Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

We all know how to beat the Colts. Everyone does. But theyre undefeated, because stopping/containing Peyton in the regular season has become near impossible. Forget everything you hear, you can't "confuse" Peyton. Thats simply not true. If his 4th read is open, he'll hit him. The key to beating Peyton is "confusing" his protection, and getting in his face. Thats how you make Peyton crumble.

To beat him, you need great confusing pressure (which is why he has a harder time with the 3-4), and a solid secondary. You can't play zone against him, he'll hit that window everytime. You gotta have the talent in the secondary to man up, or the pressure in the front 7 to get him before he can let it go. Usually you need both. Theres only one team that can play zone on him, and thats the Patriots because their team is so disciplined in their zone assignments, theres hardly a missed assignment. Every other team in the league needs to bring the heat and pray the man assignments hold their ground.

So the key to this game is coming up with clever pass rushing techniques that will confuse Peyton and his protection schemes. Peyton is responsible for aligning the protection, if you can confuse him and bring pressure where he didn't see it coming, you can get to him. So its gonna take a clever mind to construct the necessary blitz packages that will break down his protection. Delayed blitzes, overload blitzes, stunt blitzes, zone blitzes, you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the guy. And the play calling has to be timed perfectly too, you can't get predictable with it.

Dallas has the talent in the secondary to play man coverage. The key is getting the necessary pressure in the front 7 to make Peyton throw it before he wants to. That will determine the outcome of this game. The defensive strategy of Dallas has been somewhat vanilla so far, and that won't cut it with Peyton. Also the pass rush simply has been disappointing as well, the big name guys are simply not winning their individual matchups often enough. So to sum it up, this game comes down to the defensive strategy and pressure. Ware and Carp need huge games. And there cannot be any missed assignments in the secondary.
Agreed, although it's more like "Clark in the slot". He's their slot WR right now, over Stokley.
Wasn't that because Stokley was hurt? I think he's supposed to be healthy for this game.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 12:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.
AKA Not giving up the big play.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else notice that we didn't really play a nickle defense against the Cardinals. We just removed a OLB and added Glenn. I have a feeling we will do alot of that against the colts. This should make ellis's loss a little easier to deal with.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.
What I'm praying is that Parcells has been waiting for this week to really let the dogs out blitzing. Peyton can be had, look at what Pittsburgh did to him in the AFC championship. If we can confuse his line badly enough and get in his face and at least make him pay for his throws, we stand a chance.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x
Old 11-14-2006, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason
I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.

Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board. and yeah, i do know what im talking about, i called for romo weeks before all of you, and you guys laughed... now you all wanna suck him off. The idiotic thing about your post is how you think our secondary matches up well with the colts. NO SECONDARY in the league matches up well with the colts. T-new is fine, but if you think Henry is ideal for coverage on wayne, you must be nuts. The guy cant cover brandon lloyd. He plays far too aggressive, and if you go back to just this last weekend, the only big passes matt leinart had were to henry's man. He cant stay with wayne by any means, even if wayne doesnt have blazing speed, hes still got moves that henry doesnt have the agility to keep up with. So go ahead and single me out, but dont say i didnt call it when henry gets burned this game and puts us in a real tough spot. All its going to take is one double move from wayne and then you will have either keith davis or pat watkins as a safety net, something i am not looking forward to.

and on a side note, why not call out your boyfriend D-unit who summarized all the points i made? he highlighted just about everything i touched on... maybe you were too worried on figuring out a new argument to prove ware is better than merriman or julius is better than tiki? must be hard to come up with answers which dont exist....
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:44 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board.
I don't think I've ever seen a "dumb post" from DM Dubble. In fact, I think it's obvious to most of us that he is among the most knowledgeable members of this forum. You act like he didn't have sound reasoning for his pre-game predictions for this game. He's not like Balaskonis....."OMG!! Henry will own Wayne on Sunday!! The Colts won't even score on us because Terence Newman will intercept every pass attempt from Manning!! OMG!! I need to go get my bottle of baby oil and T-New highlight tapes before I explode!! OMG!!" Anyway.....I guess I'd be kinda ticked too if it appeared to me that somebody was attacking my knowledge of my team. :|
You guys should make some kinda bet. Maybe an over under on Wayne's receptions or something.
He's averaging 5.33 per game.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Does anyone know if Terry Glenn is going to try and find a way to play or call it quits? I heard you could play with the injury but if he decides to have surgery it would end his career....
Hello? This scares the crap out of me. Source? If Glenn, retires, we should go after Drew Bennett in FA.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:12 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

"Terry Glenn has a "bone-on-bone" condition in the back of one of his knees. The injury report lists him as probable with a quadriceps injury.

We were hoping to retire the phrase "bone-on-bone" after Curtis Martin's retirement. Glenn's season, and the rest of his career, will be about pain management. It's very possible he can play well through the injury. Eventually, he may require microfracture surgery, which would likely end his career. Fantasy owners shouldn't count on Glenn being a consistent factor moving forward. His status for Week 10 remains uncertain."

From ESPN
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets say, Glenn retried early. I personally would feel confident with crayton at the 2, what do you guys think?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Lets say, Glenn retried early. I personally would feel confident with crayton at the 2, what do you guys think?
It might end up being ok and he does have experience, but I would still look at someway to upgrade the position. If we end the season without a lot of needs and Glenn retired I think we should make an effort to get another WR.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Same here. Crayton and Romo have great chemistry, and heck I see a little something in Sam Hurd too. This team would do fine with receivers. Already looking towards the off-season I would say O-Line, O-Line, and O-Line. But this season isn't over yet by a long ways I am just saying that if the draft was tommorow it's all about the O-Line.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think Glenn has a big factor as far as the future goes in big d anyways. This draft has a few players in the mold of Glenn...so I could see us pickin one up on the first day. This actually isn't terrible news...this makes drafting a WR less of a logjam if he indeed hangs them up. Also lets not forget Rector seemed to play alot like Glenn did as far as the size/quickness stacked up.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM    (permalink
TheBoss
Rookie

TheBoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I wouldn't mine at all, I really do believe he does have the best hands on the team, next to Witten. And Hurd looked good against the the Cards, making some difficult catches. But I would still like to see them get a guy like Dallas Baker in the middle rounds to add some depth.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:24 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board. and yeah, i do know what im talking about, i called for romo weeks before all of you, and you guys laughed... now you all wanna suck him off. The idiotic thing about your post is how you think our secondary matches up well with the colts. NO SECONDARY in the league matches up well with the colts. T-new is fine, but if you think Henry is ideal for coverage on wayne, you must be nuts. The guy cant cover brandon lloyd. He plays far too aggressive, and if you go back to just this last weekend, the only big passes matt leinart had were to henry's man. He cant stay with wayne by any means, even if wayne doesnt have blazing speed, hes still got moves that henry doesnt have the agility to keep up with. So go ahead and single me out, but dont say i didnt call it when henry gets burned this game and puts us in a real tough spot. All its going to take is one double move from wayne and then you will have either keith davis or pat watkins as a safety net, something i am not looking forward to.

and on a side note, why not call out your boyfriend D-unit who summarized all the points i made? he highlighted just about everything i touched on... maybe you were too worried on figuring out a new argument to prove ware is better than merriman or julius is better than tiki? must be hard to come up with answers which dont exist....
Not really surprising. 'Bout what I expected, actually. The funny part about your post is that you respond like a child when someone calls you out instead of coming back with hard evidence and reason, and then letting your posts speak for themselves. The bottom line is that you make posts based upon vague impressions you gleaned from who knows where. The evidence of this is the way you come across when you present an argument. Everyone here pretty much knows what I'm talking about, so I won't get into nitty gritty here. My intent was not to start a flame war, but I just could sit there and listen to you spouting off anymore about things you don't know.

As for your comments about Romo, I find it funny that you are acting as if you were the only proponent of putting him in on this board. The majority of people were expressing the same opinion on the situation every time Bledsoe a) was sacked, b) threw an interception or c) took a snap. Now you want to take credit as a visionary? You pulled the oldest move in the book, which is call for the backup QB. Fortunately for you, and the team that we mutually love, that just happened to be the right solution at the time, at least as it appears now.

Lastly, I don't want you to think that I don't respect Wayne as a player, because I do. In fact, I invested heavily in him in most of my fantasy drafts because I felt that this would be the year that he would really emerge as the lead reciever in that offense. The fallacy that you have is that Henry has been getting beat this year. He has not. He is nearly on par with Newman as far as overall quality of player goes. While he doesn't have the same type of speed, he is extremely physical, tough, and aggressive - all of which are valuable qualities to have as a corner. He also has good route recognition and overall smarts. Plus he is top 5 in this league as a tackling CB. A very high quality player. The only real weakness he has is he doesn't have the great long speed you might prefer, and thus can be run-by on deeper routes.

All you have to do to see what kind of player he is, is listen to Parcells when he speaks about him. He talks as if Henry is the top corner on this team. That's enough said right there. He is a high quality player that is perfectly suited to match up with a guy like Reggie Wayne. Does that mean he will shut him down? No, of course not, but it does mean that he has the measurables that coincide with what Wayne brings to the table. That is saying something.

EDIT: When I wrote my last two posts, I was under the impression that you, Burns, made the following comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDallas
My strategy would be to have Newman go man to man with Wayne the whole game to match speed with speed and have Henry on Harrison with safety help most of the time.

I think that creates a favorable matchup from a skill set standpoint.
He made this right after your post that I was responding to, so I remembered you as having said it. My bad on that one, but most of what I said still stands.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

So you think I don't know what I'm talking about? :shock:

Just to explain myself a little more. I don't think that Newman could effectively shut down Harrison over an entire game, but I do think that he could get pretty close to shutting Wayne down. I also think that since Harrison is getting up there in years that Henry would be a better matchup because his physical play could help wear him down. I know that Henry's style of play will result in the WR getting away from time to time and that is why you have a safety over the top as often as possible. 20 yards instead of 60 would really help. That leaves Roy free to either support the run game or sit back in the deep zone depending on the situation in the game.

If you think there are any flaws in something I said please explain them.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

well next time double check.... As far as me responding like a child, what would you do when someone specifically calls you out on a post and only mentions you, when 2 others on the same page, including d-unit, brought up all 3 of the same points i made in my post. i dont go on dictionary or thesaurus.com to make my posts sound all smart like some, but if you break them down and look at what ive said in the past, i tend to be right a majority of the time. Ive been a cowboys fan since i was born and i enjoy talking about them. I also think most of the stuff i put on this board is significant and correct. My posts speak for themselves, you can go back and check if you'd like.

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Flo. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.

Edit: ill respect your opinions as well, which i tend to agree with most of the time, this just isnt one of them.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
well next time double check.... As far as me responding like a child, what would you do when someone specifically calls you out on a post and only mentions you, when 2 others on the same page, including d-unit, brought up all 3 of the same points i made in my post. i dont go on dictionary or thesaurus.com to make my posts sound all smart like some, but if you break them down and look at what ive said in the past, i tend to be right a majority of the time. Ive been a cowboys fan since i was born and i enjoy talking about them. I also think most of the stuff i put on this board is significant and correct. My posts speak for themselves, you can go back and check if you'd like.

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Freeny. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.
Henry can cover the double move, he just always bites on the first one. He isn't as fast or agile as Newman, but he is good enough to cover pretty much anyone. His aggressive style of play is what makes him prone to give up big plays, but it's also what makes him such a good CB. I don't know if the team promotes this type of play for him or not, but it seems like it does.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Freeny. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.
Henry can cover the double move, he just always bites on the first one. He isn't as fast or agile as Newman, but he is good enough to cover pretty much anyone. His aggressive style of play is what makes him prone to give up big plays, but it's also what makes him such a good CB. I don't know if the team promotes this type of play for him or not, but it seems like it does.
Yes and most of the time his aggressiveness isnt a deciding factor in the game. But look at who we are playing. If he bites on the first move, that is more than enough for manning and wayne to create points. We are playing in offense in which you cant make mistakes against their recievers.

Lets say henry bites on the first move like you said, the second move is than nullified. There is no need for a second move. At that point he will be matched up one on one with watkins/davis. This isnt good.

The whole point im trying to make is that henry cant play his style in this game and still be successful. Is he a good corner? Yes, in certain games hes perfectly suited for the job. Is this one of those games? no i don think so, we are going up against the best regular season QB in the business with top recieving threats. If henry plays overly aggressive, all it takes is one move and thats 7 points on the board.

you just admitted he bites on the first move. how does this not scare you against the colts?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes and most of the time his aggressiveness isnt a deciding factor in the game. But look at who we are playing. If he bites on the first move, that is more than enough for manning and wayne to create points. We are playing in offense in which you cant make mistakes against their recievers.

Lets say henry bites on the first move like you said, the second move is than nullified. There is no need for a second move. At that point he will be matched up one on one with watkins/davis. This isnt good.

The whole point im trying to make is that henry cant play his style in this game and still be successful. Is he a good corner? Yes, in certain games hes perfectly suited for the job. Is this one of those games? no i don think so, we are going up against the best regular season QB in the business with top recieving threats. If henry plays overly aggressive, all it takes is one move and thats 7 points on the board.

you just admitted he bites on the first move. how does this not scare you against the colts?
Well first of all not every route is a double move and Henry doesn't get beat on every single double move. Sure he gets beat more than Newman, but he is still an above average CB when compared to the rest of the league.

I haven't done any research into this other than just watching games, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that Henry gets beat deep 2-3 times a game. This doesn't mean 3 long pass plays a game though. Double moves or any deep route for that matter take longer to develop so it gives the pass rush more of an opportunity to get to the QB. Our pass rush may not be dominant, but I have full confidence they can get their 8-10 on a 7 step drop.

There should always be a safety deep when Henry gets beat deep because you can't bite on a first move without safety help over the top. However, there are routes where the receiver has a good chance of making the catch before the safety can get there. On a pass like that you would expect somewhere around a 30 yard gain.

Once you factor in the pass rush and the safety help over the top it makes sense to say that Henry gets beat deep one time a game that should cost us 30-40 yards. That will certainly hurt you, but in most games it won't be enough to kill you. Part of our problem lies in the fact that we don't have outstanding free safeties and they won't always be there and although I think they do a good job overall our pass rush is still somewhat inconsistent.

Especially in a game against the Colts I don't think that one play really hurts you. A 60 yarder for a TD would hurt more, but it certainly doesn't ruin you chance to win the game. With our offense we should be able to give up 27 points to the Colts and still have a decent shot in the game.

Our run defense should do a good job of shutting down Addai and the fact that we played James and the Cardinals last week kind of gave our defense a chance to really get used to the style of offense the Colts play.

In the end with Henry I'll give up a play or maybe even two a game for 30-40 yards as long as he keeps batting down 3rd down passes that would extend drives. You certainly pay a price to have a player like that on your team, but I really believe that the team can scheme around his abilities and make him a force in the defense.

In my example above you almost always have a safety over the top of him. That means that if he gets beat on a double move and our safety can't quite get there to break up the pass it still shouldn't be a TD which is what has killed our defense up to this point.

It's the Colts so you're going to give up plays and you're going to give up points, but if we play bend, but don't break defense our offense will give us a chance in this game.

I know this might be hard to read because there is a lot of stuff in there I didn't organize it, but I hope it makes sense.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Just one more point on why I want Newman on Wayne and Henry on Harrison.

Wayne is averaging about 3 more yard per catch than Harrison.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Personally I feel we have to keep the Colts under 25 pts...otherwise we lose this game.

Designs by me
Quote: