Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
How can people forget so quickly? This is the exact crap that cowboysforever--and all his aliases--was pushing during his breif and tumultuous stay here. I can't say that I agree with Thule in saying the RobertinbigD is him. I haven't seen near enough to be able to substantiate that.

Anyway, his main point was the Bradie James was slower than Peyton Manning, and that he couldn't do what was needed because of it. I don't know about you all, but I remember the scouting report on Bradie being that he had a great combination of size and speed. Hell, he started out as a WLB (in a 4-3) for crying out loud! Needless to say, I don't agree with this assessment. Both Bradie and Akin had moments in which they played at Pro Bowl levels during last season. The problem was that when one was playing his best, the other was usually struggling. They never got it going at the same time, and the defense showed it. People need to quit freaking out.

This defense is a deep patrol away from being dominant. We gave up so many big plays last year that it torpedoed most of what we were trying to do elsewhere. I think with the new season, and a little help at FS, we can break out as a top 5 team in the league very easily. Last season it was evident that we had the talent, we just struggle to put it all together at the same time. Unless Wade is completely inept as the head man, I fully expect us to be near the top of the league. There is no doubt that we have the talent that it takes. Our ILBs are fine, so are our OLBs, our DEs, and our CBs. NT is fine, too, though an injury there could kill us. Really, the question for our defense lies at Safety, where we need to get more out of Roy, and see substantial improvement at FS. There is no need to start freaking out and calling for change just for the sake of change.

DMW, may I ask if you think the our ILB and SS/FS play was the cause of our demise?

I get you like Bradie but this discussion (SS and FS included too) was started on TV the other day by Marshall Faulk in his analysis of Cowboy needs. Faulk specifically said the team lacked speed at LB and SS. A poster then started this string interestingly enough.

I can not disagree with the Faulk technical analysis even if WE believe that can be solved somehow with existing personnel (e.g., play smarter and faster).

Still, I think it a good discussion for a Cowboy fan and not so crazy given we may have lost two LB from the 2006 team and that there are some good safeties in FA and the Draft.

Are you in Dallas by the way?
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10066679


Remember this link: You have two players that really should look at:

"ZAK DeOSSIE, BROWN (Round 4) -- I don't care that Zak played in the Ivy League; he is perfect for the 3-4 OLB spot. He runs 4.6 in the 40 and an outstanding 4.2 in the short shuttle. He's strong (6-4, 250) and productive. He has long-snapping skills like his father Steve (former NFL player) and he knows the game."

With 4.2 short shuttle, he can play inside or Outside.


"Paul Soliai DL Soliai (6-4, 332) ran his 40s in 5.02 and 5.12 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.53 and the three-cone drill in 7.77. He also had a 30-inch vertical jump, but a right elbow sprain prevented him from doing the bench press."

IMO, Soliai maybe the best NT prospect in this draft. 4.53 SS.
Both these guys would be A+++++++++ picks after the 4th round. I love it.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
DSlay4
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Another point I'd like to make about Bradie James is that he's really not that good. When Have you seen him shed a blocker to make a tackle for a loss? when have u even seen him make a tackle for a loss?

He's really not even that good against the run. Remember against New Orleans...Mike Karney was KILLING Bradie James with his lead blocks. Honestly I'd rather have a safety getting burned than a linebacker getting blownup by a fullback.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
?? references ??

Either way, Spencer can be had in the second though. So trade down if need be. I like Woodley but I think he is a MLB who can slide across the line in rush situations -- I know this sounds nuts but he can cover FBs and is very stout. He could make a great ILB for a 3-4.
What did I say that needed referencing?
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,651
Reputation: 1352556
Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10066679


Remember this link: You have two players that really should look at:

"ZAK DeOSSIE, BROWN (Round 4) -- I don't care that Zak played in the Ivy League; he is perfect for the 3-4 OLB spot. He runs 4.6 in the 40 and an outstanding 4.2 in the short shuttle. He's strong (6-4, 250) and productive. He has long-snapping skills like his father Steve (former NFL player) and he knows the game."

With 4.2 short shuttle, he can play inside or Outside.


"Paul Soliai DL Soliai (6-4, 332) ran his 40s in 5.02 and 5.12 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.53 and the three-cone drill in 7.77. He also had a 30-inch vertical jump, but a right elbow sprain prevented him from doing the bench press."

IMO, Soliai maybe the best NT prospect in this draft. 4.53 SS.
I wouldn't mind both guys to be picked up. Next to Tank, Soiai is the best NT in the draft. And I don't know about Zak outside as a rusher, but he has great size and measurables for it, but as a ILB he would be great.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
What did I say that needed referencing?
You said: "HAHA Geez I was really hoping you were gonna come out and admit it...but still old same cowboysforever in there. It's alright robertinbigd you've matured up abit and adapted to the board I can respect that. I think it was pretty obvious to the rest of us this is your 3rd or 4th s/n...no means to be ashamed man you've came along ways."


This is why I asked for some reference point to this. What are we talking about?
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I wouldn't mind both guys to be picked up. Next to Tank, Soiai is the best NT in the draft. And I don't know about Zak outside as a rusher, but he has great size and measurables for it, but as a ILB he would be great.
On Zak, the one thing to take note of is that if he can really play b/c of his athletics then he will be gone by end of 3rd. Day 1 Special Teams, Long Snapper, Smart, Pedigree and potential starter in 2-3 years .... unless he messes up somewhere someone will take a flyer on him and let pass a big name school guy.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I was reading this today and it was almost scary...take a look at page one about half way down the board when I go deep.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,784
Reputation: 1970937
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

LMAO@how much negative rep Tnew had, thats horrible...how does anyone get that much negative rep lol
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Earl Bennett's Nuts
Posts: 3,271
Reputation: 630
Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
LMAO@how much negative rep Tnew had, thats horrible...how does anyone get that much negative rep lol
he was a horrible cowboys homer who said Tnew was better than Bailey and any other DB, along with other homerisms
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: vb
Posts: 12,598
Reputation: 12392
neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
LMAO@how much negative rep Tnew had, thats horrible...how does anyone get that much negative rep lol
Please see:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...166#post206166
__________________



Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,784
Reputation: 1970937
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I was reading this today and it was almost scary...take a look at page one about half way down the board when I go deep.
yea props for calling Spencer, although i would of welcomed Moss with open arms, hometown guy and very athletic, you pretty much hit it on the head with Spencer...who you calling for this year ;)


And alot of us really wanted Tyler, sucks we didnt go after him, I think he could of been a difference maker on us, do we address NT in free agency or the draft this year or just see what Tank gives us the 2nd half of the year
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
yea props for calling Spencer, although i would of welcomed Moss with open arms, hometown guy and very athletic, you pretty much hit it on the head with Spencer...who you calling for this year ;)


And alot of us really wanted Tyler, sucks we didnt go after him, I think he could of been a difference maker on us, do we address NT in free agency or the draft this year or just see what Tank gives us the 2nd half of the year
Right now I'm still sold on jerry moving up to get his guy.
But lets remember. Last year we really had no idea until we started bringing guys in. That really helped us narrow it down...we brought in 4/5 DE/OLB hybrids it was a good give away that was the direction we were gonna go if depth was there.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
This defense is a deep patrol away from being dominant. We gave up so many big plays last year that it torpedoed most of what we were trying to do elsewhere. I think with the new season, and a little help at FS, we can break out as a top 5 team in the league very easily. Last season it was evident that we had the talent, we just struggle to put it all together at the same time. Unless Wade is completely inept as the head man, I fully expect us to be near the top of the league. There is no doubt that we have the talent that it takes. Our ILBs are fine, so are our OLBs, our DEs, and our CBs. NT is fine, too, though an injury there could kill us. Really, the question for our defense lies at Safety, where we need to get more out of Roy, and see substantial improvement at FS. There is no need to start freaking out and calling for change just for the sake of change.
I think this summarizes most individuals feelings on the issue .... from last year. Not picking on anyone, jusss sayin'

I was down on our ILB in coverage. So far, we are no better in spite of Roy W playing LB. We still struggle in zone or man.
a) I was really down on Bradie b/c of his coverage. I will admit he is much more productive stopping the run this year in the new scheme and faster. Good for him. His coverage skills ... not so much.
b) Akin, I dunno. Has he made a play this year? I am surprised.

Our safeties, where bad last year but had hope for Watkins
a) Roy is same old and in fact is playing as much in a LB role as anything. We still have major problems playing coverage in Base D b/c he is what he is as a SS.
b) Hamlin seems to not understand Cover 1/2 as a FS. NE was a great example of it. NE could not run and he still was over committing to play action and biting on short routes. With that said, he is a marked improvement over Roy as a SS.
c) Watkins has been invisible until the bogus Interference penalty. That is a good thing right now for our FS.
d) Wanted Henry at FS but we signed Hamlin, kept Roy and cut our best nickel corner (Glenn).

I felt our D line needed to be reconfigured to get better rush and improve the NT situation
a) Spears to NT. Backup Fergie
b) Hatcher to start
c) Other guys are JAGS. Raliff plays with spunk but not a NT as pointed out.
d) Tank should help.

I said let go TO, get a WR in draft 07 and get two new guards. 1 of 3 compeleted and results positive. Other 2, well TO hands still yuck and Bowe/Rice/Jarrett would have made a good solution given our other WRs are sepping up nicely. Kosier is a JAG,

Gentlemen, said I'd be back after some of the "forecasts could be validated." So now was a good time. Sad we lost BP also. Happy we are 5-1. Schedule gets tougher though and the NFC games will be brutal if we don't get the coverage fixed.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,489
Reputation: 2297261
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The longer this offseason goes on the bigger weakness our OLB position seems to be. I really think that if we are looking at a rush backer that Spencer should be our guy. I think he just has another dimension as the other rush backers in this draft. Moss has decent hips and a array of moves...but doesn't really have that initial punch. Moses has stiff hips and although he could make the transition...the curve looks a bit to big for me. I love woodley as a player...but his height will always be a concern for me...unless we are gonna draft him specifically as a rush backer...similar to the way Anderson was utilized in Chicago. I have a feeling I'm forgetting someone...but can't pull it off the top of my head. I just then Spencer is the complete package. Spencer probably has the most balanced guys I mentioned..I think he would be the guy to make the biggest impact from day one of the other projects listed. He has been my #1 RLB since the end of the season.
Hopefully we will start to see that dimension that other rush backers don't have, cause so far we haven't seen it.

Good guess though.

I would rather have Moss to this day, but that's always been just personal preference.

I thought Carp would unseat on of our ILBs by now, but that hasn't been the case. Something needs to happen with him soon.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Hopefully we will start to see that dimension that other rush backers don't have, cause so far we haven't seen it.

Good guess though.

I would rather have Moss to this day, but that's always been just personal preference.

I thought Carp would unseat on of our ILBs by now, but that hasn't been the case. Something needs to happen with him soon.
Ya it would be nice to see him take advantage of the 1 on 1's he's getting.

One thing that he has done way better than anyone could have expected is stacking up against the run. Not one DE from the last draft could have started from day 1 and been able to not be a weak spot like he has. I'm actually scared at how well he works on the LOS standing up...if he works on his hands he can still be a force.

I've watched a couple of games with Moss...and I haven't seen him do anything special. Hell he only has one sack and 0 TFL. He is playing the exact same position that he played at Florida. Spencer has vastly outplayed him imo. We are still talking about a guy who is in the transition from putting his hand on the ground.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,489
Reputation: 2297261
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Ya it would be nice to see him take advantage of the 1 on 1's he's getting.

One thing that he has done way better than anyone could have expected is stacking up against the run. Not one DE from the last draft could have started from day 1 and been able to not be a weak spot like he has. I'm actually scared at how well he works on the LOS standing up...if he works on his hands he can still be a force.

I've watched a couple of games with Moss...and I haven't seen him do anything special. Hell he only has one sack and 0 TFL. He is playing the exact same position that he played at Florida. Spencer has vastly outplayed him imo. We are still talking about a guy who is in the transition from putting his hand on the ground.
Well I think it's still too early for both guys. Moss hasn't had nearly the amount of playing time that Spencer has had... I'm not upset that we have Spencer, just saying I wish he would give us more pressure on the QB. He has been good at the run, a credit to him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.