backs learned how to translate to the NFL because they are strong runners not run around and dance guys...Bush still has to learn, to say the PAC10 is as fast as the NFL would be completely foolish.

The Saints are now in trouble. Bush has to mature NOW...he has to change his game...NOW...the Saints have to have him step up. They over achieved last year, but the expectations are there, they can't afford to slip back into what they were before...a 3-6 win team...which is what they look like. Putting Brees under pressure is what killed him in SD...he's kinda like Harrington in that fact...so if they can protect him things will turn around.

Last edited by iloxygenil : 09-25-2007 at 01:55 PM.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Nope...they didn't...to be honest Bush was wildly successful but only because his surrounding talent was so good. Bush was fast in college...he's above average in the NFL but he's just not in that 'elite' category anymore. He's not one of the 5 fastest players in the league. He was faster than just about everyone in college.

Also the thing is those backs learned how to translate to the NFL because they are strong runners not run around and dance guys...Bush still has to learn, to say the PAC10 is as fast as the NFL would be completely foolish.

I can't really say one thing or another about bush because as far as I know, he could never develop. But, Im just saying that the PAC-10 doesn't necessarily only produce scrub Rbs. Where as all the other conferences only produce quality tailbacks.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No one is saying that...the Pac 10 just doesn't have the same level of competition. However...this year they seem to be stepping up.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reggie bush always needs that other guy and deuce isnt that guy this year and i think hes over the hill so if the saints really do that bad i would love to see them draft darren mcfadden. sounds crazy now but i think it would turn around reggies career and mcfadden is used to having that other guy too with felix jones there.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

the problem with reggie bush is he's too "excited?" He doesn't run, he kind of hop step skips (kind of like he's jumping). he needs a more fluid motion like LT, run forward a little bit and then make your cuts all in one motion. Majority of the time i see him carrying the ball, as soon as he gets the handoff he goes left.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Investing in McFaddden...it'd be fun...but it's not what you guys need. You need a defense that can stop SOMEONE from scoring. They are pathetic, you guys should consider Dorsey, Rey, or someone like that to help your line. You have to be able to control the line of scrimmage...you can get a back in mid-later rounds to be the pound it up the gut guy (same thing the Falcons are going to be looking for) to take the pressure off Bush. But you have to be able to keep someone out of the endzone and force them to field goals. Right now your defense couldn't stop anyone. MLB, DT, and CB are the top positions of need for the Saints as far as I can tell. You don't need another playmaker on offense, can't share the ball enough, that was the problem already with Deuce...wouldn't let him get enough touches because of the demands to use Bush by the public.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Well he tore his ACL so hes out for the year, but if he were healthy I'd disagree that hes over the hill.

The guy was coming off a knee injury last year and ran for 1000 yards and 10 tds as the focal point of the offense. This year..he was being used as a complimentary player to Reggie Bush, which is just stupid. 10 carries a game is not nearly enough for McAllister to make the impact they expect from him.

It doesn't matter now, though..Reggie's going to have to step up or they're gonna have to force feed Aaron Stecker.

McFadden would be fun to watch with Reggie, but hes really not a pick the Saints need to make. I know in my heart of hearts that he'd be the pick over a guy like Dorsey or Dan Connor with Sean Payton making the picks though..and that scares me.

Last edited by TigerBait45 : 09-25-2007 at 03:31 PM.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A CBS Sportsline article entitled "Bush is fast becoming 21st-century Mandarich."

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10373639/1

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Did he really put Bo Jackson on that list? And he wants people to take him seriously?

..Bo Jackson? Just wow.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:
A CBS Sportsline article entitled "Bush is fast becoming 21st-century Mandarich."

were you smiling while reading the article?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:

I stopped reading at CBS Sportsline.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:

eh... I don't really know why you posted this article. You can go to google news type in reggie bush and there's a lot of the same articles.

If you think you're in some kind of minority sippin the reggie bush hateraid, you're not, there's hundreds of reporters who feel the same way.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The media giveth the hype and if it is not satisfied the media will turn on you in a heartbeat. I saw it first hand with Michael Vick. He went from being the great thing since sliced bread ('03) to being a terrible passer, over-hyped, overrated, over-payed, running back masquerading as a quarterback in the eyes of the media. If Bush doesn't impress, and soon, he will be easy to hate. Once again people will be jumping on mah bandwagon. I didn't like Bush as a prospect and nothing he's done has changed my mind.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Reggie as a prospect and still like him in the pro's however not as an every down back. A role he may now be forced to play courtesy of the injury to Deuce. He is a great change-of-pace, receiver out of the back field kind of guy and excels in that role. Maybe Reggie will prove everyone wrong in the coming weeks. Who knows? It will certainly be interesting to find out.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote