Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Personally I feel we have to keep the Colts under 25 pts...otherwise we lose this game.
We're averaging 27.7 a game. I think we should be able to score somewhere around that mark against their subpar defense.

One more note, although I like Julius as the starter, I think Barber should get a few more carries in this game so he can punish some of those smaller, fast players.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Personally I feel we have to keep the Colts under 25 pts...otherwise we lose this game.
We're averaging 27.7 a game. I think we should be able to score somewhere around that mark against their subpar defense.

One more note, although I like Julius as the starter, I think Barber should get a few more carries in this game so he can punish some of those smaller, fast players.
Agreed. Barber should be the featured back this Sunday so he can punish the soft underbelly of that D.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Jdallas....Although i do understand everything you said about Henry, i still feel like even if wayne gets behind him 2 or 3 times, that could easily turn into 2 or 3 touchdowns with the poor fs play.

we've dragged this debate out too long though, both of us have come up with very possible scenario's, now we just have to sit back and watch.

I hope you guys prove me wrong on this one. I really want this colts game more than any game this season just so the team can prove they are just as good as anyone. I think if we win this game, we carry that confidence through the rest of the year and take the division with prob the 2nd best record in the nfc behind da bears.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

If you think this debate has gone on too long you should have read 50 pages of D-Unit and kwhy arguing about DeMarcus Ware.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 01:20 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ran across a interesting article on Romo and the draft. I don't know if I buy it seems farfetched but nevertheless....

Quote:
Sholl also told a story that he said no one knows about draft day, when Romo was ignored. Sholl said Romo dropped his cell phone after the first day of the draft. Sholl thought it was possibly broken, but Romo checked the phone and pronounced it fine.

It turns out it was good for outgoing calls but not incoming.

"So he found out he had 29 messages from NFL teams," Sholl said. "Maybe he would have been drafted."

Romo, from Burlington, Wis., signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2003. He chose Dallas in part because his grandparents live there.

Sholl also mentioned something else of interest to many stateline fans:

"The Packers have tried to trade for Romo," he said.

Doesn't look like he's available any more.
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=2006111140029

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ran across a interesting article on Romo and the draft. I don't know if I buy it seems farfetched but nevertheless....

Quote:
Sholl also told a story that he said no one knows about draft day, when Romo was ignored. Sholl said Romo dropped his cell phone after the first day of the draft. Sholl thought it was possibly broken, but Romo checked the phone and pronounced it fine.

"So he found out he had 29 messages from NFL teams," Sholl said. "Maybe he would have been drafted."

Romo, from Burlington, Wis., signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2003. He chose Dallas in part because his grandparents live there.

I think this new found evidence, coupled with the fact that the Packer's HC publicly said he'd want Favre to play another 2 years shows that they have very little faith in Aaron Rodgers. They should trade him to a desperate team.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:48 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So you think I don't know what I'm talking about? :shock:

Just to explain myself a little more. I don't think that Newman could effectively shut down Harrison over an entire game, but I do think that he could get pretty close to shutting Wayne down. I also think that since Harrison is getting up there in years that Henry would be a better matchup because his physical play could help wear him down. I know that Henry's style of play will result in the WR getting away from time to time and that is why you have a safety over the top as often as possible. 20 yards instead of 60 would really help. That leaves Roy free to either support the run game or sit back in the deep zone depending on the situation in the game.

If you think there are any flaws in something I said please explain them.
Quote:
My strategy would be to have Newman go man to man with Wayne the whole game to match speed with speed and have Henry on Harrison with safety help most of the time.

I think that creates a favorable matchup from a skill set standpoint.
That's what I was referring to. To suggest that Wayne is a "speed" based player is nothing short of flat out wrong. Newman is good enough to cover Harrisson man-to-man and keep him in check. Henry is also good enough to hold Wayne in check. If you must roll a safety over the top, do so on the weak side to give Henry help against Wayne. But the very dumbest thing we could do would be to move our speed/agility corner onto their size/strength reciever and move our size/strength corner onto their speed/agility reicever. I can't even see how that would enter into your brain.

Again, we match up against these guys as good as any team in the NFL. Our trio of cover guys is perfect for this assignment, and to move peices around would be just plain dumb.

It's no coincedence that Newman has not allowed a TD in 20+ games and counting. In that span, he has played against Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Boldin + Fitzgerald (twice each), Rod Smith, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Holt, Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Plaxico and Roy Williams. I'm pretty sure that he can contain Harrison to a reasonable extent. As for Henry, you have to take the good with the bad. He makes plays coming up and hitting people, batting down balls and creating a bit of chaos on the edges. He created that Int that Watkins had by getting his hand into Boldins target zone and not only breaking up the catch, but keeping it alive to create an Int. Those are the things he does. He makes recievers work for what they get. Can Wayne exploit that? Sure. Will he? We'll find out on Sunday.......but I like our chances.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty freaky.....but I can't imagine an NFL team not drafting someone just because they don't answer their phone. But it's definitely a head scratcher.

You do have to wonder about the Pack, though. They don't seem to be demonstrating an awful lot of faith in Rodgers. Is there something wrong with him? Or do they just not know how to handle a delicate situation?
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Well, I just did some research and coming out of college in 1996 Harrison ran a 4.37 and in 2001 Wayne ran a 4.45. Once you take into account Harrison is 5 years older the difference in their speed is probably very, very small. I worded what I wanted to say wrong. While Wayne isn't faster he is more of a threat to beat us deep because of the way the Colts use him. He doesn't average 3 ypc more than Harrison for no reason. I think Newman would do best covering the #2 guy who is more of a deep threat, while Henry with safety help over the top should be able to keep Harrison in check who hasn't done a whole lot downfield yet this season.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If I were a betting man I'd bet Newman will cover Harrison almost exclusively and Henry will cover Wayne almost exclusively as well. I think Newman matches up better with Harrison and Henry with Wayne as Harrison is faster and probably more of a deep threat and I think Wayne is a little bigger and more physical.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM    (permalink
jbsg02
Rookie

jbsg02 is a cocksman.jbsg02 is a cocksman.jbsg02 is a cocksman.

what it comes down to is that we need to run the ball a lot to keep the colt's O off the field
jbsg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Terry Glenn practiced today and is listed as probable.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should we claim this FB from Cin since we have at least 1 open spot?

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=104
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc

I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Well, I just did some research and coming out of college in 1996 Harrison ran a 4.37 and in 2001 Wayne ran a 4.45. Once you take into account Harrison is 5 years older the difference in their speed is probably very, very small. I worded what I wanted to say wrong. While Wayne isn't faster he is more of a threat to beat us deep because of the way the Colts use him. He doesn't average 3 ypc more than Harrison for no reason. I think Newman would do best covering the #2 guy who is more of a deep threat, while Henry with safety help over the top should be able to keep Harrison in check who hasn't done a whole lot downfield yet this season.
*sigh*

Listen, I don't know where you got your sources, or what link you found. Here's a quote from Kiper in the month leading up to the draft after watching the Miami pro-day workout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Kiper
WR Reggie Wayne -- Wayne did not run especially well, coming in at 4.56 and 4.60. He also didn't show incredible explosiveness with a 34½-inch vertical, but nobody expected him to approach Moss' speed numbers anyway. He caught the ball, as we did expect, exceptionally well. Wayne is just a fantastic wide receiver, not a speed merchant. His standing may have dropped to a late first-round or early second-round pick.
http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0301/1119804.htm

It's confusing to me how you insist on painting Wayne as having anything close to even "good" speed. The best you can say about him is that he is average, but that he finds ways to compensate. There is no way he is going to run past Henry. But, again, speed is overrated in many instances. He has excellent moves, and he just knows how to get open. But there is no way to maintain that his speed is a concern, especially as it pertains to Anthony Henry covering him.

As for your assertion that they "use him", it's just off-base. Yes, they are inclined to use Wayne deep at times. But Harrison is, and always will be, the better deep threat. The reason for the lesser ypc this season is because the Colts often throw the ball to Harrison on short drag routes over the middle of just 2-4 yards, hoping that he can create something with his superior run-after-catch abilities. That's something that can bring your average down in a hurry. They don't do that with Wayne much, as he doesn't bring the same shiftiness to the table.

The most common patterns that Wayne runs are the deep ins/outs, the deep post, and medium crossing routes or digs. Sometimes they use him on double moves down the sidelines, but rarely do they ever just send him on a simple "Go" or 9 route straight down the field. This is reserved almost exclusively for Harrison.

Now, it's not like Wayne can't get open deep, but he doesn't use pure speed to do it. That is not even a consideration for us in approaching this game. Again, I will state that Henry is the perfect corner to match up on Reggie. If he gets burnt, it will not be because of a speed disadvantage.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.
Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

I can't find the site that I found earlier that said 4.45, but I guess I'll concede to you on that. Going into this discussion I didn't know what kind of timed speed Wayne had and when I did a search that's what came up.

You said yourself that they use Harrison on short drag routes, that sounds like the type of thing that Henry excells at defending to me. They haven't used Harrison as much of a deep threat this season, but I'll agree he could probably do it if they wanted. I would rather have my FS deep if they start using Harrisons deep threat to their advantage because they haven't shown it much yet and I wouldn't want to waste Newman there.

I really think that I'm right in the way I would use the secondary, but I don't think the Cowboys will do it. If the Cowboys try it over the course of the game and it doesn't work I'll concede I'm wrong, but I probably won't ever do that unless I see it fail over the course of a game.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.
Well right now I'm not too worried about insurance. I've never been a fan of Kincade, but I would trust him to finish out a game because he knows the offense. If Jones or Barber were going to be out an extended period of time I would look into finding another guy, but until then I wouldn't look for a new guy to bring in unless I saw something in him for the future. It seems pretty resonable to me that we could keep the RBs we have now for a long time and be very happy with them.

I agree that there really aren't any NTs out there and that's why I'm interested in seeing who we pick up. I really have no idea right now and maybe you are right about RB.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

We resigned Polite. Parcells said he's looking for another LB. He's also worried about TE and NT.

I still don't like the Polite move, I'll feel better about it if we don't use an active roster spot on him. I think it's a waste of space to bring 5 guys in the backfield on gameday.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

i believe newmans game count of not giving up a touchdown is up to 27 consecutive games but i cant find any hard evidence.

Anyone have a link to something that provides reliable information on touchdowns given up by db's? My roomates dont believe me about Newman and i would also like to see how other big name db's such as hall, bailey, and mcallister match up to newman in the category... Im also interested in seeing henrys stats in this area.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My personal opinion is that any coach can take a player out of the game. I also think that it makes more sense to DOUBLE Harrison and leave Newman on Wayne. By and large, I prefer to maximize the advantage that Newman has over a #2 receiver than to 'cancel' it out against a strong #1 receiver.

That being said, Newman will most likely be on Harrison anyway because Harrison lines up as the Flanker almost exclusively while Wayne is the Split End almost exclusively. The Colts almost always have the same alignment. The Cowboys almost always have Newman as the left CB with Henry as the Right CB. Typically though, Newman goes inside in the Nickle, and if they continue to do that, Harrison will have a field day while Stokely will be shut out.

The whole game will be about match ups on the outside. But if our LB's don't do a good job in coverage it will be a very long day.

The longer the game goes on that the Cowboys are tied / leading / down by 7pts or less the better off. Speed wins early, size wins late. We have the size, they have the speed. We need to withstand the early part of the game to begin imposing our will on them in the later portion.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I do. I think it's too easy for the opponent to gameplan for Ware knowing he's coming from the weak side. Besides, I'd like to see what he can do moved around.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?
Give me an example. I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Give me an example. I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.
Well I'm pretty sure Joey Porter is used interchangeably on both sides. I may be oversimplifying the idea, but it would seem beneficial for our Defense if we could confuse offenses by aligning Ware in different spots and taking advantage of mismatches. It wouldn't work if he wasn't effective, but I'd like to give him a chance to show what he could do on the Strong side. He seems to have the right combination of size and skills to do it. Last year it might've been wrong to try it, but with his weight gain, ever growing experience, and Ellis' injury, this year might be a good time to try it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote