Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
That and not streaking Shockey all the goddamned time. When Eli calls the plays in the no huddle, he uses Shockey as an intermediate route, and the results speak for themselves. When TC and Huffy run the show, we streak him every play with no dump off, so Eli has a choice between.

1. Deepball
2. Deepball
3. Deepball some more.

Its a joke. I honestly don't see any adjustments to our game unless the coaching staff is replaced. We've had the same offensive issues here since TC came on board, and it doesn't look like he's willing to change. So we're in a sticky situation right now. Part of me wants to see us tank the season so we can get TC fired, because that seems like the only way we will ever get a change in the playbook. But the other half of me says that if we can gut this out, and somehow regroup, we have a shot at the SB with this crapshoot NFC conference this year.
You know it's funny, I was watching ESPN and someone made the astute comment (wish I could remember who) that Eli Manning and Mike Vick need to swap offenses. Eli needs the short-intermediate routes of a WCO hybrid, and Vick needs an O that just goes deep all the time. Maybe you guys can work out a trade.
It'd work out in madden

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
That and not streaking Shockey all the goddamned time. When Eli calls the plays in the no huddle, he uses Shockey as an intermediate route, and the results speak for themselves. When TC and Huffy run the show, we streak him every play with no dump off, so Eli has a choice between.

1. Deepball
2. Deepball
3. Deepball some more.

Its a joke. I honestly don't see any adjustments to our game unless the coaching staff is replaced. We've had the same offensive issues here since TC came on board, and it doesn't look like he's willing to change. So we're in a sticky situation right now. Part of me wants to see us tank the season so we can get TC fired, because that seems like the only way we will ever get a change in the playbook. But the other half of me says that if we can gut this out, and somehow regroup, we have a shot at the SB with this crapshoot NFC conference this year.
You know it's funny, I was watching ESPN and someone made the astute comment (wish I could remember who) that Eli Manning and Mike Vick need to swap offenses. Eli needs the short-intermediate routes of a WCO hybrid, and Vick needs an O that just goes deep all the time. Maybe you guys can work out a trade.
Mora for Huffnagel? Thats like trading a Hyundai for a Daewoo, lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the NFL - and especially Giants fans. Two weeks ago the media, everyone in and around the NFL, and especially their fans are swaggering around talking the Giants up as the third best team in the NFL, the odds-on favorite to beat the Bears and go to the SB, the team with no weaknesses, blah blah blah. Then all of a sudden they get dismantled by the Bears, followed by just an ugly, ugly performance against a depleted Jacksonville team (is losing Mike Peterson, Reggie Hayward, Donovin Darius, their FS [I forget his name] and having a limited Marcus Stroud on the field really that far away from the spot the Giants are in?) with a string of horrid performances by their QB and the loss of their LT, and suddenly Coughlin is a horrible coach, management is lost in their own bodies, and the finger is pointed in all directions.

The funny thing, to me, is that the Giants were never as good as people were making them out to be when they were riding high, and they are not as bad as they seem now. The one thing I have said all through the year is that they are built around the pressure from their defensive front. If Mike and Osi aren't getting to the QB, then the entire defense falls apart, much like last night. Obviously, with not just one but BOTH of those guys out, it's going to get ugly.

The one thing that concerns me is that Eli has looked positively downright bad the last 4 weeks. Even in the game against us (to me, the best game as a team they have played all year) he was less than impressive. His stat line was mediocre, and it's been all down hill from there. You can attribute part of that to losing Petitgout, but it started before that injury, and there have been plays where he has had plenty of time, but just plain missed. With Eli playing at a PB level and their DEs getting consistent pressure, I think they can be a team that has a shot at making a run. But with on or both of those elements out of play, they simply can't overcome the weaknesses they have up the middle against the run and their terrible pass coverage.

Still, next week the Giants could blow out the Titans by 40, the Cowboys could choke on their chickens at home against the lowly Bucs, and everything could be turned on its head yet again. This is the NFL. One thing that has been driven home in my mind (even though I knew it before) over the last 6 weeks is that the season takes way too many twists and turns for me to over react to a win or a loss. I have nearly ceased entirely watching ESPN because they just ride the waves with every single team. The Giants are a great example. Right now the Cowboys are up, the Giants are down and Philly and Wash are out. Who knows, maybe Garcia will end up leading the Eagles to a SB! Whatever the outcome, you just have to try and keep an even keel. This thing is far from over.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't look now, but Dallas is currently ranked t-5th in the league in TO differential at +6, and is actually a whopping third in total takeaways with 23. :shock:

Maybe this defense is ready to take off. Wow.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
I love the NFL - and especially Giants fans. Two weeks ago the media, everyone in and around the NFL, and especially their fans are swaggering around talking the Giants up as the third best team in the NFL, the odds-on favorite to beat the Bears and go to the SB, the team with no weaknesses, blah blah blah. Then all of a sudden they get dismantled by the Bears, followed by just an ugly, ugly performance against a depleted Jacksonville team (is losing Mike Peterson, Reggie Hayward, Donovin Darius, their FS [I forget his name] and having a limited Marcus Stroud on the field really that far away from the spot the Giants are in?) with a string of horrid performances by their QB and the loss of their LT, and suddenly Coughlin is a horrible coach, management is lost in their own bodies, and the finger is pointed in all directions.
We've actually been criticizing TC and the coaching staff all year. Its not something we've just begun to do. Heck, we've criticized our offensive playbook in the offseason. These problems are nothing new, and naturally they'll rear their head when the team loses.

Quote:
The funny thing, to me, is that the Giants were never as good as people were making them out to be when they were riding high, and they are not as bad as they seem now. The one thing I have said all through the year is that they are built around the pressure from their defensive front. If Mike and Osi aren't getting to the QB, then the entire defense falls apart, much like last night. Obviously, with not just one but BOTH of those guys out, it's going to get ugly.
Of course. We lost 3 major pieces on defense, thats equivalent to you guys losing Ware, Roy Williams, and Bradie James. We are built on pressure, but name me a defense that can still succeed without their 3 best pass rushers. Take away the pass rushers, and any defense will crumble. If you guys lost Ware, Ellis and Carpenter, which is equivalent to our injuries, your defense would take a huge dive as well. Im not putting our defense in the same breathe as yours, but naturally when you lose 3 integral pieces on defense, it will faulter no matter what you have in the other positions. You can have the best secondary in the world, no one can cover NFL receivers for 5 seconds. No pressure, and your pass defense crumbles, thats how it is for everyone.

Quote:
The one thing that concerns me is that Eli has looked positively downright bad the last 4 weeks. Even in the game against us (to me, the best game as a team they have played all year) he was less than impressive. His stat line was mediocre, and it's been all down hill from there. You can attribute part of that to losing Petitgout, but it started before that injury, and there have been plays where he has had plenty of time, but just plain missed. With Eli playing at a PB level and their DEs getting consistent pressure, I think they can be a team that has a shot at making a run. But with on or both of those elements out of play, they simply can't overcome the weaknesses they have up the middle against the run and their terrible pass coverage.
That pretty much sums it up. Eli is not playing well at all. If we're gonna go anywhere, he needs to improve bottomline. His mistakes are correctable, but if he doesn't correct them, then its over. I think you underestimate your interior D though. Pierce does a great job stopping the run up the gut, and Coffield has done a good job filling in at NT. Im not a huge Robbins fan, but he has been playing well. The problem now is with our Ends gone, teams are running offtackle and sweeps on us all day. Thats the issue. And because of that, we are moving our OLBs over the side more, and now that opens up the interior run. Thats the main issue, our vulnerability to the outside run now that our DEs are depleted. Its a dominoe effect for the rest of the defense.

Quote:
Still, next week the Giants could blow out the Titans by 40, the Cowboys could choke on their chickens at home against the lowly Bucs, and everything could be turned on its head yet again. This is the NFL. One thing that has been driven home in my mind (even though I knew it before) over the last 6 weeks is that the season takes way too many twists and turns for me to over react to a win or a loss. I have nearly ceased entirely watching ESPN because they just ride the waves with every single team. The Giants are a great example. Right now the Cowboys are up, the Giants are down and Philly and Wash are out. Who knows, maybe Garcia will end up leading the Eagles to a SB! Whatever the outcome, you just have to try and keep an even keel. This thing is far from over.
Yeah, the whole league is a crapshoot. Like I said before, it would not surprise me at all if a 8-8 team makes the playoffs in the NFC. Outside of Chicago, the 2nd best record in the NFC is 6-4 right now, shared by 5 teams. Just imagine how much will change just in this week alone when more of those teams win/lose and create some separation (if you can even call it that). I personally hate the parity, I think its getting to be too much, but thats just how it is. Imagine how hard it must be for gamblers...the bookies are making a killing.

That said, if the Giants can just survive this storm and hold serve, we can make the playoffs, maybe even win the division. We own all tiebreakers over all the 6-4 teams (except maybe Seattle I believe), so if we can just hold serve, we'll be ok. Thats a big IF considering how bad we are playing right now. But like you said, the season is so up and down, you just never know whats gonna happen next.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing that really killed the Giants last night was Manning, and he's a good QB, but he lost composure. Last night he looked confused out there. He didn't look like he had control of the offense. He wasn't relaxed, and he was trying too hard. On that one swing pass out to the flat near the beginning of the game, it was just a bad pass. He was thinking about it too much. If he just relaxes, keeps composure, and keeps himself under control, he'll win some games. If he gets frustrated and tense and loses focus, it's going to be hard for the Giants to win.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been the one that has consistently compared Eli Manning's statistics to Drew Bledsoes. I am the one that has shown that the difference in a QB's statistics from his second full year of starting to his third year of starting is not much of an improvement at all. I'm the one that has pointed out that Eli is an average NFL quarterback with an excellent 'pedigree' that gives him more credibility to some than he deserves.

I know the Giants fans don't like to hear it, but the fact is that Eli is an inaccurate passer. That inaccuracy leads to low completion percentage and high interception ratios. He is what he is. He wasn't an accurate passer in College. He hasn't been an accurate passer in the NFL.

He has a very good TE, an above average #1 WR, and one of the best all around RB's in the NFL. It's not like he doesn't have weapons.

Eli is not a bust of Akili Smith, Heath Shuler or Ryan Leaf proportions. What he is though is Drew Bledsoe. He'll have a 10 year career, but he'll never be a top 5 QB.

P.S. Bookies don't make more or less money based on parity. The line forces the parity. Bookies make money based on the total volume of the dollars bet on a game. Bookies make 10% (referred to as 'juice') on the lost money. In an ideal situation an equal amount of money is bet on both sides so the bookie makes 5% of the total amount bet on the game. The money is made in having accurate handicapping.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
I have been the one that has consistently compared Eli Manning's statistics to Drew Bledsoes. I am the one that has shown that the difference in a QB's statistics from his second full year of starting to his third year of starting is not much of an improvement at all. I'm the one that has pointed out that Eli is an average NFL quarterback with an excellent 'pedigree' that gives him more credibility to some than he deserves.

I know the Giants fans don't like to hear it, but the fact is that Eli is an inaccurate passer. That inaccuracy leads to low completion percentage and high interception ratios. He is what he is. He wasn't an accurate passer in College. He hasn't been an accurate passer in the NFL.

He has a very good TE, an above average #1 WR, and one of the best all around RB's in the NFL. It's not like he doesn't have weapons.

Eli is not a bust of Akili Smith, Heath Shuler or Ryan Leaf proportions. What he is though is Drew Bledsoe. He'll have a 10 year career, but he'll never be a top 5 QB.

P.S. Bookies don't make more or less money based on parity. The line forces the parity. Bookies make money based on the total volume of the dollars bet on a game. Bookies make 10% (referred to as 'juice') on the lost money. In an ideal situation an equal amount of money is bet on both sides so the bookie makes 5% of the total amount bet on the game. The money is made in having accurate handicapping.
On a similar note...

I am the one that has called Eli a cry baby...

I am the one that said Phillip Rivers was the best of that QB Class...

I am the one that can't stand watching him talk.

I am the one that said Eli is a cry baby... Oops! Did I already say that? LOL! JK. But not really. Just having fun with the truth... :D

I wasn't impressed with Eli in college and I will admit... He did impress me a few times when I watched him against Dallas. I think he's a slippery guy to sack... I agree with LSU in that I believe he has enough skills to have longevity in the league, but I don't think he'll ever be a HOF candidate.

...and on gambling... I WON PUTTING MONEY DOWN ON THE BOYS VS THE COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

...but why Oh why did I play the over???? 48.5??? Who was I kidding??? :(
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99

And I defended Eli in another thread. I guess I was basing my opinion on potential and pedigree. He's got a ways to go.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Vikings Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A site I came across that you may like.

www.TonyHomo.com
Old 11-21-2006, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings Fan

www.TonyHomo.com

holy ****.... that is one of the funniest things ive ever read... great site, you guys gotta check it out. nice post.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

www.TonyHomo.com
Someone has way too much time on their hands. I think that is sad. It's not even funny.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:12 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:

www.TonyHomo.com
It's not fun and it's not funny. Seriously Drew Bledsoe doesn't deserve that, he's been a classy stand up guy and handled himself with dignity and integrity. I'm really glad to have a proven veteran backup like Bledsoe just in case anything were to happen to Romo our season certainly wouldn't be lost.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
Quote:

www.TonyHomo.com
It's not fun and it's not funny. Seriously Drew Bledsoe doesn't deserve that, he's been a classy stand up guy and handled himself with dignity and integrity. I'm really glad to have a proven veteran backup like Bledsoe just in case anything were to happen to Romo our season certainly wouldn't be lost.
I agree somewhat. He's been classy, he handled it well. But if Romo is gone, the season is over IMO.[/list]

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Vikings Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He doesnt deserve it? Come on, its just a little joke at his expense. Like Favre jokes about painkillers. Bledsoe was a great QB and nothing can take it away from him, but that doesnt make him untouchable in the world of cheap laughs. Lighten up.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So now that we're done talking about that since it has nothing to do with the team...
What do you guys know about Travis Leffew G Louisville? I recognize the name, but don't remember too much about him. He played OT in college and was on the Packers practice squad before we signed him yesterday. Parcells said he was sort of a project.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
We've actually been criticizing TC and the coaching staff all year. Its not something we've just begun to do. Heck, we've criticized our offensive playbook in the offseason. These problems are nothing new, and naturally they'll rear their head when the team loses.

Quote:
Of course. We lost 3 major pieces on defense, thats equivalent to you guys losing Ware, Roy Williams, and Bradie James. We are built on pressure, but name me a defense that can still succeed without their 3 best pass rushers. Take away the pass rushers, and any defense will crumble. If you guys lost Ware, Ellis and Carpenter, which is equivalent to our injuries, your defense would take a huge dive as well. Im not putting our defense in the same breathe as yours, but naturally when you lose 3 integral pieces on defense, it will faulter no matter what you have in the other positions. You can have the best secondary in the world, no one can cover NFL receivers for 5 seconds. No pressure, and your pass defense crumbles, thats how it is for everyone.

Quote:
That pretty much sums it up. Eli is not playing well at all. If we're gonna go anywhere, he needs to improve bottomline. His mistakes are correctable, but if he doesn't correct them, then its over. I think you underestimate your interior D though. Pierce does a great job stopping the run up the gut, and Coffield has done a good job filling in at NT. Im not a huge Robbins fan, but he has been playing well. The problem now is with our Ends gone, teams are running offtackle and sweeps on us all day. Thats the issue. And because of that, we are moving our OLBs over the side more, and now that opens up the interior run. Thats the main issue, our vulnerability to the outside run now that our DEs are depleted. Its a dominoe effect for the rest of the defense.

Quote:
Yeah, the whole league is a crapshoot. Like I said before, it would not surprise me at all if a 8-8 team makes the playoffs in the NFC. Outside of Chicago, the 2nd best record in the NFC is 6-4 right now, shared by 5 teams. Just imagine how much will change just in this week alone when more of those teams win/lose and create some separation (if you can even call it that). I personally hate the parity, I think its getting to be too much, but thats just how it is. Imagine how hard it must be for gamblers...the bookies are making a killing.

That said, if the Giants can just survive this storm and hold serve, we can make the playoffs, maybe even win the division. We own all tiebreakers over all the 6-4 teams (except maybe Seattle I believe), so if we can just hold serve, we'll be ok. Thats a big IF considering how bad we are playing right now. But like you said, the season is so up and down, you just never know whats gonna happen next.

I understand all the injuries, etc. However, you are wrong that them losing Osi, Strahan and Tuck is equivalent to us losing Ware, Ellis and Carpenter. Maybe on a player-quality level it is close, but our defense is not based upon creating pressure the way that the Giants is. Philisophically, teams decide what they are. Some play pressure schemes, others play coverage. We are much more of a coverage team, whereas a team like the Redskins or Eagles are pressure oriented. Any way you look at it, losing quality guys is going to hurt your defense. And pressure players are one of the, if not THE, most valuable to a team. But for you guys to lose the foundation of your defense like that hurts you worse than, say, losing Arrington and Pierce would.

Also, the deficiencies with players like Madison, Webster, McQuarters and your SS from Baltimore (forgot his name for a sec) are usually made up for by those terrors coming off the edge. Take those away, or even put slightly above average DEs in their place, and all of a sudden that secondary becomes remarkably easy to exploit (a la the Jags the other night, a below average passing team with a ton of drops and they still rack up the stats).

Still, there is a lot there to work with. Plax is a good player who can makes some big plays. Shockey is loaded with talent if he can just translate it to more production. The O-line, even with the loss of Petitgout, is still, imo, a strength. And you've got Tiki, which speaks for itself. You're just going to have to become a team that wins by putting up tons of points. You can no longer rely upon your defense to make catalytic plays to set the O up in a position to score. I think that's the fundamental change in philosophy that must occur until Osi and Mike come back. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Either way, you're not going to be winning games with your defense.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I understand all the injuries, etc. However, you are wrong that them losing Osi, Strahan and Tuck is equivalent to us losing Ware, Ellis and Carpenter. Maybe on a player-quality level it is close, but our defense is not based upon creating pressure the way that the Giants is. Philisophically, teams decide what they are. Some play pressure schemes, others play coverage. We are much more of a coverage team, whereas a team like the Redskins or Eagles are pressure oriented. Any way you look at it, losing quality guys is going to hurt your defense. And pressure players are one of the, if not THE, most valuable to a team. But for you guys to lose the foundation of your defense like that hurts you worse than, say, losing Arrington and Pierce would.

Also, the deficiencies with players like Madison, Webster, McQuarters and your SS from Baltimore (forgot his name for a sec) are usually made up for by those terrors coming off the edge. Take those away, or even put slightly above average DEs in their place, and all of a sudden that secondary becomes remarkably easy to exploit (a la the Jags the other night, a below average passing team with a ton of drops and they still rack up the stats).

Still, there is a lot there to work with. Plax is a good player who can makes some big plays. Shockey is loaded with talent if he can just translate it to more production. The O-line, even with the loss of Petitgout, is still, imo, a strength. And you've got Tiki, which speaks for itself. You're just going to have to become a team that wins by putting up tons of points. You can no longer rely upon your defense to make catalytic plays to set the O up in a position to score. I think that's the fundamental change in philosophy that must occur until Osi and Mike come back. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Either way, you're not going to be winning games with your defense.
Yeah, we're gonna get scored on in the coming weeks until our defense gets healthy again. I think a major loss in the secondary was Madison. He was the guy we put in man coverage and when we played a blitz oriented man coverage defense, he did very well in that assingment. He's not a great zone defender, but still a very serviceable man coverage defender. Losing him forced us to play that zone scheme that TL uses that we hate because Webster can't cover a thing and can't be trusted in man coverage. Now because of that, coupled with no pressure, offenses are just picking us apart. He was a huge loss. McQuarters is also a good defender, if you notice, teams right now are picking on Webster, and finding seems in our zone coverages between the Corner and Safeties, because our safeties lack the speed to break on the ball in zone defense.

If we can get just one of our DEs back, and Madison back, we can get back to respectable on defense. Thats a big IF though. Madison's hammy is gonna take some time to heal, and word on the street is our DEs are out for the season. If thats the case, you guys have the division in the bag.

If you want to beat us, its so simple right now. Off tackle runs, and sweeps to the outside. We can't stop it. We have a DT at DE, all you gotta do is run sweeps at him, and he lacks the speed to catch the rb to the corner, its guaranteed 4 yards every play. Once we adjust to the outside, now the interior opens up, and run right at it. Thats what Jacksonville and Chicago did. On pass plays, leave 6 guys in to block, you'll have all day, and just find the seems in our zones.

Our offense definately needs to step it up. Around here, the talk of the town is giving Eli the no huddle. He is just a different qb when he gets to call his own plays. TC has not commented on the matter, so we're all anxious to see if he will give Eli the freedom. The inherit flaw in TC's playbook, and the main reason why Eli plays better in the no huddle is the utilization of Shockey. In TC's book, he's a decoy, stretch receiver. When Eli calls the plays, he uses him as an intermediate/short route player and as a safety valve. I think thats a big reason why he plays so much better in the no huddle.

For example, this past game, Shockey caught 6 passes for 80ish yards. But, what most don't realize is, all 6 of those catches were when Eli ran the no huddle. Huffnagel did not call Shockey's # even once the entire game, and called his number only once against the Bears. Eli ran the no huddle on 4 drives, one resulted in a TD, the other wouldve been a TD had Carter not fumbled on the 8 yard line, 1 was a Plaxico dropped pass away from being in the redzone, and the other was 3 and out. Still much better than when TC runs the show. But regardless, Eli needs to step it up.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Shockey obviously should be more involved in the game, but the no-huddle isn't the answer. It takes more chances and while it may be more productive on offense, it can kill the defense. What happens when they go 3 and out on offense twice in a row and the defense just runs out of energy? Also, the no huddle, to a certain extent, is designed to work against teams with a more conservative defensive gameplan. It can cause a lot of turnovers is the defense is being more aggressive. The chance of a turnover is worth it late in the game when you're behind, but not when the score is 10-7 in the first.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Shockey obviously should be more involved in the game, but the no-huddle isn't the answer. It takes more chances and while it may be more productive on offense, it can kill the defense. What happens when they go 3 and out on offense twice in a row and the defense just runs out of energy? Also, the no huddle, to a certain extent, is designed to work against teams with a more conservative defensive gameplan. It can cause a lot of turnovers is the defense is being more aggressive. The chance of a turnover is worth it late in the game when you're behind, but not when the score is 10-7 in the first.
Well look at it this way, we're going 3 and out and turning it over anyway in the set offense. So whats there to lose? In fact, we turn it over and go 3 and out at a much higher rate in our base offense.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So now that we're done talking about that since it has nothing to do with the team...
What do you guys know about Travis Leffew G Louisville? I recognize the name, but don't remember too much about him. He played OT in college and was on the Packers practice squad before we signed him yesterday. Parcells said he was sort of a project.
Wow! Leffew, huh? Interesting. True, he spent the majority of his time at Louisville at tackle, but he also played guard for them early in his college career. He's a much better Guard prospect than a tackle prospect at the NFL level. His size is not ideal for a tackle. He needs to add strength. However, he's very intelligent and is a guy that could be a nice Utility lineman for us. Could be a nice surprise. He's been incredibly durable in college and I thought he was a 5th round prospect... Dunno where he ended up being picked, but I'm at least interested in seeing what he's got. There is some nice potential there. He received several awards in college... and I know Louisville has had a good OL. Jason Spitz was also on that line.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Well look at it this way, we're going 3 and out and turning it over anyway in the set offense. So whats there to lose? In fact, we turn it over and go 3 and out at a much higher rate in our base offense.
The Giants were a prime candidate to be a team ravaged my injuries. When the schedules came out and the Giants were noted as the team with the toughest schedule, that was a telling sign. In addition, with all the preseason talk about how tough the NFC East was... and how we'd be beating up on each other... I was worried that we'd again be the team with the most injuries, but it looks like the Giants are that team.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If tomorrow game didn't look good enough, heres the players that will play tomorrow for the Bucs: S. Rice, J. Bolden, Quarles, Wyms and few others. There defense is screwed.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If tomorrow game didn't look good enough, heres the players that will play tomorrow for the Bucs: S. Rice, J. Bolden, Quarles, Wyms and few others. There defense is screwed.
Beware of the trap game.

But seriously...you guys have to win this one. Even if you show up halfass, you should still win it.

Looking ahead, the thought of Bob Whitfield blocking DeMarcus Ware is waking me up at night... :(
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Beware of the trap game.

But seriously...you guys have to win this one. Even if you show up halfass, you should still win it.

Looking ahead, the thought of Bob Whitfield blocking DeMarcus Ware is waking me up at night... :(
I thought Arizona was our trap game. I really felt that way. This time, I'm totally the opposite. I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing... Oh well... We'll see soon enough.

BP said that our coaching staff really prepared well starting last week for this game and that he's more prepared now than the past Thanksgiving games he's had in Dallas since coming here. That to me is a good sign at the very least.

If we get beat by a rookie QB on a bad team... We deserve coal in our stockings on Christmas morning.