Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Saints vs. Falcons Thread

I think Atlanta's defense is good enough to control New Orleans' offense. They have the linebackers to match up with Reggie Bush, they have the D-Line that should give New Orleans' O-Line issues, and the secondary has played well all season except for that MNF game against the Giants' stellar passing attack.

The game should depend on who wins out in the battle of the inept: Atlanta's lousy offense versus New Orleans' swiss cheese defense. That is what will determine the game; a game which will probably determine who is the worst team in the division.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Honestly I'd be surprised to see the Falcons offense pull one out...then again it has shown signs of life at certain points this year. People are blaming Petrino's offense for being not ready for the NFL, however I'd be more willing to say that our NFL team isn't ready to implement his offense. Basically because our Offensive line has no cohesion and it will not anytime soon until we can lock in some people long term in this new system. I hope that Foster can improve quickly and hold a position and not make that a need for us in the draft, however, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Back to the game...

Reggie Bush I'm not worried about...our defense is no joke. With the exception of Williams getting into the kicker after we forced a 3 and out, I really think that changed the game and gave the Giants the confidence they needed to be able to march down the field and score. But Bush doesn't scare me, he actually makes me happy that he's there and not Deuce. Colston...incredible hands, period, but he shouldn't be an issue either...there's going to be a lot of moving him around to keep him away from Deangelo, I really just think our defense is good enough to keep us close. But our offense just hasn't gotten it done for us.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It isn't the scheme's fault. The offensive talent on the Falcons is atrocious and would be in a bottom of the barrel in any scheme.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The game should depend on who wins out in the battle of the inept: Atlanta's lousy offense versus New Orleans' swiss cheese defense. That is what will determine the game; a game which will probably determine who is the worst team in the division.
Depends on if Gibbs sticks with the High pressure blitz packages. We don't have the personnel to get pressure with only four down linemen, and we definitely don't have the type of coverage Defenders to drop back and play effective zone. We'll get burned both ways..but at least when we move some people around and send extra guys we can disrupt a QB, and force some pressured decisions. If we go back to a passive approach we won't get pressure, and Harrington is good enough to were he can be effective against our Defense.

Offensively I just think the Saints need to stay patient, and play smart football. I don't envision them having huge success early on, but if Payton stays the course with the run, Reggie keeps moving forward, and Brees makes smart decisions with the football..eventually opportunities will open up.

Best bet for the Falcons winning would be for them to come out of the gate swinging and establish if a 2 score lead on the Saints early. If you get the Saints down early, Payton will tend to abandon the run more or less, and we become 1-Dimensional which leads to Pass rushers just teeing off, and Brees pressing and forcing bad throws.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like Shiver therefore...

Saints will big. ;)
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Auron raises a good point, Gibbs probably shouldn't let up in devising blitz packages. If the Saints' front four can't generate pressure on Joey Harrington, he can deliver fairly accurate passes to attack the secondary. The Falcons receivers may not have the best of hands, but they aren't wanting when it comes to speed.

The Giants did a very good job of deciding when to blitz and being effective in doing it, as Harrington was off his spot and often pressured.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, expect the Saints to bring the blitz.

Byron Leftwich is now the starting quarterback for the Falcons.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Saints, but I expect a low scoring debacle

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'll be an interesting test to see if our offense can keep up the momentum from the Seahawks game (the Falcons have a lot of speed on their defense). If so, I definitely like our chances. The offensive line just has to give Brees enough time to deliver the football and open holes for #25. We'll see.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Chris Houston will get the start at CB for the Falcons. He'll be matched up against Moore/Patten most of the game... should be an interesting matchup to watch.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Chris Houston will get the start at CB for the Falcons. He'll be matched up against Moore/Patten most of the game... should be an interesting matchup to watch.
Yes it should.. I know myself and a lot of Saints fans wanted us to take Houston in the Draft.

Either way if we can't get significant pressure on an immobile Leftwich, I give up all hope on this Defense. I also really would like Usama Young to play, and be out on the field on Defense more often.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Yes it should.. I know myself and a lot of Saints fans wanted us to take Houston in the Draft.
I know I did. He was my favorite prospect in the draft. But, it looks like we got a stud in Usama ourselves in limited play so I'm not sweating it too much.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post

Either way if we can't get significant pressure on an immobile Leftwich, I give up all hope on this Defense. I also really would like Usama Young to play, and be out on the field on Defense more often.
Actually the notion that Leftwich is often sacked is a myth. He actually gets sacked a lot less than Ben Roethlisberger, for example. Then again that was behind the Jaguars O-Line, not the 'in transition' Falcons' O-Line....

Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Leftwich does get a bad rap about being immobile, worse than he actually is. Probably stems from, as he says, being the slowest black quarterback in the league. But he's as mobile as say Carson Palmer, if not maybe moreso.

It's his god-awful release, anticipation, and touch that are the problems.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Leftwich does get a bad rap about being immobile, worse than he actually is. Probably stems from, as he says, being the slowest black quarterback in the league. But he's as mobile as say Carson Palmer, if not maybe moreso.

It's his god-awful release, anticipation, and touch that are the problems.
I hope Will Smith, Charles Grant & Roman Harper all have big days. If so, I like our chances.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm happy to see that our team is moving forward with the season trying to get a 'spark' with these younger guys finally getting more play time. We have to know what's going on and keep our heads on right as fans and hope that we can get our young guys some experience that will be exceptionally valuable next season.

We just need to be looking for our team to be getting better as the year wears on and not be worried too much about winning games.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just when things were going well.

Augh.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Leftwich looked really good and he got hurt. He just cannot escape the injury curse. He is actually a very good QB when he's on the field.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Have to give props to the Falcons, they played tough and fought hard. There were many times in the game I thought they held the advantage.. Big blow to have Leftwich injured he seemed to have a confident grasp of the Offense and was able to make key conversions to set his team up to score.