Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Interesting Salary Cap information...

Here's a blurb from SI's Peter King from his monday morning quarterback column.

"I think the issue of when Romo signs a new contract with the Cowboys and the size of the deal is much to do about nothing. Dallas is in no danger of losing him, so shouldn't that be all anyone cares about, except for Romo, Jerry Jones and their teams of accountants? A peek at the current salary-cap standings shows the Cowboys are $13 million under the salary cap this year and are slated to be $28 million below the projected $116-million salary limit next year. So there's ample money to get the deal done this year -- the deadline for signing an extension this year and having the money be applied to the 2007 cap is Nov. 5 -- and Jones will have more than enough to get it done next year, too"

I don't think there is any problem with the cowboys signing anyone that they want to sign either on the team on in FA if they chose to go that route. Interestingly enough, that's just about the figure I came up with in another thread when I said we had $25 million for next year. Trust me, we're fine.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's positive news

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Ware_HITStick
Rookie

Ware_HITStick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great news
Old 10-02-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

$28M is a good number, but that doesn't mean we can't be frivolous with our money.

We're $13M under right now. That's always a good thing. Let's say we want to continue to be under the cap next year to continue to have the flexibility to make in-season signings and be better prepared for the next upcoming season. So let's round a safe number to around $5-10M. Is that a fair range?

So that leaves $18-23M to spend as you wish.

Now answer these questions:

1. Are we definitely NOT bringing Flozell back at any cost? If we do bring him back, how much is reasonable?

2. Marion Barber will be getting some offers on the market. How much can we afford to match?

3. Chris Canty can void his '08 contract. He's expected to earn a base salary of $460,000. Do you agree that he's likely to void it? How much will it cost to bring him back?

4. Patrick Crayton is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

5. Keith Davis is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

6. Ken Hamlin is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

7. Julius Jones is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

8. Tyson Thompson is an Exclusive Rights FA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

9. Nate Jones is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

10. Cory Proctor is an Exclusive Rights FA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

11. Jay Ratliff is a RFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

12. Jacques Reeves is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back?

13. Terence Newman's contract is voidable for the '08 season. His base salary is expected to be $1,416,417. How much will it cost to extend him?

14. Last, but not least... Mr. Tony Romo. How much will it cost to keep him?

Now after this, we do want to have some money left over to pursue NEW FA's to the team as well, right?

And for all the players we resign, their contracts will most likely be longer than 1 year, so we'll have to compound those numbers to our cap number for '09 and on.

So did somebody say we were in good shape?

The last thing we need is to dish out 60M+ to a RB who will be apart of a committee (DMAC). I've been saying that for a while now.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

even if Hamlin plays well, i see jerry screwing him and not giving him a good contract as promised.

Newman and Romo are for sure (at least i hope?).

Flo depends on the draft, he get penalized alot, but other than that, its not like he is giving up sacks left and right. Unless we feel like we have a sure upgrade, Im not comfortable with trashing him.

Goodbye julius jones and nate jones.

I think we bring back canty and ratliff, both have shown improvement up to this point.

unfortunately I think craytons price tag is too high for us, but with the retirement of Glenn, will this change? Im not quite sure how that works but Im pretty sure glenn hangs them up after this year, especially if he comes back and lacks speed.

I'd say we probably bring proctor back unless we plan on getting more depth in the draft

we need to get barber, I hope we can make this happen.

Someone can be franchised.

Honestly, I could see Tony ending up taking a pay cut if it would substantially help out the team. He's just the kind of guy that I see being happy as a "medium" rich QB (if there is such a thing). He'll get paid if he wants to but Tony is just one of those guys. who knows.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
$28M is a good number, but that doesn't mean we can't be frivolous with our money.

We're $13M under right now. That's always a good thing. Let's say we want to continue to be under the cap next year to continue to have the flexibility to make in-season signings and be better prepared for the next upcoming season. So let's round a safe number to around $5-10M. Is that a fair range?

So that leaves $18-23M to spend as you wish.

Now answer these questions:

1. Are we definitely NOT bringing Flozell back at any cost? If we do bring him back, how much is reasonable? No, we're not bringing him back at anywhere near his current salary. $5 Million a year or less maybe. And yes, that would actually SAVE us $2 per year in cap space over where we are now

2. Marion Barber will be getting some offers on the market. How much can we afford to match? Barber won't be leaving the Cowboys this year, he's a RFA, we'll tender him at a 1st round tender and if anyone takes him (they won't) we'll get a 1st rounder in exchange. If he stays here he costs us an extra $600k from where he is now. No biggie

3. Chris Canty can void his '08 contract. He's expected to earn a base salary of $460,000. Do you agree that he's likely to void it? How much will it cost to bring him back? No he's not likely to void his contract. How many players void a contract when they aren't even near pro bowl caliber? No way he voids his contract.

4. Patrick Crayton is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? He's a #3 WR, who MAY get #2 WR money. So what? Give him #2 money and move on if you want to keep him. #2 Money is low in this league and our backups all make the league minimums.

5. Keith Davis is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? He only contributes on ST....so what if he stays or goes, he's costing us too much on the cap as it is now

6. Ken Hamlin is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? He would cost us very little. He's playing for a long term deal now, he's not playing for lots of money, just a long term deal. He'll cost us about $2 million a year but won't hit the cap for much more than his deal now

7. Julius Jones is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? For about the league average for a guy with 4-5 years experience. Again, not much money, if he walks so what.

8. Tyson Thompson is an Exclusive Rights FA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? What on earth has he done to warrant bringing him back??

9. Nate Jones is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? We thought so highly of him that we cut him after the start of the season and he cleared waivers. He took a paycut to resign. He's just a guy and makes the league minimum, who cares about Nate Jones

10. Cory Proctor is an Exclusive Rights FA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? A guy that never sees the field, what does it matter if he stays or goes. He's a league minimum player either way

11. Jay Ratliff is a RFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? We sign him for an extension, but again, he's a backup DL, not like he signs for alot of money

12. Jacques Reeves is an UFA. How much do we bring him back for, if we bring him back? #3 CB who has always been a bubble player. He signs for a pittence and no one cares either way

13. Terence Newman's contract is voidable for the '08 season. His base salary is expected to be $1,416,417. How much will it cost to extend him? He costs a mint but it's expected and we have tons of room, no one should be worried

14. Last, but not least... Mr. Tony Romo. How much will it cost to keep him? He costs a mint too, but again, it's expected and we have so much room it doesn't matter

Now after this, we do want to have some money left over to pursue NEW FA's to the team as well, right? [b] We have lots of room to pursue new FA's. In fact, we'll have enough to room to sign a top notch FA. The Colts have Mannings Salary, Harrison's, Reggie Wayne's, a 1st Round RB and #3 Wr, and the highest paid Defensive player in history yet they are fine. Trust me, we have LOTS of room to sign players. There isn't a single player on our Defense that costs alot (Newman will but as of now no one does). New England has Brady's salary, Moss's, Vrabels, a #1 pick at RB, Harrison's contract, Wilfork, Ty Warren, Adalius Thomas' huge deal and Seymore's, trust me, there is lots of room to work in this cap era.

And for all the players we resign, their contracts will most likely be longer than 1 year, so we'll have to compound those numbers to our cap number for '09 and on.

So did somebody say we were in good shape? Not only are we in good shape, we're in GREAT shape for now and the foreseable future. You are grossly overestimating the impact of signing players to deals and it's effects on our cap

The last thing we need is to dish out 60M+ to a RB who will be apart of a committee (DMAC). I've been saying that for a while now.
Why? If DMAC is that good then he should be drafted. His cap figure (which is no where near $60M, is very managable and in the grand scheme of things if he's the next LT/LJ/Steven Jackson he's worth it)

Answers in bold......

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Whats all the hype about? If we were in salary cap trouble, we would just restructure contracts like every other team. I do agree with LSU. We're fine.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Answers in bold......
Let me just say that I'm not trying to be dramatic or anything. I'm just trying to show the other side of the coin. I do think we are in good cap shape. I would like to remain in good shape in the future as well, so saying that we have plenty to spend is not the type of mentality that I think is best for a building a successful long term future.

Yeah, I have no doubt that we'll be able to sign all the guys we need to. At the same time, we should be wise in how we spend our money in the draft picks we make and the FA additions we make. That's pretty much all I'm saying.

There are a lot of things that our Front Office has to think about concerning our own FAs this year. We really do not have THAT much to dole out.

Flozell Adams - I wouldn't bring him back for anything more than 3M per.
Marion Barber - 1.5M in his first year.
Joe Berger - Let go.
Stephen Bowen - Let go.
Chris Canty - I do think he opts out. He gets paid like a 4th rounder when he's been starting since Day 1. No 3 year starting NFL DE enters his fourth year getting paid less than $1M.
Patrick Crayton - I agree with you that he's not THAT important to the team, but I don't want to pay him #2 WR money. Especially if that's Terry Glenn money.
Keith Davis - I'm ok with letting him go, in favor of a SS that can cover and rotate in with Roy on passing downs... though Roy is improving this year in his coverage.
Ken Hamlin - I expect him to be resigned to a long deal at at least 3M in his first year.
Julius Jones - I want to let him go in favor of a cheaper option through the draft.
Nate Jones - Let him go. Didn't understand the fuss of him getting cut when we signed Tank Johnson.
LP Ladouceur - Minimum contract or let him walk.
Terence Newman - Something like 8-11M per year.
Evan Oglesby - Close to a Minimum contract or let him walk.
Cory Proctor - Close to a Minimum contract or let him walk.
Jay Ratliff - 1M per
Jacques Reeves - Let go.
Tony Romo - 8/31/2006: 9-12M per
Tyson Thompson - Close to a Minimum contract or let him walk.

Just between Newman and Romo we could be locking up over $20M. That really doesn't leave us a ton left. I don't like the idea of us thinking we have all the room in the world. When it comes down to crunching real numbers, it's fairly easy to see.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Whats all the hype about? If we were in salary cap trouble, we would just restructure contracts like every other team. I do agree with LSU. We're fine.
Most of the time when you restructure contracts, you're usually putting up front a lot of money that you weren't planning to do before.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Most of the time when you restructure contracts, you're usually putting up front a lot of money that you weren't planning to do before.
Yup and thats on Jerry.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote