Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
BBD, I respect your opinion but the bottom line is Merriman is on steroids and Ware is not. Merriman can make all the excuses he wants but the bottom line is he tested positive and was suspended for 4 games. And besides even though Merriman is probably a better pass rusher Ware is a more complete player in terms of pass coverage. I probably wouldn't have said this last year but I wouldn't go back in time and change that pick at all, I'm very happy with D-Ware.
No. The bottom line is that Merriman got caught using steroids and Ware didn't. You have absolutely no idea who doesn't use steroids. You think there aren't countless NFL players out there on steroids that haven't gotten caught? Of course there are. There are punters on steroids.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BBD, I respect your opinion but the bottom line is Merriman is on steroids and Ware is not. Merriman can make all the excuses he wants but the bottom line is he tested positive and was suspended for 4 games. And besides even though Merriman is probably a better pass rusher Ware is a more complete player in terms of pass coverage. I probably wouldn't have said this last year but I wouldn't go back in time and change that pick at all, I'm very happy with D-Ware.
Ware is a great player and I did not intend to undermine his performance with what I said, I just wanted to point out a hypocrisy when comparing him to Merriman, thats all.

We always hear, "oh merriman only got that sack because he came unblocked or he had a RB blocking him" but when Ware is in the same situation, we don't criticize him for it. That was my point. Let's not be hypocritical when comparing the 2 in terms of pass rushing. Ive defended Ware numerous times, I know he's a great player. Im just saying, when it comes to pass rushing, let's not make any excuses anymore.

And anyway, if Ware can pick it up and play the rest of the season the way he did today, then its a moot point. Its clear that he benefited from finally being moved around, and he played extremely well because of it. Im curious to see how he does the rest of the season, or if this was a one game aberation.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:07 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
No. The bottom line is that Merriman got caught using steroids and Ware didn't. You have absolutely no idea who doesn't use steroids. You think there aren't countless NFL players out there on steroids that haven't gotten caught? Of course there are. There are punters on steroids.
I'm pretty sure the NFL's testing policy is such that if Ware or any other player for that matter were using and especially using consistently they would be caught. If the NFL weren't afraid to bust a high profile player like Merriman why wouldn't they bust any other players caught? I trust the NFL's testing policy. I'm sure there are exceptions to everything but by and large I think if anybody uses in the NFL they will get caught sooner or later.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the NFL's testing policy is such that if Ware or any other player for that matter were using and especially using consistently they would be caught. If the NFL weren't afraid to bust a high profile player like Merriman why wouldn't they bust any other players caught? I trust the NFL's testing policy. I'm sure there are exceptions to everything but by and large I think if anybody uses in the NFL they will get caught sooner or later.
Remember though, even after Merriman got caught, he got 3 sacks against St. Louis. You get caught well before it becomes public, so the roids were out of his system by then. And he still slapped the offense around.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Remember though, even after Merriman got caught, he got 3 sacks against St. Louis. You get caught well before it becomes public, so the roids were out of his system by then. And he still slapped the offense around.
When you stop taking steroids you don't all of the sudden lose all of your strenght and speed. Allyou have to do is keep eating enough and you can support the muscle. It only makes it harder to keep getting bigger.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both players are excellent. I'm pretty sure it's just a relief for many Cowboys fans that Ware isn't a bust. Not everyone was on board with the pick, but I'm pretty sure everyone is happy we resolved that need.

Ratliff showed me some things yesterday that made me happy we spent a 7th round pick on him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:02 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I was very curious as to what strategy BP would imploy, and it looks like he did the same style he did with the 9ers when he was coaching my giants. From what I noticed, he did a lot of zone. When he did man coverage, it held up very well. But his LBs were almost exclusively in a zone coverage every play. I wasn't sure if that would work against Manning, but it did. Some notes.

- That 4th and 2...Ware was the reason it wasn't completed. He took Manning's first 2 reads out at the same time in his coverage. Manning panicked after that, and threw it away hoping for a flag. Great play by Ware.
I think he mixed it up more than anything. We did play some man with our ILBs, but, yes, they were in zone more often than not. Still, part of that was some Cover 1 with a safety in man and a ILB playing zone in the middle.

As far as Ware's coverage....... :shock: I'm beginning to think that he is the best coverage 3-4 OLB in the league. That 4th down play was something that media outlets and the vast majority of fans will never notice or comment on, but it was as dynamic a play as a sack-fumble or blowing up a ball carrier can ever be. I just can't express in words how bad a$$ that was. First he gets an excellent jam on Clark, throws the timing and spacing on his route off, and then he not only passes his man off to Henry, but takes Wayne from Henry (just a textbook exchange by the two) and completely demolishes him, taking him out of the play. You couldn't be more right, BBD, DeMarcus made that play. These are the things that the Merriman homers don't see.

Quote:
- That INT for a TD was down by contact, Im surprised none of you have admitted that yet.
Here's where I think you were wrong. The rule states that a ball carrier must be down by contact. The contact with Harrison was marginal, in the first place, and had nothing to do with him going down. However, the more important issue was whether or not Burnett had established possession of the ball when the contact occurred. It was pretty apparent that he didn't have it under control at the time. If he didn't, then the down by contact would not apply. I think there is a 92.6% chance that the play is upheld if challenged. But, yes, there was definitely a little contact there with Marvin.

Quote:
- As well as the defense played, and as well as Romo played, the offense as a whole was not executing well. 14 points against that Colts D wasn't enough 9 out of 10 times. Dallas almost gave it away by not being effective in the 1st half offensively. They picked it up in the 2nd half, but they also left alot of points on the board.
Don't be mistaken. Romo played very poorly in the first half. Parcells said that the play on which he was picked off should have been thrown to the other side where, apparently, Owens was wide-open for a TD.

If you'll go back and look, it was simply a tale of two halves. The first half was a bit of an aberration, with all the TOs and the missed FGs, etc. But the second half was exactly the up and down the field game that most expected going in. We owned that team in the second half - at least as much as is possible against such a high quality opponent.

While it's true that we could have gotten ourselves in too deep with that first half performance on O, it's still a team game. Our D played great, and our size advantage really started to show up in the second half, just like you would have expected.

Quote:
- Outside that one whiff, Flo didn't do too bad. The oline as a whole has played significantly better since Romo came in. Coincidence? We all know Bledsoe makes his lines look much worst than they are. Now we can all finally agree on it without debate.
This is a sore spot for me. We have a lot of posters on this board who are such fanboy freakouts when it comes to evaluating our O-Line, especially in pass pro. Flozell played one of his best games of the season. And our line as a whole played very well in the passing game. People think just because a team is smaller, than you can just mow them over in the run game, it doesn't work like that. With the quickness advantage they have, their D-lineman can shoot gaps at an incredible rate and blow a play up before it has time to develop. It's not like they just stand there and wait to get pushed backwards.

Agreed on the Bledsoe thing. He does make the O-line look bad, but Romo makes them look better than they are. I would say that they are somewhere in the 13-16 range in the NFL. They have allowed 3 sacks in Romo's 4 starts. Projected over an entire season, that would be the 2nd best rate in the league. How 'bout them apples?

Quote:
- Ware had a great game. He had a couple of near sacks along with that great sack. I would like to point this out though. I don't want to hear any hypocritical comments on Merriman and how "half his sacks are unblocked, or a RB blocks him" because it goes both ways. Ware's sack he came unblocked, and another time he had a clear shot at Manning, but Addai pwned him on the block. He had his chance against a RB that play, and got pwned, so let's not knock Merriman for every sack he gets, then give Ware a pass. Ware is a great player, but I still honestly think Merriman is just a better pass rusher. We should also note that his first sack against Washington at home was against a RB, but we ignore it and only crticize Merriman when it happens to him. It goes both ways. Let's not be hypocritical in this regards anymore. Im not saying this to undermine Ware's performance, Im just pointing out a hypocritical standpoint when we evaluate the 2.
I'm sure you're talking to me on this one. And to be honest, I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I have to admit that I am fully aware of the conflicting nature of using that line of reasoning on one side and not the other. Yeah, Ware's sack against Washington did come against Duckett. And yes he did get a free shot on Manning this game. However, let's not get carried away here. That is only the second sack he's gotten on the year against a RB/TE or unblocked. Merriman had two against Oakland, two against St. Louis, and another against (iirc) San Fran.

Still, at some point the numbers just begin to speak for themselves. Merriman has managed 8 1/2 sacks in 8 games. Right now he is just plain better rushing the passer than Ware. DeMarcus has really disappointed me with the use of his hands and his lack of counter-moves this year. He just doesn't bring that much of a repertoire to the table. Merriman isn't exactly Reggie White in that area, but he does a much better job than DeMarcus.

HOWEVER, I still think DeMarcus is the better player. He is faster than Shawne, light-years better in coverage, and is more disciplined against the run. Rarely do you ever see him get too far upfield on a run play and lose the edge. I would take him 99x out of a 100 over Shawne. I think DeMarcus was the MVP of that game. And with all the defensive playmakers out there, that is saying a lot.

Oh, btw, if you look at the play where Addai "pwned" (do you play WOW?) him, you'll see him set his feet and drive through Addai, as he was expecting a run. Only he didn't follow through because he realized halfway into it that Addai didn't have the ball, but it was too late to get the QB after that. Still, it was a great play by Addai and you have to give him credit. There is a reason that the Colts have been gushing over his pass protection. You saw it right there.

Quote:
- Having that said, they finally move Ware around, and the results speak for themselves. Im curious to see if he can keep it up for the rest of the year.
I couldn't agree more. For my in-depth thoughts on this topic, go back to the previous page. I wrote at length about it. Hopefully this will force BP to be more creative with DeMarcus to keep him away from double teams, along with confusing the QB. I'm extremely excited to see how this develops moving forward.

Quote:
- I didn't see enough of Carp. He's still learning and not ready to be fulltime yet. But he shows flashes of brilliance, and he'll be a good player for you guys in the following years.
I know you've always like Carpenter, and I really liked what I saw. A little more work, and he might get Parcells to the point where he just can't keep him off the field.

Quote:
- BP is gonna make Fasano run until he vomits on Monday....
I'm a little confused on this one. Did you see him mess up something I didn't? Fasano made one of the biggest catches of the game on that final drive.

Quote:
This division is between us and you. Its gonna take a collapse from us, and a big hot streak from you to win the division. You guys have a poor division record, and even with our current injuries, we should easily beat Philly and Skins to go at worst 5-1 in the division. With that, it would be near impossible for you guys to win the division over us. But the wild card is a very strong possibilty. The NFC is such a crapshoot right now, I wouldn't be suprised if an 8-8 team gets in. Dallas should be a wildcard. Unless we collapse, I don't think you win the division though.
I don't know, dude. With your injuries and lackluster QB play, things are looking scary right now. Your whole defense is based upon pressure from the front four. With Strahan out, Umenyiora out/hurting, Tuck out for the year and DTs masquerading as DEs, things could get ugly the next couple of weeks. If Mike isn't back by the Cowboy/Giant game, I really, really like our chances. Not only that, but missing your LT is probably the second worst thing that could happen to you aside from losing Eli. It will all come down to the game between us and you. I say whoever wins that game definitely wins the division.

Remember, you guys have looked very spotty in beating the Bucs and Texans narrowly (at home, no less), and then got just dismantled by the Bears in the second half. Again, at home. Things aren't looking too good right now, but we've all seen how quickly stuff can turn around. It will be great to watch, though. I'm as pumped as I've been since the preseason.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious to see everyones draft board this far into the season

First Round Top 5

1- Jake Long....give me this guy..another smart talented white lineman for parcells to love. He has been pretty consistant and thats something that parcells loves in a player...not to mention he's tough and fundementally sound. I just wonder if he leaves early...i'm thinkin its about 40-60 he comes out.

2- Justin Blalock...if long is off the board...which seems to be likely granted a playoff berth...he would sure do alot to solidify our line. Whether it be inside or outside he could give us some dependability and someone to f'ing run behind in 3rd and short. Him and Gurode teamed up in the middle is alot of beef.

3- Ted Ginn perfect replacement for TG not to mention he could improve our return game. He may have the dropsies but he is a playmaker in every sense of the word.

4- Sam Baker...we need a replacement for flo sooner rather then later...he could also play rt or lt...something parcells has to love.

5- Reggie Nelson....he has been under my radar for the past couple of weeks...if the rumors are true about him leaving..it could put us in perfect position to pick him up late in the first round...I really love him as our FS. But wouldn't be satisfied with the pick unless the 4 above him were gone.

Second Round Top 2

1- Tank Tyler...stud is about all I can say about this guy. He has been a force all year...and personally I'd love to see him here...however he won't be there late in round 2...probabally require some moving...which isn't out of the question being that NT isn't deep in this draft.

2- Tom Zbitkowski....I've pretty much exhausted why i'd love this pick...but I really think what he could add on special teams plus his upgrade over Davis makes him a solid 2nd round select. This pick could be very similar to Fasano last year....gritty parcells type player from ND with the weis connection.

Third Round
Get f'ing Josh Brown from seattle kthx

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
I'm curious to see everyones draft board this far into the season

First Round Top 5

1- Jake Long....give me this guy..another smart talented white lineman for parcells to love. He has been pretty consistant and thats something that parcells loves in a player...not to mention he's tough and fundementally sound. I just wonder if he leaves early...i'm thinkin its about 40-60 he comes out.

2- Justin Blalock...if long is off the board...which seems to be likely granted a playoff berth...he would sure do alot to solidify our line. Whether it be inside or outside he could give us some dependability and someone to f'ing run behind in 3rd and short. Him and Gurode teamed up in the middle is alot of beef.

3- Ted Ginn perfect replacement for TG not to mention he could improve our return game. He may have the dropsies but he is a playmaker in every sense of the word.

4- Sam Baker...we need a replacement for flo sooner rather then later...he could also play rt or lt...something parcells has to love.

5- Reggie Nelson....he has been under my radar for the past couple of weeks...if the rumors are true about him leaving..it could put us in perfect position to pick him up late in the first round...I really love him as our FS. But wouldn't be satisfied with the pick unless the 4 above him were gone.

Second Round Top 2

1- Tank Tyler...stud is about all I can say about this guy. He has been a force all year...and personally I'd love to see him here...however he won't be there late in round 2...probabally require some moving...which isn't out of the question being that NT isn't deep in this draft.

2- Tom Zbitkowski....I've pretty much exhausted why i'd love this pick...but I really think what he could add on special teams plus his upgrade over Davis makes him a solid 2nd round select. This pick could be very similar to Fasano last year....gritty parcells type player from ND with the weis connection.

Third Round
Get f'ing Josh Brown from seattle kthx
Me and you thinking the exact same thing.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting D....the real question is right now would you take Tank after pick 25?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
- Outside that one whiff, Flo didn't do too bad. The oline as a whole has played significantly better since Romo came in. Coincidence? We all know Bledsoe makes his lines look much worst than they are. Now we can all finally agree on it without debate.
This is a sore spot for me. We have a lot of posters on this board who are such fanboy freakouts when it comes to evaluating our O-Line, especially in pass pro. Flozell played one of his best games of the season. And our line as a whole played very well in the passing game. People think just because a team is smaller, than you can just mow them over in the run game, it doesn't work like that. With the quickness advantage they have, their D-lineman can shoot gaps at an incredible rate and blow a play up before it has time to develop. It's not like they just stand there and wait to get pushed backwards.
I think you're wrong a Flozell didn't play well most of the game. The whole first half he was a big part of the reason we couldn't get anything going on offense.

After the first couple of series he got used to the speed rush and getting Freeney to go all the way around him, but he still got beat on the spin move through the entire game.

Last year everyone thought that Flozell and LA were making too many mistakes for us to be successful and I guess hope got the best of me and I thought Flozell would be a better player this year. I hope that we're not dependent on Flozell next year. He has the potential to be a great player, but he makes a few mistakes each game that can kill your team.

I'm not really as down on Rivera as everyone else. He's not playing like a Pro Bowl level we thought he would when we signed him, but I think he's been a solid starter.

For a team without a lot of needs going into the offseason I think we should address the offensive line and bring in some youth and potential. When in doubt just solidify the offensive and defensive front and you won't go wrong.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Tyler isn't the type of player I want for our defense. I want someone who can rush the passer in the nickel and bring high energy as a NT for a series or two a game. Ferguson is dominating right now and I think he'll play for a few more years.

That being said I couldn't really get mad at the pick because you're adding another player at a critical position for the future.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though the combo of Carp/Singleton/Burnett was solid yesterday, I still would like to see us look at some FA's this year or even drafting some talent. The Steelers have yet to resign Joey Porter who is the final year of his deal. Part of me believes they might not sign him. Ware and Porter both play WLB, I wonder if we'd consider signing Porter and moving one of them to SLB.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Even though the combo of Carp/Singleton/Burnett was solid yesterday, I still would like to see us look at some FA's this year or even drafting some talent. The Steelers have yet to resign Joey Porter who is the final year of his deal. Part of me believes they might not sign him. Ware and Porter both play WLB, I wonder if we'd consider signing Porter and moving one of them to SLB.
Both of them could play both sides....but do you lower carp back to nickel situations and keep him inside again?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think that we have enough young talent at OLB that bringing in an expensive player like Porter would be a waste of resources, not to mention the fact that it would stump the growth of our young guys. Let's not forget we just spent a first round pick on Carpenter and second round pick on Burnett. Both of them are potentially major playmakers in the making. He'll end up playing OLB for the majority of his career. So yeah, I'm not for bringing in Porter.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If we don't resign Singleton this offseason I could see us drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round based on potential.

I don't see us throwing a lot of money at Porter. This team seems to want to draft defensive talent and sign players on offense.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
If we don't resign Singleton this offseason I could see us drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round based on potential.

I don't see us throwing a lot of money at Porter. This team seems to want to draft defensive talent and sign players on offense.
Another key thing to mention is cap management....2 first round picks...and a second round pick plus a big time FA...at the OLB position doesn't make sense.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
I think he mixed it up more than anything. We did play some man with our ILBs, but, yes, they were in zone more often than not. Still, part of that was some Cover 1 with a safety in man and a ILB playing zone in the middle.

As far as Ware's coverage....... :shock: I'm beginning to think that he is the best coverage 3-4 OLB in the league. That 4th down play was something that media outlets and the vast majority of fans will never notice or comment on, but it was as dynamic a play as a sack-fumble or blowing up a ball carrier can ever be. I just can't express in words how bad a$$ that was. First he gets an excellent jam on Clark, throws the timing and spacing on his route off, and then he not only passes his man off to Henry, but takes Wayne from Henry (just a textbook exchange by the two) and completely demolishes him, taking him out of the play. You couldn't be more right, BBD, DeMarcus made that play. These are the things that the Merriman homers don't see.
This is something that Ware is lightyears ahead of Merriman in. He's incredible in his zone assignments, he is great at redirecting routes, and he makes qbs scared to throw in his direction. Scared to throw at a rushbacker? Thats when you know your coverage is good. Im not ready to put him up there as the best just yet, he's on par with Porter in coverage, and I think Adalius, Vrabel, and McGinest are better. But thats good company, and thats all you ask for out of a rushbacker. That was a huge play by Ware. I was surprised that they didn't point it out on TV. The way he sold man coverage on the TE, then pulled back and took Manning's second read to the floor, that was brilliant.

Quote:
Here's where I think you were wrong. The rule states that a ball carrier must be down by contact. The contact with Harrison was marginal, in the first place, and had nothing to do with him going down. However, the more important issue was whether or not Burnett had established possession of the ball when the contact occurred. It was pretty apparent that he didn't have it under control at the time. If he didn't, then the down by contact would not apply. I think there is a 92.6% chance that the play is upheld if challenged. But, yes, there was definitely a little contact there with Marvin.
I don't know man. If that wasn't down by contact, then neither was Fasano on his play. 90% of the people I talked to say it was down, and we also feel that Fasano was down. But you can't have it both ways. Either both were down by those implications, or neither were.

Quote:
Don't be mistaken. Romo played very poorly in the first half. Parcells said that the play on which he was picked off should have been thrown to the other side where, apparently, Owens was wide-open for a TD.

If you'll go back and look, it was simply a tale of two halves. The first half was a bit of an aberration, with all the TOs and the missed FGs, etc. But the second half was exactly the up and down the field game that most expected going in. We owned that team in the second half - at least as much as is possible against such a high quality opponent.

While it's true that we could have gotten ourselves in too deep with that first half performance on O, it's still a team game. Our D played great, and our size advantage really started to show up in the second half, just like you would have expected.
Yeah, it was a tale of 2 halves. One thing that has surprised me, is the playcalling. I expected a heavier running load when Romo was named starter. But instead, they just threw him right in there. Even in the 1st half, Dallas threw a lot of times where I felt they would/should run. That was very surprising, and unParcells like. I guess he has a lot of confidence in Romo, because I did not expect Dallas to throw as much as they are with him. Im old school, and if it were me, Id still want to run the ball more, but thats because I grew up playing a Cowher power style of football, so I have bias here.

Quote:

Agreed on the Bledsoe thing. He does make the O-line look bad, but Romo makes them look better than they are. I would say that they are somewhere in the 13-16 range in the NFL. They have allowed 3 sacks in Romo's 4 starts. Projected over an entire season, that would be the 2nd best rate in the league. How 'bout them apples?
Yup agreed here. The oline isn't horrible, its not the best either, its right in the middle. And with Romo, he knows how to buy time making them look even better. The run blocking does need to improve though. I think it would do Dallas some good to still invest in some oline in the offseason. Get some roadgrader OGs who can open up some holes. Its never a bad thing to have too much oline.

Quote:
I'm sure you're talking to me on this one. And to be honest, I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I have to admit that I am fully aware of the conflicting nature of using that line of reasoning on one side and not the other. Yeah, Ware's sack against Washington did come against Duckett. And yes he did get a free shot on Manning this game. However, let's not get carried away here. That is only the second sack he's gotten on the year against a RB/TE or unblocked. Merriman had two against Oakland, two against St. Louis, and another against (iirc) San Fran.

Still, at some point the numbers just begin to speak for themselves. Merriman has managed 8 1/2 sacks in 8 games. Right now he is just plain better rushing the passer than Ware. DeMarcus has really disappointed me with the use of his hands and his lack of counter-moves this year. He just doesn't bring that much of a repertoire to the table. Merriman isn't exactly Reggie White in that area, but he does a much better job than DeMarcus.

HOWEVER, I still think DeMarcus is the better player. He is faster than Shawne, light-years better in coverage, and is more disciplined against the run. Rarely do you ever see him get too far upfield on a run play and lose the edge. I would take him 99x out of a 100 over Shawne. I think DeMarcus was the MVP of that game. And with all the defensive playmakers out there, that is saying a lot.

Oh, btw, if you look at the play where Addai "pwned" (do you play WOW?) him, you'll see him set his feet and drive through Addai, as he was expecting a run. Only he didn't follow through because he realized halfway into it that Addai didn't have the ball, but it was too late to get the QB after that. Still, it was a great play by Addai and you have to give him credit. There is a reason that the Colts have been gushing over his pass protection. You saw it right there.
I didn't mean to single you out if thats what you thought, because youre not the only one who's said it. Your right about the Addai play, for some reason I forgot that it happened because he bit hard on the PA, but regardless, like you said, you gotta give Addai props for one hell of a block. We all have beaten the Merriman debate to death. You and me both agree on the lack of pass rush moves by Ware. He definately needs to improve upon this to improve his pass rushing. And at the moment Merriman is the better rusher, but who knows what will happen now. With BP moving Ware around, this could be the spark he needed to really break out. Im not going to get carried away after one game though, which is why I feel it will be real interesting to see how the rest of his season unfolds.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. For my in-depth thoughts on this topic, go back to the previous page. I wrote at length about it. Hopefully this will force BP to be more creative with DeMarcus to keep him away from double teams, along with confusing the QB. I'm extremely excited to see how this develops moving forward.
Yup, they should try moving him inside at ILB on some plays too. I think he can blow up a Guard and generate pressure up the gut. They still don't do any delayed blitzes or stunt blitzes though. This is something I think that they should add to really confuse the protection schemes.

Quote:
I know you've always like Carpenter, and I really liked what I saw. A little more work, and he might get Parcells to the point where he just can't keep him off the field.
Yeah, he still has some ways to go against the run. He needs to muslce up a little, and work on his gap assignments. I think thats why BP isn't putting him in fulltime. His pass rush/coverage is great though, and he adds an extra dimension to your defense on 3rd down. For him to be fulltime though, its gonna take a couple more games getting used to gap assignments. Thats something he can only learn with experience though. I expect him to see more playing time in 3 weeks, after he gets used to defending the run. And I still don't see that turtle speed everyone was talking about. He seems pretty quick to me.

Quote:
I'm a little confused on this one. Did you see him mess up something I didn't? Fasano made one of the biggest catches of the game on that final drive.
I was implying that BP should obviously be upset about what he did after his catch. He barely got touched, the refs couldve called that either way initially, and if that happened it would all be for not. And its not like it was obvious that he was touched, I initially felt that no one touched him either until I saw the replay. In fact, if you look at the replay, not only are Colts players swarming the ball afterwards, but right after he does that, a couple of Cowboy players realize that he just did a bone headed move and try to grab the ball. The only person unaware at that point was Fasano, and a stupid mental mistake like that couldve been huge. BP will definately let him know about it, I guarantee it.

Quote:
I don't know, dude. With your injuries and lackluster QB play, things are looking scary right now. Your whole defense is based upon pressure from the front four. With Strahan out, Umenyiora out/hurting, Tuck out for the year and DTs masquerading as DEs, things could get ugly the next couple of weeks. If Mike isn't back by the Cowboy/Giant game, I really, really like our chances. Not only that, but missing your LT is probably the second worst thing that could happen to you aside from losing Eli. It will all come down to the game between us and you. I say whoever wins that game definitely wins the division.

Remember, you guys have looked very spotty in beating the Bucs and Texans narrowly (at home, no less), and then got just dismantled by the Bears in the second half. Again, at home. Things aren't looking too good right now, but we've all seen how quickly stuff can turn around. It will be great to watch, though. I'm as pumped as I've been since the preseason.
For some unexplanable reason, I feel confident. This game tonight will be a telling sign. If the team loses and/or Eli plays horribly, then I'll start to panic. But right now, Im not entirely worried, we just have to manage for a couple more games until one of our DEs can come back. If we do win, we'll be 7-3 and right back on track. At that point, Id be thinking 2 seed to be honest with you. But my attitude about it can all change depending on today. Today's game is huge in terms of expectations for the rest of the regular season.

Regardless, I think the 2 wildcard spots are between NYG/Dallas, and Carolina/NO. Those are the teams in it. I think the rest are out of it for the most part.

And GO NINERS! I never thought Id say that, but the more they beat up on Seattle, the better the playoffs look for both of us.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:

I've been debating whether or not Dallas needs to spend their first rounder on a WR, but the more I think about it, the more I think that it's not a necessity. I think Bill thinks he has something in Miles Austin or Sam Hurd. The fact that he didn't risk putting either of them on the Practice Squad and making them available to the rest of the league, says a lot... as he treasures every spot on the 53 man roster. Then we also have Crayton who has shown flashes. He's safe in the #3 hole. Yes, Terry Glenn is aging, but he's one of those guys that can play effectively until his late 30's so long as he's healthy. He breaks the mold when you start talking about guys slowing down after their 30th birthday. ...and honestly, I think TO is here until the day he retires. He'll be here longer than Parcells will and nobody will get him the ball more than Romo. Only thing you guys need to get used to is the thought of TO's name getting into the Ring of Honor. :shock:

So yeah, I've concluded that it's not in our best interest to spend a first rounder in a WR unless his name is Calvin Johnson. I'd prefer to look at FA or trade.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Did any of you catch the play of Marcus McNeil last night? Man what a monster he is! Dallas missed the boat on him.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:31 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Did any of you catch the play of Marcus McNeil last night? Man what a monster he is! Dallas missed the boat on him.
So did the other 30 teams in the league....but I agree he has looked damn good all year.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
So did the other 30 teams in the league....but I agree he has looked damn good all year.
Where did he end up going in the draft again???
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Second round 50th overall

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Second round 50th overall
Well, it's a good thing this year's class looks talented. A guy like Aaron Sears in the 3rd would be a steal.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Hey guys this is kind of embarassing but I'm going to come out of the closet and admit that I am in fact a Romosexual and I'm not ashamed of it.

I never thought I'd say this but I miss Billy Cundiff.