Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default First Quarter Offense

Alright, we're 5-1 despite not scoring a TD in the first quarter, but you would think it would catch up to us eventually. I think we should work to get in more of a rhythm early in games by getting some quick passes in; pretty much what the Pats did to us. Spread offense with 3 WR, TE, and RB. Right now, it seems like we're getting into too many 3rd and longs early by running right up the middle on first down/getting penalties. This would:

a) Improve WR confidence- the beginning the game today was pretty scary as both T.O. and Hurd dropped passes, contributing to us falling behind 14-0. Get them some YAC stuff early and it should pay off.
b) Allow Romo to get into a rhythm. The Pats were scared and on their heels during the end of the 2nd quarter/early 3rd quarter. Unfortunately, a couple of penalties didn't help our cause and we could've keep their offense off the field.
c) Solve some of our penalty problems. If guys don't have to block as long they shouldn't draw so many penalties.
d) Convince Romo to look to his checkdowns early if nothing is there- get some positive yards on 1st/2nd. If we can come out with something other than 3rd and long a lot of the stuff the Pats did opens up with the TE, RB, and 2nd-3rd WR. Brady was 11-13 on third downs with 11 first downs! Why? They didn't put themselves in third and long. This was why we lost the game, above all else.
e) Open up the running game if teams go with a nickel back. Barber would be licking his chops staring down some 5-11 180 lb corner.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone else noticed that we have run on every team when they put 7 in the box. Happened again today. Happens every sunday. Teams play 7 in the box and we run and get atleast 4. I don't care if the safety moves up...by the time he is at the action it's 4 yards down field...give Romo two plays at the LOS and let him pick...I really don't think it should be this hard.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of the blame has to be put on Romo's shoulders, when talking about our slow starts. Tony's an excitable guy...his accuracy is always a little off when we begin games. It's just nerves...something he can def. get over but, it seems as though, he's always a little shaky at the start. It takes him a little longer than most, to get in rythm, atleast that is how it has been for this season, for the most part. He'll get over it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well we started today's game with 2 hand offs to Julia Jones that went no where. Hardly Romo's fault there. Second possession, first play Julia Jones number was called once again and once again, nothing.

Then NE comes out and barely missed a reverse flea flicker that Moss almost takes to the house.

What I noticed? NE came to play big boy ball from the start. DAL decided to dip their toes in the water to see if it was warm enough to jump in. The play calling in the first quarter has to improve.

To date, JG hasn't even attempted 1 trick play... has he? If so, I've missed it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well we started today's game with 2 hand offs to Julia Jones that went no where. Hardly Romo's fault there. Second possession, first play Julia Jones number was called once again and once again, nothing.

Then NE comes out and barely missed a reverse flea flicker that Moss almost takes to the house.

What I noticed? NE came to play big boy ball from the start. DAL decided to dip their toes in the water to see if it was warm enough to jump in. The play calling in the first quarter has to improve.

To date, JG hasn't even attempted 1 trick play... has he? If so, I've missed it.
I have to say...those carries by Julius were hardly his fault...Wilfork was in the back field right when Julius got the ball. Our offensive line takes a while to get going as well, it seems...atleast w/ run blocking. It's funny how much better they block when Barber is in.

As for trick plays...yeah, nothing really comes to mind...I'd love to see a flea-flicker.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If its Romo...If it's the Oline....if it's the running backs...

This all has to do with the coaching.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:16 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I have to say...those carries by Julius were hardly his fault...Wilfork was in the back field right when Julius got the ball. Our offensive line takes a while to get going as well, it seems...atleast w/ run blocking. It's funny how much better they block when Barber is in.

As for trick plays...yeah, nothing really comes to mind...I'd love to see a flea-flicker.
Julia has no vision. He doesn't cut back, he doesn't avoid the pile, he doesn't find the hole. He's only good in the open field if the OL opens up a 5 yard gap out of the gates. It is his fault. Barber's success and Julia's failure is not as dependent on the OL as much as you assume.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Julia has no vision. He doesn't cut back, he doesn't avoid the pile, he doesn't find the hole. He's only good in the open field if the OL opens up a 5 yard gap out of the gates. It is his fault. Barber's success and Julia's failure is not as dependent on the OL as much as you assume.
Marion makes things happen...i really don't think our run blocking is really that good to be honest. A lot of the time Julius is getting hit before he even makes it to the line of scrimmage, where as Barber would make a move to avoid this. Julius isnt a bad back...given our run blocking...I'd say Marion is the better fit but, Julius isn't that bad. He just needs more space to make things happen.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Marion makes things happen...i really don't think our run blocking is really that good to be honest. A lot of the time Julius is getting hit before he even makes it to the line of scrimmage, where as Barber would make a move to avoid this. Julius isnt a bad back...given our run blocking...I'd say Marion is the better fit but, Julius isn't that bad. He just needs more space to make things happen.
Our run blocking behind Gurode and Davis are our only saving grace. Flozell can still hit his spots from time to time, but he's fading into the sunset. Kosier and Columbo have never been known as run blockers. Better pass blockers. Boy it would've been great to have Jake Long next year. Free isn't a run blocker, but hopefully Marten is. I really hope Marten develops in time to be ready to take over for Columbo when his contract is up. I have above average confidence in his ability to be the future RT of this ball club. Love his fire.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm telling you buddy, Free is a great run blocker. Before last season, it was what he was known for. I still wouldnt be completely shocked if Flozell came back next year.

As for the draft...who knows at this point, I cant even predict anything because, those damn Browns don't want to cooperate. I still dont think we'll touch Tackle.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS